Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

I can absolutely believe Grimes is a creation of Elon’s brain

The closest he ever got to his goal of genetically engineering a catgirl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Man this Patagonia poo poo is rotten and should be loving illegal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cu6EbELZ6I

They made a permanent superPAC for their entire family and avoided 1.2 BILLIONS in taxes.

buncha noobs, IKEA launders double that every year

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 18, 2022

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Theres a real stink kicking off in the news in the UK - seems around 30 ex-RAF pilots have gone to work in China advising them on Western airforce tactics.

The Government is planning to change the law to criminalise this and are likely already pressurising the pilots to return.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/oct/18/raf-pilots-chinese-military-law-change-james-heappey

Its unlikely its just Brits or just airforce related. I'd expect they have Westerners from all the countries and services advising them.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Well apparently they’re offering them nearly a quarter of a million a year which is likely to be way more then an ex fighter jockey would make taking sunseekers to Ibiza on a Jet2 737 I would think.

Embarrassing though.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Its a bit like in the 80s when the nuclear weapons designers in the UK were on the same civil service pay grade as a clerk and Saddam was rumoured to be offerring them hundreds of thousands.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This is a much bigger deal than it seems.

We have exchange pilots with the RAF. They fly our most advanced jets and are trained on all capabilities and tactics classified and otherwise. We also send exchange pilots to the RAF, but our guys aren’t training the goddamned IRA on OCA/DCA.

It takes one RAF fighter pilot with exchange experience to take the $250k and we’re gonna have to spend more money than god.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

The UK is a joke (ignoring all the centuries of colonialism). I'll never forgive Magnus Maximus for leaving Britannia to the Anglo-Saxons (and later French/Normans!!!!).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm sure this will not have unfortunate interactions with the quality of life issues driving pilots out of all branches of the US military in droves

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

Yes did you watch what they did with their "divestment"?

Yeah, he donated the proceeds to charity and his family maintains control of the board through the charity they founded.
With the track record of their prior donations and the incorporating documents for these foundations I don't really see what the problem is.

Edit: that YouTube Weiner is awful to watch and is disingenuous to boot. What exactly is the problem?

Like his family was going to wield influence as a result of their fortune and connection to a massive corporation anyway. Same as the Bill and Malinda gates organization and dozens of other prolific charities. They will now be judged at least in part by their charitable endeavors, rather than people simply stating that they are private citizens. Prior to this endowment the family could have linked up with the Koch brothers or Musk to lend the credibility of the firm towards deregulation. Now not so much .

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 18, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys, I would like to get someone in the military or familiar with it to give me some insight, how is stuff like this allowed in the US military to happen without it being considered treason or a giant breach of military secrecy or something? Like what’s preventing the people doing this from spilling the beans on the inner workings of the pentagon:-

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1582358137566547968?s=46&t=Ybb8hMcIQr-n0cI8zzHmGQ

Are people who are freshly retired allowed to just run off and work for foreign countries no matter how far up the command chain they are?! Doesn’t this seem especially dangerous given the current america-Saudi oil prices spat?!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
They have to seek approval from DoD, so the scandal here is not the one you think.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The Saudis are a very special friend. Why, we'd let them cornhole lady liberty as long as it made them happy

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You can even serve in a foreign military as a uniformed member. So long as the country you wish to serve isn't an enemy of the US (there are some detailed caveats, but not worth digging in to), you can serve a foreign flag, not just be a merc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We train and work with the Saudi's a lot. Not really suprising.

Though we most certainly shouldn't be.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

GD_American posted:

They have to seek approval from DoD, so the scandal here is not the one you think.

its like the police investigating themselves and finding they did nothing wrong

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Whatever Blackwater became has been training the Chinese for awhile now. I remember hearing about that years ago. Maybe not as big of a deal as the pilot training but having ex-SF dudes spill the beans on their strategy and tactics could be significant.

