Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Quicksilver note for new players. It's worth doing the Anomaly weekend missions to buy the bobbleheads and ship trails. You get bonuses to a bunch of things.

Install the ones you want displayed first, then the other ones. Then group them up for bigger bonuses. Buy them once and install them on all your ships!

Apollo Figurine - ship gun damage
Artemis Figurine - boost
Atlas Figurine - jump distance
Nada Figurine - launcher takeoff cost
-null- Figurine - ship shield
Polo Figurine - boost maneuverability

I think all the trails boost the boost by 1% each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Uh, wow, I had no idea any of that stuff actually changed anything. Neat!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sadly in my experience with pubbies multiplayer has more opportunities for griefing than actual gameplay

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Roman posted:

After all this time of off and on playing I finally got 3000 quicksilver for the shoulder pads and they kinda look like poo poo. A preview function of unowned items would have been nice. Oh well.

Is this a bad time to tell you that you could’ve watched Twitch for an hour over the weekend and got them for free?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Psyker posted:

Is this a bad time to tell you that you could’ve watched Twitch for an hour over the weekend and got them for free?

I did the drops for Endurance and hated sitting through all that, despite actually liking SurvivalBob's stuff. I just never used any of the dropped gear.

So I sat this one out, and they release a few really cool posters this time. :argh:

Guess I'll use the save editor when it's up and running for 4.0 to give them to me.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I think the only thing more disappointing than spending time on a game to end up looking ugly would be to spend time watching somebody else play the game to have the same result lol

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
mute the tab and run the stream in the background

just walk away from the screen lmao like just close your eyes

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

its this that i wouldnt bother with to begin with

E: i am downloading this video game to my personal computer

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 20, 2022

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

elite dangerous has a much better flight model but nms has base building and generally more to see and do

i've sunk way too many hours into both

Yeah I play Elite and NMS and the only thing Elite really has on NMS is that flight model. If they ever made the flying in NMS half as good as Elite I'd probably never go back to Elite.

I also wish they used proper NPCs for ground combat because I'm one of the weirdos that really liked space legs in Elite. Shooting robots/animals gets old and it's kinda weird how pirates attack you all the time in space but everyone is your friend on the ground. It'd also make it feel more alive to have more NPC camps around that may or may not be hostile but anyways...

Yeah you'll probably love NMS give it a shot!

Edit: Also this update is the perfect time to get started. You can tweak difficulty to your liking and they made it so you can store/transfer upgrades between ships/multitools which was one of my BIG pet peeves with the game previously. As soon as I would choose to upgrade something I'd inevitably find a better one and it was a huge drag and felt like a waste since you'd have to essentially start over from scratch. Not anymore!

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 20, 2022

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Yeah I read about the update and it was the fact that they made a bunch of things seem like better quality of life etc that made me consider buying

Flying in elite is fun but honestly it's also overrated because it's really not much else to do lol. I've had the game since it came out and I think I basically done the same thing every time I played

I installed it and then went away from the computer for a few hours lol. Looking forward to checking it out later

Worf fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 20, 2022

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the one thing i like about elite, in addition to the flight model, is that the galaxy is meant to be the milky way instead of being procedurally generated. so you can actually visit specific nebulae and star systems which is pretty cool. but yeah once youve done that, theres nothing to do except look around really.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The flying in Elite (in VR) is second to none. With a HOTAS it’s so loving cool to hunt primates and do core mining while looking through a big rear end cockpit.

NMS is a very chill game and I love it for that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I come back to elite from time to time, and i do enjoy space trucking and looking at planets and stuff, but the grind always kills me. After grinding imperial rank to buy a cutter i was so burnt out i didn't touch the game for two years. Also as a console peasant i can't participate in the new stuff.

nms on the other hand i can always jump back into, and the frequent updates encourage this

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sometimes I'll come out of pulse and just drift toward a destination rather than apply throttle. My graphics settings are low and planet generation could be more interesting, but it's a chill way to fly sometimes.

IMO, better generated POIs would make up for the sameness of planet generation. Even if they just opened up into proc genned caves, buildings, or complexes they way space hulks do, it would be nice to have actual ground features to explore other than caves that mostly go nowhere.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

doctorfrog posted:

IMO, better generated POIs would make up for the sameness of planet generation. Even if they just opened up into proc genned caves, buildings, or complexes they way space hulks do, it would be nice to have actual ground features to explore other than caves that mostly go nowhere.

