Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not a Silent Hill fan but there's definitely fans of Origins from what I've seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

acksplode posted:

Meta's pro headset is that expensive bc it's loaded with AR features that no other headset has, since it's for office workers. PSVR2 spec wise is looking like a slightly fancier Quest 2 that offloads rendering to a PS5. I'm a little concerned too but I still think there's no way it goes past Quest 2's recently bumped MSRP.

Totally forgot it didn’t need compute and battery on the device. I could see $499 minimum, except a duel sense with back paddles is $200, and this has two of em!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Totally forgot it didn’t need compute and battery on the device. I could see $499 minimum, except a duel sense with back paddles is $200, and this has two of em!

$999

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Arist posted:

I'm not a Silent Hill fan but there's definitely fans of Origins from what I've seen

It takes all kinds of freaks to make the world spin, but Origins was a mobile game (???) that began the curse of SH sequels hewing way too close to SH2 and failing to recapture its magic. I mean Shattered Memories has its fans too.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

it's not even the silent hills thing

i knew, probably most of us knew, that it was going to be pretentious. then hideo got his chance to flesh out his current creative ideas with death stranding and look, it's a nice looking game, some of it's atmo is cool, but it's basically a 500 million dollar pile of poo poo.

maybe what hideo had planned for silent hills was killer, maybe not, who knows, but it obviously wasn't exactly silent hill. combine that with the series of absolute trash tier games made since shattered memories, which ruled, and you have a thing which is a ghost of itself.

which is the perfect theme for a new silent hill game, some kind of spectral revival as the town gradually asserts its over a few or one unfortunate individual after a period of dormancy. or y'know, something like that, something to try and drag this lifeless corpse at least back to the vicinity of sh2

but instead what we're getting is SILENT HILL 2: REMAKE just like re2 wow that'll work and sh: townfall the dumbest loving word i ever heard in this context.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i'm a fan.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Is Origins not the PSP one?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Death Stranding is good

acksplode
May 17, 2004

roomtone posted:

death stranding...basically a 500 million dollar pile of poo poo.

You lost me

Arist posted:

Is Origins not the PSP one?

Yeah it's the PSP one

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Like, the story is whatever, but the core gameplay in that game is really cool

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

haha

https://twitter.com/CallistoTheGame/status/1582510201898299392?cxt=HHwWgMCj2ZypmvYrAAAA

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Death Stranding would be much improved by not having any combat. As it is, it's not For Me, but that's okay, I think. I like that things that aren't For Me exist. Lots of stuff that is for me exists, too! Things is better in all cases than Not Things even if Things don't age well or suck outright. More stuff means more cool stuff.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Nice. Callisto Protocol is potentially looking like a sleeper hit this year.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Casnorf posted:

Death Stranding would be much improved by not having any combat. As it is, it's not For Me, but that's okay, I think. I like that things that aren't For Me exist. Lots of stuff that is for me exists, too! Things is better in all cases than Not Things even if Things don't age well or suck outright. More stuff means more cool stuff.
The only way Death Stranding could possibly work without full on combat is if getting detected/assaulted by BTs was an auto-death instead of a combat cue, and the boss fights would have to be more survival oriented. But a peaceful walking simulator would not at all be Death Stranding. That said, a peaceful walking simulator with basically the same delivery, building, and strand mechanics as Death Stranding does sound awesome.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

silent fail

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Death Stranding rules what the hell.

Silent Hill f is apparently by a guy who does visual novels. So, I wonder if it’s a traditional game or just a narrative experience with big budget (for the genre) cg. I’m not really into visual novels, but it looks pretty enough that I’d give it a shake, if that’s what it is.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I know a lot of bad has been said of bloober but it appear the medium is free on ps plus. I'm aware of the horrific story but is it at all worth playing lol

I only played for about two hours (horror just isn’t my thing), but it accurately recreated the gloomy grayness of 90s post-communist Poland. Except for the English translation of interactable items, the opening apartment felt like I was going back in time. But idk if it’s something others would appreciate.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Death Stranding was one of like five games that brought tears to my eyes out of genuine, actual emotion. It is a different game, certainly, than anything else played. With that said, those differences make it a unique and fascinating saga that really really takes the player places. I think it is, and always will be, in my top five games I’ve ever played. I have played it and nearly 100%‘d it twice and I never once regretted a minute of the gameplay. Few games mix peace, tranquility, tension, combat, and personal trauma while also connecting players together in such a strange and unique way. By the end of the game the player has built a life story of self actualization, a world spanning transit and delivery system, a child, a country, and connections with tens of hundreds of other players. Name one other game that does that.

