Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also, unless they changed: If you save prior to the jump that ends up being the one that dumps you into a freighter rescue, you can use it to shop around for a different style of freighter. You just go back to the save then jump to another system. It should still trigger the rescue freighter mission but the style of freighter is tied to each system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is the first update that I've not jumped in on immediately, I'm waiting to see what shakes out of the experimental modes before committing to something that will change all my inventories.

Hah, ditto. I'm at least going to wait for this latest experimental build to roll out into public until I do anything. This update has seen the most back and forth changes of any I can remember.

Also, in addition to what everyone else has said re: freighters, while each system has two specific freighters styles, a normal and a capital, and these two will not change appearances no matter how many times you re-enter the system, you are in fact able to reroll the class by saving before the warp (or in the local space station if you haven't finished the rescue mission) and reloading over and over.

Before you ask, I believe the decision the game makes on whether to spawn a normal or a capital freighter in a system cannot be changed by rerolling, only by declining the current freighter and waiting another few hours/warps for a new mission to appear. If one system shows up as a capital freighter, for example, they all will.

It's a real bitch to roll an s-class freighter, but considering there's no way yet to upgrade one, rolling for it's your only option.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Should I be refining these Larval Cores into nanites or not? I can see that they sell for a hefty chunk, but nanites seem to be the more useful currency at the moment.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Inadequately posted:

Should I be refining these Larval Cores into nanites or not? I can see that they sell for a hefty chunk, but nanites seem to be the more useful currency at the moment.

Yeah, turn them into nanites; the money you could get from that can be easily overshadowed by a few bio-domes worth of nip nip, gravitino balls, and some other plants.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Dear god they refine into nanites?! Was that always a thing?

Did I just get suckered into a money pit of a settlement? a bunch of knucklehead vykeen are somehow struggling on a paradise planet of all places and I was excited for a new thing

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

slicing up eyeballs posted:

Did I just get suckered into a money pit of a settlement? a bunch of knucklehead vykeen are somehow struggling on a paradise planet of all places and I was excited for a new thing

Settlements are pretty easy to manage, just drop in to kill some robots, work on getting them out of debt, and eventually they make too many trade goods to fit in your inventory.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

slicing up eyeballs posted:

You can just ignore your settlement.

Honestly, I stopped answering my own settlement's mail a long time ago.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Settlements are pretty easy to manage, just drop in to kill some robots, work on getting them out of debt, and eventually they make too many trade goods to fit in your inventory.

Speaking of killing some robots, I think I'm more excited for getting the supercharged slots than I was for the waypoint update itself.

Just look at this craziness :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/xxdarksombraxx/status/1581427769422254080?t=KqOPWdfpeXw1ZsdW9RTHAg&s=19

Also, yeah, at first, when I heard the Switch version didn't have settlements, I thought 'aw that sucks', completely forgetting the fact that I usually ignore mine. They're.... fine. It'd be cool if you could change your office up.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Cool as hell

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hit 200 hours on this save today, been playing since 2017 and only just realized that you learn words in alphabetical order so you can kind of see how far you're into each "symbol" you pick.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of killing some robots, I think I'm more excited for getting the supercharged slots than I was for the waypoint update itself.

Just look at this craziness :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/xxdarksombraxx/status/1581427769422254080?t=KqOPWdfpeXw1ZsdW9RTHAg&s=19

Also, yeah, at first, when I heard the Switch version didn't have settlements, I thought 'aw that sucks', completely forgetting the fact that I usually ignore mine. They're.... fine. It'd be cool if you could change your office up.

I've been doing my settlement on and off since they dropped and I'm still only at like 80/200 population, and I even stopped even bothering trying to send them off on suicide missions

really wish you could change the production though

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I still wish there was some sort of trading card/mini game in NMS. Something kind of like Caravan from Fallout NV or Turf Battle in Splatoon 3, where you could build your deck by finding things in the proper game.

Except none of it is necessary and can be totally ignored.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
"How about a round of Gwent, interloper?"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
"Is it first? Is it last?"

"It's got a Counterspell, bitch, take three damage."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm not saying it'd have to be cards or play like MtG, but it'd be cool to have some sort of mini game in here. Have people over, put it on a table, play while you wait for your frigate expedition to finish.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
This game would benefit heavily from a buildable Hangar or a landing pad that takes the landed ship out of your "active" inventory enabling you to really go wild on collecting ships.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Psyker posted:

This game would benefit heavily from a buildable Hangar or a landing pad that takes the landed ship out of your "active" inventory enabling you to really go wild on collecting ships.

Well, it's not much, but you can change ships in the Anomaly. :shrug:

Edit: neat!.
https://twitter.com/LordFrobozz/status/1582166304852967424?t=b7j06_sBo5zLZ7IMQn92tw&s=19

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 18, 2022

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

I'm not saying it'd have to be cards or play like MtG, but it'd be cool to have some sort of mini game in here. Have people over, put it on a table, play while you wait for your frigate expedition to finish.

Yeah, there’s literally a games room with dudes hanging out at a table in the back of every single space station. It would be a great fit.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ephori posted:

Yeah, there’s literally a games room with dudes hanging out at a table in the back of every single space station. It would be a great fit.

