Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

Oh yeah, I definitely remember it being considered pretty edgy/transgressive in the 90s. I just had no idea people saying "TS" was a thing :v:

e: I asked my wife what she'd think I meant if I were to say "It'll be TS for them!". Her reply: "The Simpsons?" :discourse:

The Simpsons even acknowledged it pretty early on:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I never quite got the hubbub about it. No one I knew cared about The Simpsons or thought it was some moral panic. Maybe that's just living in a fairly blue state or something?

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

There was no iPhone 3. There was the iPhone 3G, which was actually the second iPhone model. The third iPhone model was the iPhone 3GS.
:goonsay:

the 3g and the 3gs were peak iphone body design. blobby little rectangle guys

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

I had a classmate say he was banned from watching because the ONE time he convinced his parents to let him watch, it was the season 4 episode "A Streetcar Named Marge" and they happened to overhear this moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aE-5xCrEeQ

though I was legit surprised that made it to air myself

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My household was Christian, but not in the socially performative way. I can't think of any banned media. Beavis & Butthead was a favorite of my mom and my dad played Wolfenstein for me because I was too scared. :3:

Definitely had friends who couldn't watch The Simpsons, though. Also had friends who thought "Shut up!" and "Oh, my god!" were swears.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Das Boo posted:

My household was Christian, but not in the socially performative way. I can't think of any banned media. Beavis & Butthead was a favorite of my mom and my dad played Wolfenstein for me because I was too scared. :3:

My household was entirely secular and relatively un-conservative in general, but my mom banned Beavis & Butthead after she overheard me say "nads". I promised I wouldn't say it anymore and that I didn't know it was a bad word (which was entirely true), but she didn't unban it and by the time I was old enough for it, I'd sort of grown out of the humor.

The Simpsons were cool though.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Raised by relatively permissive Catholics, and not only did they let me watch The Simpsons, my dad taped every episode. Meanwhile my best friend at the time definitely was not allowed to watch it. His family didn't even own a TV for a long time.

A few years ago there was a great article on Megan Phelps-Roper, who grew up in Westboro Baptist Church, but gradually unlearned what they taught her and left it. The most surprising thing about it for me was that Westboro didn't control their kids' media whatsoever. They went to public school, read Stephen King, watched TV, just like everybody else. They were so assured in their beliefs that they didn't consider any of it a threat. It's just that part of what made Megan leave was that she loved the movie Clueless, and was devastated when Brittany Murphy died.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i enjoyed the simpsons as a little boy. i was young then and the show was good. now im old and the show is very bad.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Only shows I was told I couldn't watch were South Park and Ren & Stimpy but I guess the Simpsons was more accepted in 2000

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
At some point my dad suddenly stopped letting me watch the simpsons for years. I still don't know what the sudden change was. It wasn't like he decided while any particular episode was on or anything. Then years later, he called me to ask if I wanted to go see the movie. I think it was opening week too. I also have no idea what made him want to do that either.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
In the early 90s there was an Uncle Buck TV series that created some controversy because a character said, "You suck!" at a time when Bart Simpson was already saying "I'm Bart Simpson, who the hell are you?"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Years before the movie sounds like an early/mid-teen season, maybe he just had good taste

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

man i remember growing up with friends who couldn't watch certain shows... that's such a foreign concept to the way I was raised, one time my cousin came to stay with around xmas and we watched one of our favorite movies -- a rated r gory horror film. poor fucker had horrible nightmares and my aunt was pissed

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I had two different friends from very religious families who couldn't watch The Simpsons, specifically because of the scene where Bart is asked to say Grace and says "Dear God, we paid for all this stuff ourselves so thanks for nothing!" Which was season 2 - "two cars in every garage and three eyes on every fish"

My dad wasn't keen on me watching it but didn't ban me from it either. He had a knack for always walking in at the most "vulgar" scenes. I specifically remember him walking in on Homer screaming "drat you Walt Freakin' Whitman! Leaves of Grass my rear end!" and being like "Oh, REAL cute, I'm glad you're watching such intelligent material." Pretty annoying because even back then at 11/12 years old I knew it was more intelligent than most TV at the time.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

The problem is that the early 2000s sucked. There's nothing interesting or iconic about the fashion, music, or sociopolitical environment. I was a late teen / early 20s kid during that era. There's nothing I'm nostalgic about aside from that being before I was a balding middle age guy with a bad back.

