Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I have no math and I must cream

Going to be hard to do batter than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Pictures of restaurant equipment fished out of a dumpster are all very well, but I want to see pictures of donuts made by the OP. Make some donuts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OP has already assured us that he made a single donut out of prepackaged dough and it came out delicious. This part of the research is done and was obviously quite successful. All that remains is buying equipment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Where are you located? I’ll buy a dozen donuts from you

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rationale posted:

Once there are 40-50 dozen sold every time the clock hits midnight we can begin to think about hiring counter staff

I think this is a much better idea. Maybe not for someone who has capital and a clear path, but for you trying to learn and build from a shoestring. If you fail, lower consequences. If things are working, you can build from there.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Epitope posted:

I think this is a much better idea. Maybe not for someone who has capital and a clear path, but for you trying to learn and build from a shoestring. If you fail, lower consequences. If things are working, you can build from there.

I’ll be honest I was getting excited for the catastrophe we all saw coming.

This is achievable and limits risk - so I for one oppose it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

I’ll be honest I was getting excited for the catastrophe we all saw coming.

This is achievable and limits risk - so I for one oppose it.

I'm not sure what you're all on about. This still requires setting up a commercial kitchen that passes building, fire and health inspections. And our protagonist is still absolutely 100% going to want to do this with the commercial gear setup from the other town's monoraildonut guy.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I’ve been building kitchens for ten years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rationale posted:

I’ve been building kitchens for ten years.

Yet are somehow baffled and offended by a code official wanting engineering signoff on blowing holes in structural masonry walls......

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Chafing under regulatory control over your operation, a rare quality in business owners

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
OP I am curious to know how your wife feels about this.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Started off with cake donuts; ended up razed

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Ohtori Akio posted:

OP I am curious to know how your wife feels about this.

She was giving me a lot of poo poo about it until I bought maybe 200 tennis balls and put them all through the house now she gives me poo poo about that instead

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Not trying to doxx, but was more just curious. I took a look at the streetview of the closed down pizzeria from your invoice and poked around the building's history, and honestly I'm amazed anyone ever tried to put a restaurant in that location in the first place. :lol:

How does your donut shop's location compare, in terms of density/traffic, to that pizzeria? I don't think you could run a successful anything out of that pizzeria's location (maybe an ag store?) and if yours is comparable, Saint Dunkin himself couldn't keep the lights on in it.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Hey, we've been over this: knowing things is for losers, OP's got this on lock

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
https://imgur.com/a/X99lIDS

I’m not sure how to quantify my location vs pizza tits and Busch light but it’s a lot better. Like, there’s a stoplight by the store, I don’t think there was one within fifty miles of the pizza slut palace

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Rationale posted:

https://imgur.com/a/X99lIDS

I’m not sure how to quantify my location vs pizza tits and Busch light but it’s a lot better. Like, there’s a stoplight by the store, I don’t think there was one within fifty miles of the pizza slut palace

Have you researched why there are no competing businesses within 15 minutes of the location?

Do you have a plan for what you'll do if a Starbucks or a Dunkin opens across the street?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
A bakery actually opened back up nearby but it’s gonna have a
all the same problems the last people had with it.

If a global conglomerate sets up shop across the street I guess I’ll have no other choice than to gently caress Marsha Brady

Rationale fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 19, 2022

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rationale posted:

A bakery actually opened back up nearby but it’s gonna have a
all the same problems the last people had with it.
C'mon, dude, you gotta try harder than that while trolling.

Ok, kayfabe:

Pray tell, goon sir, what problems did it have? And why won't you have these problems?

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

Sundae posted:

Not trying to doxx, but was more just curious. I took a look at the streetview of the closed down pizzeria from your invoice and poked around the building's history, and honestly I'm amazed anyone ever tried to put a restaurant in that location in the first place. :lol:

How does your donut shop's location compare, in terms of density/traffic, to that pizzeria? I don't think you could run a successful anything out of that pizzeria's location (maybe an ag store?) and if yours is comparable, Saint Dunkin himself couldn't keep the lights on in it.

These are all excellent questions but I think another good one that should be considered is "Donuts are made for the morning, are you willing to wake up at 3-4am every morning to get your business running"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
All this talk about donuts and nothing about the coffee.

What's your coffee price point gonna be? I know the US is pretty infamous for the Starbucks overpriced coffee culture, but you're either competing with literal gas stations or those $6/cup hipster shops that import and roast their own beans. People want one or the other, it's not an interchangeable product experience.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i want to support the goon donut endeavor, where are you at donut man

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Admiralty Flag posted:

C'mon, dude, you gotta try harder than that while trolling.

