Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

treat posted:

Not digging for spoilers, but can you elaborate on this a bit? Are you talking about Steam community features? Does this mean I need to be online to get the proper experience?

So the game has ~18 different endings which form a complete picture of what's going on in the game. I want to say about half are all that's necessary to get the gist and you can do that playing naturally but to see everything you're going to have to do some real world internet sleuthing. There is a (free) DLC called the Daemon that you need to install and run side-by-side that reveals information while you play. The game has no multiplayer or online features but quite a bit about the narrative and information necessary to advance deeper are hidden in actual Wikipedia pages, a password protected itch page, a geocities-as-hell website that's the ramblings of a mad man, the twitter to one of the in-game victims, you'll even have to edit the save file to intentionally cause a glitch and then look for the dev's coordinates to glitch world in the Steam forums.

I played the game pretty close to launch and all of this was pretty scattershot and I even had to Google translate two separate walkthroughs in Russian and Chinese but I 100%'ed the game in about 6 hours (effectively double that because Steam wasn't running the whole time I was sleuthing). You actually have to backup your save, turn off cloud sharing, and edit the file because two of the achievements are a permanent binary choice. There are 100% complete guides by now which probably take the fun out of it, I would suggest trying to play the game naturally and following the breadcrumbs until you repeat a couple endings then look up a guide for a push.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Noob Saibot posted:

Dusk golem doesn’t want to give anything away but is suggesting the possibility that silent hill 2 part 1 is the remake and part 2 is an all new sequel developed by shovelware manufacturer Bloober Team

The monkey’s paw curls so hard it becomes a klein bottle

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

We got our last Silent Hill game 10 years ago. The last one Team Silent worked on was 18 years ago and the most highly regarded game in the series released 21 years ago. The most interesting thing we've seen of the series since was a first person proof of concept demo - by Hideo Kojima of all people - for a game that ended up being cancelled, and itself is no longer accessible.

At this point I'm really not clinging onto what Silent Hill *is*. I'm excited at the prospect of more horror games and that this series specifically isn't just a rotting corpse in Konami's basement of dead IP.

My realistic positive outlook is that we just get more Silent Hill games on Steam and that at least 1 of the new games and remakes turns out pretty good. I think that would be great in all honesty.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

oldpainless posted:

Illbleed

Then play Illbleed twice more

More like Old Killerman

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://www.konami.com/games/silenthill/archive/eu/en/

I love how Silent Hill Homecoming is completely missing here. Konami is actually pretending the game never happened, but acknowledges the HD Collection and Book of Memories did happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRvRWBQNrSI

Konami also straight up spoils what is going to be revealed in the stream later on in the Youtube video description. SH 2 remake confirmed.

EDIT since Konami have updated the description:
https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1582678527505145856

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 19, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not sure why you'd bother missing out Homecoming just to include Origins & Downpour.

Wonder if it straight up using some designs from the movie was an issue lol

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Isn't there some weirdness about Homecoming being the only SH game not to release in Japan, and thus they just don't give a poo poo about it or acknowledge it in any way?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah that's definitely it, that site also uses the Japanese name for Origins too

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Even “team silent” was a loose collective of creators Konami shuffled around. Silent Hill has no distinct identity outside of rust-flesh aesthetics and the rockin tunes of Akira Yamaoka, it started to suck because studios kept aping SH2 instead of doing their own thing which is why ShatMem is the best remembered of the latter bunch.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Later games aping sh2 wasn't necessarily a bad thing, games like Downpour did some interesting things with the theme of the game. The issue is that it was implemented badly with its "save/kill" binary moral system rather than the more subtle scoring in SH2 and, to some extent, ShatMems

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 19, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Fil5000 posted:

More like Old Killerman

My friend and I still repeat the 'a star-shaped kill mark, and because of this kill mark, they call him....Killerman' and 'Killerman is Killerman' bits from that game. It's so loving dumb I love it.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
ShatMems is now my new favorite videogame shorthand.

