Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So has anyone tried running Stable Diffusion on a 4090 yet? How long does one image take, ca it do more than 1fps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Arrath posted:

A friend of mine now has a 4090 and his gently used 3080 is looking for a new home. I currently run 1440 ultrawide, but have been considering moving to a high refresh 1440 screen.

1) Is the 3080 a decent-enough step up from my 2070 Super?
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3080-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2070S-Super/4080vs4048
decide for yourself, I'd say

quote:

2) What's a fair price to pay if it is a good upgrade?
Whatever you and your friend agree is fair. When I sell GPUs and stuff generally over a few hundred bucks on SA mart, I usually look at the last 10 sold ebay auctions, calculate the average price including shipping, and then try to sell on here for roughly 15% under that. When I offer stuff to meatspace friends it is usually in the same ballpark but more subject to barter ("you gave me that ounce of weed last month but then I helped you mount a TV and then you helped us pick up our car, so, uh, knock off another $50?")

based on this if I was trying to sell a stock FE3080 on SA mart right now, looking at ebay, $530-580 is where we're landing, 85% of $550 is $467.50, I would personally list it here for $430 plus shipping and maybe offer it to a friend for 400. 3090s are eBaying around $800 right now and I am haggling with a friend to unload mine to him for 700 plus 100 for an RMX850. Not that you really care, but, hey, you asked!!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I humbly suggest that any time someone links userbenchmark it should have a warning like :siren:Userbenchmark is an insane Intel fanboy and anything from the site should be taken with a planetary-sized grain of salt:siren:.

In this case the comparison looks more or less okay, but people should be aware that userbenchmark does all sorts of weird poo poo, like their definition of "eFPS": https://www.userbenchmark.com/Faq/What-are-effective-frames-per-second-EFps/112

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Userbenchmark fiddles with results enough to make AMD look bad that I wouldn't even trust comparisons that don't involve AMD, because the numbers have probably been inflated in some way.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Whatever you and your friend agree is fair. When I sell GPUs and stuff generally over a few hundred bucks on SA mart, I usually look at the last 10 sold ebay auctions, calculate the average price including shipping, and then try to sell on here for roughly 15% under that. When I offer stuff to meatspace friends it is usually in the same ballpark but more subject to barter ("you gave me that ounce of weed last month but then I helped you mount a TV and then you helped us pick up our car, so, uh, knock off another $50?")

Well said.

I have horrible impulse control and always have the best technology so this is something I go through with my friends constantly. I tend to sell for 35-50% below market to friends.

The inherent issue here is that the friend who owns the technology should be the one to set the price, because you, as the buyer, are going to have an awkward time if you just ask a price 30% under market and act like that's fair. He should offer it, not the other way around.

In the end mixing money between friends can be a little rough and your friend will hopefully be totally chill with selling to you for a great price, especially if you guys go a ways back.

But yeah unfortunately that has to be a decision your friend comes to on his end and mostly has to do with his disposable income, laziness to offload elsewhere, and how much he sacrifices for his buddies.

(this is assuming you want a below-market bro price discount. If you don't want to rely on his good graces and just set a market price, then sure, shoot him a data-based quote).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d say go for the 3080 imo.

I think it’s worth it for 1440

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Arrath posted:

A friend of mine now has a 4090 and his gently used 3080 is looking for a new home. I currently run 1440 ultrawide, but have been considering moving to a high refresh 1440 screen.

1) Is the 3080 a decent-enough step up from my 2070 Super?

As somebody who used a 2070 Super for ~6 months while I waited for my 3080 in EVGA's queue and who is also using a high-refresh main screen at 1440p--yes the upgrade is worth it. I don't have numbers to reference, but the difference was tangible.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

As somebody who used a 2070 Super for ~6 months while I waited for my 3080 in EVGA's queue and who is also using a high-refresh main screen at 1440p--yes the upgrade is worth it. I don't have numbers to reference, but the difference was tangible.

