Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

jokes posted:

They just need one infinite content that scales. Chaos dungeons are kinda fun, but they could just steal the idea of rifts entirely and apply modifiers to it.

That's the big failing of chaos dungeons imo. They're clearly designed as a chore you're supposed to do every day as a requirement for raiding and not designed as an enjoyable piece of content on its own. The first chaos dungeon you do at ilevel 300 is exactly the same as the 300th chaos dungeon you at ilevel 1475. There's absolutely no variety when instead they could flesh it out as a potential alternative playstyle direction for characters that don't want to raid. But the game is entirely designed to funnel you into only raiding so I doubt they ever do anything with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's how you know it's an MMO: the entire thing is designed to funnel you into exactly one piece of content, and it's the least fun content

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
Raids and chaos dungeons are both fun. If you don't like the raids, then Lost Ark isn't going to work out. You can also keep doing chaos dungeons for more mats, though at significantly less efficient rates.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
There's no reason raids have to be the only endgame content though. There's nothing stopping them from adding say, D3 style rifts or more dungeons

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I love raids, I just think the raids available so far are very underwhelming, and if you're doing anything with pugs a not insignificant portion of the player base are miserable assholes on top of that.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
IMO the raids are the reason to play Lost Ark and if you don't enjoy them you're likely going to get bored of the game pretty quick.

I disagree that the raids available are underwhelming though. Yes they get easy over time but each one on release was a ton of fun. Clown was a great new addition and a significant step up in challenge, and I cannot wait until Brelshaza.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

There's no reason raids have to be the only endgame content though. There's nothing stopping them from adding say, D3 style rifts or more dungeons

There will be more Abyss Dungeons going forward, Korea already has another one, but we're never gonna get something like D3 rifts because the game just isn't build for that type of content to be something challenging or balanceable. The combat in this game works so well because it is a single monster with telegraphed attacks where your ability to survive is placed on your ability to react and dodge instead of tanking and healing.

Having something where you kill mass amounts of monsters would require an entire rework of every single class and engraving to have even a hope of balance there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cinara posted:

IMO the raids are the reason to play Lost Ark and if you don't enjoy them you're likely going to get bored of the game pretty quick.

You've posted this a lot and not a single player in the game agrees with it!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I was having the most fun with the game when I could grind chaos dungeons for new gear and upgrades. Then it changed over to raids and all of a sudden I lost a significant amount of interest in Lost Ark. :(

You seem to agree with it?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Yeah they've shown they plan to contimue making raids the only content in the game but we can still say hey it'd be cool if this game had other fun options since the gameplay is cool

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Oh I agree it would be good if they supported more than a single playstyle, there's certainly a lot to like about the game beyond the raids. But we effectively have a roadmap for the game over a year out from where we are now and raids are essentially the only thing they focus development time on. There will be tiny morsels of side/story content but most major patches are some form of raid or other challenging group content.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I actually like the guardian raids a lot more than the demon boss raids so far tbh

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Add me into the group that loves the core gameplay of LA but hates everything else but especially mandatory raids to progress

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

calling the gameplay good referring to the rotation is weird. like saying you like counter strike for the core gameplay of the movement. the core gameplay is fighting big boss monsters with flashy arpg skills imo.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Cinara posted:

Having something where you kill mass amounts of monsters would require an entire rework of every single class and engraving to have even a hope of balance there.

not trying to be a dick but that’s exactly what chaos dungeons are?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hefty posted:

99% of the game is killing large numbers of enemies at once. I really don't understand how they managed to miss this.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Chaos dungeons with some random modifiers and a few extra varieties of objective types than the 3 you already do that given tokens you can trade in for new gear would be a pretty easy slam dunk to keep the more casual crowd invested

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
You can already farm chaos dungeons indefinitely for honing mats, and you can buy busses which require no interaction other than figuring out how to buy the item required.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Hefty posted:

I think you missed the line in the previous paragraph where I talked about having it be challenging or balanced. Chaos dungeons are trivial farm content where they don't care if there's a drastic power difference between classes because they are so easy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Chaos dungeons are exactly the kind of content there ought to be hard modes/variations of as well. Tons of tripods and abilities are built around killing hordes of monsters but the vast majority of it is a waste of space because you can literally just face roll whatever abilities in a chaos dungeon and easily murder everything. I stopped building chaos dungeon layouts because it made basically no difference in my ability to sleepwalk through them. Chaos dungeons are more like an entree fee/time gate to perform better in actual boss fights rather than their own interesting part of the game. That kinda sucks

