Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I want some 3 or 4 million gil worth of crafted items for glams :( Lawless Enforcer's Jacket, Calfskin Rider's Jacket and Shoes, Byakko Inspirited Ephemeris, Suzaku Flame Kunai, Craftsman Leather Trousers and Shoes, and those are just the costly ones I noticed...

How do I make money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SuperKlaus posted:

I want some 3 or 4 million gil worth of crafted items for glams :( Lawless Enforcer's Jacket, Calfskin Rider's Jacket and Shoes, Byakko Inspirited Ephemeris, Suzaku Flame Kunai, Craftsman Leather Trousers and Shoes, and those are just the costly ones I noticed...

How do I make money

i hear if you can craft items you can sell them to people who want items for glams

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
New thread title is v good

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That was fun. Definitely suggest folks try to figure out the riddles themselves (if you're trying to figure out where to start and beating youyr head againt one that doesn't seem to have enough clues, focus on middle, then left, then right). It's not too tricky once you figure out what's going on and is pretty fun.

Is there anything new with Nanamo somewhere when you're done? Feels like there should be.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

On a different note, until it was played on piano I never realized how similar To the Sun (one of the Thanalan themes) and To Zanarkind are.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Bruceski posted:

On a different note, until it was played on piano I never realized how similar To the Sun (one of the Thanalan themes) and To Zanarkind are.

It wasn't just me then!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

It wasn't just me then!

Brother: "why is this dungeon playing FFX music?"
Me: "No, it's To the Sun, I've been listening to it since Theatrythm, Wait... someone pull up Youtube."

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

SuperKlaus posted:

How do I make money

Skipping over "go do crafting and gathering and after a bunch of hours of effort you have money":

- Do all your roulettes, that gets you gil
- Complete challenge log stuff, that gets you gil
- Maps
- Find stuff people want that's a bit of a bother to get, then list that on the marketboard
- Level up your retainers, send them on either quick ventures or ventures for supplies that people are generally purchasing (food ingredients go fairly well, my current lazy income item is ovibos milk)
- Do FATEs for gems, cash them in for enemy drop items (like that ovibos milk) at the vendors, sell that
- Do hunts I guess?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

How do I make money

Do all the high-value roulettes (re: everything except Trials, Normals, Guildhest, and MSQ) every day with the Adventurer in Need bonus. Take any gatherer to an applicable Shadowbringers zone once a day and dig up a Gliderskin map for a chance at Shell Leather or Indigo Cloth to sell on the MB. Do 6x Tsai turnins a day if you have CUL at 90. Send your retainers out on Quick Ventures as much as you can when online and pray for rare dyes or one of the Rebel/Urban pieces.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Bruceski posted:

That was fun. Definitely suggest folks try to figure out the riddles themselves (if you're trying to figure out where to start and beating youyr head againt one that doesn't seem to have enough clues, focus on middle, then left, then right). It's not too tricky once you figure out what's going on and is pretty fun.

Is there anything new with Nanamo somewhere when you're done? Feels like there should be.

after you get entry 12 there's a quest outside the quicksand again

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

If you want money, unsyncing old extremes for rare mats can be worthwhile, but it's kind of a roll of the dice whether you actually get anything. Make sure you roll on the weapon drops and desynth them for more chances at a mat (you can also spend totems on more weapons to break apart). At level 90, anything Stormblood or lower doesn't require any guides, just hurt the bosses 'til they're dead. Shadowbringer fights you should probably look up a video for, but are usually a cakewalk, just with one or two mechanics you can't outright ignore. Hells Kier, Dancing Plague, and Hades's Elegy tend to be big sellers, but do some market research on your server first. Or just farm for all the mounts and enjoy getting expensive sellables occasionally.

Also make sure you're burning excess Astronomy tomes on crafting mats. If you don't want to bother doing market research, just buy mistletoe. It's not always the most expensive one, but it tends to sell quickly, since it's still used for current tier consumables.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I like doing custom deliveries and converting that into uhh the sand and vial items? They usually move pretty quick and works toward titles at the same time.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Custom deliveries -> scrip -> crafting/gathering materia is also pretty good, easy money, especially right after a new gear tier launches and everyone's throwing money into a giant hole to get their overmelds

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

FeatherFloat posted:

Skipping over "go do crafting and gathering and after a bunch of hours of effort you have money":

- Do all your roulettes, that gets you gil
- Complete challenge log stuff, that gets you gil
- Maps
- Find stuff people want that's a bit of a bother to get, then list that on the marketboard
- Level up your retainers, send them on either quick ventures or ventures for supplies that people are generally purchasing (food ingredients go fairly well, my current lazy income item is ovibos milk)
- Do FATEs for gems, cash them in for enemy drop items (like that ovibos milk) at the vendors, sell that
- Do hunts I guess?

