Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Indecisive posted:

Epics aren't tradable but often the major items needed for them are, for example you can buy the pipes for the monk epic.. still need to go do all the fights n stuff tho

Wasn't the monk epic MQable at the very end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

RCarr posted:

Yelinak question

Why is it that it seems like grouping completely died like a month into Kunark? Before that I could put an LFG tag up on my Shaman and I’d get at least 5 invites within 10 mins or so.

After that I have had an LFG tag up for dozens of hours and maybe gotten a handful of invites.

Is it just everyone at this point is strictly boxing?

The trend I’ve noticed in the xpacs is that when a new level expansion opens up there is a rush of activity to hit level cap, wrap up progression and then the expansion will settle into a farming grind. Most players who are focusing on one or two characters will have wrapped up their to do list by this point. If they raid they are largely raid logging. What grouping scene there is will be populated by returning players and alts.

The people who are always on and always grinding are likely boxers. Which lends itself to being anti social or in clique of like minded boxers, which can be difficult to break into. I try to be more social earlier in expansion launches but I notice there is a trend for people to settle into boxing duos where two people can get their main, their box/co and their utility box up to speed at the same time. And people are loathe to leave out a box that they’ll have to catch up later. Even when you want to group it can be hard to find a good spot.

The inbetween xpacs don’t really alleviate this much, there is stuff to work on but it’s not pick up grouping for the most part. It’ll be particularly irksome when you enter into no AA expansions with maxed banked AAs.

As mentioned this will lighten up in Luclin somewhat but not as much as you’d think. There are AAs to earn but not a lot of great XP options that open with luclin. The meta will still be Velks IC/OC but now with Grieg’s End, which you’ll spend so much time in.

The next Good Time for pickup grouping will be Planes of Power, for the short time before the meta settles into PoFire charm groups only. From there, to be honest, pick up groups are a strained experience. I remember some Pugging in LDoN but many quickly realize they don’t want to do 365 of those and you’ll be on your own to finish your charm Aug if you don’t manage to wrap it up during the initial rush (and that’s a lot of grinding, like 10 people will want to do that in PUGs the other 30-40 will work up dedicated grind teams). Around this time splitpaw will open up, and will become the focus of pick up grouping. I find splitpaw revamp miserable but if you want to group that’s where you’ll go.

The issue you’ll run into is that xp becomes trivial, ESPECIALLY in a world with xp pots and xp bonus events, Lesson of the Devoted, etc etc. If you aren’t just raid logging you will hit your level cap fast and max your AAs quickly. Often times while working on your progression and other quests. You won’t need or want a group unless you’re working on an alt and a lot of times those just get power leveled so they’ll only be grouping at max level or close to. People will do short groups for their lesson burns but that group experience is different. A 30 minute min/max blitz vs the more drawn out xp grinding you see in earlier eras.

This shift in the grouping experience is a big reason a lot of people tell me that they abandon servers once they age and recycle on the new TLPs

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Kalas posted:

Wasn't the monk epic MQable at the very end?

Monk epic is fully MQable on regular servers even. Seller can do robe quest for half the final turnin, do the final fight in loio -> sell LR of fangs to buyer.

Seller would just need an enc team to kill for the red robe then grind the pipes in Kunark, (oh yeah and ae pull skyfire for an immortals book) you could get super lucky on RNG and absolutely do it all in an afternoon.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 30, 2022

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So what's the prices on Mischief for gear in terms of krono? For example, how far would 10 Kr get me in tweaking a monk then upgrading it at lvl 70

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I bet the strong no level req twink gear is vastly more expensive than Plane of Time or Txevu equivalent 65 req raid gear.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah low level twink gear without rec/req is more expensive, but I think for 10kr you're gonna go far, kr to plat prices are like 500kish right now. all gear pre-DODH is about to drop in price (other than afforementioned twink gear) because they're doing half lockouts so you could get anguish etc gear for really cheap coming up (cheaper than it already is).