Ok I’ll stop Casnorf’ing now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

Death Stranding was one of like five games that brought tears to my eyes out of genuine, actual emotion. It is a different game, certainly, than anything else played. With that said, those differences make it a unique and fascinating saga that really really takes the player places. I think it is, and always will be, in my top five games I’ve ever played. I have played it and nearly 100%‘d it twice and I never once regretted a minute of the gameplay. Few games mix peace, tranquility, tension, combat, and personal trauma while also connecting players together in such a strange and unique way. By the end of the game the player has built a life story of self actualization, a world spanning transit and delivery system, a child, a country, and connections with tens of hundreds of other players. Name one other game that does that.

Ok I’ll stop Casnorf’ing now.

I like you. :3:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kojima spent months crowing about how he had essentially invented a new genre and then sort of accomplished it

that alone is enough to have made death stranding exceptional, the fact that it was really good to play was just a bonus

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

After reading and watching the videos about this new pro edge controller. Ok, hear me out, but it very well might be worth $200. It not only does everything the elite controller codes but it has replaceable thumb sticks (which are the most common failure point w/ stick drift) and the tech inside there to make these easily swappable must be a bit nuts. It has several different paddle types and arrangements, one or two of which I’ve never seen on an elite controller. It has volume and other controls built in, and those weird programming buttons can probably be used for all sorts of quick binding changes when playing games (think elite dangerous or other hardcore sims or top down 4x games with tons of different controls for different scenarios). All in a package that’s primo quality and not rickety like SCUF, backed by Sony warranty and delivering the best haptics in the industry. $170 would be a steal. A sharp $200 seems like the better price. Opportunity cost still takes it on the nose though, most players won’t feel like they need all this at that cost. But for anyone that does buy it (just based on my experience using a scuf controller) it absolutely will markedly elevate their gaming and enjoyment.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

they should remake Deadly Creatures for the Wii (the southern-fried crime caper from the POV of a regular tarantula and a regular snake just going about their day as a Coen Brothers movie plays out over their heads) instead of some foggy mess of a PS2 sequel.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I assume stick swapping doesn’t include the on-pcb internals, which is the where the parts that wear with use are. That’s what causes drift.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

After reading and watching the videos about this new pro edge controller. Ok, hear me out, but it very well might be worth $200. It not only does everything the elite controller codes but it has replaceable thumb sticks (which are the most common failure point w/ stick drift) and the tech inside there to make these easily swappable must be a bit nuts. It has several different paddle types and arrangements, one or two of which I’ve never seen on an elite controller. It has volume and other controls built in, and those weird programming buttons can probably be used for all sorts of quick binding changes when playing games (think elite dangerous or other hardcore sims or top down 4x games with tons of different controls for different scenarios). All in a package that’s primo quality and not rickety like SCUF, backed by Sony warranty and delivering the best haptics in the industry. $170 would be a steal. A sharp $200 seems like the better price. Opportunity cost still takes it on the nose though, most players won’t feel like they need all this at that cost. But for anyone that does buy it (just based on my experience using a scuf controller) it absolutely will markedly elevate their gaming and enjoyment.

if it has better battery life i'll get one because i'm an idiot

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bloodychill posted:

Nice. Callisto Protocol is potentially looking like a sleeper hit this year.

Veni gonna be in heaven with all these space horror games coming out

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Shrecknet posted:

they should remake Deadly Creatures for the Wii (the southern-fried crime caper from the POV of a regular tarantula and a regular snake just going about their day as a Coen Brothers movie plays out over their heads) instead of some foggy mess of a PS2 sequel.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

the death stranding support is surprising me here

i played that game and i mean - it wasn't boring, but i was in awe of how absurd and basically empty it's entire ethos was, i couldn't understand how a man could commit himself to this vision. lore concept upon lore concept, relating to either nothing/itself or a completely zoned out idea of what america is

mgs i got - it's silly special agent thriller stuff on the surface, but underneath there's a core of a broken man and a peace message and the awakening of his and his friends' emotional life.

in death stranding i got none of that. i got lore and absurd plot twists that veered into kingdom hearts territory, with hours of walking through admittedly gorgeous locations with decent music playing but he didn't make any of that, he just adopted it. and then all of the cast are the best semi-prestiege actors and filmmakers he could rope in with whatever slack he had in the budget. it's pure pretension, with no charm.

this isn't a word i ever really use but the only accurate description i have of death stranding is complete wank

funny? yeah, good? jesus christ

roomtone fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 20, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Death Stranding succeeds mechanically in spite of all of its many laughable and bad things. Either the package delivery obstacle course clicks with you enough or it doesn't.

The story is infuriating because there is the setup for a significantly better story that doesn't happen at the end.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Rinkles posted:

I assume stick swapping doesn’t include the on-pcb internals, which is the where the parts that wear with use are. That’s what causes drift.

