Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Taylor album being all Antonoff makes me wary. His work with her is neither of their best.

Carly though hell yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I heard a funny idea for a goof where Billie and one of the girls Antonoff works with a lot (Taylor, Lorde, or Carly) swap producers just the craziness of a Antonoff-produced Billie Eilish album and Finneas doing one for Tayor, Lorde or Carly

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Finneas x Lorde sounds like a winner

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I talked my brother into going to see Carly tonight and he just sent me a message describing it as "Absolute queen poo poo"

:sickos:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/thelordecrave/status/1582859598699995136

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress yes

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Guardian posted midnights review early then deleted it. I am spoiler tagging excerpts

>! Taylor Swift review, Midnights: The star’s darkest and most cryptic album yet Helen Brown !<

>!OK, Swifties. You liked the fairytale fictions and indie-cred boast of Taylor Swift’s pandemic alt-folk records. But you’ve been yearning for the intimacy you felt when she knocked out those confessional bangers, haven’t you? Well, the wait is over. Playing Midnights will make you feel as though you’re sleeping over at her house while she spills secrets and settles scores into the night. Over a series of murky electronic grooves (mostly co-written with Jack Antonoff), the pop star unpacks her darkest dreams, deepest doubts and cruellest thoughts. All the while she keeps things just cryptic enough to keep the tension crackling and the speculation buzzing.!<

>!That said, she’s already stopped speculation about the opening track, “Lavender Haze”. “Gaylor” fans who’ve stuck (rather doggedly) to a queer reading of Swift had hoped that the song might be a coming-out track because of the colour’s long association with gay culture. But in an Instagram post, Swift explained that she had happened upon the phrase while watching Mad Men and found it was vintage slang for a dreamy love glow. Against the throb of a synth bass, she appears to be addressing the misogynistic media obsession with whether or not she’s marrying actor boyfriend Joe Alwyn, with whom she’s been settled since 2016. “All they keep asking me / Is if I’m gonna be your bride / The only kinda girl they see / Is a one night or a bride” she notes (you can hear the eye-roll). But as the vocal layers build, she shakes off the judgement effortlessly: “Talk your talk and go viral / I just need this love to spiral.”!<

>!The slower, grimier texture of “Maroon” is a dive back into a past relationship (place your bets). Describing the affair, Swift sings of it decaying from the initial pink of cheap rosé to the “rust that grew between telephones”.!<

>!She’s on her best, self-scrutinising storytelling form on the excellent “Anti-Hero”, which lyrically sends zinger after zinger bubbling up through the fuzz of distortion. She unpicks the unwieldiness of her stardom with terrific, surreal imagery. “Sometimes I feel like everyone is a sexy baby / And I’m the monster on the hill / Too big to hang out / Slowly lurching towards your city / Pierced through the heart but never killed.” She skewers her acts of public kindness, too: “Did you hear my covert narcissism / I disguise as altruism / Like some kind of congressman?”!<

>!Things get funnier as the singer, whose fortune is estimated at around $750m, slur-growls: “I have this dream my daughter-in-law kills me for the money / She thinks I left them in the will / The family gathers round and reads it / And then someone screams out ‘She’s laughing up at us from hell!’” Swift lays into her “niceness” again on the poppier swell of “Bejewelled”, on which she warns a guy that she has the capacity to light up rooms (and all the boys in the band) if he doesn’t pay more attention.!<

>!“You’re on Your Own, Kid” digs into a catchy-cute guitar melody – flecked with pretty pings that echo her early pop – as Swift looks back on the days when she sang her songs in the parking lot. Lines about starving her body, hoping for the perfect kiss, are a nod to her Romeo and Juliet teen dreams. This sweetness is balanced by the vocal distortions and rhythmic lurches of “Midnight Rain”, on which Swift revels in her role as a heartbreaker. By the time she gets to noirish rap “Vigilante S**t”, she’s relishing her shadow-self, ripping into a cheating lover. “I don’t dress for women / I don’t dress for men,” goes her predatory purr. “Lately, I’ve been dressing for revenge.” As ever, Swift drops just enough filmic detail to conjure a scene: an envelope handed to a wife who’s now driving her ex’s Benz. And there’s some classy-sharp wordplay about the guy who was “doing lines/ and crossing all of mine”. Through it all, the low vibration of the synth is stalked by the treble rattle of a snare drum. The effect is of a woman in stilettos hunting a shadow.!<

