Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

More importantly Battle Axe has a reverse-repel vacuum effect on its PBAOE and it fuckin rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Those power level shake-ups are huge. I've wanted to be able to skip lovely secondary tier 1s since forever. No more being trapped with Personal Force Field!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh hell yes. These changes are pretty great.
I've always wanted a reason to take MM attacks, especially since the early levels can be kind of a snore.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
On the one Robots MM I have, I love having at least one shot so I can pick off the wounded bastard that's running away without needing to command the herd to chase after it. That and the laser blaster is loving awesome.

I also want to give my thoughts and prayers to the brave souls who are going to need to fix the Mids character builder once this goes into place.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Almost doubling the recharge of burn. Yuck

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

John Murdoch posted:

Those power level shake-ups are huge. I've wanted to be able to skip lovely secondary tier 1s since forever. No more being trapped with Personal Force Field!

yeah this is tremendous, very positive :thumbsup:

Abroham Lincoln posted:

More importantly Battle Axe has a reverse-repel vacuum effect on its PBAOE and it fuckin rules

really good change and I hope they apply this idea to a lot of other mediocre or unpopular powers (telekinesis e.g.)

quote:

Stealth Toggle Exclusivity Removal

also super good

quote:

Power Transfer: No longer boostable.

oof that's a big nerf lol

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 5, 2022

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I noticed they gave at least one axe model to broadsword, maybe they'll give axe a little love with some more models for that pitifully small set?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Soonmot posted:

Almost doubling the recharge of burn. Yuck

Yeah the Fiery Aura changes and Fire Melee ones (plus “fixing” Irradiated Ground and halving its target cap) are oddly spiteful changes for devs who claim to not hate farming yet somehow keep making it harder each patch

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
you can go hideless stalker, for some reason, and if you do this, the ATO proc will still put you back into hide, so, that's an option that you would have now

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I can't imagine I would ever skip it just for it being a very good stealth toggle and also a good place to stick an LOTG piece but yeah I guess!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Soooooo they moved the placed to farm out of Atlas?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

It's okay. It's also in like every other zone.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Potsticker posted:

It's okay. It's also in like every other zone.

That is good to hear at least

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

atlas was the laggiest zone in the game because all of the farming people registered in terms of server load as "in atlas". now there's no obvious default AE building to go to so the load is distributed better

the one in mercy burned down in sympathy with the removal of the atlas location, or so dr. aeon could do some insurance fraud, one of the two

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
In other words there was basically no downside to the ploy.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

Mesadoram posted:

It's Trick or Treat season, there's giant farms in Peregrine Island.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Fearless_Decoy posted:

It's Trick or Treat season, there's giant farms in Peregrine Island.

Neato, I will check that out :unsmith:.

Seems like they nerfed my Rad/Fire brute. Guess I gotta hit the drawing board and figure out a spec to not die quickly :smith:.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
Hey the new patch is out. Illusion control dominators, sentinel and mastermind buffs and more.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Pindakaas posted:

Hey the new patch is out. Illusion control dominators, sentinel and mastermind buffs and more.

Mastermind buffs? Ooo gotta check that out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Have they started up the new name freeing up system, or is it still in warning mode?

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!

Harrow posted:

Have they started up the new name freeing up system, or is it still in warning mode?

Still on phase 1.

Patch Notes

Pindakaas fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 18, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pindakaas posted:

Illusion Dom... my holy grail.

Gonna have choice paralysis on secondary.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Inzombiac posted:

:hmmyes:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Inzombiac posted:

did they finally proliferate Neurodivergence

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

LordSaturn posted:

did they finally proliferate Neurodivergence

Nah, that's some homebrew my parents made for me.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Forget secondaries- I need a name, STAT!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Back on Live there was a group that all had the same costume (one of the Phantom Army people) and the name Parallel Illusion but using lowercase L and uppercase i to make variations that all looked the same to most folks.

They'd run around spamming Phantom Army and nothing else.

It was very cool.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

I am enjoying 95% of the changes, but with my Bots/Poison MM (I took Poison because it was the closest thing to chemistry back at CoV launch) I'm noticing that my Protector Bots keep running out of endurance. A respec is going to be a pain since there's no updated Mids that I can find, and otherwise I'm going to either have to switch my Alpha or Destiny incarnate thing to fix it. Ah well.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cardiac Alpha isn't exactly terrible.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Any helpful guides for all the post-50 stuff? It’s not making a ton of sense in-game and damned if I can stand to read in-game pop-ups for more than about 3 seconds even if it is explained well.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Potsticker posted:

I'm 50, what do I do now? A hopefully as clear as possible explanation of the Incarnate system for people who never did this confusing poo poo back in the day.

