Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

My favourite ship is the ashimmu, the ashimmu is a great ship, buy more ashimmus! They're very good!

(WTS ashimmus and ashimmu BPCs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
Eve online

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Eve,

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Furnok Dorn posted:

pee pee doo doo

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
What if Eve, but offline?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

WilWheaton posted:

Adam Offline

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

WilWheaton posted:

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

WilWheaton posted:

Mention Evemu (eve emulator) and hear only "eve offline" "haha eve offline" "wait isn't that eve offline"

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
Cher_Believe_onlinemp3 .exe

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

floppyspud posted:

Mention Evemu (eve emulator) and hear only "eve offline" "haha eve offline" "wait isn't that eve offline"

I got intrigued and looked at the status

[Can Send Eve-mails to Groups (like Corp)
0% Broken]

Obviously they don't have the right priorities

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

WilWheaton posted:

I got intrigued and looked at the status

[Can Send Eve-mails to Groups (like Corp)
0% Broken]

Obviously they don't have the right priorities

Yeah, it's pretty bare bones (not that it's their fault) and missing many of the things that make eve fun; industry, salt, corpmails. But it's pretty interesting for like an hour of playing it, and 12 of setting it up.

Techno
Jul 13, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

WilWheaton posted:

WilWheaton farts

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Can we ban all local roleplay in delve?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

you've made your pubbie bed, now you sleep in it

hardcore RP in 1dq1 local until the servers turn off

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Did I do a good job at making my pubbie bed?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

omw to 1dq local to howl about jousting knaves

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I have not played this game in years but space calls to me like some sort of deadly siren song.

Has this game gone to poo poo? Gotten better? Different but the same?

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Rhjamiz posted:

I have not played this game in years but space calls to me like some sort of deadly siren song.

CCP is making GBS threads the bed, player count is down, economy slowing down past the point of no return, nullsec was ruined over 2 years ago and little has been done to fix it, wormholes are empty due to low player pop and old because of lack of attention from devs, lowsec is controlled entirely by about 3 alliances thay dreadbomb any form of content instantly and stop smaller groups from operating, botting is still a problem, rmt is still a problem, they aren't listening to the csm, they promise loads but deliver nothing, no new content since 2020, but we still for some reason love the game.

I'd you dare travel on to reddit there is a really good comment that lays out literally every reason why the game is failing, but I would stay away from that shithole if I were you.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

corgski posted:

How does this thread just keep on delivering like this lmao.

This game if played consecutively for years upon years rots peoples brains.

The positive side of course is that we get to see the end state of the libertarian ideal played out in this here video game.

timbro
Jul 18, 2004

Rhjamiz posted:

If you never played or not for a long time you might enjoy it.

I played very briefly and can say the slickness and QoL improvements on the game are great. As a game it’s still good, the market works, industry works. We are in WHs and there’s regular ppl to kill (or frankly get ganked by).

I’m not really sure what else I could want as I wasn’t there in the hey day. Maybe more geeses to play with- probably- but it’s still fun and plenty of time can be sunk into it.

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

floppyspud posted:

I'd you dare travel on to reddit there is a really good comment that lays out literally every reason why the game is failing, but I would stay away from that shithole if I were you.

Allow me to save you the journey to that poo poo heap

Here's the history summarised (Edit not really in chronological order mostly!):

