Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone had an issue with texting Android people photos recently? It takes forever to send then just finally fails every time. Multiple different Android people.

Obvious solution is to only have friends and associates who use iPhones.

Also, no, although I use google voice more so I wouldn’t run into it that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Obvious solution is to only have friends and associates who use iPhones.

lol the only reason I have an iPhone is because everyone else at the small (five people) company I work for has one and my Android was in some way messing up any group texts on their end.

But hey, free hand-me-down iPhone 12 I guess.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Chief McHeath posted:

lol the only reason I have an iPhone is because everyone else at the small (five people) company I work for has one and my Android was in some way messing up any group texts on their end.

Bad Purchase loved this!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Chief McHeath posted:

Bullying works

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
That is pretty much why I feel pressured into getting an iphone now because all of my family and extended family are like airdropping and facetiming each other and I just get these blurry 2000s era gifs in the group texts :negative:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is the Apple Store Genius Bar experience always this painful with waiting to get my phone battery replaced?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Same thing happened to a few other folks in the thread, including me- throwing the phone into recovery mode and choosing to Update rather than Restore is just like reinstalling macOS- your user data shouldn't be touched (barring any other filesystem issues) and it just gives you a fresh version of the OS. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

Just don't be a dumbass like me and click the update when iTunes is showing you an older version for download on launch day or you get to go through the full restore process!

This didn’t work for me. I’m just going to wait for the next update.

Thankfully it didn’t gently caress in Siri on the HomePods which is used a lot.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

buglord posted:

Is the Apple Store Genius Bar experience always this painful with waiting to get my phone battery replaced?

What's the problem? Sometimes they can be busy and you have to wait. They also have procedures they have to follow like filling out certain forms and performing certain diagnostics on the phone before they can do the actual work.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bought my first AirTags for my ATV remotes because kids suck at not losing them. Why in the world are the sounds so quiet on them?! I can barely hear them unless the room is perfectly quiet.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Bought my first AirTags for my ATV remotes because kids suck at not losing them. Why in the world are the sounds so quiet on them?! I can barely hear them unless the room is perfectly quiet.

They are fairly loud, did you fit in a cover/holder that blocks the sides? You might be blocking the speaker output.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

They are fairly loud, did you fit in a cover/holder that blocks the sides? You might be blocking the speaker output.

The cases I have leave the Airtag exposed.

Maybe I have too many kids and too much chaos in my house :v:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
There's no good thread for this as far as I can tell, but Apple Music has been mentioned here a couple of times - I just wanted to say that I just came across Cider and it's allowed me to finally ditch Spotify in favour of Apple Music. Cider is a windows Apple Music app. It's a free community project which was only released earlier this year, but is already approaching a lot of the functionality of the Spotify client - and goes without saying that it's leagues better than iTunes or the Apple Music web client on PC.

It's still missing a couple of things from Spotify. I still miss Spotify Connect greatly, and there's a remote app for this but you have to get a test flight slot to use it. You can't yet sort playlists, but they're on the case. Also no lossless, if that matters to you, because of Apple's own limitations.

But they've got a lot of fun audio processing stuff they've ginned up themselves - and this'll be a matter of subjective taste but I think music sounds great through it. And there are lots of tweaks and settings you can play around with, including for the interface. Highly recommend.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

There's no good thread for this as far as I can tell, but Apple Music has been mentioned here a couple of times - I just wanted to say that I just came across Cider and it's allowed me to finally ditch Spotify in favour of Apple Music. Cider is a windows Apple Music app. It's a free community project which was only released earlier this year, but is already approaching a lot of the functionality of the Spotify client - and goes without saying that it's leagues better than iTunes or the Apple Music web client on PC.

It's still missing a couple of things from Spotify. I still miss Spotify Connect greatly, and there's a remote app for this but you have to get a test flight slot to use it. You can't yet sort playlists, but they're on the case. Also no lossless, if that matters to you, because of Apple's own limitations.

But they've got a lot of fun audio processing stuff they've ginned up themselves - and this'll be a matter of subjective taste but I think music sounds great through it. And there are lots of tweaks and settings you can play around with, including for the interface. Highly recommend.

