Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
We should still take responsibility for our fuckups with the Hothi and the Kurds and etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Valid strategy or not, it decidedly makes the Iranians not our friends, and not any kind of honest brokers wrt peace. Anywhere.

We aren’t either, but we spend the big bucks to swing the big dick as we see fit.

Pretty crazy how the Iranians just randomly stopped being our friends in 2003 after an illegal invasion on our part....I wonder....oh.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_support_for_Iraq_during_the_Iran%E2%80%93Iraq_War
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/18/world/officers-say-us-aided-iraq-in-war-despite-use-of-gas.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/2002/12/30/us-had-key-role-in-iraq-buildup/133cec74-3816-4652-9bd8-7d118699d6f8/

:qq: But we spent so much money on our big military dick, the rabble aren't supposed to hit us back.:qq:

bulletsponge13 posted:

This is being disingenuous. Using this logic, we are bombing the Houthi and committing genocide around the world. Selling arms to a belligerent =/= being an active participant.

Again, Iran hasn't done poo poo that we haven't. They are playing the exact same game we are, but because they aren't America.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 19, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I mean it's possible that both American and Iranians do lovely stuff, and Americans doing lovely things doesn't excuse iranians supplying suicide drones to russia.

:shrug:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

I mean it's possible that both American and Iranians do lovely stuff, and Americans doing lovely things doesn't excuse iranians supplying suicide drones to russia.

I don't think anyone is arguing it's not, just the claim that somehow the Iranians are:

slurm posted:

Their present unprovoked terror bombing campaign right up to the NATO borders in western Ukraine is a little more than protecting their regional interests.

...and somehow intimately responsible versus doing lovely arms deals like every country has (see European companies helping Russia but I don't think anyone has yet asked for US troops to enter Paris).

Edit:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This phrasing is always funny, making it seem like a cruise missile is making a personal sacrifice or something. And coincidentally they're "suicide drones" when it's people we don't like using them, but "loitering munitions" when it's our partners.

Good point

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 19, 2022

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Defenestrategy posted:

suicide drones

This phrasing is always funny, making it seem like a cruise missile is making a personal sacrifice or something. And coincidentally they're "suicide drones" when it's people we don't like using them, but "loitering munitions" when it's our partners.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Hit quote/post instead of edit.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hell hath seen no whining like when the US gets the tiniest loving dose of it own medicine

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Theyre only loitering munitions from the loiter part of germany other wise its sparkling suicide drones.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZe5J8SVCYQ

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

That gasp for air at 0:43

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Its not Monday tho

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The proper phrase is "primitive command-guided cruise missile."

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Madurai posted:

The proper phrase is "primitive command-guided cruise missile."

Ah so it knows where it is by knowing where it isn't.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

There's been multiple attempts from both the US and Iran to normalize relations and end the current hostility. But whenever Iran tries to let down it's guard, the GOP immediately stabs the relatively moderate wing of the Iranian government. And whenever the US lets down it's guard, the IRGC does a terrorism. Sometimes, the IRGC does a terrorism explicitly against the orders of the non-Khamenei parts of the Iranian government. In summary, I doubt any normal relations between the US and Iran are possible until both the IRGC and the GOP are crippled.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

It would be less complicated if the missile had a drawn reciprocation dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal repleneration.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

Ah so it knows where it is by knowing where it isn't.

This is how I find my wife's phone.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Holy loving moly

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/nasa-s-webb-takes-star-filled-portrait-of-pillars-of-creation

https://twitter.com/ThePlanetaryGuy/status/1582749560497020930?t=Rvl3Xby1ppUsZzg6_epFhA&s=19

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

It's like a giant hand reaching through the cosmos.

Space is so awesome.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
MotherFUCKING WARN ME WHEN YOU POST THAT STUFF!
loving hell!

Sorry about that, its just that those images trigger my epilepsy and cost me up to 7 hours of my life.
And I kinda got poo poo to do setting up a conference thing with people today.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

No poo poo, static images can trigger epilepsy?

TIL.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
All the talk of whether nukes will be used did make me briefly look at the cost of flights to NZ but I think I'd rather embrace the holy atom than spend 30 hours on a plane.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Yup and it bloody sucks too.
Took me 3 minutes to read those 8 words you wrote.

Brain just went from highway speeds to full stop in a second flat.
Can't words rightnow. Have a link to last time I had this problem.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987999&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post524789802

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Sorry about the outburst there.
I'm just so loving tired.
This poo poo always comes out of goddamn nowhere and it always hits like a loving freight train.
There's a statistic out there saying that 30% of all epileptics are or have been depressed.
My initial reaction to that?
"Bullshit, there's no way that number is so low."

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Most browsers have content settings that let you set which sites can load images. I would guess most people are ignorant on what static images would even be problematic for an epileptic, might be safer that way.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

SerthVarnee posted:

Yup and it bloody sucks too.
Took me 3 minutes to read those 8 words you wrote.

Brain just went from highway speeds to full stop in a second flat.
Can't words rightnow. Have a link to last time I had this problem.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987999&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post524789802

Thanks for sharing :(
On nuclear weapons, don't go to nz if you're in the Western hemisphere. Better odds with rural South America, away from metropolitan areas. Vast areas with low population makes for bad targets and lessens contamination risks. Incredible unfertilized crop yields. Some places don't even hate yankees entirely!