1. CCP years ago turned the Rorqual into a capital that could mine obsence amounts of ore. Everyone at the time said "This will screw up the game economy." CCP ignored the people because having a "Mining Capital" encouraged people to skill inject into it; stimulating the $ market (as it's required for extracting and injecting.)
2. After 2-3 years of rorqual mining, the entire game economy was hosed up. Mineral prices fell massively as super blocs concentrated Rorqual fleets on strip mining the infinitely respawning ore sites. Capitals were being produced in hours as rorqual fleets stripped entire systems. The titan, once a noteworthy-for-existing goal for an alliance of thousands of players, became attainable in weeks for a guy multiboxing \~8 rorquals (in range of an alliance's super fleet to be dropped on anyone attempting to kill the rorquals).
3. CCP decided the only way to unfuck their mistake is to introduce an "age of scarcity" and remove 90% of ore from the game in most places, sites don't respawn anywhere near as fast anymore.
4. After 2-3 years of scarcity CCP announces "The End of scarcity!" and reintroduce ore back to (Edit, ty for who told me) 10% of it's original values and after protest uncreases it to 20% of original values. (Still -80% compared to pre-scarcity). The playerbase is unhappy.
5. CCP announce sweeping industry changes that make it harder to manufacture almost everything. The playerbase is unhappy.
6. The industy changes vastly increase the cost of capital ship production. Industrialists and players who like to use capitals are unhappy.
7. Due to the cost of capitals being so high, people are using them less (too expensive to replace). The people who like to hunt capitals have nothing to hunt, these players are unhappy.
8. The changes made many faction ships not worth producing, blueprints fall in value. Players who used to like hunting pirate faction ships for blueprints are unhappy.
9. The new industry changes require people to do more PI. PI is a chore clickfest shitpile that people have asked for saved layouts, quick updating etc for years. CCP doesn't address these. People interacting with PI are unhappy (and more people are forced into it).
10. CCP introduced the "Dynamic Bounty System", reducing ISK payouts on bounties in nullsec based on how much PvP is in that system. Because inherently people who want to do PvE would prefer to be in areas with little PvP, the vast majority of systems have their DBS rating fall to 50%, cutting nullsec PvE'ers income in half. Nullsec PvE'ers are unhappy, many stop doing it, leaving mostly bots or afk pilots (launch drones and then go afk until the site is done) because the sites no longer reward enough for people's attention. Nullsec PvEer's are unhappy.
11. Because there are only bots or afk people to hunt, there is less active players doing interesting poo poo (smartbomb Machs in havens, carriers in havens, etc) to hunt, so people who used to hunt nullsec PvEer's have fewer targets, fewer interesting targets, so they are unhappy, many stop playing/hunting.
12. Well before the DBS CCP introduces instanced PvE (abyssals), anyone who liked "Eve is a sandbox" is unhappy. Initially, to run the most valuable "T5" abyssals, you had to be in lowsec or nullsec to encourage risk. This is rapidly reverted so that abyssal farmers can operate in highsec in relative safety. CCP even later introduces T6 abyssals, still usable in highsec. PvEer's who switch to abyssals and lose valuable ships to disconnects because CCP can't make the server stable, and these losses aren't reimbursed, are unhappy. Anyone who cares about number of players in space in the "real world" aka not an instance is unhappy.
13. In the "End of Scarcity" CCP altered ore values everywhere, making it so that certain minerals are concentrated in lowsec, attempting to revive the "dead area" that lowsec has substantially been activity wise for 15 years. This didn't really work very well at all. Lowsec denizens who liked it as a lawless and un-ownable space disliked the fact that now giga blobs of Rorquals mining mandatory minerals was what their outlaw zone was for. These players were unhappy.
14. CCP's "End of Scarcity" adjusted how mining is done, adding "loss" to inefficency, generally making the "End of Scarcity" even more laughable, and they also made asteroids much smaller, forcing miners to more actively change asteroid targets - taking the "relaxing" style of mining (one of the most boring activities in the game) and forcing greater activity into it. Miners were unhappy.
15. AFTER ALL OF THIS CLUSTER gently caress OF BAD DESIGN, MORONIC DECISIONS CCP announces that the cost of subscription (via $ or plex) is increasing by \~35%, far more for countries with unfavourable exchange rates to the USD/Euro.
16. So previous design changes made: Industrialists, miners, nullsec PvEer's, nullsec PvPer's, anyone who liked "Eve sandbox", almost all of lowsec, people who liked flying capitals, people who liked hunting capitals, and anyone who cares about the games economy/ecosystem unhappy. Now the price was going up. Everyone becomes double unhappy, and new people who were fine with the catastrophic changes above (i.e. highsec miners, highsec mission runners, traders) aren't happy about the price increases.
17. CCP says "Just wait for fanfest, we have the biggest content update ever." (almost actual quote, can't remember exact wording).
18. At fanfest nothing substantive is announced at all. Some new cosmetics for ships. "We are going to try to finally fix faction warfare after 10+ years of abject stagnation." Anyone who trusted CCP (lol) becomes more unhappy.
19. Almost the entire playerbase is now "TRIPLE unhappy", many are leaving.
20. CCP is already selling Skillpoints for money (Which they promised not to do in writing) and then begin selling Ships for money! Buy a mining barge pack for $15. Industrialists, miners ingame become "QUAD unhappy" at the idea that their value ingame, their time, investment, manufacturing skill, shipping, is replaced by "magic poo poo that appears for real money". Anyone concerned with the state of the economy also becomes QUAD unhappy.
21. When CCP introduced Citadels they made the explicit promise that assets were safe via the specifically named "Asset Safety" system. When a citadel dies (except wormhole space, where everything drops!) assets are automatically recovered to a nearby lowsec NPC station or even the same system if there is a NPC station it in. Except in Forsaken Fortress, with something like 2 months notice, "Lol we changing it", so unfueled structures become "Abandoned" and then everything drops. Many long dormant players unsuprisingly don't read emails or have activity - relying on the solid information given by CCP that Assets were safe. Smart players exploit CCP's stupidity, and start shooting structures on the test server, the ones that drop good stuff also drop that good stuff on the live server when the patch hits it. Some dude scoops 5 Tril of TII BPOs (not an exaggeration) and many other vast fortunes staked in structures CCP promised were safe are lost. Almost everyone is unhappy about this, particularly as a broken promise.
22. By this point anyone with any kind of view of the game's metastate/condition knows that CCP has absolutely no idea what they are doing. Repeated negative changes that make the game worse for entire playstyles keep coming, CCP continues to lie about what they will not do or what "biggest update ever" will be announced. Many players no longer have any faith in CCP at all - like getting to see inside the cockpit of the plane you are on and finding the Pilot is eating glue and the co-pilot is the corpse of Amelia Earhart.
23. Playerbase craters - playercount begins to drop to 2008 levels, then 2007 levels, and currently towards the lowest number of online active players since 2006, and continuing to fall. CCP takes no action, and worse, claims "It's just summer lol". That glue-eating Pilot just said, over the intercom "Well we might be falling but we're still in the air lol, don't worry about it." and continues eating glue.
24. Everyone who loves Eve is now QUINTUPLE unhappy because we are powerless to save something we dearly love. The playercount is falling so much that space feels empty. The ISK velocity is plummeting because there are no longer people buying and selling items (Imagine human population of your country falling by 500% in 5 years and the impacts it would have...)
25. The pilot, serene in the knowledge that this is his rodeo and he "must" be qualified enough to fly the plane due to the fact that he is the one piloting it (Looking at you, Hilmar), takes no course corrective action at all, and the descent continues.