Not that it matters since it seems like you found a solution that works well for you but Apple did announce a Music client for Windows coming at some point.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Skeezy posted:

Not that it matters since it seems like you found a solution that works well for you but Apple did announce a Music client for Windows coming at some point.

hopefully that will replace the garbage windows version of itunes for non-subs too.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
i switched from spotify last year and it really is incredible how bad the apple music algorithm is and how laggy the search and navigation are in comparison. the old itunes interface on my windows pc also seems to be faster in that regard than the dedicated music apps in macos and ios. it’s pretty pathetic how little improvement there’s been even with the overhaul.

if you mostly stick to your own playlists and don’t want “discovery” features, it works fine though. I haven’t noticed the random service outages this year that used to happen every couple weeks in the year or two after it launched.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

As an Apple Music stan I acknowledge its discovery features are severely lacking. Also a lack of robust shared playlists that Spotify provides in spades. I basically never use the stupid “mood” playlists that are all the rage to algorithmically generate these days.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'd probably switch to Apple Music if they supported Last.fm scrobbling, but I don't really ever see that happening. There are third-party apps that support it, but then there are other downsides. So, Spotify it is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The biggest crime of apple music is it has that little infinity icon activated by default, so when I finish playing an album or song I picked from the search results page it'll decide I need more music and draw a random song from a random genre out of a hat to surprise the gently caress out of me and send me scrambling for the stop button.

I mean it's good that I can turn the behavior off, so I guess this is mostly a complaint about the horrible discoverability of features in iOS. I shouldn't need google to figure out preferences.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

xzzy posted:

The biggest crime of apple music is it has that little infinity icon activated by default, so when I finish playing an album or song I picked from the search results page it'll decide I need more music and draw a random song from a random genre out of a hat to surprise the gently caress out of me and send me scrambling for the stop button.

I mean it's good that I can turn the behavior off, so I guess this is mostly a complaint about the horrible discoverability of features in iOS. I shouldn't need google to figure out preferences.

Spotify also has this on by default and turned off by a setting, though?

I also hate it, but I feel like most people just want the music to keep playing.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I listened to a couple deep tracks of hair metal and now my personal station is so bad. I’ll have to just start all over.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

sonatinas posted:

I listened to a couple deep tracks of hair metal and now my personal station is so bad. I’ll have to just start all over.

Ah, you’ve found your jazz

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

sonatinas posted:

this is the same reason i started watching all youtube videos in incognito mode years ago unless they're from one of the few channels i'm already subscribed to or perfectly aligned with my interests. the recommendation algorithm can work ok if you feed it a purified and curated play history, but the moment you start letting it sniff out random video links you click from discord, forums, etc. it will totally and forever wreck the recommendations.

probably i should just start cycling through new youtube accounts separate from my gmail account every year or so to get a fresh start.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

this is the same reason i started watching all youtube videos in incognito mode years ago unless they're from one of the few channels i'm already subscribed to or perfectly aligned with my interests. the recommendation algorithm can work ok if you feed it a purified and curated play history, but the moment you start letting it sniff out random video links you click from discord, forums, etc. it will totally and forever wreck the recommendations.

probably i should just start cycling through new youtube accounts separate from my gmail account every year or so to get a fresh start.

Despite deleting all search/watch history for all time, numerous times, Youtube thinks I'm a train super fan because I guess I watched a vid years ago.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think it is great fun to see my youtube front page evolve in response to some random nonsense I clicked on for five seconds earlier this week.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hi thread, I googled this and couldn't find a public answer, anyone know for the US:

in the city where I live, thieves who demand your possessions and iPhone™ at gunpoint are experienced enough to demand that you remove your iPhone from Find My iPhone and to verbally say your passcode before you give it to them.

If this happened to someone, can they get their IMEI from their carrier or can the cops use the IMEI to 'see' the phone if it tries to use service or tries to be re-registered on a different carrier?

Unfortunately it wouldn't be possible to remove any data from the phone or otherwise use Apple services to find it, but I am wondering if there is literally any way for anybody (like cops) to track it once it is taken. Or if everybody just gives up at that point for practicality reasons and the phone now belongs to the thief.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 18, 2022

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Inner Light posted:

As an Apple Music stan I acknowledge its discovery features are severely lacking. Also a lack of robust shared playlists that Spotify provides in spades. I basically never use the stupid “mood” playlists that are all the rage to algorithmically generate these days.

I would love it if they gave me an option to "Never Play This God Awful Song Again EVER" when shuffling my personal "Station". I have clicked the button to dislike a song, but it keeps playing every other day or so when shuffling. I can't understand what their logic is on that.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

trilljester posted:

I would love it if they gave me an option to "Never Play This God Awful Song Again EVER" when shuffling my personal "Station". I have clicked the button to dislike a song, but it keeps playing every other day or so when shuffling. I can't understand what their logic is on that.

