Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

no clue but bonestorms my fav segment of viral

I like the other things I’ve seen from Benson and Moorehead, but Bonestorm was rough.

I thought the characters were obnoxious, the action repetitive/nonsensical, and the camera work too frantic.

To each their own, though.

I don’t have Shudder so I guess I’m stuck on my attempt to catch up with the franchise for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Please tell me that Bonestorm references this

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
No but it has skeletons finding skater teens

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

No but it has skeletons finding skater teens

sold

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That was supposed to say fighting but all the same I suppose

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The Patient better really knock it out of the park next week with the finale because this is really dragging. This should have been 6 episodes maximum.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

The Patient better really knock it out of the park next week with the finale because this is really dragging. This should have been 6 episodes maximum.

I can't figure out if it's actually dragging or if it just feels like it due to the 30 minute episodes. I bet it would be a much better binge watch than weekly.

It is a frustrating show. Every week feels like something is about to happen and then it doesn't

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

I can't figure out if it's actually dragging or if it just feels like it due to the 30 minute episodes. I bet it would be a much better binge watch than weekly.

It is a frustrating show. Every week feels like something is about to happen and then it doesn't

It probably would've been a great 90 minute film

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i gave up by ep 3 when i realized he wasnt getting out of the loving basement

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The final line in the new episode was amazing lol.

I dunno I think it’s a good show but it’s segmented and paced in this way that it’s just sort of frustrating. But the performances and writing are great.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

So that's a definite negative response on the 30 minute episode suspense format from the survey group

e I like it and I wish I'd find more of these shows way after they were done, like Severance. It just looked like it was going to be some dumb office thing so I never watched it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actually have really come to appreciate 30 minute episodes in general lately, but I don't know how well it works for glacially paced drama thrillers.

On one hand I really enjoy the characters. Steve Carrel and Domhnall Gleeson are fantastic in it. I look forward to it every week just for their interactions, which tbh is mostly the point of the show. But at the same time literally every episode is like, Steve Carrel thinking about getting out of the basement>Steve Carrel does not get out of the basement. As far story goes it's pretty much at square one and nothing has happened since the first episode. Every escape attempt either fails miserably or he wusses out. Which is fine, but there's really no new developments in the story. He's still in the basement, no one knows he's there, and I have no idea how or if he will get out.

If you go in expecting to watch two actors chew scenery it's good, but as a thriller it's very uneventful.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

FishBowlRobot posted:

I thought the characters were obnoxious, ..., and the camera work too frantic.

I feel like that is the kind of the point. Its about skater kids filming a skating video and then suddenly having to fight evil skeletons. Its a skater video version of a horror film.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm watching Polar its uhh loving cool? we'll see

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Beast was fun and doesn’t wear out it’s welcome. Thumbs up.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I understand The Sopranos was considered great television back in the day.

But God drat this poo poo sucks. Every character is a fat Italian-American caricature and it’s directed like absolute poo poo. It’s looks terrible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What an absolutely cursed opinion lol.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Clearly a discerning and free-thinking tv consumer.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

sponges posted:

But God drat this poo poo sucks. Every character is a fat Italian-American caricature and it’s directed like absolute poo poo. It’s looks terrible.

Maybe the most dogshit opinion in this thread

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

sponges posted:

I'm not sure I agree with your reasoning for disliking it, but I didn't watch it until like a decade after it went off the air, and struggled to get through it. I probably would have given up had the guy I was dating at the time not continuously pressured me to keep watching it, as he watched me eagerly just waiting for the moment when I would finally fall in love with it. I never did, but I recognize that it's a big part of the reason for the new golden age of television.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I haven't watched it, but I got the impression that the characters not being actually connected to any legitimate Italian heritage was a big joke of the show and that it presents their lifestyles as a kind of pathetic imitation that has no place in the modern world.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The sopranos invented prestige television which is a grave sin in itself

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm not sure I agree with your reasoning for disliking it, but I didn't watch it until like a decade after it went off the air, and struggled to get through it. I probably would have given up had the guy I was dating at the time not continuously pressured me to keep watching it, as he watched me eagerly just waiting for the moment when I would finally fall in love with it. I never did, but I recognize that it's a big part of the reason for the new golden age of television.