True, but the 80s began and ended with recessions and crime rates were 3x higher than in the 2000s. Wholesome family sitcoms remained dominant then because people sought TV as a form of escapism, to see what their real lives were missing.

But when the Simpsons debuted it was the first mainstream animated series to say even tame cuss words like "drat", Bart was an overnight rebel icon for kids and president Bush sr himself named the Simpsons as an example of decaying family values

That was just the start of the 90s, but by the end of the 90s there were even edgier cartoons taking off, the wholesome family sitcom was dead and replaced with Malcolm in the Middle. Dysfunctional TV families became the new standard and the Simpsons remained as a parody of a genre that no longer existed

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
I never knew anyone growing up who wasn't allowed to watch The Simpsons, or who would cop to it at least, but I did have a friend who went to a Catholic School who wasn't allowed to watch Power Rangers because it was 'too violent' and wasn't allowed to play Shadowgate on the NES because it gave him nightmares.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

je1 healthcare posted:

True, but the 80s began and ended with recessions and crime rates were 3x higher than in the 2000s. Wholesome family sitcoms remained dominant then because people sought TV as a form of escapism, to see what their real lives were missing.

But when the Simpsons debuted it was the first mainstream animated series to say even tame cuss words like "drat", Bart was an overnight rebel icon for kids and president Bush sr himself named the Simpsons as an example of decaying family values

That was just the start of the 90s, but by the end of the 90s there were even edgier cartoons taking off, the wholesome family sitcom was dead and replaced with Malcolm in the Middle. Dysfunctional TV families became the new standard and the Simpsons remained as a parody of a genre that no longer existed

But the conversation was "Why isn't there a 2000s nostalgia sitcom right now?", not "Why was the Simpsons a phenomenon in the late 80s?", so I'm not following where this reply fits in.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

JediTalentAgent posted:

In the early 90s there was an Uncle Buck TV series that created some controversy because a character said, "You suck!" at a time when Bart Simpson was already saying "I'm Bart Simpson, who the hell are you?"

You're mixing things up. That show was called Uncle Suck

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Sneed's Feed & Seed.
Formerly Uncle Buck's

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
My parents didn't let us watch the Simpsons, and to this day, I don't know why. After it was no longer forbidden, my dad still claims he hates it and thinks it's stupid, but yet the classic Simpsons are one of the few television shows that can actually make him laugh.

For whatever reason, Grandpa saying "my retinas detached" was comic gold for my father.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is something else that was perceived as more profane back then because it was thought to imply oral sex "You suck (dick)". Not sure if that origin was ever really true or if it has been totally lost in the years since.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sentient Data posted:

Years before the movie sounds like an early/mid-teen season, maybe he just had good taste

"Homer just keeps getting stupider every season. You aren't watching this poo poo."

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Hrist posted:

"Homer just keeps getting stupider every season."

That's not a question, dad!

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Cemetry Gator posted:

My parents didn't let us watch the Simpsons, and to this day, I don't know why.

growing up there were certain shows that were banned on certain TVs, i.e., if my mom had to be in the room we couldn't watch Family Guy or most Adult Swim stuff but that was mostly because she found it annoying and idiotic, she was fine with us consuming that garbage if she didn't have to endure it

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I just assumed everyone watched the Simpsons in the afternoon after school but before their parents got home.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Do the parents in this thread allow their kids to watch the current Simpsons? I'd assume no, but moreso because of it being terrible and not wanting to risk finding out your kids find it funny.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

je1 healthcare posted:

yeah its interesting to see whats edgy and then it becomes normal. like south park and family guy are main stream and all kids of adult swim and indie animated poo poo would make the 80s conservatives legit stroke out from moral panic.