Do Eureka. Gold rabbit chests give a guaranteed 100k gil and a ton of logos if you're in Pyros or Hydratos, plus a chance at a mount you can sell for a few million gil. Certain bosses in Pyros and Hydratos drop mats for expanding your magia board, which go for a few million each because they're so rare; I've never seen one drop despite spending a few weeks grinding.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

hydatos

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Last time I tried farming in eureka there were enough bots to squeeze me out

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dryzen posted:

after you get entry 12 there's a quest outside the quicksand again

I looked in Sharlayan and the throne room and somehow that didn't occur to me. Thanks.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

BA is a good consistent gil earner if you run BA a couple times a week

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zeruel posted:

I don't think even a roeman could achieve Sam's level of thickness

Dareon posted:

Challenge accepted, once I get some Late Allagan in me. Boy, that's expensive.

Weirdly, just the base Late Allagan Striking, undyed, does a real decent Jetstream Sam. I tried putting Snow White on and it greyed it down too far, and no way am I shelling out for Pure White. Blood Red on an Ironworks katana is the best I can manage at this stage, but it works decently. No headgear, because all the masks visor down from the top, not in from the sides.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

S.J. posted:

Sorry if I missed a post about this, but I assume the current relic step isn't better than a 620 ilvl weapon? I figured we'd have to wait to get to 5 slots or custom stats before they start to become preferred over the 5 ilvls.

It's better than the 620 weapon for healers, but the ex weapon already was so no surprise there

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Managed to get to the second boss of rear end and I'm already a huge fan of the entire thing. It's awesome that they are producing interesting four player content that isn't just the normal dungeons, and doing both the variant dungeon and criterion dungeon has been a treat so far. Bosses are awesome and they even made trash interesting. I was never as happy as when we managed to clear some trash mobs in the section after the first boss of rear end, because it felt like a mini-puzzle. Just great stuff all around.

Edit: I'm also glad that rear end (or SASS) does not have any loot/BIS implications as well, I enjoy doing content for the sake of it.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 20, 2022

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

My primary concern with rear end is that the lack of reward will mean it's popular for a week or two and then suddenly nobody is doing it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

At least it will be easier to wrangle 4 people together rather than 8. I'm kinda glad that there is challenging 4 player content now.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

i think it is a dry run before we see the format used other places. if there isn't a later relic step that either ties in to the current v/c or a new one i am going to be disappointed

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mainwaring posted:

My primary concern with rear end is that the lack of reward will mean it's popular for a week or two and then suddenly nobody is doing it.

I think the BArsenal and solo PotD runs show that it's not gonna be too bad; if it's fun and there's at least some bait on that hook to get people to look its way, people will do it. The low required player count is good too, but... hey, look at the BArsenal, if the content is unique and fun enough people will turn up in droves anyway.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah I remember trying to get into one of those scheduled BA runs and it was literally 5 seconds between the private PFs going up and them all getting filled, it was wild.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mordiceius posted:

New thread title is v good

Agreed.

As for the longterm viability of the VSS and rear end, the rewards that you can buy from the vendor in Old Sharlayan can be put on the Market Board, including the Noir outfit, the /wow emote, and the throne mount. So presumably there will be people still farming to buy those and toss them up the MB for people who haven't made it to the EW patch content or who just don't feel like grinding out the content themselves.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

I nearly forgot to pick up the new emote from the vendor after the whole spooky questline. Now I can eat a pumpkin cookie!

And also manage to look like I'm pondering something trivial.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

You really should do DoL/DoH quests for the skills before leveling them. If you don't then later you will get the skills and have a horrible realization how useful they would have been when leveling up.

The storylines are ok too.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

How do I make money

See what intermediate crafts are needed for the Diadem. Cloud Mica Whetstones move quickly.

Look up the list of turn-ins for crafter quests in the 40-60 range. Make and sell those and HQ versions of their intermediate crafts.

Run around doing normal quests that have HQ gear rewards, sell the gear.

Do HW and StB hunts. Join a hunt train discord and do a few hunt trains. Exchange the seals for aetherite tickets. Stop spending money on teleports, that poo poo adds up.