Now, if some country wants to pay me six figgies to train their lower enlisted on how to sham out of details hit me up. I'll just sham out of that class too, see ya!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1582473105162633216?t=VzOp7MeV4xYG7ifpyUgK4A&s=19

Durham, patron saint of maga special counsels, is now 0/2 in trials (one pleaded guilty for probation) with nothing but hyper-political press statements to show for it.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 18, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Protecting classified information is a lifelong obligation and post-government employment is subject to review that is real, if mostly pretty cursory, so it’s not a scandal. The US generally isn’t in the business of forbidding its citizens from gaining employment in other countries, and the big exceptions are when it comes to working business that deal in export-controlled data like what just happened with Chinese chip manufacturers.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 18, 2022

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

This is a much bigger deal than it seems.

We have exchange pilots with the RAF. They fly our most advanced jets and are trained on all capabilities and tactics classified and otherwise. We also send exchange pilots to the RAF, but our guys aren’t training the goddamned IRA on OCA/DCA.

It takes one RAF fighter pilot with exchange experience to take the $250k and we’re gonna have to spend more money than god.

if they’re spilling classified, it’s just regular espionage at that point and we have ample tools to deal with them. The UK won’t protect its citizens from Uncle Sugar if it comes to an extradition request

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

We train and work with the Saudi's a lot. Not really suprising.

Though we most certainly shouldn't be.

This is basically the only way to counterbalance Iran. It'd be nice if we didn't have to do that...

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

This is basically the only way to counterbalance Iran. It'd be nice if we didn't have to do that...

With the Iranians supporting terror bombing in Ukraine it seems like we could just take out their infrastructure from the air directly at this point. Also based on events in Ukraine I assume the US can basically operate with hideous impunity against anyone without 4+-digit nuke counts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Well there's a bit of a revolution on in Iran so maybe we can fix that....better than we fixed it the first time :smith:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Grip it and rip it posted:

Yeah, he donated the proceeds to charity and his family maintains control of the board through the charity they founded.
With the track record of their prior donations and the incorporating documents for these foundations I don't really see what the problem is.

Edit: that YouTube Weiner is awful to watch and is disingenuous to boot. What exactly is the problem?

Like his family was going to wield influence as a result of their fortune and connection to a massive corporation anyway. Same as the Bill and Malinda gates organization and dozens of other prolific charities. They will now be judged at least in part by their charitable endeavors, rather than people simply stating that they are private citizens. Prior to this endowment the family could have linked up with the Koch brothers or Musk to lend the credibility of the firm towards deregulation. Now not so much .

Well first off the $1.2B tax evasion isn't a good look especially if it's being spent instead on lobbying on whatever the billionaire and his family decides is important. Just because he wants a wilderness to exist so he can sell you expensive gear so you can go climb a rock doesn't mean that he's on your side.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Well there's a bit of a revolution on in Iran so maybe we can fix that....better than we fixed it the first time :smith:

is this a reference to 53 or 79 or something else

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Godholio posted:

Which is our own doing. Iran is not and has never been a proper threat to the US. Any actions of the regime against US interests is a fair reaction to American actions and aggressions. Iran made numerous attempts through the years to improve relations, only to be rebuffed by the US at every turn.

I know this is all probably common knowledge and common viewpoint, I'm just irritated that Iran is constantly the enemy, meanwhile we send aid and ally with our real enemies.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bulletsponge13 posted:

Which is our own doing. Iran is not and has never been a proper threat to the US. Any actions of the regime against US interests is a fair reaction to American actions and aggressions. Iran made numerous attempts through the years to improve relations, only to be rebuffed by the US at every turn.

I know this is all probably common knowledge and common viewpoint, I'm just irritated that Iran is constantly the enemy, meanwhile we send aid and ally with our real enemies.

iran did not do 9/11

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

iran did not do 9/11

And tried to help us avenge the attack.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Good old Iranian EFP’s in Iraq sure sold me on the peace loving and misunderstood government of Iran.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

We had a genuine moment where we could have had rapprochement of sorts with Iran back in 2001, and then Bush hosed it all up with the Axis of Evil speech. Smart policy makers would treat Iran as it is- an ascendant regional power with thousands of years of a shared history, culture and geopolitical influence. Treating it as a terroristic rogue state has a funny way of turning it into one.