>!There’s been some excitement online about the teased track “Karma”. Many thought it would address her spat with Kanye West, and that it might have been taken from an album lost during that time. But the swipes at a “spiderboy, king of thieves” waving a “web of opacity” would suggest it’s about her ex, Spider-Man star Jake Gyllenhaal (who famously dumped her by text, breaking her heart and inspiring the album Red which she recently re-recorded). The album ends with “Mastermind”, which seems to be about Alwyn again – and includes a confession that, like “all wise women”, she engineered some aspects of their romance. “I’m only cryptic and Machiavellian because I care…” Ha.!<

>!The subtle melodies of Midnights take time to sink their claws in. But Swift’s feline vocal stealth and assured lyrical control ensures she keeps your attention. Turn the lights off and let these songs prowl around you. Just don’t expect their meanings to settle too biddably into your lap. Swift’s always as elusive as she is allusive.!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Please give me something more interesting than her last two albums

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
It's leaked and I was definitely less bored than the last two. After one listen, there were a couple songs I didn't love, but it felt like a perfectly fine Taylor Swift pop record.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Carly album is good but idk that many people are gonna prefer it to Emotion and Dedicated. Still a lot of killer tracks and I think a lot of it will really shine live

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Cast is amazing for these mini films

Album is going to be a visual album

https://twitter.com/taylorswift13/status/1583286291516772352?s=20&t=U_69ycsN__CdvnjLxBRgwg

https://twitter.com/futureofrep/status/1583280856906756096?s=20&t=U_69ycsN__CdvnjLxBRgwg

https://twitter.com/TSwiftNZ/status/1583292757010894849?s=20&t=U_69ycsN__CdvnjLxBRgwg

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 21, 2022

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening to the new Taylor now and it's okay. Definitely not hitting me anywhere near as hard as Folklore did. Vigilante poo poo sounds like her doing a Billie Eilish song. Gonna listen to the new Carly next.

e: Karma is the best song on the album

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 21, 2022

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
listening to taylor :love:

on bejeweled now

i loved “draw the cateye sharp enough to kill a man” hah

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Pragmatica posted:

listening to taylor :love:

on bejeweled now

i loved “draw the cateye sharp enough to kill a man” hah

It’s so loving good

I love these lyrics

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Halfway through new Carly album. Not as good as Emotion (but then what is?) but better than Dedicated.

Grabbed more more than the new Taylor album unfortunately.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

First listen ranking:

Midnight Rain
Anti-hero

Lavender Haze
Labyrinth
Vigilante poo poo
Bejeweled
Sweet Nothing
Mastermind

Maroon
Snow on the Beach
Question…?

First group is songs I instantly got, second group is a few where I either had no huge reaction positive or negative or I liked one part but not another, last group I don’t like immediately. I reserve the right to change any of these opinions as I listen more

edit: not as good as everlore/folkmore but better than Lover and Reputation (a few of these songs struck me as Reputation-esque without getting as cringe as that album did)

edit2: I think this confirms that Taylor needs to make an album about getting old produced by James Murphy I’m gonna keep wishing this into existence until it works

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 21, 2022

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
mastermind is definitely my favorite right now with first listen

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

theblackw0lf posted:

Halfway through new Carly album. Not as good as Emotion (but then what is?) but better than Dedicated.

Grabbed more more than the new Taylor album unfortunately.
Yeah, I'm only a handful of tracks into the new Carly but it's also grabbing me more than the new Taylor did. I honestly don't foresee myself listening to the new Taylor again all the way through at least, but this new Carly is good poo poo.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’m listening to new Carly and honestly this is not a drunk and alone at 1am album I’ll probably have to put it on tomorrow in my way to work

edit: someone needs to tell Carly that bonus tracks are supposed to not be better than most of the album tracks

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 21, 2022

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

This is how I feel. Emotion was an incredibly good album

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
1. Is the Supercut sample on Mastermind real

2. If so, is it in the beat/music or does Taylor just quote "In my head I do everything right" once or something like that

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao there really are some Eilish attempts on the Taylor huh

I quite like it overall though!

