Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's a very small damage nerf for Genji, does it change a break point on his combo or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jack B Nimble posted:

That's a very small damage nerf for Genji, does it change a break point on his combo or something?

the ammo reduction fucks with his sustain too tho

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Sure make the strong characters less fun instead of the weak characters better. Sombra is dumpstered lol. Zaria will melt now too.

Orissa/Sigma will take Zarya/D.va spots, Soj will be the clear best DPS.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Glad I got my fun in comp while I could with Sombra and Zarya lol.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Man I hate how often reflect is up. Genji is next to unkillable and impossible for back liners to duel.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Didn't they end up tuning it up to 40% because Sombra was kind of bad when it was lower after being introduced?

headcase posted:

Man I hate how often reflect is up. Genji is next to unkillable and impossible for back liners to duel.

Lucio and Mercy's weapons should be undeflectable (Lucio because it's sound and Mercy because he loves her too much to deflect her bullets).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Rick posted:

Didn't they end up tuning it up to 40% because Sombra was kind of bad when it was lower after being introduced?

Sombra should be bad, her kit is inherently unfun to play against.

Having to hit ridiculous headshots against a character who doesn't (if you're even a character that has that in their kit) or die because outside of organised play, you're not gonna get the protection you need, isn't particularly healthy for the game. Other games have these characters and they're always briefly strong, then everyone goes "oh yeah this loving sucks", the character gets nerfed into the ground and everyone just kinda quietly forgets they existed.

I say this after playing a bunch of games where depending on what team was losing, they'd swap someone to sombra and immediately start snowballing fights.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

yo, can someone drop me some quick absolute noob tips for Lucio or Junkrat before I go do my ranked placements. I played about 15 hours of overwatch 1 when it first came out. I stopped around when Doomfist was added I think so a lot has changed.

I like Lucio because I prefer the aoe healing rather than focusing on team mates directly, and that let's me do sick wall-rides and shoot a bunch. Obviously all my team mates suck as much as me at the moment so I'm finding it hard to make a difference when no one will stick together. Find myself getting taken out by enemy dps because everyone has wandered off separately and they've got me 1 on 1.

With Junkrat I've been finding a bit of success with holding the enemy team back at chokepoints and getting kills on them while staying safe. I use the mines a lot both for jumping around and for getting a finishing hit on an enemy. What else should I be doing? I'm not great with putting my trap in good places either.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

yo, can someone drop me some quick absolute noob tips for Lucio or Junkrat before I go do my ranked placements. I played about 15 hours of overwatch 1 when it first came out. I stopped around when Doomfist was added I think so a lot has changed.

I like Lucio because I prefer the aoe healing rather than focusing on team mates directly, and that let's me do sick wall-rides and shoot a bunch. Obviously all my team mates suck as much as me at the moment so I'm finding it hard to make a difference when no one will stick together. Find myself getting taken out by enemy dps because everyone has wandered off separately and they've got me 1 on 1.

With Junkrat I've been finding a bit of success with holding the enemy team back at chokepoints and getting kills on them while staying safe. I use the mines a lot both for jumping around and for getting a finishing hit on an enemy. What else should I be doing? I'm not great with putting my trap in good places either.

i've had a lot of success with junkrat in ow2 and a lot of it has just been learning to turn ahead of where someone is running to fire at where they're going to be and just throwing the trap out in the middle of brawls and lol'ing at enemies who step in them

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Rick posted:

Iirc, it didn't used to buff her damage against you at all.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

grieving for Gandalf posted:

i've had a lot of success with junkrat in ow2 and a lot of it has just been learning to turn ahead of where someone is running to fire at where they're going to be and just throwing the trap out in the middle of brawls and lol'ing at enemies who step in them

Since I've played so little a lot of my games so far have been completely one sided either way. Sometimes I'm doing what you said and just going about lobbing perfect nades into the path of people who run like bots. But other times they're way more unpredictable and their team is just smashing us overall. I'm guessing I'll need to get my mmr up a lot more until games get less lopsided like that as well.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Oh yeah the battlepass is absolute garbage as well lol. I don't care about the cosmetics thankfully because it's an absolute rip off.