Yeah, I upgraded from a 2070 Super to a 3080 12GB and at 1440p it makes a big difference.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thanks everyone, I was looking through old GN videos and other benchmarks and it does seem like a solid upgrade, let the haggling begin.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Anyone have experience buying things on Mercari? I’m seeing GPUs listed for 100 or more less than on eBay. I assume the buyer protection on Mercari is much worse than eBay?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've never used Mercari before, but

quote:

Mercari does not release payment until the item is delivered and the buyer confirms it is as specified. If an item received is not as described in the listing, the buyer may request a full refund within 3 days of receipt of the item.

Those sub-$500 3080s seem awfully tempting.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't used it either but I always avoid it cause whatever came back when I tried googling about them, seems they come up in a LOT of different Google shopping results for a ton of products and it's always a little bit too good to be true pricing I see.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've never used Mercari before, but

Those sub-$500 3080s seem awfully tempting.

Tell me about it….

I mean I assume they are miner cards being offloaded but it seems like maybe since it’s a less well known platform there might be some deals to be had?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Intel has addressed concerns about idle power draw on Arc by explaining that to enable low power states on the card you need to go into the bios and windows power plan to adjust some settings https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-has-a-solution-for-high-idle-power-on-intel-arc-desktop-gpus

just lmao at requiring the user to do this work just to have basic gpu features such as "idling"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh lawd he only wants $300 for that 3080. Sold!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arrath posted:

That’s the steal of the decade

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Intel has addressed concerns about idle power draw on Arc by explaining that to enable low power states on the card you need to go into the bios and windows power plan to adjust some settings https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-has-a-solution-for-high-idle-power-on-intel-arc-desktop-gpus

just lmao at requiring the user to do this work just to have basic gpu features such as "idling"

looks at smashed pins zen 1 I have as a paperweight

Yeah that’d be crazy.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

That’s the steal of the decade

He's a good dude.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

mobby_6kl posted:

So has anyone tried running Stable Diffusion on a 4090 yet? How long does one image take, ca it do more than 1fps?

Close but not exactly, except maybe img2img

I just got 31 images 512x512 in 42 seconds with Automatic1111, around 5.87it/s most of the way through.

Maybe I could mess with some stuff to get it going faster though

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/8k-av1-decoding-compared

Intel really does do media encode/decode better than anyone, huh. A770 handles 8K AV1 video smoothly while Nvidia drops a lot of frames and AMD is utterly unwatchable. AMD is dropping a lot of frames even with 4K 60FPS AV1 video, which is a more relevant use case.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I'm fully cheering for Intel to Actually Do Something in GPUs here, it'd be great for everyone if we had a strong third competitor in the field and better encoding is a start I guess.

Re: "3080 or not" chat above, I had the 3070 Ti at first, used my old 2070 non-super while it was in flight returning, and upgraded in the end to a 3080 12GB and holy poo poo it was super worth it. The 3080 is the sweet spot for my performance needs, the others were compromise territory. Getting one for $300 is sick as gently caress, mine cost $800 (ok, long story but I actually only ended up paying $699 for it in the end, still $300 smokes that).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Idk if it means anything besides supplies being limited, but fwiw the 750 and 770 quickly go out of stock whenever they’re available at Newegg.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Arrath posted:

He's a good dude.

A+ mates rates

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/8k-av1-decoding-compared

Intel really does do media encode/decode better than anyone, huh. A770 handles 8K AV1 video smoothly while Nvidia drops a lot of frames and AMD is utterly unwatchable. AMD is dropping a lot of frames even with 4K 60FPS AV1 video, which is a more relevant use case.

I really want an A310 to chuck in my bottom slot to use as an encoding card. The difference in quality between H264 and AV1 for discord streaming (a near daily occurance for me) is night and day.