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
On most classes the difference between doing chaos dungeons with and without the betrayal relic set is night and day. I also double my general pve/mobbing set with my pvp set, so I get more value out of really cheap gear.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
All you need for most classes is to swap your stone and book to get Preemptive Strike 3, and then yea if you have the option the Betrayal set.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Cinara posted:

I think you missed the line in the previous paragraph where I talked about having it be challenging or balanced. Chaos dungeons are trivial farm content where they don't care if there's a drastic power difference between classes because they are so easy.

you’re right, i sort of glossed over that, but i also don’t really see it being all that different and i’m not terribly concerned about the balance of what is essentially solo content.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Hefty posted:

you’re right, i sort of glossed over that, but i also don’t really see it being all that different and i’m not terribly concerned about the balance of what is essentially solo content.

I feel like the entire point they're making, that you seem to be skirting around, is that the chaos dungeons are not an even remotely significant part of the game design and as such have been delegated to what is essentially mindless solo content rather than something interesting and engaging.

They really aren't even fun to farm. They get insanely boring after half an hour or so.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

S.J. posted:

I feel like the entire point they're making, that you seem to be skirting around, is that the chaos dungeons are not an even remotely significant part of the game design and as such have been delegated to what is essentially mindless solo content rather than something interesting and engaging.

They really aren't even fun to farm. They get insanely boring after half an hour or so.

sure, and i agree. i also don’t think that making them interesting and engaging is some impossible design task. it seems like they have no plans to do that though so i’ll shut up about it.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I mean you know exactly what you are getting with this game, seeing as Korea decides what the Devs do.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I mean you know exactly what you are getting with this game, seeing as Korea decides what the Devs do.

Double edge sword, because they generally have good opinions, but they go hardcore over there.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
https://www.playlostark.com/en-us/news/articles/mystic-event-raid#ags-MediaPopup

October patch confirmed for the 26th.

quote:

The October ‘Mystics and Mayhem’ Update arrives next week, on October 26! This update comes packed with three distinct raids, for the heroes in Arkesia to hone their teamwork, skills, and ability to overcome unique mechanics; the Vykas Inferno Difficulty Legion, Achates Trial Guardian Raid, along with a new event, the Mystic Abyss Raid. This special event is scheduled to run for 3 weeks, starting on October 26 and running for three weeks, until November 16.

An end date of the 16th for the event seems like they are planning that date for the Nov patch, now if they will actually hit that date is a different story.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.
NAEast static looking for a dps for Friday night raiding, inquire on the Discord :frogdunce:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Jinnigan posted:

i cannot believe how long and tedious this post rohendel sequence is, and i especially cant believe how awful this Awakening Skill 2 questline is
It's only available once per roster. So at least you won't do it again on alts.

To skip it, you can avoid doing it until you get to a free powerpass from later in the game. It will auto complete it. You'll never get to do the quest if you complete it that way. Whether that's a positive or negative is up to the player.

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

I really, REALLY want to play this game, however, after installing it, it gives me this server authentication error with an error code being 10100 or something like that. I hit OK and it shuts the game down. does anyone know a way to fix this or has had this issue before? i've already googled endlessly and done everything possible i could think of and it's really aggravating.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Do you use a VPN? I forget if the game still errors out when you try to login while you're running one

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

I dont, and i've tried every workaround that mentions it. I found one solution that messes with the registry and i'd rather not gently caress around with things I dont really know, especially for one game. I've never had another mmo do this.

Buddykins fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 26, 2022

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

unless a VPN is something like an antivirus like Avast and all that, then yes, i've already tried disabling it and no dice. thank you for responding, sorry - i'm really not this dumb with computers I swear :3:

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I had that problem a bit and closing and re-opening Steam fixed it for me. Something to do with Steam log-in. There might have been some hiccups today due to the halloween sale slamming Steam's servers although that wouldn't explain your problems from earlier.

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

I managed to get past it doing a bunch of ipconfig things in the command line however now it just says "cannot connect to the server" lmao but it doesnt kick me out anymore! I can actually click around and change settings on the server screen

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

...they're down for maintenance right now :kiddo:
seems to be good though! Thank you for the responses :cheersbird: cant wait to try this hopefully

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

New event raid fight was pretty fun, I did it with just a matchmaking party. I think the game needs more stuff like these fights where the difficulty is lower than legion raids but you still get a semi-challenging fight.

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

this game is so loving good

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

what is the best thing to do with gear you're replacing? It seems like money is easy to come by. just dismantle it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Assuming you're still going through the story, yes. Silver is a resource that will become relevant as you get deeper into the endgame but for now just dismantle everything as you replace it.

Gearing while you level is quite a bit different than gearing post level 50.