Thumbs down doesn’t work I’m convinced. It doesn’t even stop playing the song after you press thumbs down!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it would be really funny if they made it so every station no matter the seed played tracks from “songs of innocence” every so often

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Not an iPhone user, but I'm trying to help some people. I've looked online and I think this isn't possible but I figured I should ask : is it possible to set icloud backup to work over cell data? These people are going to be way under their data limits, and literally the only thing their internet is for is icloud backups. It's insane to be paying like 80 bucks a month for that, is there way to fix that?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a toggle to allow backups over cellular in settings.app.

At the very top of the settings app, tap their name. Then iCloud, then iCloud Backup.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

phosdex posted:

Despite deleting all search/watch history for all time, numerous times, Youtube thinks I'm a train super fan because I guess I watched a vid years ago.

Weird way to find out you’re autistic!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

Weird way to find out you’re autistic!

Turn your monitor on.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Weedle posted:

it would be really funny if they made it so every station no matter the seed played tracks from “songs of innocence” every so often

Not gonna lie, this actually happened to me about a month ago when I was listening to my "Station". I had deleted the album off of my iPhone when it first came out, but somehow Apple thought I'd like to hear a random track or 2 off of it!

quote:

Thumbs down doesn’t work I’m convinced. It doesn’t even stop playing the song after you press thumbs down!

Absolutely infuriating. I am sure Apple has zero people working on Apple Music UI/Experience or what not. It's basically the same as it has been since forever.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

My aunt seems to have lost a bunch of notes from notes.app. She says she had both iCloud and gmail configured and it seems like all of the gmail ones are gone. I’ll just note up front that i can’t confirm that’s actually how it was originally configured but somehow she’s definitely lost a bunch of stuff. She took it to the Apple Store where they tried a lot of things including a phone restore with no success. Nothing in deleted folders, nothing in her gmail account “notes” folder when we looked in the web UI, nothing in the iCloud.com view of her notes, etc. Googling around shows various reports of this happening to people occasionally over the years with no resolution I’ve been able to find. Anyone happen to have run into this or have any ideas?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Gmail very early on would just stop showing all your email. You'd email them and they'd find all your email and it would appear again. Could something like that be happening with notes?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

Hi thread, I googled this and couldn't find a public answer, anyone know for the US:

in the city where I live, thieves who demand your possessions and iPhone™ at gunpoint are experienced enough to demand that you remove your iPhone from Find My iPhone and to verbally say your passcode before you give it to them.

If this happened to someone, can they get their IMEI from their carrier or can the cops use the IMEI to 'see' the phone if it tries to use service or tries to be re-registered on a different carrier?

Unfortunately it wouldn't be possible to remove any data from the phone or otherwise use Apple services to find it, but I am wondering if there is literally any way for anybody (like cops) to track it once it is taken. Or if everybody just gives up at that point for practicality reasons and the phone now belongs to the thief.

So I take it you got robbed, which my condolences if so.

So , carriers systems aren’t perfect , but when you search an IMEI , they can probably see a few things (depending on how the systems work).

-is it on the lost / stolen list
-is it unlocked
-is it compatible
-a deeper search can show then what accounts it has been on for that carrier , but of course they can’t see other Carriers. Verizon doesn’t share their records with ATT for instance (other than lost / stolen).

The answer here is if you get robbed and it’s that bad , you still can call your carrier afterwards, report it lost / stolen, and the device won’t work in the US. Which doesn’t really prevent it, because usually thieves are looking to sell overseas anyway, but yeah I would say it def wouldn’t be usable service wise in the US.

The find my iPhone being turned off in this example more is bad because of potential personal theft issues plus obviously the phone doesn’t get bricked.

The IMEI lost stolen list is not shared with cops as far as I know, and I really hope it is not. But again, they’re auto flagged in the Us upon being reported stolen, so I would say it removed the need for police , who quite frankly won’t help you retrieve a lost phone anyway, it’s very low on their list of poo poo to do (which I won’t list here).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Do people like FaceID? Does it work reliably on a phone? I have it in my iPad Pro and though it works a lot of the time, it fails way too often for my taste.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Do people like FaceID? Does it work reliably on a phone? I have it in my iPad Pro and though it works a lot of the time, it fails way too often for my taste.

Works every time on iPhone. iPad is a bit more hit and miss, yeah - I feel like you need to get the distance right, in a way that feels very natural on the phone, but where you have to like lean in on a tablet. The iPad isn’t always at eye level - like if im using it in the kitchen, or at a desk, or any other context where I haven’t picked it up in my hands.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rinkles posted:

Best security feature ever invented.

I'd say that even if I didn't have scars on my right thumb and index finger, too.

The less i have to interact with my Apple device while cooking or eating, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Rinkles posted:

FaceID is great and I wouldn’t want to go back to a TouchID only phone.