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Lavender Haze is so good! Also digging Anti-Hero, and Mastermind.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Updated ranking and more brief midnight Midnight thoughts, a few songs have been promoted to the best tier

Midnight Rain - I love the “thinking about alternate roads” genre that Taylor got into during the Folklore/Evermore era and this is that, but with some very cool and interesting production. I know the vocal filter on the chorus is gonna have its detractors but I have no problems with it
Karma - this is just a banger, I hope it’s a single eventually
Anti-hero - I see why she’s leading with this one, it’s goofy but fun and relatable and https://youtu.be/Nm-ZF9AfN40
You’re On Your Own, Kid - Taylor musing about coming up in the industry, I think those shots in the teaser with her and a younger-looking her must be from this song’s video
Mastermind - very sweet end credits song, props for putting Machiavellian into a pop song and making it flow well
Lavender Haze - I love the production on this one, the designated “Sexy Song”
Sweet Nothing - another very sweet love song about the joys of existing in someone else’s life, it’s funny that a song about something so simple can also be about having to deal with NFT weirdos

Labyrinth - this is one I’m still trying to decide how I feel, even within the song itself I go back and forth, the chorus is great but the verses… eh
Bejeweled - attempt at a banger that is no Karma, for whatever reason the sound of this one feels a little too bleep-bloop
Snow on the Beach - Taylor is back to overshadowing her female features, this isn’t nearly as good as it’s predecessor, Wildest Dreams

Question…? - I think I just don’t completely understand what’s going on here. The lyrics are really muddled in a way Taylor’s songs really aren’t generally and I’m not even sure if this is something meant to be aimed at the subject or about the subject to a third party?
Maroon - this just feels like a lesser version of a bunch of other things, even the name itself feels derivative of other Swift songs
Vigilante poo poo - Failed experiment, I understand what she’s going for and I’m just not a fan, I’m sure this song will have its lovers

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 21, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/taylorswift13/status/1583353058305900544?s=61&t=8LAN1BXvTISpOnc5Mofc_w

wait just a god drat second there’s more??!!

edit: and it’s better?! The production for Would’ve Could’ve Should’ve is absolutely insane and Bigger Than The Whole Sky is a heartripper, I can’t believe she left these off the album unless she just didn’t want to have to do them live

edit2 for instant takes, not ranked

The Great War: Aaron Dessner is back and he brought some evermore vibes with him, I like this. The chorus sounds very familiar, I can’t place it though
Bigger Than The Whole Sky: pretty clearly about pregnancy loss, very touching, I’ve already seen a lot of people who have been through situations like this talking about how close to home it hits. This one may go into the same category as Ronan and Soon You’ll Get Better where I know they’re good but I can’t listen to them often
Paris: feels like a lesser version of something that already exists on the album (Lavender Haze) but with a little more irony, probably the least interesting of the 3am tracks
High Infidelity: this is really funny, the picture she paints of this guy is so clear, someone who is so insular and in his own little world that he didn’t notice his partner cheating until it was too far gone
Glitch: a very light and fun and a little jazzy love song, this is the one that feels like it should have actually just been in the regular version, slip it right in where Vigilante poo poo sits and it gets much better in a snap
Could’ve Would’ve Should’ve: this might be the best song of the whole thing. The percussion is insane, she’s spitting venom at the unnamed antagonist (almost certainly John Mayer, who absolutely deserves it) and it sounds like thunder and fury. The way she summons her “younger Taylor” voice she’s been using to do the re-recordings to sing the line “give me back my girlhood, it was mine first” is amazing.
Dear Reader: this one actually does feel like a bonus track, it reminds me of It’s Time to Go but sounding more like the rest of Midnights

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 21, 2022

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think Midnights just isn't for me. Maybe Taylor isn't any more, either?

Like, the lyrics are still very good and all, but musically it's so boring. I'm begging for an instrument that isn't muted drums and minimalist synths, or a change of tone, or a melody that goes somewhere. And it's pretty much all a rehash of sounds from 1989/reputation/lover. Maybe I'm just bored of Jack Antonoff's poo poo.