You can definitely gear out your monk in GoD/OoW/DoN raid gear and a PL to 70 for 10kr

Hell, I can probably GIVE you a bunch of gear that is worth less than 10k a piece and is like T2 raid gear (250-280hp/mana etc)

There's also a lot of T2/T3 gear up on the bazaar for 1pp so yeah.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 30, 2022

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Also in two weeks a ton of the DoDH mission gear is probably gonna go straight to baz. While it’s fine for catching up alts neither of my raiding toons needed any of it off the bat and I imagine that’ll be the case for everyone on mischief that does progression. Lot of middling non visible pieces. Anguish stuff probably better and cheap but if you want even cheaper. Save the Kronos for like last bloods and start getting on the cultural train, those will carry well into TSS.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

RCarr posted:

Yelinak question

Why is it that it seems like grouping completely died like a month into Kunark? Before that I could put an LFG tag up on my Shaman and I’d get at least 5 invites within 10 mins or so.

After that I have had an LFG tag up for dozens of hours and maybe gotten a handful of invites.

Is it just everyone at this point is strictly boxing?

I didn't see it mentioned but there was a large population drop half way into Kunark. It picked back up a bit in Velious but still pretty low. If you want to LFG, I would suggest waiting for the next EXP Bonus weekend, which I believe is coming up near the end of October.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm semi interested in Velious to just see the raids but my fav way to play EQ is group leveling and dungeon crawling so I'm going to probably just do the minimal amount of raid logging required until than.

I did like leveling I'm Velious back in the day but now that since i hit level cap the week Lunark dropped and burnt out doing VP (never again) im not really interested in dragging an alt all the way up :effort:

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Waroduce posted:

I'm semi interested in Velious to just see the raids but my fav way to play EQ is group leveling and dungeon crawling so I'm going to probably just do the minimal amount of raid logging required until than.

I did like leveling I'm Velious back in the day but now that since i hit level cap the week Lunark dropped and burnt out doing VP (never again) im not really interested in dragging an alt all the way up :effort:

They've fixed almost every post VP key. They made the VP key unable to be easily blocked, but dear lord that quest. They even fixed the VT key which was such a block its not funny.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

sad there won’t be horror stories about VT keying to enjoy anymore. It really wasn’t on the same level of garbage as VP keying, but it definitely rewarded toxic behavior. There were people in my guild that I swear mained wizard just so they could harvest rage from people by mana burning their ME shard named. FG was the absolute worst in my opinion. The low % drop and very limited number of spawns made it miserable even with no competition.

well there’s always ssra keys to wring some drama posts out of. That’s one camp where you really see how powerful and widespread Show EQ is.

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo
so after like a decade or so of not playing and the OP being a really good breakdown of things I decided to hop back in and see how EQ is these days. Are goons still mainly on Luclin? Are there any of the time locked servers that are in a good place? I have no idea what 'era' the various ones are on.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Dumpmaster General posted:

so after like a decade or so of not playing and the OP being a really good breakdown of things I decided to hop back in and see how EQ is these days. Are goons still mainly on Luclin? Are there any of the time locked servers that are in a good place? I have no idea what 'era' the various ones are on.

Goons are scattered to the wind these days.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Progression_Servers

There are all the servers. I'm currently on Yelinak, halfway through Velious at the moment and my guild has cleared all content except a full run of ST, which we are doing this weekend I believe.

I believe there is an XP bonus coming up in a week or two for servers, so now would be a good time to get in because a lot of people and groups start up again at lower levels.

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo
Sweet, good timing then, just gotta figure out where to go and what to do then…back in the ancient days I was an ogre shadow knight, maybe I’ll just redo that

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've been scratching the classic EQ itch on Project 1999, but I need a bit of a break from the classic grind, so I installed this and fired up a Beastlord on Luclin. Just bumming around Crescent Reach and loving around with all the QoL stuff they've added over the years. This is pretty wild!

It amazes me how they're still using the original '99 engine and and can get some pretty decent looking environments and models out of it.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

On the original release run throughs I fell off mid Planes of Power and I think LDoN came out my first semester of college. I dipped in once briefly after SoF and then probably not again until after TLP's were in their full florescence. And I never saw end game PoP either so I missed what was the beginning of the process of the QoL improvements that started there in PoP end game with the first instanced zone. The long chain of improvements that started there are obviously what turned off a lot of the purists but as someone still engaging with the game daily on a TLP its hard to look askance at the changes, they've made the game a lot better.