I would also trust the Iranians more than I would all of the Gulfy kleptocrats who the British decided should be rulers just because they happened to be standing closest to an oil patch. gently caress the Saudi royal family especially hard.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Good old Iranian EFP’s in Iraq sure sold me on the peace loving and misunderstood government of Iran.

Tbf, if your biggest threat to your regime’s survival is bogged down in a quagmire of its own choosing in a state that borders your own, it’s a valid strategy to aid and work with local groups to make said quagmire even worse to deter any thinking that you’d be easy to roll over as well.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 19, 2022

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Tbf, if your biggest threat to your regime’s survival is bogged down in a quagmire of its own choosing in a state that borders your own, it’s a valid strategy to aid and work with local groups to make said quagmire even worse to deter any thinking that you’d be easy to roll over as well.

Valid strategy or not, it decidedly makes the Iranians not our friends, and not any kind of honest brokers wrt peace. Anywhere.

We aren’t either, but we spend the big bucks to swing the big dick as we see fit.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I was targeted by the same ones. It wasn't personal, it was professional; and it was tit for tat. I don't blame them. We have declared them an enemy, then surrounded them with conflicts we started in countries we then occupied. Iran hasn't done a single the US hasn't. They continue to be our enemy because we support the idea of them being the bad guy for doing nothing but protecting their own power and stature. The history when viewed objectively makes the US the rear end in a top hat in the relationship. We spent a long time dicking them up and down before they hit back.

And why wouldn't they try to expand influence and support in the region? Every other country does.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Their present unprovoked terror bombing campaign right up to the NATO borders in western Ukraine is a little more than protecting their regional interests.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

slurm posted:

Their present unprovoked terror bombing campaign right up to the NATO borders in western Ukraine is a little more than protecting their regional interests.

Iran did what now?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

mlmp08 posted:

Iran did what now?

I mean it's Russia of course but that campaign wouldn't be possible without Iranian suicide drones which they continue to happily sell in huge numbers. Providing a whole advanced weapons system like that (which must need training etc) is definitely more involvement than the countries which are just still buying Russian gas or even selling them ancient munitions from the rusty stockpiles. It's more akin to the US involvement.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
If we accepted Iran's help and began a rapprochement after 9/11 like we were starting to do, and if there was a real effort on our part to repair relations, and no goddamn Axis of Evil speech, Iran would've helped us in Afghanistan.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

slurm posted:

I mean it's Russia of course but that campaign wouldn't be possible without Iranian suicide drones which they continue to happily sell in huge numbers. Providing a whole advanced weapons system like that (which must need training etc) is definitely more involvement than the countries which are just still buying Russian gas or even selling them ancient munitions from the rusty stockpiles. It's more akin to the US involvement.

Iran likely has no interest other than the financial gain. The US on the other hand is definitely using the conflict to defang Russia.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

slurm posted:

It's more akin to the US involvement.

I don’t think it’s comparable. It’s an arms deal. The US, in contrast, is giving away billions and directly sharing intel and engaging diplomatically and helping to organize out of country repair depots and more.

It’s not really the same at all.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If we're using arms deals as the metric for measuring how evil a country it wouldn't pass the sniff test. Ignoring the obvious elephant in the room (the US) even within this conflict, Turkey would be Good Guys cause they sell drones to Ukraine.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

slurm posted:

This is being disingenuous. Using this logic, we are bombing the Houthi and committing genocide around the world. Selling arms to a belligerent =/= being an active participant.

Again, Iran hasn't done poo poo that we haven't. They are playing the exact same game we are, but because they aren't America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bulletsponge13 posted:

This is being disingenuous. Using this logic, we are bombing the Houthi and committing genocide around the world. Selling arms to a belligerent =/= being an active participant.

Again, Iran hasn't done poo poo that we haven't. They are playing the exact same game we are, but because they aren't America.