Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
so i played a small amount of vermintide with some friends and while I loved the smashy shooty combat I hated having to replay levels over to get good enough gear to play on the non-faceroll difficulty.

This looks like the smashy shooty combat is even better, but I'm assuming it has the same psuedo-rpg/destiny structure where you have to do stuff over and over again to get to the harder difficulties instead of just being able to play through the campaign on hard from the word go?

thanks in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Vermintide 2 got proc-gen levels late in it's lifecycle, Darktide is supposed to have them on release. If true, that will go a long, long, long way toward alleviating repetition. If it's anything like the Chaos Wastes (the VT2 procgen levels) there will be recognizable chunks stitched together, but it's still much better than entire levels set in stone.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Corbeau posted:

Vermintide 2 got proc-gen levels late in it's lifecycle, Darktide is supposed to have them on release. If true, that will go a long, long, long way toward alleviating repetition. If it's anything like the Chaos Wastes (the VT2 procgen levels) there will be recognizable chunks stitched together, but it's still much better than entire levels set in stone.

Where is the info that Darktide is supposed to have procgen coming from, if you don’t mind my asking? I couldn’t find any when I looked.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I don't have a primary source, it's just something I've read repeatedly. It could be a misunderstanding that's been reproduced over and over though the internet phone game. Though if the missions aren't modular... well, given that they've done it before with Chaos Wastes I'd have to ask the developers what the gently caress they think they're doing. I definitely won't be buying if the release is all static levels.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I haven’t gone digging but my understanding is that the physical maps are static but there’s some variation in enemy spawns/events/bonus objectives/etc, and maybe minor side route changes

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Fishstick posted:

Did they do the sensible thing and quadruple bonk him with the grenade box?

Nah, they just stunlocked him in the corner with power attacks. It worked fine, because there was no other challenge in the room. If you want to judge their technique for yourself, here you go, Ogryn doing minimal damage to an armored target.

Psyker head-popping was SO MUCH FUN.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Alright, regarding map generation. Apparently it was detailed in an Edge magazine interview they did, but I'll provide a timestamped vid of the section being read out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRAtfX-1U_g&t=769s

Whether this is automated or not though, I don't think is made clear.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The levels in the test were 100% static unfortunately and I very much doubt that's something that comes on in the last month and a half.

E: Actually got a second to watch the video, big lmao. Everyone is misinterpreting this. They’re talking about how they design the levels and put them together, like how the smelter mission and the cryonic rods mission pass through a similar part of the industrial area before branching off again. There’s not going to be procgen levels, at least not for the initial set.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 19, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah there's two variants, one with slower ROF and smaller mag but presumably more damage, and the other with opposite traits. The faster-shooting one feels a lot better, but that said both suffer from terrible ironsights.
I played mainly diff2 and the short ("sighted") autogun I found felt like rear end. Small magazine, lobg reload animation, awful sights and no discernible damage boost over the autopistol. I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to use it for. I kept hoping for the long pattern or a lasgun but never scored either. :(

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The beta build is a couple months out of date supposedly so hopefully the release will be further along. We'll see on release I suppose, I have game pass anyway.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Siivola posted:

I played mainly diff2 and the short ("sighted") autogun I found felt like rear end. Small magazine, lobg reload animation, awful sights and no discernible damage boost over the autopistol. I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to use it for. I kept hoping for the long pattern or a lasgun but never scored either. :(

I think the lasgun is technically superior for most things (just like in lore) but I hate tap-firing so much, it stresses my fingers. I hope there's an autogun variant with a proper sight, or at least a way to customize sights on weapons.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

I think the lasgun is technically superior for most things (just like in lore) but I hate tap-firing so much, it stresses my fingers. I hope there's an autogun variant with a proper sight, or at least a way to customize sights on weapons.
I found the autopistol fixed all of the issues and when braced could headshot enemies very reliably. The crosshair wasn't a super precise instrument but it worked fine.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Kokoro Wish posted:

Alright, regarding map generation. Apparently it was detailed in an Edge magazine interview they did, but I'll provide a timestamped vid of the section being read out:

Aside from the actual enemy spawns, I think it's pretty certain that true map procgen based on tilesets is out.The best we can probably hope for is static maps with "random" alternate routes like in V2; or if they add longer missons that the order of them is randomized.

Weapontalk: What did the zealot's autopistol's alt fire (RMB) do, other than holding it at a dutch angle? I couldn't really see any difference

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Fishstick posted:

Weapontalk: What did the zealot's autopistol's alt fire (RMB) do, other than holding it at a dutch angle? I couldn't really see any difference
I could swear the recoil was lowered and the gun shot much closer to the reticle. I felt I could reach all the way across the map with it like that, much like the shotgun.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
The way it altered the crosshair made it look to me as if it was making it spread less vertically but more horizontally, but I also couldn't really see much difference when I fired it...