That and having multiple biomes on the same planet, even if it's just a basic "lush around the equator, tundra to the north/south, ice at the poles". That would make it a lot more interesting to go around a planet and check out different areas or transition zones. As it is wherever you land you know pretty much what every other spot on the planet will be (unless it has lots of coastline or something).

Also I'm glad they nerfed activated indium mining. I decided to try a new permadeath run and I love having to go out and actually do stuff to earn money again instead of bumrushing a mining camp and forgetting about the economy. I'm pirating, scanning planets, flipping ships, just doing whatever pops up and feeling rewarded for it again. I never feel broke but cash isn't becoming meaningless either. Good stuff.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

That's how I like to play elite and I would guess basically most sandbox games honestly, I don't really like the idea of playing a role so much as being a dopamine opportunist lol

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hakarne posted:

That and having multiple biomes on the same planet, even if it's just a basic "lush around the equator, tundra to the north/south, ice at the poles". That would make it a lot more interesting to go around a planet and check out different areas or transition zones. As it is wherever you land you know pretty much what every other spot on the planet will be (unless it has lots of coastline or something).
Of course, but I'm keeping my expectations low. I don't see them overhauling planets anytime soon, if ever, but adding proc gen buildings is at least doable. (Can you imagine the fan screeching if they changed planet generation?) In my very compromised vision, they'd still be the same boring exteriors, with separately loaded interiors like the space hulks.

I still remember seeing my first freighter wreck about two hours into the game, and going, "wow." Then I saw my second freighter wreck, and this reined in my expectations, hard. If you could at least go "inside" these random features and do something interesting, I could see that being an actual, possible addition that wouldn't break anything else.

As a comparison, 7 Days to Die has many very samey buildings, but there are dozens and dozens of them. Of course, they have randomly generated loot and enemies, but also portions of the buildings themselves have random generation, including various areas of decay, resulting in naturally-generating traps. It's a decent and surprisingly rare combination of hand-made buildings that are affected by proc gen.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
To be honest, I like the flying in NMS since it's simple enough I can win fights regularly. In Elite, even NPCs manage to kill me 1 times out of 3. Still, yeah, the flight model in Elite is really good and I like to sometimes just pretend I'm a IRL-space explorer, exploring the real galaxy. Landing on empty, barren planets and then finding alien bacteria to stuff into my exploration thingy weirdly makes the entire experience feel even more real.

The technicolor-nonsense of NMS-planets is more like 70s sci-fi, it's 100% fun, but fun of a fully different kind then Elite.

That said, the incredibly slow pace of development pushed me away from Elite over time. There are still entire regions of the galaxy blocked off because :frontear: hasn't managed to introduce whatever is living there yet and the Thargoids have been in the game for ages, but all interactions with them boil down to killing, which is kind of a massive turn-off for me.

If they ever introduce aliens I can actually talk to and land on their stations, I'll probably come running back. But until then I prefer my weird esoteric bullshit NMS-version of sci-fi. Also, while typing this post I came up with like 3 more base designs I want to try.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The way I think about it, is that NMS actually realizes that it's a video game.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Something I only recently spotted, in space dogfights you can just hold down S (backwards) and your ship will auto-track your target. You're not dodging while this is happening, but if you've got enough sodium/shield batteries to recharge mid-fight it doesn't really matter.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
On PS4, the game just automatically selects and tracks a target if hostile ships get close enough. Very convenient, as I would be dead thrice over if I tried gauging what ship to shoot first on my own.

The game also automatically selects a new hostile if your currently tracked target goes down. On the other hand, because of this auto-tracking I now have completely forgotten how to manually lock onto targets! :shepface:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Exactly. Plus, it really excels at being a 70s SciFi novel cover art generator.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

doctorfrog posted:

Pretty much. NMS, Elite and X4 all have distinctly different "space sim" niches that they fill, and while some of the back of the box features technically overlap it's all about taking the thing you're in the mood for and playing the game that does that one thing well, instead of forcing yourself to stick to the other ones that do that one thing poorly.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

doctorfrog posted:

Can you imagine the fan screeching if they changed planet generation?

They've done it before.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I really just need to get an auto twitch grabber. I enjoy watching people play occasionally, but I never remember to do it more than a couple days.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

im gonna start the game soon, are there any recommendations for settings etc?

i dont want permadetthh or unlimited everything but something decently challenging would be cool

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Worf posted:

im gonna start the game soon, are there any recommendations for settings etc?

i dont want permadetthh or unlimited everything but something decently challenging would be cool

There's a steep hill of initial challenge that tapers off as you start snowballing tech and accumulating resources regardless of what mode you do but "Normal" is probably still the recommended one to start with

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I got all 3 S-class photon cannon upgrades in supercharged slots, and still connected. each gives +29% heat dispersal and fire rate, and +8% damaage. it takes over a minute to overheat, and rips through pirates almost instantly.