I watched Sopranos for the first time all the way through 2 years ago and I absolutely loved it, but you have to be into the vibe of the darkest comedy ever.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Martman posted:

I haven't watched it, but I got the impression that the characters not being actually connected to any legitimate Italian heritage was a big joke of the show and that it presents their lifestyles as a kind of pathetic imitation that has no place in the modern world.

yes, and it is quite pointedly the main theme of the show. they go as far as flying the characters to Italy to demonstrate that not only are these morons considered pariahs by other italian americans, they are rejected as idiot posers by the (equally fronting) Italian criminals as well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think I would call that the main theme of the show...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Unless you meant episode in which case, yeah.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I generally don't like mafia poo poo at all. I think it's usually corny and glorifies dumb irredeemable assholes and I'm not gonna go :can: but I really don't like some of the most beloved mafia films. Sopranos was a hard sell for me. I tried to watch it and was put off by it multiple times within the first couple episodes back when it started gaining some buzz. But around the time HBO streaming became a thing, I decided I'd force myself to see what all the hubub was about, which was also when the show had just wrapped up, so I binged the whole thing. It's easily the best show ever made and entirely warrants it's reputation. Just rewatched it again recently and it's still unbeatable.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
In the way of euro-drama TV, I'm digging Kleo - a part-time Stasi agent gets burnt by her controllers and thrown in jail, then the Berlin Wall falls and she's released and goes looking for an explanation and revenge. It's a light quirky comedy that gets a lot of mileage from trashy 80s fashion, awkward grotesque characters and the occasional well timed twist. Surprisingly fun.

I enjoyed The Longest Night - an isolated psychiatric prison is put under siege by forces looking to rescue a prisoner, that the authorities are unable to give up. It does seem to just end with about an episode of unresolved plot threads, which I fear may be stretched into a whole other season.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Martman posted:

Yeah, that's an ongoing subtext that eventually becomes outright text when they actually fly over to Italy to meet with some mafia people from the old country, and obviously some conflicts ensue.

But yeah, it can be a bit tough to watch. I eventually fell off after season 3 or thereabouts, because as entertaining as it was, you're still watching absolutely terrible people do horrible things all the time and that can just get a bit depressing after a while.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

you’ll find that the fatness and italianness of the men in the sopranos plays quite masterfully into the plot

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The sopranos is a fun show about a good guy with cool friends and a terrible therapist.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I don't think I would call that the main theme of the show...

the family exist as hollowed out facsimiles of human beings, completely divorced from all conventional morality, clinging to a manufactured Italian immigrant striver mythology as a way to excuse their sociopathy. their fakeness and how it interacts with normal society, including their faux Italian fronting, is the main theme.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I haven’t seen The Sopranos either but the clips I have seen all look pretty bad (as in how it’s lit and shot).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The takes...the takes keep on getting worse!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
This is great! Now I know who not to trust when it comes to takes.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The sopranos is absolutely dripping with that early 2000s funk so it might be a little off putting if you don’t get any nostalgia for that era

I think Janice is my favorite

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Color TV is a mistake

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i completely forgot The Peripheral was even in the works and now it's coming out and it looks SO loving GOOD i can't believe we're getting a legitimately great Gibson adaptation AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I ended up deciding to watch the new Hellraiser last night without going back and watching the originals. While it was visually impressive, it was not a movie for me. I didn't find it particularly scary, but I watched the whole thing with my face all scrunched up. They almost went the route of the kill your gays trope, but only halfway in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I think Janice is my favorite

Shageletic posted:

The takes...the takes keep on getting worse!

My fiancee and I are watching the show for the first time and just reached the end of season 3. The slow is tremendous but boy do we both hate Janice