Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Once again we get the physics category where I'm inevitably yelling at the screen as the simplest poo poo turns into triple-stumpers......it's like making fire on Survivor: it always comes up, it's always the same very basic poo poo, maybe learn what a quark is when you get that call (the clue writers' absolute favorite physics word).

Yup. I have no idea why contestants are so consistently bad at science categories. And why clues are written so consistently bad in science categories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Haven't seen the episode but your post reminded me of this:

That was glorious. Too bad Andy blew his game this time after curb stomping the regular rounds. If it wasn’t for federal laws, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was told to throw the game to Simu.

I guess Michael McKean will take the million again assuming he’s in it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Island Nation posted:

If it wasn’t for federal laws, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was told to throw the game to Simu.

Wait, what are you saying may have happened? Because I think Andy just had a brain fart about Vatican City being a country, like I did in that moment. Like, I know it is, but for some reason I always forget it is for trivia reasons, despite being Catholic.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 10, 2022

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
He probably thought the same way I did and overthought the Vatican being a country or not, didn't seem like a throw to me.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I really do wonder if Andy backed off on answering questions in the third round. Maybe he just got tired or zoned out but he seemed to slow down out of nowhere and I wondered if he didn't want to make it a complete blowout. The game only wasn't a runaway by a little bit from Simu catching up in that time and then, lol on the final.

But yeah, for the final I was stuck between the two and couldn't remember if the Vatican technically had a coast (my geography sucks) and only went with it because I didn't think they'd expect celebrities to know about Liechtenstein.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Tryhard Andy Richter should just go on the real show and stop clogging up what’s supposed to be our fun good time celebrity silliness, lord knows he’s had enough chances. Hopefully this is it for him. Nothing personal but I was stoked to see him lose

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Cris has a similar play style as Holzhauer (spelling?), but I think he's more personable than James. I don't have a problem with Cris but I'm ready for someone else to win, though.

(No spoilers; Jeopardy is on as I type this so I don't know how the episode will end up.)

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Cris has a similar play style as Holzhauer (spelling?), but I think he's more personable than James. I don't have a problem with Cris but I'm ready for someone else to win, though.

To be a big better, Cris does not gamble with clues much. If he doesn't know it, he doesn't ring in. I think he knows more than he's ringing in, considering his success with Daily Doubles, but he'll have to be more aggressive to keep going. There has only contestant who's been anywhere close his level all week, though. Tonight was a slog.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

RC and Moon Pie posted:

To be a big better, Cris does not gamble with clues much. If he doesn't know it, he doesn't ring in. I think he knows more than he's ringing in, considering his success with Daily Doubles, but he'll have to be more aggressive to keep going. There has only contestant who's been anywhere close his level all week, though. Tonight was a slog.

A couple of episodes ago, there was a long period of time where he didn't ring in at all during Double Jeopardy until another contestant missed a clue. Cris is good but he may not have the accuracy that James did.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

That's been true of a lot of the "superchamps" in the COVID world. I think their audition process has changed and it's resulted in a lot more variance in contestant skill level, so we've had some competent champs who go up against sub-par fields and end up getting 5+ wins that probably wouldn't have happened a couple years ago.

I think the two exceptions are Matt and Amy, who could have really run up the score more than they did but they were really conservative about wagering.

Cris might be even more conservative. I was yelling at the tv a few nights back when he could have wagered like 30k with a runaway to be safe, got an insanely easy final, but had only wagered like 10k. That would have been something like an 82k day but he left so much money on the table. Maybe he was wary of the category, but I think he's just very risk-averse.

Big props to the guy two days ago who found that late DD and bet it all to make it a real game. I think that was the only actually exciting game all season so far.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I think he's just very risk-averse.

"Very" risk averse? He's been betting huge on daily doubles.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Yeah didn't he have like a $10k daily double wager yesterday or the day before? He could definitely be more aggressive in final but he takes plenty of risks otherwise, and he's building impressive leads in pretty much every game. It's early of course but he seems like the strongest champ since Amy.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Oh I don't argue with that, I completely agree he's the strongest since Amy. He's made some good DD wagers when he needs to establish the lead, but that's where risk aversion comes in the same as final. Once he has a good lead he leaves a lot of money sitting there. He's a strong player, maybe that'll work out for him and he'll win consistently like Amy with her standard $4000 wagers. I just don't think it's incorrect to call him risk averse since he rarely wagers anything significant when he has a safe margin to do so.

At least he does wager correctly when it matters to establish that lead. To be clear, I like the guy and how he plays, this is a minor nitpick.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The mental game of Jeopardy when you're actually there is already incredibly difficult and I don't blame anybody for thinking they're going to take it easy on final with their bets so they can take a little bit of a breather to get themselves more prepared for the next game coming up afterwards.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Absolutely brutal end to Double Jeopardy for the dude in second place. So close to not being locked out. Wouldn't have mattered with final but yeesh.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
https://twitter.com/thejericbrual/status/1580771893560631297

Ok but when are they buying a van and driving around to solve crimes together with an animal sidekick or something?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Is it just me or should the 200 and 1000 clues in "Books with Heart" have been reversed? Everyone knows Nicholas Sparks, I couldn't even tell you what the $200 clue was or what the response to it was if you put a gun to my head.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

https://twitter.com/thejericbrual/status/1580771893560631297

Ok but when are they buying a van and driving around to solve crimes together with an animal sidekick or something?