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Shooting things wasn't worth the hassle of looking for ammo at difficulty 2, so I can't say I experimented very rigorously.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Shooting mooks is a waste but a high penetration gun is gonna be key for 3+ I think. My group only briefly went into 3 but it had a very noticeable jump in specials and more elite armored units.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah I think that with the added specials, just rushing through rooms swinging my axe will end badly. It seems better to chill out, snipe off a couple of dudes and see what flushes out. And guns will be so handy for dealing with bombers and bursters and snipers and oh my

I wish the first two difficulties weren't just waves of chaff. I don't think I figured out any of the defensive mechanics during the beta because it was so easy to M1 through hordes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I could also see more need for quick horde clearing by way of grenade or guns in higher difficulties. As I recall from Vermintide, the specials could often cause problems, but the thing that actually kills you are often the hordes because even lovely clanrats hit like a truck at higher difficulties and they can sneak in around your back fairly easily.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Kokoro Wish posted:

I don't think that suggests proc gen. I think that suggests that the devs manually stitch a level together so that it can share a tile giving the impression that you are criss-crossing a greater place during the progression of missions.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
There were 2 mutators in the beta right? No Meds and Lights Out? Is that what some PR speakers/interviewers have been confused by?

Edit: Because they're random elements and noone knows what words mean anymore.

Senethro fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 19, 2022

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

Qmass posted:

I don't think that suggests proc gen. I think that suggests that the devs manually stitch a level together so that it can share a tile giving the impression that you are criss-crossing a greater place during the progression of missions.

My reading of it was that they're creating bigger areas, and missions are particular paths through those areas, which may well intersect other paths. I think your take is more likely though.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Demiurge4 posted:

Shooting mooks is a waste but a high penetration gun is gonna be key for 3+ I think. My group only briefly went into 3 but it had a very noticeable jump in specials and more elite armored units.

I had a high penetration shotgun on a Psyker. Three shots would clear an entire hallway of mooks on difficulty 3, it was unreal. Sometimes there'd be a single Skag Mauler who had been hiding in the horde, and it's much easier to pop his head when he wasn't buried in cultists.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

After I got the thunder hammer my preferred way of dealing with maulers became: activate hammer > zealot charge > bonk him on the noggin.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My zealot charge experience is constantly consistently past my target and then looking around for them like a self owned idiot.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I used to play Reinhardt in OW so I just walked up to the enemies like a normal person and then used the charge to save myself if I started taking damage. Sometimes I charged the wall I was hugging so I could recharge my toughness without having to leave a good spot.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

While the zealot's charge goes through cultists, it stops if you hit a special.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

My zealot charge experience is constantly consistently past my target and then looking around for them like a self owned idiot.

Extremely confusing why they didn’t just copy paste the SIR KRUBER charge which has clear hit effects on everyone you bowl through and lets you block to stop the charge exactly where you want.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Funny, I don't remember writing this post.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

My favorite VT2 build was Kruber with handgun and executioner sword. Is there a Darktide analogue?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I would've preferred stealing Slayer Bardin's leap over any of the charges. Same sort of thing but it felt a lot more natural to use.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TaurusTorus posted:

My favorite VT2 build was Kruber with handgun and executioner sword. Is there a Darktide analogue?

We don't quite know yet. A handgun analogue seems very likely, e.g. as a long las sniper or some bolter variant. Hell, the revolver in the beta was almost there already. Whether there'll be a big fuckoff two-handed sword is less certain, but there's certainly precedent for those in 40k:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 19, 2022

Orv
May 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

We don't quite know yet. A handgun analogue seems very likely, e.g. as a long las sniper or some bolter variant. Hell, the revolver in the beta was almost there already. Whether there'll be a big fuckoff two-handed sword is less certain, but there's certainly precedent for those in 40k:

There's a two-handed power sword in the various pre-release materials, as well as a long las.

E: Also every time I type "power [thing]" in relation to 40K it sounds fake to my brain, I dunno why.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 19, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Demiurge4 posted:

Difficulty three was a huge jump from 2, and almost all my attempts at running it were sabotaged by level 5 and 6 players who refused to move with the group.

It didn't help that the vast majority of everyone who played seemed to be a veteran

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It is rather odd the Zealot charge couldn't be cancelled with a block, when the Ogryn charge could be. We'll find out on release I guess

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ah, Slayer Bardin then.
I LEAP AT YOU, DUEL ME MOTherfuckeeeeeer wait come back here jerk.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Perestroika posted:

Whether there'll be a big fuckoff two-handed sword is less certain, but there's certainly precedent for those in 40k:

:goonsay: That's not a "sword", sir, that's an Eviscerator.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

S.J. posted:

Difficulty three was a huge jump from 2, and almost all my attempts at running it were sabotaged by level 5 and 6 players who refused to move with the group.

It didn't help that the vast majority of everyone who played seemed to be a veteran

It feels like Darktide Difficulty 3+ is a bigger sea change compared to Champion+ in Vermintide. Darktide changes the enemy compositions by a TON as the difficulty goes up, not just in numbers but in armor and weapons. Difficulty 3 has more gunners and elite gunners as well as medium armor melee guys (the ones with the guard armor and maces). You can't just plant in place and play Warhammer Rat Croquet at everything running at you. You have to merk those gunners or they will ruin you.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Kobal2 posted:

:goonsay: That's not a "sword", sir, that's an Eviscerator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
For those who are beta-touchers, got a couple questions about character creation.

After you've made a character, can you make a second one of the same type?

At any point could you remake your character for different voice packs or looks if you ended up not liking something?