Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MJeff posted:

Man what the gently caress would have happened to Historia if they had pulled that off?

I think the idea is zeke wanted fertilization to be impossible, so historia's child would be one of the last eldians to ever be born. The whole plan is the beast titan and founding titan are passed down separately so if marley ever tries to murder the eldians they can have historia's kid take the beast titan and then the founder can do the rumbling. So historia's kid needs to be around and available as their emergency button until everyone is dying of old age.

What I don't understand is what's stopping historia from eating the beast titan after zeke dies and then have eren's successor tell ymir to make eldians able to have kids again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Also I guess now that Zeke's nullified the vow renouncing war if they ever get their hands on eren again historia can eat him and do whatever the gently caress she wants

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Not to mention the idea that medical science might undo it before a hundred years pass. Hey Zeke, wasn't human technology catching up to and surpassing the power of the Titans kind of a thing you were dealing with already?

One thing I do wonder about is if the Titans weren't ultimately controlled by a slave girl whose brain is permanently trapped 2000 years in the past, Titans might have been able to grow and keep pace with human advancement. And whether or not that would be a good or bad thing. :v:

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Hello! I just watched the first three episodes of this show and I could not believe how deeply fascist and sickening it was. Starship Troopers is the closest obvious comparison and that is a satire based specifically on how disgusting this kind of media is. It is my recommendation that no one watch this mess. It is gooey and poorly animated and I'm pretty sure really racist.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

McNutty posted:

Hello! I just watched the first three episodes of this show and I could not believe how deeply fascist and sickening it was. Starship Troopers is the closest obvious comparison and that is a satire based specifically on how disgusting this kind of media is. It is my recommendation that no one watch this mess. It is gooey and poorly animated and I'm pretty sure really racist.

Is this a joke or is this brain damage, I can't tell

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean it's blatantly trying to get a rise out of someone

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

McNutty posted:

The scene where Hitler directly addresses the audience was a bit much imo

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Alan_Shore posted:

Is this a joke or is this brain damage, I can't tell

It's not a joke, this was an extremely common take before the first couple plot twists.

The initial premise of defending civilization from barbarians at the gate is probably the oldest racist troupe there is

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, the big twists intentionally undercut it all, but the series does initially present itself pretty straightforwardly fascist.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

still could be depending on how the nail the ending, no spoilers please.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
love my giant fascist cartoon

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

War and Pieces posted:

still could be depending on how the nail the ending, no spoilers please.

I mean regardless of whether or not it nails the landing, you've still got the Gabi storyline which is about as explicit a refutation as you can get of the "Us vs. Them" paradigm that fascism relies upon.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the back half of the Final Season Part 2 is full to the brim of characters talking about how genocide as bad and fascism is awful and they're all the viewpoint characters

there's very little subtlety in what AoT is going for by the end

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

ninjewtsu posted:

the back half of the Final Season Part 2 is full to the brim of characters talking about how genocide as bad and fascism is awful and they're all the viewpoint characters

there's very little subtlety in what AoT is going for by the end

and it's insane how you still have people going "well hange didn't provide a solution for everything wrong with human nature ergo her words mean nothing"

to say nothing of the fan spaces that actively poo poo on her for it

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
If you don't have a twelve-step actionable plan for world peace ready and waiting, you are implicitly saying that you believe fascism is preferable because it makes bad things happen more efficiently! I am very smart.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

McNutty posted:

Starship Troopers is the closest obvious comparison and that is a satire based specifically on how disgusting this kind of media is.

howabout that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I mean fundamentally the show is talking about why fascism happens and how it manages to propagated amongst a population while simultaneously brutalizing them. Big part of that is being faced with political scenarios that don't have a good solution, if the alternative sucks people will gravitate towards the "gently caress you got mine" answer because if someone is going to get hosed I can at least work towards that person not being me.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Obviously I've only seen an hour of the show so I respect that it could be poised to subvert this insane place it is starting from. The other issue I have is that the show looks like complete poo poo. It is way too shiny and poorly animated and the character models look like garbage. I am being completely genuine with all of this and I really am interested in what people have to say. Has digital animation destroyed how anime looks? I rewatched Akira after I started Attack on Titan last night and it still looks amazing in basically every way. I know it is unfair to compare an anime with a reduced budget and quicker turn around to one of the greatest animated films of all time but I mean even almost 30 year old episodes of Evangelion look better than this. I'm being sincere when I say I want to know what people see in this show. I am looking for good anime to watch because it's been a while since I have seen something that looks interesting.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

McNutty posted:

Has digital animation destroyed how anime looks?

lmao idk man

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Even though I'm pretty sure I remember the first 3 episodes quite well, it has been a while since I've seen them, so can someone tell me where in those episodes "this is fascism and fascism is good" comes in? Where is the dictator?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you're expecting anime series to look as good as Akira or NGE you are going to be consistently disappointed lol.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If you're expecting anime series to look as good as Akira or NGE you are going to be consistently disappointed lol.

Why though? They literally made those things decades ago. Why has the form gotten worse looking as time goes on?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

McNutty posted:

Why though? They literally made those things decades ago. Why has the form gotten worse looking as time goes on?

Akira was a gigantic anomaly that looked worlds better than even its own contemporaries, for starters. To say nothing of comparing something with a movie's production values to a longrunning tv series.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah try watching the original Gundam or something.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

I guess. It is just weird to see this show tossed around as an all timer and it doesn't even look all that good. And like y'all aren't even saying it does look good just that I shouldn't be such a naive dope about current quality standards.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think the show generally looks good, it's just that I don't think it looks anywhere close to Akira (one of the best looking anime films of all time) or Eva (which actually takes a ton of animation shortcuts but is very smart about it & makes up for it with a lot of stellar direction, great shot composition, etc).