I was also able to get my freighter up to 5303 hyperdrive range and 4.0 warp efficiency whcih is fairly close distance wise to when you could have 3 more S-class upgrades in general inventory.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Steam Deck grabbed an update earlier and now the game crashes every time it saves. lol.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Are the supercharged slots a better bonus than the adjacency part of it? Like if I wanted to REALLY charge up my scatter blaster so it's essentially 'click to delete an enemy', would it make the most sense to take 4 S-class upgrades and get them each supercharged, even if they're not connected? I'd assume so.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
At this point it's certainly seeming like it, for the few things in-game that have proper visible stats. There does seem to be a lot of per-item variance in whether it's preferable to supercharge the upgrade modules or supercharge the base item, though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

At this point it's certainly seeming like it, for the few things in-game that have proper visible stats. There does seem to be a lot of per-item variance in whether it's preferable to supercharge the upgrade modules or supercharge the base item, though.

Hold up.... Does super charging the base item work? I tried that with my jet charger (the one that charges midair) and it didn't seem to do anything.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
100% yes, but the efficacy varies. For weapons it seems to be a hands-down 100% "prioritize that above anything else" boost, hyperdrives seem to only get a miniscule benefit, scanners seem to get a pretty hefty range boost but it's hard to tell if there are any other bonuses, etc.

I'm trying to find something to expose final calculated stats on all the things that aren't shown by default but it seems like it may require a memory reader to pull those final calculated stats out on the fly, with the alternative being "a lot of trial and error"

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Hey folks, anyone have an issue where all network stuff just vanishes? I boot directly into my save files, no single player/co-op choice screen, and there's no Network settings in the options menu. I do have a green 'online discoveries' indicator, but my Nexus is empty and I can't seem to find anything online with that mix of symptoms. I was co-oping earlier in the week, but as of now no dice

E: steam/PC is probably useful info too

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 23, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PoultryGeist posted:

Hey folks, anyone have an issue where all network stuff just vanishes? I boot directly into my save files, no single player/co-op choice screen, and there's no Network settings in the options menu. I do have a green 'online discoveries' indicator, but my Nexus is empty and I can't seem to find anything online with that mix of symptoms. I was co-oping earlier in the week, but as of now no dice

E: steam/PC is probably useful info too

This has also been happening to at least two people in the fb nms group I'm in. They haven't found a solution yet, unfortunately, but you're not alone. Weird bug, though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I was playing for the first time in a while, landed in an empty Anomaly, and three minutes later a malformed elder metal configuration came rubberbanding into the place, and unfolded into a dozen ships that all landed at the same time.

I wonder how much of this is just plain ol' "online multi is hard" and how much of it is a consequence of using Microsoft Azure, a product from the company that doesn't offer drag and drop of tasks on the taskbar in an advanced OS that has been out for a year.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This has also been happening to at least two people in the fb nms group I'm in. They haven't found a solution yet, unfortunately, but you're not alone. Weird bug, though.

My suspicion is there's some under the hood toggle for "Switch mode" that hides the network settings that somehow got accidentally toggled, although I haven't the foggiest idea of where or how.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Well at least it's not something that I did accidentally, so thanks! I'll just keep checking to see if my exile from Traveler-kind ends at some point

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My suspicion is there's some under the hood toggle for "Switch mode" that hides the network settings that somehow got accidentally toggled, although I haven't the foggiest idea of where or how.

I had the same exact thought. My only question is, why isn't it more widespread? You'd think this issue would be popping up all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Weird, a couple weeks ago I had the opposite problem. I'm playing on PS4 and aren't giving Sony money for online play, so my Nexus has been empty for most of the time, until when the game suddenly got confused a couple weeks ago and loaded me into a Nexus filled with people. Then my ship got shoved at a 45° angle above a landing pad and left there. I was unable to exit or really do anything, since I "wasn't supposed" to be there, I think. After the second time that happened, I luckily had the idea to go through the settings after my re-load and manually disable multiplayer, then the Nexus stopped acting up.

I wonder if this is related, just this time the game gets confused into the opposite direction?

Something like this, for example.