With Ken in the Q/Charlie role, sending them their missions for the day.

Now I made myself sad that this isn't a thing that exists.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

On the next episode of Kennect 4: "Can Love Blossom on the Battlefield?"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Remember when they made that non-canonical sequel for NES called Snake's Oil?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Second Chance Tournament starts today! I'm excited to see some people get another shot.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Matt and Amy would be intimidating but I'd have some solace in that Mattea wouldn't shut the gently caress up about herself and the team might not get their answers written down in time.

edit: Cool af that Amy has her tatt out. Amy mentioned it in one of her J! stories on the show but I think they made her keep it concealed during her whole run.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 17, 2022

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

The Sean posted:

edit: Cool af that Amy has her tatt out. Amy mentioned it in one of her J! stories on the show but I think they made her keep it concealed during her whole run.

Why in the world would they make her keep her tattoo covered? Have there really never been any visibly tattooed contestants or something? I've never thought about this

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Why in the world would they make her keep her tattoo covered? Have there really never been any visibly tattooed contestants or something? I've never thought about this

I can't find a good source but here: https://www.primetimer.com/item/Amy-Schneider-reveals-a-large-tattoo-she-was-required-to-cover-up-on-Jeopardy-62S4Ao.

She talked about this (the art, not the policy) in one of the story vignette segments.

"My tattoo is indeed of Ozma of Oz. For those who don't know, L. Frank Baum wrote many sequels to The Wizard of Oz, and in all of them the ruler of Oz was Princess Ozma. She had been the rightful heir, but was kidnapped as a baby by a sorceress, who enchanted her to become a boy. Eventually, the enchantment is lifted, and she is revealed to be the beautiful princess she always was. So it seemed like the perfect image to commemorate my transition!"

As for why I can only guess that the show is so old that old fashioned biases, such as "people with tattoos are unchristlike therefore bad" colors their policies. Mattea had tatts visible when she was on, I think, though (no shade at them for this'; also she seems fine as a person just very talkative).

The Sean fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 17, 2022

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wasn't there a guy on recently with a Mohawk and neck and hand/arms tattoos?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

it might be a case of not wanting to have to pay the tattoo artist (or L. Frank Baum's estate??) for on-screen royalties, especially considering the potential for a winning streak like the one Amy did indeed hit. if so, it's likely also a case of the producers being overcautious. would be nice if we saw it uncovered for the fixed-length ToC.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Elijah PRINCE?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Baum's estate has nothing to do with it; Ozma and the original illustrations have been public domain for decades.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

Wasn't there a guy on recently with a Mohawk and neck and hand/arms tattoos?

I remember someone with a huge throat tattoo on once.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I know it was five years ago now, but there was nothing about tattoos on any of the documents we had. It was more about making sure you didn't wear stuff that was going to gently caress with the cameras than anything else.

Just reading this Wikipedia article I wouldn't be surprised if it is a copyright thing and they're just playing it safe rather than sorry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_status_of_The_Wizard_of_Oz_and_related_works_in_the_United_States

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That page is perfectly clear that Ozma of Oz has been public domain since 1983

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, but with all the other side stuff, I wouldn't blame them for wanting to not risk it at all. All it takes is for one tiny piece from that tattoo to be included in a book that's not out of copyright.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm pretty sure the artist can also claim copyright for their art, regardless of the subject of the art. Basically me trying to recall what is happening with NBA video games / toys where Lebron's artist sued and won.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

The Dave posted:

I'm pretty sure the artist can also claim copyright for their art, regardless of the subject of the art. Basically me trying to recall what is happening with NBA video games / toys where Lebron's artist sued and won.

My understanding is that tattoo artists generally only retain copyright/intellectual ownership of the tattoo if that's part of the agreement with the tattoo recipient from the outset, and that celebrity tattoo artists are really the only ones doing that (so that they can get paid for reproductions). That is, your average schmo's tattoo is not going to legally belong to the artist, which I think would make the show more vulnerable to a lawsuit in this case

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

https://uproxx.com/tv/amy-schneider-tattoo-jeopardy-covered-up-copyright-issues-transgender-champ/

“I also generally don’t wear long sleeves, but I had a tattoo that had to be covered up, because if it wasn’t they’d have to get clearance from the artist and that’s sort of a copyright issue,” Schneider told Newsweek. “So I had to wear long sleeves every day, which was unusual for me. So I was a bit worried about it.”

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I hate copyright law more than most things. This hasn't helped.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, there are weird rules surrounding tattoos in media because the artist retains some rights to them even though it's on someone else's body. The guy who did Mike Tyson's face tattoo sued The Hangover 2 because they put it on Ed Helms without permission

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Enjoyed today's episode with Tracy repeatedly answering the "five-letter places" category with six-letter places and Molly doing her best Kimmy Gibbler impersonation!

Edit: Watching Final and wondering if somebody is gonna say "sheep"
Edit 2: lol

CPColin fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 19, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The loser tournament is fun so far. Last night's final, oof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I was able to deduce the answer, but yesterday's final was...very strangely worded to me? It wasn't immediately clear if they were asking about a specific named plant (i.e. "the apple tree that had the apple that hit Newton on the head", which I believe is apocryphal anyway) or a particular species or what. I can kind of see why it stumped the contestants.