My only other experience of a battle pass in in Rocket League, which I've played almost 1000 hours of since it came out. I bought the pass once for a tenner and it gives you enough currency to buy the next one easily. I only play about 3 or 4 hours or rocket league a week these days and still make enough every time. All the challenges are just stuff that happens as well so you don't have to change how you're playing to get xp and poo poo.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Since I've played so little a lot of my games so far have been completely one sided either way. Sometimes I'm doing what you said and just going about lobbing perfect nades into the path of people who run like bots. But other times they're way more unpredictable and their team is just smashing us overall. I'm guessing I'll need to get my mmr up a lot more until games get less lopsided like that as well.

i used to hate playing against junk and finally decided if i can't beat them, i'd join them, so i started forcing him and the more i've played, the better my accuracy with bombs and mine has become. just keep playing

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lucio: too many players sit in heal song 90%+ when speed lets you and your team avoid damage entirely and push more agresssively. Boop isn't just defensive, a forward one can enable picks on characters without an escape and it does damage itself. Don't be afraid to chase down low health people because your gun/boop combo does solid damage and can finish off most. Learn to wallride backwards. Mostly fight from above unless you have a shield to stay safe behind. Bind mouse wheel to jump and spin away to get your max speed up as fast as possible from consecutive wall jumps (you can do it with just spacebar but it's tiring on the thumb). Save boost for a time where speed will enable your team to live or kill, or health will save someone the other healer can't. Always be shooting. If you don't have a target, hit a shield or a fire lane with suppressive fire.

Junkrat: You mostly have it from the sound of it, so some of this is redundant: Trap is a death sentence. It has a long throw now. Use it defensively if they enemy team has flankers or throw it at corners and hidden spots if not. Always keep a mine ready for escape or to secure a kill, and don't be afraid to spam two out on a close target for easier to hit damage than your nades. Same as Lucio, always be firing either into the enemy line or down a lane. With well angled nade spam you can keep anything but a tank out of there indefinitely. Try to fight from above or even out of sight with angles. Same with tire, it's harder for teams to find and kill if you drop it from above from a short distance.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Bottom Liner posted:

Lucio: too many players sit in heal song 90%+ when speed lets you and your team avoid damage entirely and push more agresssively. Boop isn't just defensive, a forward one can enable picks on characters without an escape and it does damage itself. Don't be afraid to chase down low health people because your gun/boop combo does solid damage and can finish off most. Learn to wallride backwards. Mostly fight from above unless you have a shield to stay safe behind. Bind mouse wheel to jump and spin away to get your max speed up as fast as possible from consecutive wall jumps (you can do it with just spacebar but it's tiring on the thumb). Save boost for a time where speed will enable your team to live or kill, or health will save someone the other healer can't. Always be shooting. If you don't have a target, hit a shield or a fire lane with suppressive fire.

Junkrat: You mostly have it from the sound of it, so some of this is redundant: Trap is a death sentence. It has a long throw now. Use it defensively if they enemy team has flankers or throw it at corners and hidden spots if not. Always keep a mine ready for escape or to secure a kill, and don't be afraid to spam two out on a close target for easier to hit damage than your nades. Same as Lucio, always be firing either into the enemy line or down a lane. With well angled nade spam you can keep anything but a tank out of there indefinitely. Try to fight from above or even out of sight with angles. Same with tire, it's harder for teams to find and kill if you drop it from above from a short distance.

This is good stuff cheers! Especially the lucio advice, I definitely Stay in heal too much so will try this stuff out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dogstile posted:

Sombra should be bad, her kit is inherently unfun to play against.

Non argument here.

Bleck posted:

I think that's right.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bleck posted:

but the hack was way longer (5 seconds)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

headcase posted:

Torb does pretty good tank damage, can stay out of sight, and helps the back line for free with an aimbot. Not too surprised.

He's also been disabled in ranked for most of the game's release though. Makes me wonder if his bug abuse factored into the top 500 placement. Not necessarily but possible yeah?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

it's 1 more shuriken to kill a 200 hp squishy if the damage is all shurikens

adding a dash or dash+melee still kills in the same number of shurikens, although it's still pretty relevant if the target gets any chip healing (e.g. soldier healing field)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks, I don't play Genji so I don't, like, have his combo internalized or anything.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I don't play genji cuz I'm not a BITCH

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It's incredible how a match turns around when someone switches to sombra and keeps jumping me.