If you're willing to put some money and risk in:

Find stuff that sells on your server for 120% or more than on the cheapest server. Buy and resell. Universalis helps as a baseline for ideas but don't trust it. Gear will have bigger margins but sell less often with a bigger up front cost. Materia moves quickly but has lots of sellers with a fluctuating price.

Find a market and corner it. Drive the price of some small obscure thing way up on all servers. Like if Holy Basil is selling for 24 gil, buy every piece on every server you can that sells for less than 200 and sell them at 200. If you get undercut, buy it right away and resell it at 200 or more. You would be eating a 15% loss on those in the 170-199 range, but you're setting the new price and hoping the ones you bought in the 24-169 range make up for that. This is easier if you coordinate with a group, but can be done solo with some smarts and luck.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 20, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Old fashioned lunkhead WoW AH baron approach here. It's more of a long term "no think, just daily checklist point" thing but I ignored levies (as I didn't understand or bother to look at them) for awhile and honestly just preferred having access to mass mats and casual AH flipping as I finished 80-90 on DoH, including flipping the mats for profits later. There was some money burning to power level a few stubborn fields like Alchemy but I figure that just makes me even more profitable, likely lifetime 30-40m+ made from "burning" money leveling Omni or my own 6 digit glam purchases. From 70 onwards there are a lot of individual glam items that'll sell for 20-40k+ and a few that can spike to 70k+, though you want to try to hit a sweet spot of listing an individual piece that sells fast at a reasonable undercut. The funny bit is these are usually on vendors but the prices spike to 35k+ as you advance in the expacs, so spending 15k to make three copies of an item you sell for 30k, which the buyer considers a bargain vs 36k on the vendor.. yeah, it works. It worked out well for my approach of trying to craft one of each item in the recipe list and now that I'm familiar with the popular items I can just grab bulk mats for 10-20k total and pop out 2-5 items for pure profit.

Hitting 80-90 gets you a skill that gives you free 100% quality on lowbie items which can up the appeal of glam pieces as they can also be bought by people that use them to level buuut it doesn't matter that much. NQ/HQ doesn't affect a glam so my NQs sold just fine compared to the HQs of the barons/bots.

And hey, now I'm Omni 90 in case I want a glam piece and I can skip the 75% mark up and just make it myself with some market board clicks.My profits? Not outrageous but I think a modest Omni like myself is doing well if they can put in 16m medium house bids to be disappointed by losing in a few days. :clint:

If I was more aggressively doing it I could even get disappointed by Larges, if any ever went up...

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 20, 2022

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Yeah I remember trying to get into one of those scheduled BA runs and it was literally 5 seconds between the private PFs going up and them all getting filled, it was wild.

if you haven't gotten a clear, you can DM the run lead letting them know it's your first time (or you play on console and it's impossible for you to enter the PF password in time) and they'll usually put you in somewhere early. aside from that, signing up as a party lead (easy), a perceptor (very easy), or joining a FFA as a healer are ways to guarantee you a spot in a group.

of course, it's not perfect.... but delubrum savage is 😎

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I got my Ozma on the first run of it that I ever did, so I'm good. It was really fun though and I really recommend people try it. I do want to do DRS at some point and get the mount for that as well at some point.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've been told by several people who've tried that to do BA that the Discord that "owns" all the BA runs on Aether rejects all first-timers. You've got to be a friend of a friend on my datacenter, basically

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FuturePastNow posted:

I've been told by several people who've tried that to do BA that the Discord that "owns" all the BA runs on Aether rejects all first-timers. You've got to be a friend of a friend on my datacenter, basically

Seems like a great way to make sure the content dies

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

my experience is limited to primal, which in the runs I've joined over the years has been accepting of newbies

maybe

maybe aether sucks rear end

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I did my runs on the Chaos DC discord and it was absolutely fine, and they actually try to make sure newbies get places if they miss out on a spot. I think they used to schedule non-new player runs as well, but the majority of the runs were open to new players and the entire culture seemed to be centred around trying to get as many people to have the Ozma mount as possible.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I've run BA with both primal and crystal communities and they're very friendly and happy to help first timers. CAFE literally has people racing to give newbies the kirin/vermilion mats for free if they need them.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
flatluigi expresses true wisdom but I will probably follow the other ideas. I just started looking at Diadem because I think it can get me sky scrips that save me the gil on Craftsman pants and shoes. Good to hear it can find me more gil. Thanks everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The local BA discord for the JP datacenter EN-speaking community actually only does newbie training runs a couple of times a week, because most BA runs are just done with 0 background organisation, it's all pugs.