Can't wait for the SH2 remake with the directors cut true ending where the town itself forms into a massive golem piloted by the Twin Pyramids and James has to climb the beast in an action-packed Shadow of The Colossus sequence in order to smother them with a pillow

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
apparently, the Annapurna SH spinoff is developed by No Code (Stories Untold, Observation). More interested in that one than the SH2 remake or the new mainline game, tbh

https://twitter.com/_tom_henderson_/status/1582710540459442177?s=46&t=TT7hZlIC0boZllP9-WT-vg

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Remaking Silent Hill 2 is just an absolutely bizarre choice. It still looks and sounds pretty great, it's easily available to play, and I can't think of anything you could do to improve the atmosphere or tight storytelling. I'm old as hell and I was still too young to play SH1 when it was readily available and it's gone, what, 20 years without release on any legit service? It still holds up on the whole but it makes so much more sense to me to just do that one, if you're gonna do this poo poo at all.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
They haven't made a banner on the site yet, but the PlayStation Store has a sale for horror games right now. Including Darkwood, Resident Evil series, Carrion, and horror adjacent things like Diablo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Remaking Silent Hill 2 is just an absolutely bizarre choice. It still looks and sounds pretty great, it's easily available to play, and I can't think of anything you could do to improve the atmosphere or tight storytelling. I'm old as hell and I was still too young to play SH1 when it was readily available and it's gone, what, 20 years without release on any legit service? It still holds up on the whole but it makes so much more sense to me to just do that one, if you're gonna do this poo poo at all.

Why pay writers and visionaries to make new stuff when you can just endlessly rerelease your back catalogue of proven hits. Worked for the music industry, now game publishers all wanna do the same thing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Imo it really comes down to SH2 doing everything SH1 did but better. No cult stuff, still had the cool manifestations of mental thoughts as monsters, better mechanical design, main character actually involved with the plot.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Barry Convex posted:

apparently, the Annapurna SH spinoff is developed by No Code (Stories Untold, Observation). More interested in that one than the SH2 remake or the new mainline game, tbh

https://twitter.com/_tom_henderson_/status/1582710540459442177?s=46&t=TT7hZlIC0boZllP9-WT-vg

Oh gently caress yeeeeesss!!!

The only thing Dusk ever said was they were in talks at one point. They must be doing the episodic title!!!

E: Speaking of, an important thread on expectations

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1582538445750415360?t=aZ8EIhO_Mmyi1QKQsBlELg&s=19

With Ito being involved in the next Mainline title, they really might try to get away from the "staples" of Silent Hill. Not sure how I feel about it but apparently that was there original plan for Silent Hill 3 first, then 5. I'm keeping an open and optimistic mind

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 19, 2022

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

They haven't made a banner on the site yet, but the PlayStation Store has a sale for horror games right now. Including Darkwood, Resident Evil series, Carrion, and horror adjacent things like Diablo.

The page is now live. Halloween Sale: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/category/c69e349b-2c5b-435c-af83-69fa06673f26/1

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Yea this is a new take on Silent Hill like how RE7 began a new take on Resident evil

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Noob Saibot posted:

Yea this is a new take on Silent Hill like how RE7 began a new take on Resident evil

Silent Hill's in backwoods Loosiana now?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Silent Hill's in backwoods Loosiana now?

It was already in Appalachia, it's not much of a stretch.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/primoman/status/1582761174348988416?s=46&t=kH_FZrJxt97_5rhbF7KSjg

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

as a denouement for scorn, there's an overly long video that delves into the artbook and makes everything about the game significantly clearer. it also goes into some more detail about planned and scrapped areas, with the general impression being that there were going to be 2-ish more levels to go through that got cut for reasons of development

the short form version of the story: "humans" in scornworld are birthed from the side of a great organic wall (which is where scorn guy emerges from, hence the umbilical cord). over time, they developed mastery over biomechanical technology and created a great industrialized civilization, with creatures like the moldmen (the egg guys you free in the first level), the dog/chicken things, and the homunculi (red jar babies) being freely used as food, parts, and workers. eventually, they became obsessed with the idea of heightening their consciousness and transcending physical limitations (with sex being considered one of these ways, hence the parasites and gently caress Palace at the end), which presumably eventually caused the world's ruling elite to ditch the physical plane and leave everything to rot and fall into decay. scorn guy is trying to make it to polis to join them, but we all know how that ends up

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What the hell is that intro.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

What the hell is that intro.

i muted it and skipped through it as soon as i heard the Youtube Voice and i would highly recommend anyone else do so if all you're interested in is the art and some of the text included with the book

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
So, regarding Scornguy and his "buddy," Was the Scornguy we played as until the flood scene a separate character from the one birthed out of the wall? Were they the parasite? Their facial features seemed very similar in the intro to what we saw during the surgery bit, which could explain the intro as the guy waking up after being mutated and experiencing the visions of the building and his initial chasm fall.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