I'll just take one example, the bazaar. There is a certain charm to EC tunnel and its fun for like a day whenever I go back to a new TLP launch but it quickly becomes tedious. No one likes staring at chat spam or having to respam your listings. There are sites and tools that scrub data and present it to people so they can avoid this. Being able to setup a merchant and log off is so much better than having to sit in tunnel to chase customers. I can't imagine wanting to be hitched to the old way, and yet, P99 thrives in its own scene w/o bazaar.

If you want to grind there are ways in which its more rewarding/engaging/enjoyable to do so. And if you don't, the game has been balanced p much around being able to raid log and still engage with the game from beginning to end. Which many grinders might bemoan but especially now that we're all older and have lives competing and conflicting with in game time, its obvious why so many find that appealing. I like logging into norrath every day but most gamers don't and its nice to see the more casual types logging in over the long haul and still being able to contribute. Thats less feasible in the old style more austere EQ worlds.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 19, 2022

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yiggy posted:

On the original release run throughs I fell off mid Planes of Power and I think LDoN came out my first semester of college. I dipped in once briefly after SoF and then probably not again until after TLP's were in their full florescence. And I never saw end game PoP either so I missed what was the beginning of the process of the QoL improvements that started there in PoP end game with the first instanced zone. The long chain of improvements that started there are obviously what turned off a lot of the purists but as someone still engaging with the game daily on a TLP its hard to look askance at the changes, they've made the game a lot better.

I'll just take one example, the bazaar. There is a certain charm to EC tunnel and its fun for like a day whenever I go back to a new TLP launch but it quickly becomes tedious. No one likes staring at chat spam or having to respam your listings. There are sites and tools that scrub data and present it to people so they can avoid this. Being able to setup a merchant and log off is so much better than having to sit in tunnel to chase customers. I can't imagine wanting to be hitched to the old way, and yet, P99 thrives in its own scene w/o bazaar.

If you want to grind there are ways in which its more rewarding/engaging/enjoyable to do so. And if you don't, the game has been balanced p much around being able to raid log and still engage with the game from beginning to end. Which many grinders might bemoan but especially now that we're all older and have lives competing and conflicting with in game time, its obvious why so many find that appealing. I like logging into norrath every day but most gamers don't and its nice to see the more casual types logging in over the long haul and still being able to contribute. Thats less feasible in the old style more austere EQ worlds.

I actually remember checking out the bazaar when that first went live in 2001 with Luclin... and my PC at the time ran at about 0.5 fps because it simply couldn't render all the hundreds of bazaar characters. :gonk: I think I had to turn the clip plane down to the minimum setting and then toggle to the top-down view to get any usability out of that zone. I was able to quickly buy some great starter gear for just a handful of plat once I finally got that settled.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

I actually remember checking out the bazaar when that first went live in 2001 with Luclin... and my PC at the time ran at about 0.5 fps because it simply couldn't render all the hundreds of bazaar characters. :gonk: I think I had to turn the clip plane down to the minimum setting and then toggle to the top-down view to get any usability out of that zone.

Yeah its funny how thats flipped. Back then it was the struggle to build and push a machine that could handle that, and now adays its like, whats the cheapest hunk of poo poo I can run this game on to fold into a setup, and the floor is pretty low.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Yiggy posted:

Yeah its funny how thats flipped. Back then it was the struggle to build and push a machine that could handle that, and now adays its like, whats the cheapest hunk of poo poo I can run this game on to fold into a setup, and the floor is pretty low.

I played it on a computer in a USB stick form factor that I bought off Amazon for $37.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
I think the problem with Commonlands is just the volume of goods.

Classic you only have a few key tradeable items and a bunch of random stuff. By Luclin your dealing with 4 xpacs of stuff, 4x the world, and just getting places can now take much longer.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

DizzyBum posted:

I actually remember checking out the bazaar when that first went live in 2001 with Luclin... and my PC at the time ran at about 0.5 fps because it simply couldn't render all the hundreds of bazaar characters. :gonk: I think I had to turn the clip plane down to the minimum setting and then toggle to the top-down view to get any usability out of that zone.