Well eat poo poo, then it becomes brig time.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Don't stress too much about getting ready for placements, it's unlikely you're going to change your first rank significantly from your performance. I.e., another day or two of quick play practice isn't going to result in a massive improvement in how good you are at comp. Play comp, play it often, and try to always think about how you're messing up and possible things to try to correct that.

Two big things for starting comp is to a) focus on not throwing your life away especially before an engagement or early in an engagement. This is especially true as support. In lower ranks, just staying alive as support can go a long way. And b) try to make sure you're not trickling back into battle after a death. If you respawn and half your team is also respawning, wait for them before going back. There are some cases where you may want to rush back even if there's only 1 or 2 teammates engaged, e.g. the other team also only has 1 or 2 engaged so the fight is still winnable (especially if your team has the spawn advantage), but in general you want to make sure you're engaging with a full team of 5. Sometimes you'll have a teammate that doesn't get this, but all you can really do is not further contribute to the problem.

For Lucio, if no one is sticking together you're just going to have a to pick a teammate at any given time to support. With speed and wallride you can jump between these teammates quickly, but try to stick with someone so you're not just sitting around alone. If the enemy team is flanking, keep an eye on your other support as they might need you to help peel/defend against a pesky Genji or something. If your other healer is sticking with the tank and doing a good job keeping them up, going in with one of your DPS to help enable them might be the move. If you have a divey tank like Winston or Dva, and your other support isn't very mobile, then it might be better to try to stick with the tank when they dive in.

At lower ranks, just staying alive as passive heal bot Lucio can win you games. But if that's all you're doing you're not really getting the full value out of him. As you're getting started, when in doubt be on heals, but you want to focus on being on speed any time heals aren't needed (and there are cases where even if your team is damaged, speed is more likely to win you the fight). Don't blow your amp too early when you're team is just taking poke damage or damage the other healer is easily able to handle. At lower ranks you'll probably want to amp heals most of the time, but in general amping speed can also be very effective for chasing down stagger kills, engaging, enabling an ulting teammate and pushing through chokes. The problem is at lower ranks your teammates won't be as good at capitalizing on amped speed, and things like amping through chokes require coordination and understanding that your team might not have (e.g. your tank just hangs out at the choke instead of pushing through, or half your team pushes through while the other half stays behind and gets picked), but if you want to get on comms and try to organize it, then go for it.

As far as getting value from your ult goes, a good starting point is to take a look at the enemy team composition and see if there are any enemy ults that you can reliably minimize. Things like soldier visor, genji blade, sigma ult, grav, rein shatter or mei freeze if you don't get caught in it, kiriko if your team can't (or won't) just back off, hog in some cases (especially if they nano it), etc I'm probably missing a few. Ults like reaper and pharah can put out damage too fast to reactively respond to them before they kill you or some of your teammates. There are of course non-ult moments where his ult can shine as well, those can just be harder moments to intuit when you're first starting out which is why the ult-response is a good starting point for beat. One thing though is to try to hold beat even in response to one of those ults if the fight is already lost regardless. Sometimes the opposing team will blow ults when they're already up say 2 kills, and in that case it's better to just die with ult than to counter that ult only to just get wiped up afterwards.

The trick to maximizing value as Lucio is to try to play as aggressive as possible without dying and without leaving your team unsupported. If you watch high level Lucio players (not just the reddit Lucio frag-out types), they'll be all over the place and not afraid to go into the enemy team at times (with teammates or even solo sometimes) to confirm kills. If you begin playing like that, you'll almost certainly die a bunch and be throwing as your skill and game sense aren't at the level to make that work. You might somewhat get away with it at very low ranks, as the other team's aim might be bad enough that they can't punish your poor decisions, but that just means you'll be learning bad habits that will come back to bite you as you climb ranks. So I'd recommend starting off playing safe and slowly experiment with adding more aggression. If you find that results in you dying more, especially being one of the first to die, dial it back. If you're team is staying grouped together you should almost always just be playing back, making sure your teammates have speed/heals, and poking with your gun from afar. It's when your team has flankers, DPS taking angles, divey tanks and just less of a ball comp in general that you should consider experimenting with pushing in more.