For context, I have two accounts and I am subbed until 2025. I love this game. I have played for 17 years.

Edit - removed the pubbie reddit gubbins

captainclaw fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 19, 2022

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

captainclaw posted:

Edit - removed the pubbie reddit gubbins

Thank you kind stranger!

Also thanks for posting it here, it's a very good guide, despite the redditness.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thank you for posting this

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Well poo poo, thanks for posting this. That's deeply disappointing.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

captainclaw posted:

6. The industy changes vastly increase the cost of capital ship production. Industrialists and players who like to use capitals are unhappy.
9. The new industry changes require people to do more PI. PI is a chore clickfest shitpile that people have asked for saved layouts, quick updating etc for years. CCP doesn't address these. People interacting with PI are unhappy (and more people are forced into it).
10. CCP introduced the "Dynamic Bounty System", reducing ISK payouts on bounties in nullsec based on how much PvP is in that system.
14. CCP's "End of Scarcity" adjusted how mining is done, adding "loss" to inefficency, generally making the "End of Scarcity" even more laughable, and they also made asteroids much smaller, forcing miners to more actively change asteroid targets - taking the "relaxing" style of mining (one of the most boring activities in the game) and forcing greater activity into it. Miners were unhappy.
15. AFTER ALL OF THIS CLUSTER gently caress OF BAD DESIGN, MORONIC DECISIONS CCP announces that the cost of subscription (via $ or plex) is increasing by \~35%, far more for countries with unfavourable exchange rates to the USD/Euro.

Highlighting these for emphasis because IMO they're the most economically damaging changes to date.

At its peak, this game was noteworthy for having a strong player-driven economy. A common marketing refrain I'd heard before playing was that you could earn enough ISK by playing the game to fund your monthly sub through PLEX. This was still mostly true when I started playing, but it depended on two main conditions that no longer exist.