The majority of my experience raiding in those days involved me staring down at the floor and not getting to actually see mobs like The Avatar of War because of the performance issues you highlighted.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I was always the puller and I remember having to look down before turning that last corner back into camp. Or backing up to it. Otherwise, suddenly I’m zoning back to my bind point.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Finding out what boss (and basically any other) spell effects look like 10-15 years later because you had to play with spell effects density set to 0 for the entire time though I dont recall the spell effects in EQ being much more then floating sparkles

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Finding out what boss (and basically any other) spell effects look like 10-15 years later because you had to play with spell effects density set to 0 for the entire time though I dont recall the spell effects in EQ being much more then floating sparkles

My computer was decent, but a Mass Group Buff landing on a big group in a public area always brought out the stuttering. I liked the big swirly enchanter effect on the high powered Clarity variants.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I leave it all turned on now and sometimes its hard to see the cursor, gotta turn away from the blinding light.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

i leave em turned off b/c they arent the same spell effects that they used to be so i have no nostalgia for em

nopants
May 29, 2004
anybody got a glowing black stone for trade or sale?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Sure meet at 2nd torch

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

I just started on Mischief and couldn't believe how fast the xp was coming. Apparently this is triple XP week due to some charity fundraising goals. I can't see the official eq site at work but reddit claims:

200% bonus XP
175% faster rare spawns
125% more loot
100% more coins

November 8th to 15th

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Aades posted:

I just started on Mischief and couldn't believe how fast the xp was coming. Apparently this is triple XP week due to some charity fundraising goals. I can't see the official eq site at work but reddit claims:

200% bonus XP
175% faster rare spawns
125% more loot
100% more coins

November 8th to 15th

The loot thing is hilarious on Mischief.. you will see 10-12 drops off mobs combined with mischief's random loot. Real good time to start.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah it's amazing, our small man (4 actual people) did kessadona, bloodeye, 2x shyra and council of the 9 last night and walked away with 68 pieces of loot; that's a normal raid night for our guild. Took us an hour to sort all that crap out between the 4 of us.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
Took Velious off on Yelinak and just hopped back in. Is this good advice on enchanter AA and focus priorities: https://www.eqprogression.com/enchanter-101-basics/? Just finished my emp key but my gear is all kunark era for the most part. If anyone has some cost effective upgrades that I could pursue in the bazaar I'd love the cheat sheet!

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Porterhaus posted:

Took Velious off on Yelinak and just hopped back in. Is this good advice on enchanter AA and focus priorities: https://www.eqprogression.com/enchanter-101-basics/? Just finished my emp key but my gear is all kunark era for the most part. If anyone has some cost effective upgrades that I could pursue in the bazaar I'd love the cheat sheet!

I think people like mgb and gather mana for rebuffing after wipes and AOE groups. People on aradune were down bad on dire charm, but I feel like that could be real brain dead easy exp.

E: spelling

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 13, 2022

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

From what I remember Dire Charm is trash.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

RCarr posted:

From what I remember Dire Charm is trash.

From an old enchanter, Dire charm was good for a few raids where they give us mobs in the DC cap and everything else was uncharmable. NTOV, Plane of Innovation and a few others I am aware of fall into this. In raids keeping this mob alive is a pain but its something.

In groups its fun if your slumming lower zones for something and after a while out of era mobs get added that destroy zones.

For the most part its not giving more then 2% or 3% of raid damage in era.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I usually go Spell Casting Mastery, then Spell Casting Reinforcement. Then probably two or three ranks of Quick Buff depending on how much spell haste I have from items, since it’s capped at 50% anyway.

Defensives (agility, stability and durability) come after those for me. If you solo a lot then they’re probably worth getting right after Mastery. If you’re raiding get MGB and Mental Clarity/Gather Mana before defensives.

For items there’s a huge amount of dirt cheap stuff from Grieg’s End/The Deep nameds that gets so overfarmed that people can’t give it away. Mantle of Distraction, Pantaloons of Derangement, Ruby Ring of Darkglow are the ones I remember off hand. I think if you search on the bazaar and set the minimum level to 30 or 40 it will show this recommended level stuff that Luclin adds. Most of it is very cheap since it’s not great for twinks.