My high points are probably Lavender Haze and You're on Your Own, Kid, but I don't know if I'll end up keeping them on repeat. I'll give the album another couple of tries but out of brand loyalty more than anything else.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the new Carly is going to land somewhere between EMOTION and Dedicated for me. It's definitely her most diverse album yet and not boring at all to listen to. You've got a handful of the typical high-energy 80s bops like Surrender My Heart, Talking to Yourself and Shooting Star but also disco with So Nice and TLT, cool groovy poo poo like Joshua Tree, Keep Away and No Thinking Over the Weekend, or even Far Away which weirdly takes me back to 90s adult contemporary (but in a good way). Actually on second listen this is hitting closer to EMOTION than I thought it would, it's kinda great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No Thinking Over the Weekend is a really great track.

On Taylor it’s me, I’m the person who likes Vigilante poo poo. It is an Eilish copy but it’s not too bad at it. Agreed with Anti-Hero, Karma, and Lavender Haze as highlights

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Will post full thoughts later cause HOLY poo poo THERE'S MORE TAYLOR WHAT but I will say now these two albums compliment each other really well, listening to them back to back ruled

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Carli album has been real good so far but there's a synth chord progression on "So Nice" that instantly reminded me of Random Access Memories that almost distracted me out of the song lol

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
omg there is more taylor?! what a wonderful thing to wake up to, and enjoy this brisk friday morning working from home

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
As someone whose experience with Taylor Swift is largely limited to radio singles and folklore / evermore:

I think I was charmed by the careful balance of abstract storytelling and occasional random specific details on those albums. I'm not really feeling this one which is basically exactly as advertised -- too-honest midnight confessional stuff. I get the idea, I just think maybe I can't relate to whatever she's going on about. Of course this wouldn't matter if the music were more attention-grabbing. But -- and this isn't intended as a backhanded compliment -- I think her genre of music is often more driven by the lyrics than the music itself.

Although now that I've brought that up, "Snow On The Beach" just sounds like a more boring version of "Gold Rush" lacking that cool key change in the chorus.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

First music video is out

Anti Hero

https://youtu.be/b1kbLwvqugk

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm not really feeling this one which is basically exactly as advertised -- too-honest midnight confessional stuff. I get the idea, I just think maybe I can't relate to whatever she's going on about. Of course this wouldn't matter if the music were more attention-grabbing. But -- and this isn't intended as a backhanded compliment -- I think her genre of music is often more driven by the lyrics than the music itself.

i would largely agree with this (although i am very much loving this album - still not sure where it will fall in the rank for me yet) as a long time taylor fan. her recent albums show a part of herself, her storytelling, that just isn’t going to be something everyone who listen to her relates to - and that’s okay. i’m glad she feels she can open up to her fans; many can relate very closely to the lyrics, even bringing forward a pretty emotional response myself.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

First music video is out

Anti Hero

https://youtu.be/b1kbLwvqugk

i’m unsure about this, but i’m not really into music videos lol

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Jon Irenicus posted:

Carli album has been real good so far but there's a synth chord progression on "So Nice" that instantly reminded me of Random Access Memories that almost distracted me out of the song lol

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought that. I was wondering why it sounded like Give Yourself to Dance for a bit there.

Also, there's definitely a very similar baseline in Bad Thing Twice and Robyn's Ever Again from the Honey album. But I'm not complaining, because that baseline is sick.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I feel personally attacked by the Anti-Hero video

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Shooting Star is a fuckin Kylie song and nothing will convince me otherwise.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

weekly font posted:

Shooting Star is a fuckin Kylie song and nothing will convince me otherwise.

It’s actually a bad company song.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
How the heck was Anxious just a bonus track? It’s so infectious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I was correct in my initial assessment of the new CRJ, it’s a daytime album. The fates saw fit to give me one last weekend of summer weather to enjoy it and it slaps. I think it’s even more consistent than she has been in the past and while there aren’t quite as many ascendant highs as Emotion it’s a great summer breeze vibe and I cannot wait to see which ones she includes in her live show

Ranking (because I can’t help myself)

Talking to Yourself (this one is a top 10 all time for Carly)
Anxious
So Nice
Shooting Star
Bad Thing Twice
Surrender My Heart
Beach House
The Loneliest Time
No Thinking Over The Weekend
Sideways
Western Wind
Keep Away
Far Away
Joshua Tree
Bends
Go Find Yourself or Whatever (probably the only song I don’t like, I think it’s just a little too long)