So, regarding Scornguy and his "buddy," Was the Scornguy we played as until the flood scene a separate character from the one birthed out of the wall? Were they the parasite? Their facial features seemed very similar in the intro to what we saw during the surgery bit, which could explain the intro as the guy waking up after being mutated and experiencing the visions of the building and his initial chasm fall.

probably, that’s why the melee weapon was tangled up in the parasite’s tail

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Oxxidation posted:

probably, that’s why the melee weapon was tangled up in the parasite’s tail

Oh drat I didn't even think about that, nor the fact that they are crawling in the intro and still have the key-spike-thing on their left hand. Neato.

Anyways, Scorn was downright painful at times to play, but ultimately I got exactly what I wanted out of the Kickstarter: An explorable Giger hellworld, which made it worthwhile to me. Just wish it wasn't so drat short.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Imo it really comes down to SH2 doing everything SH1 did but better. No cult stuff, still had the cool manifestations of mental thoughts as monsters, better mechanical design, main character actually involved with the plot.

I don't disagree with most of this, but I would argue that Harry is extremely involved in the plot as he's the only one moving it forward. That's kinda the reveal at the end: Dahlia and Alyssa were in some sort of magic stalemate. Neither of them could do anything about the other. The rest of the cast are just lost in hellworld, unable to do much of anything either. Harry's actions throughout the game are the only thing breaking the stasis. Dahlia even gloats about it. He's the driving force of the plot.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Crowetron posted:

I don't disagree with most of this, but I would argue that Harry is extremely involved in the plot as he's the only one moving it forward. That's kinda the reveal at the end: Dahlia and Alyssa were in some sort of magic stalemate. Neither of them could do anything about the other. The rest of the cast are just lost in hellworld, unable to do much of anything either. Harry's actions throughout the game are the only thing breaking the stasis. Dahlia even gloats about it. He's the driving force of the plot.

And I don't disagree with that, just that Harry himself could be replaced with any number of people and it wouldn't change the game much. Yes parenthood is a big part of the story thematically, but in terms of the actual plot Harry kind of just stumbles in and everything falls down around him. Versus the rest of the series; they all were "about" the town, but they also were mostly about the actual player characters, who were often unreliable narrators. SH2 was about James, SH3 was about Cheryl, even Origins had Travis all hosed up. Really the only one I can think of that isn't "about" their protagonist in that way is The Room, which has a lot of involvement with all the side characters and the main antagonist but the protagonist would really just rather not be trapped in this lovely lease thanks, in the same way that Harry would really like his daughter back thx

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

And I don't disagree with that, just that Harry himself could be replaced with any number of people and it wouldn't change the game much. Yes parenthood is a big part of the story thematically, but in terms of the actual plot Harry kind of just stumbles in and everything falls down around him. Versus the rest of the series; they all were "about" the town, but they also were mostly about the actual player characters, who were often unreliable narrators. SH2 was about James, SH3 was about Cheryl, even Origins had Travis all hosed up. Really the only one I can think of that isn't "about" their protagonist in that way is The Room, which has a lot of involvement with all the side characters and the main antagonist but the protagonist would really just rather not be trapped in this lovely lease thanks, in the same way that Harry would really like his daughter back thx

Oh, yeah. I see what you're saying. He's an important player but the plot is in no way about Harry Mason.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

calcio posted:

Looking to play a few during October, top 3 all time horror games?
Just play Eternal Darkness and get all 4 endings.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Wrong thread

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The one part I feel SH1 stumbles is Harry's unnamed (in the games) wife and how she's seemingly important in the context of the opening but is completely inconsequential non-character. It's like the opening was the first thing made to sell the game and the game built around it.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
So uuuhhh why didn’t anyone tell me that Book of Memories had an excellent soundtrack??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0spJmIm8hlo

Shits been out a decade and I’m just hearing this NOW

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A better question, why did you doubt Yamaoka??

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

al-azad posted:

A better question, why did you doubt Yamaoka??

It's not Yamaoka, it's actually Troy Baker (??) and performed by Johnny Yong Bosch's band Eyeshine (???)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Doubting Vash the Stampede is even worse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Seems like it'd be a lot more interesting to tighten up the mechanics and storyline of the game that could actually use it.

Yes I know this is about SH2 being more marketable don't @ me I'm just disappointed