Also look into Mage summoned focus gear. Extended buff is on shoulder, spell haste on ring, nuke/dot mana preservation on ear. Increased nuke/dot damage are on separate wrist items. You can keep a set of this gear in perpetuity if you set your enchanter up as a offline trader when you log out.

I just wore the summoned gear full time on my non raiding enchanter and it works perfectly. You just want to get a Obulus Death Shroud for mana preservation that works on all spells, and then an Amulet of Insight to cover extended buffs. Both are easy to farm solo as an enchanter: the death shroud by mass killing in Sebilis (low % drop and can take many hours) and the amulet from pulling an Icewell Keep instance and doing some shenanigans to get a charm pet from the well to kill Kaavin.

e: just remembered the ssra emp key is a really decent ring with enhancement haste on it, so just one rank of Quick Buff puts you near the 50% cap.

Solarin fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 13, 2022

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

Solarin posted:

I usually go Spell Casting Mastery, then Spell Casting Reinforcement. Then probably two or three ranks of Quick Buff depending on how much spell haste I have from items, since it’s capped at 50% anyway.

Defensives (agility, stability and durability) come after those for me. If you solo a lot then they’re probably worth getting right after Mastery. If you’re raiding get MGB and Mental Clarity/Gather Mana before defensives.

For items there’s a huge amount of dirt cheap stuff from Grieg’s End/The Deep nameds that gets so overfarmed that people can’t give it away. Mantle of Distraction, Pantaloons of Derangement, Ruby Ring of Darkglow are the ones I remember off hand. I think if you search on the bazaar and set the minimum level to 30 or 40 it will show this recommended level stuff that Luclin adds. Most of it is very cheap since it’s not great for twinks.

Also look into Mage summoned focus gear. Extended buff is on shoulder, spell haste on ring, nuke/dot mana preservation on ear. Increased nuke/dot damage are on separate wrist items. You can keep a set of this gear in perpetuity if you set your enchanter up as a offline trader when you log out.

I just wore the summoned gear full time on my non raiding enchanter and it works perfectly. You just want to get a Obulus Death Shroud for mana preservation that works on all spells, and then an Amulet of Insight to cover extended buffs. Both are easy to farm solo as an enchanter: the death shroud by mass killing in Sebilis (low % drop and can take many hours) and the amulet from pulling an Icewell Keep instance and doing some shenanigans to get a charm pet from the well to kill Kaavin.

e: just remembered the ssra emp key is a really decent ring with enhancement haste on it, so just one rank of Quick Buff puts you near the 50% cap.

Thanks so much for this! I finished the emp ring last night and have the majority of my VT key done too so this gives me some great targets outside of raid time.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

if you’ll be raiding VT soon then you’ll be showered in gear as a caster. There’s a lot of high AC/HP/MP stuff that’s pretty free because it’s second/third best and caster only. In my guilds casters only woke up and bid on the top tier Aten/Seru/Ssra loot, and a few unique in Luclin focus effect items like Crown of Ambivalence.

Keep an eye out for Memory from Ssra cursed cycle and tell me if you can prove it exists. I’ve played on 3 TLPs at this point and have never seen it once.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

Solarin posted:

if you’ll be raiding VT soon then you’ll be showered in gear as a caster. There’s a lot of high AC/HP/MP stuff that’s pretty free because it’s second/third best and caster only. In my guilds casters only woke up and bid on the top tier Aten/Seru/Ssra loot, and a few unique in Luclin focus effect items like Crown of Ambivalence.

Keep an eye out for Memory from Ssra cursed cycle and tell me if you can prove it exists. I’ve played on 3 TLPs at this point and have never seen it once.

Will do! Been duoing without a healer. Should I pony up for a Fungus Covered Great Staff as an ENC looking to save on celestial healing pot costs? Looks like there is the Earring/Shroud of Vigor from VT for additional baby heals and Orb of Lost Souls for a mana free Rune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've been enjoying zoning out and just murdering stuff with my merc buddy over the last few weeks and doing these Hero's Journey quests. Crescent Reach is an interesting little world-within-a-world; it's like the devs tried to create a theme-park-styled MMO within a classic MMO.

How far can I expect to get in modern EQ as a F2P player? I'm mostly just interested in leveling and then exploring lots of older zones and murdering some classic raid bosses. Not looking to do endgame raiding at the moment.