This should still hold up

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Fearless_Decoy posted:

I am enjoying 95% of the changes, but with my Bots/Poison MM (I took Poison because it was the closest thing to chemistry back at CoV launch) I'm noticing that my Protector Bots keep running out of endurance. A respec is going to be a pain since there's no updated Mids that I can find, and otherwise I'm going to either have to switch my Alpha or Destiny incarnate thing to fix it. Ah well.

It was that way before. One endredux solves the problem. Even half an endredux from a set is often enough

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Gynovore posted:

It was that way before. One endredux solves the problem. Even half an endredux from a set is often enough

Good to know know :hmmyes:.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Potsticker posted:

This should still hold up

Thanks! That made some amount of sense and I think I can tinker with it more confidently now.

I’m amused at what effort we went through to get Hamidon enhancements and how they still kinda sucked compared to this. They’ve been good stewards of this game.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

Gynovore posted:

Hrm. I've got 4 bits of Expedited Reinforcement in the Pro-Bot power itself (for 47% or so End Redux) and and level 50 End Redux IO in each of the upgrades. They're certainly shooting poo poo a whole lot faster and more often than they did last week, and this is with them not using their heals. Time for some theory crafting build fuckery once I get home.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Hrm. I've got 4 bits of Expedited Reinforcement in the Pro-Bot power itself (for 47% or so End Redux) and and level 50 End Redux IO in each of the upgrades. They're certainly shooting poo poo a whole lot faster and more often than they did last week, and this is with them not using their heals. Time for some theory crafting build fuckery once I get home.

Sticking endredux into the upgrade powers does nothing. (It reduces the end cost of *you* summoning the pets, but that's a non-issue.)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

-=( How to Speedrun a New Character )=-

Part 1 - The Tutorial

This is a guide for how to quickly get a new character the very basics and some advice and my own preferences with getting a character ready to start actually playing the game. With the Trick or Treating event I've especially made a bunch of new characters to try out powersets given that you can get a character near or to level 30 in like an hour.

First off, I like to start all my characters doing the Galaxy City tutorial. This isn't necessary and hurts the "speedrun," but I like being able to fix my UI and do whatever else I need to before getting to the "real" game.

This is usually where I start with the UI, Moving the compass more centrally on the screen, with the target window to the side. Enhancements go in the upper left and inspirations get separated. I also make sure to give myself three bars for buttons so I can start organizing right away.

With that out of the way, let's use our powers and kill two Shivans that are right here to follow the tutorial.

Next you go to this npc and get this choice. Choose Hero. Even if you're going to be a villain or whatever. Unless it's vitally important to your sense of RP (and like, no judgement if that's the case) that your character never touch any hero side anything.

And then we get to this NPC. This is the P2W vendor and is extremely important. There's another one later if you're not doing the Galaxy City tutorial that I'll show off too, but this one we'll use to demonstrate what you want to pick up.

Pick the last option here.

Then navigate to Prestige Powers > Attacks. You want to pick up three attacks here. Sands of Mu, Undead Slaying Axe, and EITHER Nemesis Staff or Blackwand. These three powers will help give you buttons to push while you're still a baby character and can have niche applications even later in a character's life.

Each of these has two versions, one that says (Origin Bonus) and one that says (No Bonus). To keep it simple if your character is a Natural then you get to pick from either Origin Bonus power, but if you're a Mutant or Magic Origin then you pick the Origin Bonus Blackwand or the No Bonus Nemesis Staff. Technology or Science you pick the Origin Bonus Nemesis Staff or the No Bonus Blackwand.

Next under Prestige Powers > Travel > Jump you want to pick one of these two powers. I largely default to Jump Pack as the Steam Jump is a big ugly rusty backpack, but if that fits your character or you like that graphic better, there's functionally no difference between them.

Going down a bit to Movement you want to pick one of these three powers. They're like a better Sprint and help you move faster and jump higher. Again, the differences are largely visual. Beast Run makes your character run on all fours, Ninja Run makes you a Naruto and Athletic Run is like Ninja Run but you're not in the high school anime club any more.

Under Prestige Powers > Utility > Buff Powers I like to take Mystic Fortune here. It's something you can only give to other people that gives them a small buff. It seems like good manners to give this to people on your team whenever you play with other people and if you're lucky, they'll return the favor.

Finally, most important of all is to turn on Double XP. You don't get any Influence (money) with this on, but you won't really need it, especially with how little influence new characters get.

Go ahead and slam pick this eight times because it stacks and you can always refresh it later at any P2W vendor. If you check the Info of the power from your Powers menu, you can see exactly how much time you have left.

This doesn't work if you use the icon in your buff bar, it won't show you the time left there.

Next talk to this chap, choose your level 2 power and walk into the Looney Tunes tunnel behind them.