1. Having a healthy PvE ecosystem with adequate rewards vs. risk.

PLEX has risen about 300% since I started. Meanwhile, PvE opportunities have reduced their earning potential by 50% minimum over the same period. Simplified numbers for estimation's sake, but it illustrates that funding a sub with PLEX has seen a five-fold increase in effort. And dwindling player numbers means there's a comparatively bigger target on your back while you play. Personally, I've aged enough over the last ~9 years since I started that devoting multiple hours a day every day to EVE no longer fits into my lifestyle. I can sustain an hour a day, tops, and I'm not about to spend all my play time grinding for ISK just to flush it away to pay my own measly $20 sub. I've got adult money and I'm perfectly content throwing around $20/month for a bit of care-free fun.

2. Having enough rubes devoted players buying PLEX with real money to then sell on the market for ISK.

PvP opportunities are diminishing with the active player count, ganking opportunities are falling with PvE players quitting, and fewer people are willing to convert real money to ISK to finance whatever activities they want to do in-game. PLEX supply and demand are both dropping, but supply is falling faster. CCP is never going to inject PLEX into the game without a corresponding real-money transaction, but after the SP and ship sale shenanigans, I could absolutely see them putting up NPC PLEX buys to remove PLEX while pocketing all of the real money.

I'm privileged in that I'm done trying to earn ISK in this game actively and am living off of what I accumulated before CCP took a sledgehammer to it. New players are at an even greater disadvantage in this sense - not only are they competing against veteran players with years of skills and resources, but they're also doing so in an economy that offers limited earning potential if you aren't already filthy loving rich.

So yeah, Space Capitalism Simulator is going exactly as planned.

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Rhjamiz posted:

Well poo poo, thanks for posting this. That's deeply disappointing.

But now you know what you're up against it shouldn't be too disappointing to dip your toe back in and see if anything scratches the itch. Much like the reddit op, I have 4 accounts subbed and log in to do stuff with my corpmates. Although it might feel like things are spiralling, I still hold out hope that we'll be here in another 20 years complaining about something eve related.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

captainclaw posted:

But now you know what you're up against it shouldn't be too disappointing to dip your toe back in and see if anything scratches the itch. Much like the reddit op, I have 4 accounts subbed and log in to do stuff with my corpmates. Although it might feel like things are spiralling, I still hold out hope that we'll be here in another 20 years complaining about something eve related.

Might do. I was dipping my toes into Wormholes last time I checked in, GANDR or CTRLV might be fun. Always did enjoy small group pvp stuff.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

captainclaw posted:

I started playing in April, and subbed in May. I have an alt account that I subbed last month simply because I wanted an alt to do other things on without the limit of one account/paying for MCT with those limits. I’m not rich, but since I’m not going out (irl household member(s) having no immune response) and stopped subs to both WoW and EQ I don’t mind helping the company limp along with two subs/mo. I am mostly logging in for fleet stuff still, but just in the last couple of weeks branched out into exploration, baby Abyssals, and PI on a single character that I plan on doing more of once my alt leaves Empire space to join Goonwaffe. There is lots of stuff going on I am having fun with, but my alt bought some stuff in Jita (he’s Caldari, so like right there!) and I flew from 1DQ to Jita last night in my hauler without scouting and the early adrenaline petered out as I realized I was completely unmolested and safe the whole trip.

I read the long post and realize why, and am disappointed. Mismanagement of a video game money printer such as Eve Online should be a capital offense. I’m not a bittervet by any stretch, but I’m upset I never got into Eve earlier in the process. I mean, the players already said how to fix the problems; the doubling down and predatory short term monetization strategy will certainly be fixed by noted fun game company Pearl Abyss :bang:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I can’t speak authoritatively to the current state of things because I won but I do think it’s worth remembering that people have been posting about how EVE is circling the drain for years now.

psilocybin laden
Jul 29, 2022

raminasi posted:

I can’t speak authoritatively to the current state of things because I won but I do think it’s worth remembering that people have been posting about how EVE is circling the drain for years now.

yes but the playercount also didn't look like this

although this was a couple days ago, for some reason right now it's at 18.5k which is very weird for midday on a wednesday usually it's much lower

