Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

pointlessone posted:

Christmas one isn't that bad even though it's basically the same because you can just restart hen you fall instead of needing to wait for the one person in the group to either finish, or you're the one in the group making everyone else wait. Tried for over an hour last night with a TacO helper, still never made it.

But once you make it, you'll be able to do it more than not.

Worst part is the end when you forget to wait for the window to smash open so you can jump in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Never talk to me or my son again

oh heck, just realized my golds don't match.
How embarrassing

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My advice for the clock tower is to get used to jumping movement with action camera active (or just hold down right mouse the entire time like I do)

If you are ever the type to stop moving and keyboard turn around slowly between jumps to line up you'll never finish it.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

My advice for the clock tower is to get used to jumping movement with action camera active (or just hold down right mouse the entire time like I do)

If you are ever the type to stop moving and keyboard turn around slowly between jumps to line up you'll never finish it.

Agree 100%

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Are there people keyboard turning? Are they okay?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Not GW2 specific but does anyone else use a mouse that uses the Ghub program to control button profiles?

My mouse still works but the side buttons are supposed to be bound to Ctrl+# but it's ignoring the Ctrl part.

The bindings are correct in the profile.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Deformed Church posted:

Are there people keyboard turning? Are they okay?

Well, if we consider dev comments from the Discord chat leak a few months ago, it's a majority of the playerbase.

quote:

It's not 'rotations' that are the problem- that's minor optimization for players who are already capable of playing the game at a high level.
It's time on target and simultaneous action, especially movement and camera control, that are the biggest cause of skill gap.
Most people play with keyboard turning, and camera control is something they -can not- do at the same time as movement.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
:wtchris:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Keyboard turners are valid but I do not respect them.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
One of my alts is called Tina Keyboardturner

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Well, if we consider dev comments from the Discord chat leak a few months ago, it's a majority of the playerbase.

Bots don't move the camera around, why would they?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Seems like because of research notes there will no longer be any food/utilities from holiday bags, both trick or treat bags and wintersday gifts.

Hope everyone stocked up last year on those, if I knew I would of put way more in storage and not sold off the halloween utilities for 2s each when they are up to 7s each now.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

So what are research notes for exactly? I bounced off end of dragons hard, and loosing any easy source of food / utilities because of them is a little frustrating.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
gently caress Research Notes forever

Just like studying IRL they’re a fun vacuum

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

trunkh posted:

So what are research notes for exactly? I bounced off end of dragons hard, and loosing any easy source of food / utilities because of them is a little frustrating.

The aurene legendary weapons, the alternative skins for them and jade bot upgrades

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

whydirt posted:

gently caress Research Notes forever

Yeah they are dumb as hell. There's zero need for them to be so convoluted

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

CODChimera posted:

Yeah they are dumb as hell. There's zero need for them to be so convoluted

So we're stuck with them forever is what you're saying.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Yeah unfortunately they are one of the least fun things ever added to the game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
At least with the auto-salvage function added you can just buy cheap mithril and salvage thousands upon thousands of cheap earrings or helmets until you can be post research note scarcity.

Research notes are probably here to stay because they want people to rotate through the cheapest materials available, cheap food and utilities is a casualty of that and of them wanting people to spend more gold passively.

(Though I'd really like the cheap food to stay)

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Ahh yes. Research notes. Just goes to show that if you got in on the ground floor exploiting and banked 100k+ research notes for a pittance that literally nothing negative would happen to you and you would save yourself headache and heartache in the future.

Never change, Anet.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
For as much of a pain learning the Clocktower is, the reward for the first time finishing it is... underwhelming.

After bashing my head against that and the Beetle Race for gold time today, I don't know to which of the responsible devs I wish more unpleasant things.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

i'm pretty sure at this point research notes are just to keep the price of mithril ore afloat, which would completely collapse without a sink.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
What keeps leather expensive relative to the other base mats?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Someone made a Geo Guesser for GW2! Pretty neat. Now that I think of it, it's surprising no one has done this before.

https://gw2-geoguesser.mael.tech/

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

whydirt posted:

T5 leather is cheap. The mid tier stuff you can only really farm in lake doric, whereas you can mine/chop hard wood and platinum from a ton of zones.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
It doesn't explain why cloth isn't quite as valuable as leather, though. I think they borked the ratios you needed things a while back and never really came back to that.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They should hire an economist agahahahaha just stop Anet, please :laffo:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
You need elonian leather for a bunch of legendary weapons, but not damask

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

whydirt posted:

To make insignias to craft armor, you need significantly more Leather than Cloth. Metal and Wood are world harvestable, which keeps those down.