It looks like it’s the entire stick bundle. Like an entire cube of hardware (not just the stick) just comes out with a click. It’s kind of rad. I also didn’t mention the tuneable dead zones and sensitivities. Xbox does this via an app, which was always weird for me to use because switching back and forth between game and app to “get it right” is not great. But this ps5 controller does it all on the controller. I think this will be much, much better.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

roomtone posted:

the death stranding support is surprising me here

i played that game and i mean - it wasn't boring, but i was in awe of how absurd and basically empty it's entire ethos was, i couldn't understand how a man could commit himself to this vision. lore concept upon lore concept, relating to either nothing/itself or a completely zoned out idea of what america is

mgs i got - it's silly special agent thriller stuff on the surface, but underneath there's a core of a broken man and a peace message and the awakening of his and his friends' emotional life.

in death stranding i got none of that. i got lore and absurd plot twists that veered into kingdom hearts territory, with hours of walking through admittedly gorgeous locations with decent music playing but he didn't make any of that, he just adopted it. and then all of the cast are the best semi-prestiege actors and filmmakers he could rope in with whatever slack he had in the budget. it's pure pretension, with no charm.

this isn't a word i ever really use but the only accurate description i have of death stranding is complete wank

funny? yeah, good? jesus christ

it’s about being a single father while working the world’s shittiest job op

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Guillermo del toro is my dad. Léa Seydoux is my ps5 wife. Fragile but not fragile fight me fucko.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

It looks like it’s the entire stick bundle. Like an entire cube of hardware (not just the stick) just comes out with a click. It’s kind of rad. I also didn’t mention the tuneable dead zones and sensitivities. Xbox does this via an app, which was always weird for me to use because switching back and forth between game and app to “get it right” is not great. But this ps5 controller does it all on the controller. I think this will be much, much better.

I totally missed that. Yeah the announcement blog post calls out both swappable caps and fully replaceable sticks. Ok that makes me slightly less grumpy about having to buy this thing for back buttons. Slightly. Wonder how much a replacement stick will cost lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

acksplode posted:

I totally missed that. Yeah the announcement blog post calls out both swappable caps and fully replaceable sticks. Ok that makes me slightly less grumpy about having to buy this thing for back buttons. Slightly. Wonder how much a replacement stick will cost lol

They said 20 bucks

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

it’s about being a single father while working the world’s shittiest job op

maybe in a deny everything that happens in the game except the most high level distant interpretation kind of way

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Death Stranding was The Definitive Covid Videogame™

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i only really played ffvii remake, which is awful and last of us 2, which is excellent, during covid. and all i really remember in terms of Big Gaming Convos besides the hilarious anti-trans nonsense against abby, who isn't trans, is the boys at GB being like 'man is this really what the world needs right now' about last of us 2's cool sad story. that was my gaming covid zone. ffvii disappointment and i should have known followed by last of us 1 is fine not my fave into whoah this game is good for part 2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

I'm really liking the art design of Silent Hill F. It doesn't look much like any of the previous games, but that's probably a good thing. Does anyone know anything about Ryukishi07? Seems like he has a lot of fans.
hes a very indie guy. he was like 35 and he couldnt draw but he wrote a mystery horror visual novel, higurashi, about a small japanese town slowly going mad. he released it in parts at an indie art convention in japan, comiket, for 100 yen a part, and he'd give free copies of the sequels to people who emailed him their reviews of the first game. it got very very popular and got an anime. the sequel, umineko, is more a send-up of murder mysteries and locked room stuff than horror.

he's not the world's best writer in a prose sense and he fumbles endings a lot or goes in extremely weird directions with the ideas but hes good at writing characters with complex webs of relationships and how those relationships inform their decisions and thoughts, and higurashi does a good job setting up the tiny town where everyone knows everyone vibe and having that get twisted and corrupted by some kind of mysterious supernatural force preying on everyone's insecurities.

it would be interesting if F is set in a silent hill equivalent before it became full silent hill. like the stuff that's in the backstory of silent hill 1. and the slow twisting of it over time. i think that'd suit his style and would be an interesting direction for a silent hill game to take.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Keighley gets it. Never forget

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1582949532479864832?t=eCT7z6E06xlob6TOiaKycQ&s=19

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
It's weird living in an alternate dimension where PT gets cancelled and we get a Silent Hill 2 remake instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

It's weird living in an alternate dimension where PT gets cancelled and we get a Silent Hill 2 remake instead.

PT's martyrdom inspired many hundreds of apostles to try their hand at hallway horror. Over time one of those apostles, Bloob, revised the scriptures in order to secure their own prominence and enrichment. Today Bloob are known as the official school of PT wisdom and teachings.