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i played in the (imo) goon golden age of 2009 and the super serious cfc nullsec warfest goldenage of 2014 and am subbed right now and i enjoy the game now more than i ever did before. i play for a few hours not quite every day almost all of it is pvp. i can tell you that in 2009 when i started playing everyone was saying how boring and stupid the game was compared to 2006. in 2010 everyone said how dumb and stupid the game was compared to 2009. in 2014 everyone said how dumb and stupid the game was compared to 2010. etc. in 2022 everyone is saying how dumb and stupid the game is comapred to 2020. or 2016. or whatever. no one on the internet ever knows how to appreciate the present. i dont know how that depressed wall of text from goons who pretend they dont read reddit affects me if it does but its true player count is going down and its probably naive to think itll ever go back to what it aws in 2012. world of warcraft has a ton of players and that game is terrible and sucks. eve has been around a long time and the internet is very bitter there will always be people saying everything is ruined, nothing is good and the game is dead. it isnt. i think anyone who wants to rejoin the game or play for the first time absolutely should. theres dumber things to spend $20 on.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

last night i tried to gank someone in a wormhole and they warped in abunch of hacs. i got out and they said we should 1v1 and i told them they should eat my rear end. an hour later i was getting chased out of frt space with 200m of poo poo in a covops frigate by half a dozen interceptors and assault frigates. when i got back i found out we had fed a couple cruisers to some people who rolled into our wormhole. we talked about bikes and how to cook pork. 10/10 mmo experience. maybe tonight ill try it again. or play some guilty gear instead. who knows.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

40 lbs to freedom posted:

when i got back i found out we had fed a couple cruisers to some people who rolled into our wormhole. we talked about bikes and how to cook pork. 10/10 mmo experience.

I lost a Caracal to three bait Kikimoras and honked as my pod warped away during pork-and-bike-chat, would lose it again :c00lbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

captainclaw posted:

Allow me to save you the journey to that poo poo heap

Here's the history summarised (Edit not really in chronological order mostly!):

I think CCP have given up on reviving EVE and they are in the mode where they are gonna fleece as much money out of the hardcore players as possible until it dies.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rutibex posted:

I think CCP have given up on reviving EVE and they are in the mode where they are gonna fleece as much money out of the hardcore players as possible until it dies.

It reminds me of how Amazon has come to the realization that they’re going to have hired and fired every available worker in the US at least once by 2027 and are just riding out the executive bonuses until they have to deal with that reality, except for the good will of EVE players

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
A lot of eve is about old men bitching because they ain't 22 any more, eve in 2004 and 2008 was grindy as poo poo and fleet warfare was horrible. What they are remembering is being 22 and hanging out with their mates on Team speak.

CCP wants to re-boot eve TV and eve Radio but with actual young people because god drat, the 17 year old potential audience isn't going to watch brisc and whatever drunk he has dragged in front of a camera this week.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

We could all go back to private Freelancer servers and fly the same 10 ships around indefinitely in a static universe but we want the experience and potential that EVE offers. It's not "being unappreciative" to criticize CCP for lovely decisions that have driven players away, especially considering that this game not only benefits from but requires a critical mass of players to work.

furthermore,

psilocybin laden posted:

yes but the playercount also didn't look like this

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Cenodoxus posted:

We could all go back to private Freelancer servers and fly the same....

You had me at Freelancer

Freelancer Alpha 1 - 1 permission to change game is granted, please proceed to ctrl Q

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

captainclaw posted:

You had me at Freelancer

Freelancer Alpha 1 - 1 permission to change game is granted, please proceed to ctrl Q

I spent too many goddamn years doing mod development for that game you can't make me go back you can't make me I refuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
There's a lot of legitimate reasons to be a spaceships online doomer, but there are still some interesting nuggets. I haven't touched the game in a year or more now but I had a shitload of fun doing shady stuff in Pochven. The krab drama was dumb as gently caress but getting to roll around in blingy subcaps fighting over money geysers without the fear of getting hot dropped was amazing. It also opened up a ton of local politics, fights over the few remaining structures and was a nice staging ground to gently caress with most of the galaxy.

Between flashpoints, incursions and wormholes it blows my mind that CCP keeps accidentally stumbling closer and closer to a good PvE experience yet never seems to capitalize on it. From their point of view I can at least get why they would leave Pochven unfinished just because it's a ton of effort that can only support a few hundred players. On the other hand a few hundred players is now a pretty big chunk of the playerbase and they could totally find some way to adapt high value group PvE/P where you need to compete for the site into other parts of the game.

As for why this thread is always The Way It Is though, this game seems to be a magnet for the socially maladapted. I think it stems from "yes it's totally fine and cool to scam, look at all of our player intrigue stories about scamming and spying!" and having to do a PhD level of research to understand the intricacies of pressing orbit + F1. Despite all that I keep thinking about coming back every few months to shoot at whatever other sad weirdos are left.