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

AoT is one of the best looking anime tv shows I can think of, but 1. Season 1 does look rougher and has less consistent animation, though lmao at saying it looks ugly unless you're one of those people that despises the extra detailed eyeballs and 2. No one is going to seriously engage with you. If you were sincere you would've come into the AoT fan thread with something more resembling "can anyone explain to me what you like about this show? I think the art looks pretty bad and the theming makes me pretty uncomfortable" instead of trying to be as insulting as possible towards something we enjoy, and if you were a better troll you would've eased us into the fascism talk a little more instead of coming right out the gate with "I've only seen 3 episodes but I'm gonna copypaste one of the most well known arguments about the show."

If you go overboard people just disengage instead of getting triggered man

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 19, 2022

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

AoT seriously looks amazing. Yes it's rough in parts (though they generally fix it for the Blu Ray).

I mean I love Dragon Ball Super but man, that's super rough in parts.

The only show that might be better looking off the top of my head recently is Made In Abyss.

Who cares though because the writing, story, and characters are top tier.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

if early AOT is Ugly it's because it took the mangaka a long time to learn how to draw.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Bw9a5ZW

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

War and Pieces posted:

if early AOT is Ugly it's because it took the mangaka a long time to learn how to draw.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Bw9a5ZW

They're the same picture.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
didn't WIT's stock increase massively as a result of doing AoT season 1

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

McNutty posted:

Obviously I've only seen an hour of the show so I respect that it could be poised to subvert this insane place it is starting from. The other issue I have is that the show looks like complete poo poo. It is way too shiny and poorly animated and the character models look like garbage. I am being completely genuine with all of this and I really am interested in what people have to say. Has digital animation destroyed how anime looks? I rewatched Akira after I started Attack on Titan last night and it still looks amazing in basically every way. I know it is unfair to compare an anime with a reduced budget and quicker turn around to one of the greatest animated films of all time but I mean even almost 30 year old episodes of Evangelion look better than this. I'm being sincere when I say I want to know what people see in this show. I am looking for good anime to watch because it's been a while since I have seen something that looks interesting.

Unless I'm misremembering when stuff happens, the first couple episodes has A) the government sending a quarter of the population out on a suicide mission and the characters flatly state that everybody knows the government lied about the reason for the mission and it was just done to cull the population because there's not enough food and B) The characters calling out the inherent nonsensical idea of the most talented, accomplished people being pulled back to the place where they'll be of the least use to the majority of the population and only used to protect the government officials that already have the privilege of living in the safest place humanity has left. So I honestly wouldn't worry about the fact that you've only seen an hour of the show, you'll probably be firing out dumbass surface-level takes specifically to get a rise out of people no matter how much of it you watch.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ok nevermind what i said about seriously engaging

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
sometimes i'm glad i don't have a trained eye for what's good and bad animation unless it's obscene. gives me audiophile vibes like you can't fully appreciate an anime unless it's pumped through the most expensive gold cables.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

McNutty posted:

I'm being sincere when I say I want to know what people see in this show. I am looking for good anime to watch because it's been a while since I have seen something that looks interesting.

AoT has excellent and typically subtle worldbuilding that pays off as it deftly transitions genres between post-apocalyptic action to flesh mecha to political thriller, all while maintaining an engaging core of mysteries to uncover and an exploration of the intricacies that lead to human conflict. The story never really lets you settle down if you're keeping up with it, and though it is regularly subverting audience expectations by unveiling hidden complexity in the situations it presents, every reveal fits seamlessly with previously established context which makes for an honest thrilling experience.

The anime adaptation is also fancy looking beyond uneven production values in S1 and in the latter half of S3.

Additionally, mentioning Verhoeven's Starship Troopers makes your assessment funny (and seem intentionally dishonest) since that movie was panned by contemporary serious critics on the surface reading of being a celebration of fascism rather than the critique it is.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I don’t want to spoil anything but I think it’s fair to say that, while the series is presenting criticisms of fascism from the start, it doesn’t really start to get overt in that message until about halfway through. It’s there but they don’t start explicitly saying it for a while

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Lazy_Liberal posted:

sometimes i'm glad i don't have a trained eye for what's good and bad animation unless it's obscene. gives me audiophile vibes like you can't fully appreciate an anime unless it's pumped through the most expensive gold cables.

AoT, broadly, has very good animation

often it is, in fact, insanely well animated

https://imgur.com/ESJUEeQ
https://imgur.com/C75bg5h

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

christmas boots posted:

I don’t want to spoil anything but I think it’s fair to say that, while the series is presenting criticisms of fascism from the start, it doesn’t really start to get overt in that message until about halfway through. It’s there but they don’t start explicitly saying it for a while

That's fair, but, I think from the very start if you're paying attention, you can see a lot of the authority figures, both in the government and the military, are incompetent, selfish cowards.

Moreover, and I think is the most important point of all, Attack on Titan never glamorizes war, specifically dying in war, which is a core tenet of fascism. Characters in their last moments are often stripped of all honor and die pathetic, lonely, inglorious, pointless deaths because that's what war is. The very first episode has a mother tearfully asking if her son's death was at least useful to humanity and his commander breaking down and screaming that no, his death was useless, they accomplished nothing. It takes a couple of plot twists for the really heavy stuff to get in there, but the show is very, very clear on its opinion on war from the very beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Or Hannes boldly running up ready to be the hero and save the day only to choke in the moment because no, this is actually loving terrifying and not glorious at all