That, and having friends over to my base, all sitting around a table with nothing to do, is what made me think of it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Multiplayer is weird in that there's not actually that much you can do. Just Anomaly missions. You can't collaborate on base building, or have a group freighter, and even normal combat is often super buggy.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

That, and having friends over to my base, all sitting around a table with nothing to do, is what made me think of it.

yeah even just the option to have a ball for people to kick around together would improve things. or one of those large size chess sets. there's really nothing for visitors to your base to do except look at it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shared bases would be really loving cool. The community already does so much with what little we can. Stuff like New Boise for all 16 glyphs shows people just like helping others.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

After all this time of off and on playing I finally got 3000 quicksilver for the shoulder pads and they kinda look like poo poo. A preview function of unowned items would have been nice. Oh well.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Roman posted:

After all this time of off and on playing I finally got 3000 quicksilver for the shoulder pads and they kinda look like poo poo. A preview function of unowned items would have been nice. Oh well.

doesnt weekend mission give like 1200 quicksilver?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

ughhhh posted:

I don't play that often. I just wanted the pads because I thought they would look cool

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Salvaged frigate modules are best found from either Nexus missions (that cube in the middle of the anomaly) or from 'industrial' frigate expeditions. The latter are of course passive quests that your frigates do for you.

Also, when sending out frigates on an expedition make sure your star rating is at least one star greater than the missions itself (so if you want to do a 2 star mission, make sure the fleet you're sending adds up to at least 3 stars).

Those are the only somewhat reliable way to get salvaged frigate modules. Might be able to get some from derelict freighters.

the other way to get sfms is to go to a pirate controlled system and blap freighter cargo pods. you can spawn new npc freighters by pulsing for a second, and the other drops are fairly valuable.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
How do Planetary Charts work? Do they actively spawn a new site of that type nearby, or just direct you to the nearest one? Should I be spreading their use out, or is spamming them on a nice easy Paradise Planet fine? Can they point you to a site you've already visited before? Do you get better rewards for using them on more dangerous/hazardous planets?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ughhhh posted:

1800 now.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Inadequately posted:

How do Planetary Charts work? Do they actively spawn a new site of that type nearby, or just direct you to the nearest one? Should I be spreading their use out, or is spamming them on a nice easy Paradise Planet fine? Can they point you to a site you've already visited before? Do you get better rewards for using them on more dangerous/hazardous planets?

They direct you to "one", nearest is debatable.

Spamming them is fine as long as you're okay with getting the same species type of whatever (or, in the case of crashed ships, types of that system's ships).

Generally not but it's not impossible sometimes

Nope, the rewards for hostile/hazard planets are in the drops, graviton balls and storm crystals, all the unrelated PoIs are going to reward about the same value regardless

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks. I pressed the 'advance plot' button on a horribly toxic planet where massive acid rain storms show up every couple of minutes, so I'm taking a break from the main quest to shore up my suit's defenses for a bit before I go scrounging for that next plot coupon.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I'm considering getting this game but have no idea what I'd be getting into?

I just know it's been improved a lot and regularly since release and it's a space sandbox of sorts?

Is this a good game to aimlessly go around in space making little bases and having a ship? Could I leave a planet and then return to my base there or whatever?

I don't really care about goals or quests or anything like that I just kind of like doing whatever

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Worf posted:

I'm considering getting this game but have no idea what I'd be getting into?

I just know it's been improved a lot and regularly since release and it's a space sandbox of sorts?

Is this a good game to aimlessly go around in space making little bases and having a ship? Could I leave a planet and then return to my base there or whatever?

I don't really care about goals or quests or anything like that I just kind of like doing whatever

I think NMS is exactly what you’re looking for because the answer to all your questions is ‘yes’.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Worf posted:

Welcome to No Man's Sky

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Helith posted:

I think NMS is exactly what you’re looking for because the answer to all your questions is ‘yes’.

Yeah, I was reading the post and kinda got excited for the OP, because NMS is exactly what they're looking for, wow. A better set of expectations probably doesn't exist.

Worf, please come back to this thread and post your impressions as you play. I think we all genuinely want to vicariously re-experience the game for the first time.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I play elite dangerous so depth, features, and expectations have pretty much reached heat death for me

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

NMS is the ultimate "wander around and do some things" sort of game. In theory there are a lot of systems to interact with but none of them are particularly deep or complex. There's a couple of storylines but they're mainly worth following to more quickly unlock some of the tech. People can and do go all out in optimising things like mining output but personally I've never seen the point.

Far better to just tool around the universe taking pictures.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NMS is the ultimate "wander around and do some things" sort of game. In theory there are a lot of systems to interact with but none of them are particularly deep or complex. There's a couple of storylines but they're mainly worth following to more quickly unlock some of the tech. People can and do go all out in optimising things like mining output but personally I've never seen the point.

Far better to just tool around the universe taking pictures.

Exactly; I downloaded a bunch of my screenshots from steam and emailed them to my work email. Then I set up Windows so that every 30 minutes, the backgrounds of all 3 monitors switches to a different picture. I love it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Are the expedition rewards something you can only claim a couple of times or only have active in a number of saves? I did the Normandy frigate a while back but it's not available to claim on my new current save.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Worf posted:

I play elite dangerous so depth, features, and expectations have pretty much reached heat death for me

elite dangerous has a much better flight model but nms has base building and generally more to see and do

i've sunk way too many hours into both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I still wish there was some sort of trading card/mini game in NMS. Something kind of like Caravan from Fallout NV or Turf Battle in Splatoon 3, where you could build your deck by finding things in the proper game.

Except none of it is necessary and can be totally ignored.

Holy poo poo... if you could do this in your cockpit that would be amazing. Would be something to do when you have to wait for 3 minutes cruising to a planet on the edge of the solar system