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Yeah, dude, the app can default block images in settings. Maybe that will help.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/PirateSkyProd/status/1582820789203582977?s=20&t=6wE-4DZ3EJgHHliXnv1Ybg

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Holy crap, sorry dude I had no idea about static images causing issues, I'd never heard of that before. I just wanted to share the awesome JWST image

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Yeah, dude, the app can default block images in settings. Maybe that will help.

Yeah that sounds like it's probably the best solution. That or staying off the internet cause this poo poo is going to keep getting posted all over the place due to the unique beauty of it if nothing else.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
drat i had no idea about static images triggering that poo poo either, sucks dude :( .

That photo is mindblowing though, holy poo poo that new telescope is incredible. PS what is that cluster of 4 really bright stars in the middle-ish of the image?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Things seem to be going well in the UK

https://twitter.com/notinaboyband/status/1582843224132972544?cxt=HHwWgMCj2dXhsfcrAAAA

https://twitter.com/Devon_OnEarth/status/1582815866340900864?cxt=HHwWgIDQoZ6ppfcrAAAA

It's looking like that head of cabbage is going to beat out Truss.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

This is some loving Monty Python level poo poo thank you.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I have two questions:

1. Does the BBC have the equivalent of CNN's apocalyptic "Nearer My God To Thee" tape that is only to be played at the end of the world?

2. If so, is it the Benny Hill theme?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Watching England collapse is like some kinda low-grade reparations thanks for being so loving hilarious in decline y'all

A.o.D. posted:

I have two questions:

1. Does the BBC have the equivalent of CNN's apocalyptic "Nearer My God To Thee" tape that is only to be played at the end of the world?

2. If so, is it the Benny Hill theme?

I think about this movie a lot post-bojo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhNJx14sdRg

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The Truss government is conservative ideology in a nutshell and what happens when its implemented with no checks.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Wasabi the J posted:

This is some loving Monty Python level poo poo thank you.

Supposedly Jacob Rees-Mogg was seen manhandling a crying Tory MP back into Parliament which is about a close to a Monty Python skit come to life as you can get.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Holy crap, sorry dude I had no idea about static images causing issues, I'd never heard of that before. I just wanted to share the awesome JWST image

Its fine, no hard feelings.
You had no expectations of and no way of knowing this would harm me in any way so I have an easy time forgiving you.
I only use the pc version of somethingawful since I don't use smartphones those have tried to kill epileptics before so I don't think the awful app settings will do much for me. Am I wrong?
The problem is that I could isolate myself entirely and wrap myself up in a bubble, but there are triggers literally everywhere, so I'd have to put myself into something like tripple covid lockdown to be reasonably sure that I won't run into another trigger.

Its easier for me to attempt to change the world by asking nicely than it is for me to stop using my pc, stop going through nature parks, stop riding public transportation, not use a smartphone and not be near fluorescent lights. And those examples are just from this month alone.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SerthVarnee posted:

Its fine, no hard feelings.
You had no expectations of and no way of knowing this would harm me in any way so I have an easy time forgiving you.
I only use the pc version of somethingawful since I don't use smartphones those have tried to kill epileptics before so I don't think the awful app settings will do much for me. Am I wrong?
The problem is that I could isolate myself entirely and wrap myself up in a bubble, but there are triggers literally everywhere, so I'd have to put myself into something like tripple covid lockdown to be reasonably sure that I won't run into another trigger.

Its easier for me to attempt to change the world by asking nicely than it is for me to stop using my pc, stop going through nature parks, stop riding public transportation, not use a smartphone and not be near fluorescent lights. And those examples are just from this month alone.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever partaken of what the kids these days call “Marijuana?”

I ask because I know a few epileptics that swear by THC. One is the only living person alive with his disorder (He sorta has two faces and like 1.5 brains. I’m describing it poorly, but yeah only person alive with it, and his mom, my friend, took his seizures from hundreds a day to occasional with high THC tincture)

Even if it does nothing for your epilepsy smoke weed anyway. Life’s better that way.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Nah the only drugs I'm on are the ones the psychiatry folks put me on.
Denmark and Sweden have a different scene when it comes to THC (I think anyways. It has never even been in my orbit)

Btw, while I'm absolutely fine with being described as an epileptic, a fuckton of other people with epilepsy will have PTSD flashbacks if you use that word on them instead of "people/person with epilepsy".
They fought long and hard to get accepted as people instead of just epileptics and they do not appreciate the callback to the olden days.
I never had any stigma associated with the word so I'm fine with it.
Others remember getting locked away in old school institutions and being tortured with electricity by "doctors" and "experts".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Defenestrategy posted:

states do things that don't have moral high ground all the time. the US supplying arms to the Saudis for use against Yemen is just a particularly poignant example

realpolitik wise, why wouldn't Iran sell arms to Russia? they make money and curry favor with a country that has (or at least historically has had) outsize influence with a number of states in Iran's immediate neighborhood. they maybe kinda piss off US and allies (not really anything new there) and Ukraine (why would they care?). they're not going to die and go to nation state hell for their moral failure providing material assistance to an aggressor and the US wasn't going to lift sanctions if they didn't. if the US was going to throw away future negotiations because Iran sold arms to Russia, of all things, it probably wasn't really looking to negotiate in the first place