This is the boring part that kills the speedrun if you're doing the Galaxy City tutorial. You need to clear the area of Shivans then this big one appears and you have to constantly use powers on it to get the bar to decrease. Actual damage done doesn't matter.

When that's all done you get teleported here and it's off to Atlas Park after you talk with Back Alley Brawler here.

Part 2 - Atlas Park

If you skipped the tutorial, this is also where you end up. What we're going to do now is get an extremely useful teleport power and some starting influence.

The P2W vendor is right up the stairs to the left if you need her.

Turn on your Sprint + Running Power (Beast, Ninja or Athletics) and head south, to this building here, click the door and enter inside.

Indoors, head up the stairs to the left.

And right in front of these doors is the first badge. We need to collect all of these in Atlas Park.

Head back outside and hit the jump power you picked up from the P2W vendor. This normally is a big globe, but because it's October it's a giant pumpkin instead. We want to get to the very top.

Holding down the jump button is basically like flying. The next badge is at the top of the globe pumpkin.

Then we jump down to the top of city hall near the flag for another badge. And see that guy on the left? That's our next destination.

There's a badge right in front of him. After getting it, let's go around to the front of City Hall and walk in the front door.

This will give our Jump power time to recharge.

Inside CIty Hall there's a statue right to our left.

Badge Get. Now let's go to the right side of the building.

Right through this entry way.

We want to go in the D.A.T.A. area.

And stand here for another badge! Now let's get out of City Hall.

Going to the side, if you look towards Wentworths there's a building right behind it that we want to get to. Our Jump power should be recharged so I usually hit it now and head over. It lasts me for the next two badges when I'm doing things fast, but if you're just learning the route you don't really need it for the second badge.

Here's the first one on the building, then we turn to the west.

And head this way. Hopefully you've noticed I kept the map open this entire time to help show the route!

The last badge is right here, halfway up the building. You don't need the jump power active if you leap from the nearby overpass.

Getting all the badges will give you a couple of things, including Reward Merits which can be used to buy Enhancement Converters. You can use /AH to bring up the Auction House and put those up for 70k each which will net you some nice starting cash for when you actually need it. Enhancement Boosters are apparently the better choice for money making these days, going for about 1 to 1.1 million influence a piece.

The other thing you get is the Long Range Teleporter. I usually dump that off my bar right away for the other power you get, Fast Travel which is a single button that collects all your teleporting powers together. The cool thing about Long Range Teleporter is you can go to any zone which you have found at least one exploration badge in. So let's get some very helpful easy to get exploration badges.

Let's head over here. See these two trucks suspiciously close to each other? The far one has a bunch of flyers pasted on it with some lying on the ground. Clicking on the back door to the truck will take you to Pocket D.

Pocket D is a nexus to a lot of other zones and a way to swap between hero and villain sides, plus there's a lot of useful stuff here. If we go into this hall here...

And up this ramp...

We can get a badge here and now we can teleport to Pocket D with our Long Range Teleporter!

Also important is this guy here. Null the Gull. Talking to this fine feathered friend you can instantly change between being a hero or villain (or vigilante or rogue) and do things like auto-accept Mystic Fortune or disable the pop-up tray that appears when you use some travel powers. If you want to be a villain, this is where you stop. I'm going to run through one more badge for heroes or people who want more access to heroside areas.

Leaving Pocket D we want to use this exit, to Talos Island.

A quick left after leaving, I usually activate the Jump Power here to avoid any possibility of ground mobs aggroing because I'm still level 2.

We want to head towards the tram, but our destination is this hill to the left.

And our badge for Talos Island. Now we can teleport back here. This is a pretty good nexus spot for heroside. You teleport in right next to the tram station and there's a boat to Peregrine Island. Very nice.

And we finish by taking the tram back to Atlas Park or, since it's October, heading to Peregrine Island to join the Trick or Treating mob for tons of easy levels.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 20, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The compass is supposed to be dead center by default but some kind of long-standing hiccup fucks with it. This annoys me to no end because there's no simple way to perfectly center it. :argh: And even if you do get it there, there's another issue that makes the text shift to one side all wrong. :argh::argh:

They also sometimes work weird but in the options you can save files of you keybind and window settings and load them between characters. Only annoyance is that custom UI and text colors are included, so if you like to get fancy it can be an extra hassle.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 20, 2022

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, there's some settings in the menu I like to change for each character like the color tint. It's part of that process when I first log in to Galaxy City and do UI setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

how is it that alleged powergamers miss buying a full stack of grenade/taser from P2W right at level 1, they're two very good AOE powers and nobody but blasters gets anything comparable to them until like, their 20s or long after
plus a full stack of 8 hours worth of all the booster buffs
you don't even have the excuse of no money, you got 5 merits and that's more than enough converters to sell for inf!