Ok, kayfabe:

Pray tell, goon sir, what problems did it have? And why won't you have these problems?

I posted about this upthread

The lady that sold it told me she was getting out because she couldn’t stand donuts anymore.

She did everything herself by hand and sold out before ten most days.

The location doesn’t have any parking or a drive-through and it’s tucked away in the old downtown on a side street. The sort of people you see walking around downtown here aren’t the type you’d want in your store. This lady sold exclusively to the people who were driving by when there happened to be a parking spot and didn’t seem to want any more business than that.

Then beyond that the new owners aren’t as crafty as she was. They keep posting the ugliest goddamn confectionery on their Facebook . Today it was chocolate cupcakes where the icing wasn’t stiff enough so it sagged and looked like dog turds with sprinkles. They’ve posted cakes that look like they were made by a single mother of three who forgot all about the birthday. I’m not even gonna try to hire these folks when they go under.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rationale posted:

The sort of people you see walking around downtown here aren’t the type you’d want in your store.

You're going to need to explain this because it's coming off as seriously racist or classist.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

pentyne posted:

You're going to need to explain this because it's coming off as seriously racist or classist.

Rationale posted:

pizza tits
pizza slut palace

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

pentyne posted:

Sirotan posted:

op I see your profile says you are in Ohio

pretty well explained if you ask me, who the heck is walking around Ohio on a sidewalk? they are probably zombies.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Wow. Just because they shamble around endlessly wishing they had brains, that doesn't mean Ohioans aren't people too

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

pentyne posted:

All this talk about donuts and nothing about the coffee.

What's your coffee price point gonna be? I know the US is pretty infamous for the Starbucks overpriced coffee culture, but you're either competing with literal gas stations or those $6/cup hipster shops that import and roast their own beans. People want one or the other, it's not an interchangeable product experience.

I’m just about certain that I’ll use a local roaster for the beans. His product is good and his prices are okay.

I’d like to set the price of a 16oz latte at $3 just so a fiver gets you a nice coffee and a fancy donut.

Then I think I’ll also sell some stuff dirt cheap for the people like dollar drip, dollar raised glazed, loss leaders I think they’re called. I want people to come by every day and not just on payday.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

UnleashedDad posted:

These are all excellent questions but I think another good one that should be considered is "Donuts are made for the morning, are you willing to wake up at 3-4am every morning to get your business running"

I was thinking closer to 1am or so and yeah my lifestyle is bad right now.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
No thanks, I don’t need to deposit my paycheck - i’m taking the cash straight to the donut shop

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

You’re right I’ll do better

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i want to support the goon donut endeavor, where are you at donut man

I’ll hit you up once the kitchen gets a certificate and you can consult for me

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

a.p. dent posted:

No thanks, I don’t need to deposit my paycheck - i’m taking the cash straight to the donut shop

The average household income in town is 41,000.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

a.p. dent posted:

There's another brilliant revenue stream. Coffee, Donuts & Check Cashing.

Rationale posted:

The average household income in town is 41,000.

What a great area to start a business. If only there were some way to estimate what impacts that kind of thing would have and whether it's viable to operate a business of this type in such a place. But unfortunately only loving nerds know how to do that stuff so you better just send it and see what happens.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

name it triple D donuts in honor of the titty chairs. maybe it’ll summon Guy Fieri to bless your business

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rationale posted:

I’ll hit you up once the kitchen gets a certificate and you can consult for me

i don't know poo poo about the donut business but sure sounds good

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My racist cousin lives in Columbus. He's a kitchen manager too. We had some good road trips, need an excuse to get the band back together

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Sluts and their donut holes

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

OP what are you calling your donut emporium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Motronic posted:

There's another brilliant revenue stream. Coffee, Donuts & Check Cashing.

What a great area to start a business. If only there were some way to estimate what impacts that kind of thing would have and whether it's viable to operate a business of this type in such a place. But unfortunately only loving nerds know how to do that stuff so you better just send it and see what happens.

Some other dick said

“$75K is not enough to start even a small donut shop. Two or three pieces of equipment break, and that money could be eaten up by replacements/repairs, plus restaurant equipment is expensive, even second-hand stuff. You're not going to be able to get everything on sale, either. Have you at least perused a couple equipment websites to get an idea of what you need and what it'll cost? What size mixer are you going to use? You can't use a tabletop stand mixer, you're making 15lbs of mix, minimum, before adding water.”

So I went and got a commercial mixer at an astonishing discount and dude’s still acting like I’m not…serious enough? I don’t know. Maybe focus less on my disdain for your “go take some classes about it” vibe and more on the advice that I am taking from goons and implementing in the real world.

What you guys present as fatal flaws are what I call “challenges” that can be “overcome”.