T6 leather drop rates were slashed around HoT to bring up the price, and that's around when they added the leather requirement to make insignias. I sold the t6 leather I had stockpiled pre-HoT and was able to make Nevermore with the post-HoT leather prices.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Meskhenet posted:

But once you make it, you'll be able to do it more than not.

Worst part is the end when you forget to wait for the window to smash open so you can jump in.

I got it! Thanks for the tip on waiting on the clock, it nearly got me the first time I made it up there. I had been getting so close, the part where you have to drop and some of the gears are my current pain points now.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The gloves for the Halloween meta are pretty nice and surprisingly understated.

Thinking about making my Mesmer spooky year-round!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Not GW2 specific but does anyone else use a mouse that uses the Ghub program to control button profiles?

My mouse still works but the side buttons are supposed to be bound to Ctrl+# but it's ignoring the Ctrl part.

The bindings are correct in the profile.

i still use logitech gaming software because ghub sucks

what do your bindings look like? i don't know how ghub does it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

tarbrush posted:

You need elonian leather for a bunch of legendary weapons, but not damask
in addition to this, possible salvage results of almost every piece of armor are metal and cloth, while only some light and most medium armor pieces potentially salvage into leather
likewise, many, but not all weapons salvage into wood, while almost every weapon and armor piece can salvage into metal
and finally, you need 4 leather sections to make a square, while cloth only needs 3
this makes cloth and metal more abundant than wood or leather right out the gate.

leather is especially rare because not only does it drop less and is needed for legendaries, almost every single piece of ascended armor needs some leather. most non-medium varieties don't need much, but they do need some

oddly enough, cloth or damask are needed for every single piece of armor in the game, and for some time after the ascended variety of gear released, silk in particular was quite a bit more expensive than leather, but i guess eventually massive supply just won over the demand?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

where the red fern gropes posted:

if you go to settings, and hit default.... yeah thats what mine look like.

EXCEPT, i bound the special thing that pops up, like the IBS blast thingy, and the EMP to my thumb mouse button. (i might even have bound one of my mounts to the button behind that button. jes, i need to try it next time i log in.)

And i dont believe the keyboard to turn is real. They making GBS threads everyone with that. There is no way this game is playable with keyboard to turn.

Edit - Leather talk.

Ive just swapped out my silvers bot for leather salvage. Ive nearly got a stack of 250 ill open to see if it is worth it. Would love to rank that up like the other chips, so im getting a pouch ever 20s or so.

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 20, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

where the red fern gropes posted:

i still use logitech gaming software because ghub sucks

Well I'd show you but Ghub is permanently stuck "loading resources" which is a common problem.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

The difference in learning a new fight with a berserker caster (even reaper) and a celestial machinist is a bit night and day. In this case talking about the destroyer lieutenants in Draconis Mons that you fight on the calderas. There's some room for improvement as I learn their attack patterns and play a bit more safely with the reaper, but its the difference between "Oh poo poo it's looking at me... welp outright defeated before I can tap the dodge button" and "oh huh my health bar actually moved guess I better saunter out of this burning puke". The range helps.

I got my guardian's lunatic armor made so next up is my necro so I can flip to support scourge.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

bagrada posted:

The difference in learning a new fight with a berserker caster (even reaper) and a celestial machinist is a bit night and day. In this case talking about the destroyer lieutenants in Draconis Mons that you fight on the calderas. There's some room for improvement as I learn their attack patterns and play a bit more safely with the reaper, but its the difference between "Oh poo poo it's looking at me... welp outright defeated before I can tap the dodge button" and "oh huh my health bar actually moved guess I better saunter out of this burning puke". The range helps.

I got my guardian's lunatic armor made so next up is my necro so I can flip to support scourge.

Those things seem impossible with a melee weapon.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

How many Halloween bags are people getting per hour in the lab? Someone said 500 is normal but I'm only pulling like 250. Very sad!!

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
I think I got 500+ in like an hour. Gotta open all the doors and stuff. The boss doors drop bags that spawn more regular bags. Feels worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Are halloween bags a good way to grind gold? Like, efficiently?