For both Lucio and Junk, it might be good to have some practice on one other hero in the role so you can help balance your team comp a bit if necessary. You certainly can just one trick if you like, but there will be some cases where having a complimentary hero in your pocket could swing a match. For Junk, a ranged hitscan hero to help deal with enemy flyers if your other DPS can't handle it (or doesn't switch) is the ideal compliment. For Lucio, a hero that can output more single target healing (e.g. Moira, Ana, Mercy, Bap) is ideal in the event that your other support is also running a lower heals support (like Zen) and you can't keep your tank up.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Torb and Bastion will return next week. Junkertown is currently disabled because of GPU issues
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/update-junkertown-disabled-and-eta-for-restoral/726919

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Placed Silver 4 on support queue as Bap main. I honestly thought I was gonna be a lot lower in bronze with the amount of losses I turned in, lmao. Had to have been close to/right around the 20 mark. Support is so brutal now, but still a lot of fun for me.

[edit] Oh nm, I ended up going 7-12 I think? Not as bad as I thought. Still gutter trash support. Time to climb I guess!

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 20, 2022

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

With Sombra just remove her unlimited invisibility too because gently caress that, it should tricky to get to the back line not just walk right past the team because you have all the time in the world or stay still for 30 seconds right by the enemy so you can easily get a pick

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Splinter posted:

Don't stress too much about getting ready for placements, it's unlikely you're going to change your first rank significantly from your performance. I.e., another day or two of quick play practice isn't going to result in a massive improvement in how good you are at comp. Play comp, play it often, and try to always think about how you're messing up and possible things to try to correct that.

Two big things for starting comp is to a) focus on not throwing your life away especially before an engagement or early in an engagement. This is especially true as support. In lower ranks, just staying alive as support can go a long way. And b) try to make sure you're not trickling back into battle after a death. If you respawn and half your team is also respawning, wait for them before going back. There are some cases where you may want to rush back even if there's only 1 or 2 teammates engaged, e.g. the other team also only has 1 or 2 engaged so the fight is still winnable (especially if your team has the spawn advantage), but in general you want to make sure you're engaging with a full team of 5. Sometimes you'll have a teammate that doesn't get this, but all you can really do is not further contribute to the problem.

For Lucio, if no one is sticking together you're just going to have a to pick a teammate at any given time to support. With speed and wallride you can jump between these teammates quickly, but try to stick with someone so you're not just sitting around alone. If the enemy team is flanking, keep an eye on your other support as they might need you to help peel/defend against a pesky Genji or something. If your other healer is sticking with the tank and doing a good job keeping them up, going in with one of your DPS to help enable them might be the move. If you have a divey tank like Winston or Dva, and your other support isn't very mobile, then it might be better to try to stick with the tank when they dive in.

At lower ranks, just staying alive as passive heal bot Lucio can win you games. But if that's all you're doing you're not really getting the full value out of him. As you're getting started, when in doubt be on heals, but you want to focus on being on speed any time heals aren't needed (and there are cases where even if your team is damaged, speed is more likely to win you the fight). Don't blow your amp too early when you're team is just taking poke damage or damage the other healer is easily able to handle. At lower ranks you'll probably want to amp heals most of the time, but in general amping speed can also be very effective for chasing down stagger kills, engaging, enabling an ulting teammate and pushing through chokes. The problem is at lower ranks your teammates won't be as good at capitalizing on amped speed, and things like amping through chokes require coordination and understanding that your team might not have (e.g. your tank just hangs out at the choke instead of pushing through, or half your team pushes through while the other half stays behind and gets picked), but if you want to get on comms and try to organize it, then go for it.

As far as getting value from your ult goes, a good starting point is to take a look at the enemy team composition and see if there are any enemy ults that you can reliably minimize. Things like soldier visor, genji blade, sigma ult, grav, rein shatter or mei freeze if you don't get caught in it, kiriko if your team can't (or won't) just back off, hog in some cases (especially if they nano it), etc I'm probably missing a few. Ults like reaper and pharah can put out damage too fast to reactively respond to them before they kill you or some of your teammates. There are of course non-ult moments where his ult can shine as well, those can just be harder moments to intuit when you're first starting out which is why the ult-response is a good starting point for beat. One thing though is to try to hold beat even in response to one of those ults if the fight is already lost regardless. Sometimes the opposing team will blow ults when they're already up say 2 kills, and in that case it's better to just die with ult than to counter that ult only to just get wiped up afterwards.