I wish discord just let me run AV1 on my CPU though, I know it's very intensive but I'm usually not loading it much while streaming.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

If either the Intel Arc or Arc Pro are confirmed to support SR-IOV I'll definitely pick up an A380 or equiv Pro card and throw it into a VM host for encoding (and other purposes), once support for it catches up in KVM. Best info I have currently is 'maybe' on Arc/Arc Pro supporting SR-IOV, and '2023' for KVM support, so we'll see.

There's always the Flex line of server cards, which look impressive and don't require additional vGPU licenses but will probably cost an arm and a leg as they're competing against Nvidia products costing $2500 and up.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
4k60 not being a solved hardware decode problem for av1 does ... not sound reassuring?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Arrath posted:

Hell of a friend — keep him around because he clearly values your relationship more than making money. That feels kinda rare anymore.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

The rumours were true - the 4090 FE is larger than the 3080 FE:

The case is a Corsair 4000D and I'd say there is perhaps a millimetre or two of space between the tempered glass side panel and the 4090's power cable/adapter thing. I may chuck Corsair a tenner for the solid side panel since the case lives under a desk anyway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It's interesting to compare how AMD kept the same HSF mounting height for AM5 when people would've liked to see a thinner IHS to this new, stupid power cable placement on the 40 series.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

SuperTeeJay posted:

The case is a Corsair 4000D and I'd say there is perhaps a millimetre or two of space between the tempered glass side panel and the 4090's power cable/adapter thing. I may chuck Corsair a tenner for the solid side panel since the case lives under a desk anyway.

I'm sure you'll notice a huge difference in PUBG!

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Animal posted:

I'm sure you'll notice a huge difference in PUBG!
Both it and Gmail are rendering at 240fps so I am happy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You can now run Doom in Notepad

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

SuperTeeJay posted:

Oh this is a good way to make the case pic relevant, sneaky!

I'm picking up mine as soon as I can get out of this fuckin' work meeting (MSRP MSI Gaming Trio 4090). Gimme the loot baby

We work with Nvidia at my job actually but all I have to show for it is a pretty sweet Nvidia mug, they're stingy af with the bro deals.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

kliras posted:

4k60 not being a solved hardware decode problem for av1 does ... not sound reassuring?

Honestly I watch enough YouTube on a second monitor while playing games that I wouldn't mind picking up an Intel card just for video decode, but apparently Chrome doesn't let you actually choose which GPU to use for hardware acceleration. I am sick of stuttering frames while watching videos and playing games

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

If either the Intel Arc or Arc Pro are confirmed to support SR-IOV I'll definitely pick up an A380 or equiv Pro card and throw it into a VM host for encoding (and other purposes), once support for it catches up in KVM. Best info I have currently is 'maybe' on Arc/Arc Pro supporting SR-IOV, and '2023' for KVM support, so we'll see.

There's always the Flex line of server cards, which look impressive and don't require additional vGPU licenses but will probably cost an arm and a leg as they're competing against Nvidia products costing $2500 and up.

You mean as a second, extra GPU? Can you not just pass through the entire IOMMU group and the gpu wouldn’t care?

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

Shipon posted:

Honestly I watch enough YouTube on a second monitor while playing games that I wouldn't mind picking up an Intel card just for video decode, but apparently Chrome doesn't let you actually choose which GPU to use for hardware acceleration. I am sick of stuttering frames while watching videos and playing games

I've found that enabling "Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling" actually helps in my case, ymmv.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Shipon posted:

not a chrome user, but this is the recommended os-level approach for firefox fwiw

(i only have the one gpu atm, no igpu on the 5800X3D either)

not specific to arc, but probably works? although i have no idea if you have both an igpu and two different gpu's

kliras fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 19, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shipon posted:

This is actually an interesting use case and not the worst idea tbh

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shipon posted:

For hardware accelerated decode, wouldn't it use the GPU that the monitor is plugged into? I'd assume? I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Shipon posted:

I am sick of stuttering frames while watching videos and playing games

It’s a loving drag and I thought it was just me and my lame-rear end card.