PostNouveau posted:

This is something else that was perceived as more profane back then because it was thought to imply oral sex "You suck (dick)". Not sure if that origin was ever really true or if it has been totally lost in the years since.

yeah, the implication was worse back then, now. what i find interesting is the GOP has been slinking back into the moral majority bullshit harder again, so lol if we see chuds ranting about cartoons again like the bad old days.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

But the conversation was "Why isn't there a 2000s nostalgia sitcom right now?", not "Why was the Simpsons a phenomenon in the late 80s?", so I'm not following where this reply fits in.

Probably too early, right now we're in the 90s nostalgia wave. I think it's just that the people from that era need to grow up a bit and get into the industry, and then they'll make tons of throwbacks to their childhood days.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I just assumed everyone watched the Simpsons in the afternoon after school but before their parents got home.

I watched the Simpsons with my parents bc they were cool. Married with Children also.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

I watched the Simpsons with my parents bc they were cool. Married with Children also.

yeah it was basically a sunday night ritual here. one of my earliest tv memories is homer falling down the gorge twice

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
we watched it over home cooked dinner at 5 o clock every day for years

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A Catholic buddy lost Simpson privileges after his mom saw the scene when Homer dug around the little pool for his hot dog. Which in retrospect seems more of a “Homer eats gross food” gag than something obscene but if it wasn’t that would have been something else as he was also marched out of a showing of Austin Powers during the hot tub scene.

I remember watching early Simpsons as a family until my parents didn’t like Homer skateboarding into the gorge but fortunately they didn’t mind if it kept watching. Guess I caught a break that the tv wasn’t in a highly supervised area as my dad once called the newspaper when a Foxtrot appeared to endorse shoplifting.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I think my mom watched The Simpsons and I just watched along with her as a toddler as I did with anything she watched (Life Goes On and Murder She Wrote were two other favorites of mine). Had a stuffed Bart toy that was my favorite for a while. Later, Beavis & Butt-Head wasn't allowed but Ren & Stimpy was a household favorite. We fell out of watching The Simpsons until it became my "doing homework background noise" in late middle school which would've been around season 15.

The only friend I remember who had a "you can't watch this" rule was when she got gifted Matilda on VHS and cause it involved magic, her parents wouldn't her watch it but instead of getting rid of it they just kept it on a really high shelf.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
None of you people had as hard a time as me. I was in a tiny private school for 8th grade where there were only 5 of us. Only five kids, in my grade, and we were all 13, and it was 1998, and I was the only one not allowed to watch South Park. Fill in the blanks.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, the implication was worse back then, now. what i find interesting is the GOP has been slinking back into the moral majority bullshit harder again, so lol if we see chuds ranting about cartoons again like the bad old days.

I mean, they already are, but instead of being mad about rude kids and innuendos, they’re mad about black or gay people existing in a cartoon.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I honestly don't remember not being allowed to watch anything outside of the BBFC rating system (ie it was kind of just acknowledged that I wouldn't watch a 15-rated film until I turned 15, although I certainly saw one earlier than that). My parents liked The Simpsons, we used to watch the new ones together on Sunday evening even though it had definitely transitioned into Bad Simpsons by then. They probably didn't approve of some of the other stuff I would usually watch when we had friends over, like Jackass, South Park, Bo Selecta or Eurotrash, but I don't think there were ever any blanket bans. I don't think they gave enough of a poo poo lol. I watched a lot of wrestling when it was arguably at its most crass but they just saw it as the good old campy entertainment it essentially still was.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

iamsosmrt posted:

Do the parents in this thread allow their kids to watch the current Simpsons? I'd assume no, but moreso because of it being terrible and not wanting to risk finding out your kids find it funny.

I'll allow it but its only if we're in a motel or something and the Simpsons are on broadcast TV but I make sure to repeatedly interject about exactly why modern simpsons episodes are dumb and not good.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

No!! If you cement new Simpsons in kids' minds as something parents hate, they'll start to think it's cool!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

womb with a view posted:

No!! If you cement new Simpsons in kids' minds as something parents hate, they'll start to think it's cool!

Just dust off your golden era DVDs and show your kids that.

There was a time about 7 years ago when I was still watching Animation Domination, and when a new episode of The Simpsons came on, I would just watch an episode from the Golden Era instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

What do you think the darkest jokes on the show have been