The trick to maximizing value as Lucio is to try to play as aggressive as possible without dying and without leaving your team unsupported. If you watch high level Lucio players (not just the reddit Lucio frag-out types), they'll be all over the place and not afraid to go into the enemy team at times (with teammates or even solo sometimes) to confirm kills. If you begin playing like that, you'll almost certainly die a bunch and be throwing as your skill and game sense aren't at the level to make that work. You might somewhat get away with it at very low ranks, as the other team's aim might be bad enough that they can't punish your poor decisions, but that just means you'll be learning bad habits that will come back to bite you as you climb ranks. So I'd recommend starting off playing safe and slowly experiment with adding more aggression. If you find that results in you dying more, especially being one of the first to die, dial it back. If you're team is staying grouped together you should almost always just be playing back, making sure your teammates have speed/heals, and poking with your gun from afar. It's when your team has flankers, DPS taking angles, divey tanks and just less of a ball comp in general that you should consider experimenting with pushing in more.

For both Lucio and Junk, it might be good to have some practice on one other hero in the role so you can help balance your team comp a bit if necessary. You certainly can just one trick if you like, but there will be some cases where having a complimentary hero in your pocket could swing a match. For Junk, a ranged hitscan hero to help deal with enemy flyers if your other DPS can't handle it (or doesn't switch) is the ideal compliment. For Lucio, a hero that can output more single target healing (e.g. Moira, Ana, Mercy, Bap) is ideal in the event that your other support is also running a lower heals support (like Zen) and you can't keep your tank up.

These are all things I can take on board for sure! Appreciate the effort, cheers!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cretin90 posted:

Ana’s other real weakness is needing to be able to hit things.

And that’s why I play Lucio and Moira.

Exactly, being good at aiming is for posers.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Moira makes so many streamers who play FPS games so mad, it's funny.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

goku moira skin

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

teagone posted:

Moira makes so many streamers who play FPS games so mad, it's funny.

i'll happily give up moira's autotargeting the instant they remove the doublejumping air control champ with a fan spam rightclick who's about as easy to hit as it is to shoot a bullet through a propeller

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
So if you're getting harassed by Sombra/Tracer/Genji these days as a support and your team is doing gently caress all about it what do you do? Switch to Brig? I find it really bad on the new maps especially the robot push ones.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

leftist heap posted:

So if you're getting harassed by Sombra/Tracer/Genji these days as a support and your team is doing gently caress all about it what do you do? Switch to Brig? I find it really bad on the new maps especially the robot push ones.

Emotionally prepare to be called various slurs by the rest of your team?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

leftist heap posted:

kill them, escape, or die

i know that sounds glib but if you don't have a team that's aware enough to check for flankers and hear reaper's elephant footsteps, you gotta rely on yourself to hit your shots and outduel them

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

leftist heap posted:

pick moira/lucio/brig for ez mode

mercy with pharah

ana/baptiste can work well if your ally healer helps peel for you so you don't burn all your long important cooldowns on just keeping yourself alive

don't pick zen if your ally healer sucks at peeling for you. zen's ult is really good vs genji though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I can't aim for poo poo so I always feel like a god when I miraculously manage to land two kunai into Genji's stupid head as Kiriko.

It feels especially satisfying when Kiriko gets really smug about it.

"Come on, Shimada..."

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

mercy might also work well vs genji or tracer if you get really good w/ her new movement techs even without a pharah, but I haven't personally tried it

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ratio of characters to player slots
tank: 9
damage: 8
support: 4

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

really the solution to 90% of support problems are "play moira" and it's genuinely irritating at this point, and i say that as someone who only plays support

i'd like to play other poo poo that requires a modicum of mechanical skill but if you don't have the agility to kill flanking sombra/genjis in a couple of clicks then you feel like a hen in a foxhouse 24/7, and it's not a very fun experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

stupid bullshit you can do with mercy, 2022, colorized
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPI76usMOtE