Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

DLC Inc posted:

nothing Konami could have revealed would have satisfied anyone after we had the Kojima/Ito/del Toro Silent Hills game cancelled, at least for me. Haven't played anything as jarring or hosed up as PT since tbh

I'm willing to bet this is the reason Konami cares about Silent Hill again

https://kotaku.com/pachinko-parlors-covid-19-pandemic-close-japan-business-1848450687

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yeah i watched a massive KOF retrospective and the guy explained that the pachinko parlours managed to convince the lawmakers of Japan to legalize pachinko, not realising that this meant the government would want a cut out of the profit by requiring every single pachinko machine to be licensed and registered, a process which takes months rather than weeks to produce. The legalization practically was about to tank the business then covid 19 hit.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Pigbuster posted:

they're going to pull a FF7 Remake and James will fight the ghosts of canon to save his wife's life

yeah i'd play it

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Did anyone mention this yet? Silent Hill: Ascension

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhLSrv4-7Go

quote:

SILENT HILL: Ascension is a new interactive streaming series where the entire community shapes the canon of Silent Hill. Available 24x7 in 2023.

Genvid previously made The Walking Dead: Last Mile and Rival Peak (both for Facebook Gaming), mobile-like streaming video games with chat features MILEs or Massively Interactive Live Events. You can check those links to see what the "gameplay" is in those things, I assume Ascension is being built on the same bones.

Barry Convex posted:

apparently, the Annapurna SH spinoff is developed by No Code (Stories Untold, Observation). More interested in that one than the SH2 remake or the new mainline game, tbh

https://twitter.com/_tom_henderson_/status/1582710540459442177?s=46&t=TT7hZlIC0boZllP9-WT-vg
By far the best news to come out of this. Their stuff is good.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Silent Hill Stranding, the second Strand game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sam, it's me, Pyramid Headman

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
James, have you heard of the PSYCHE system before?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

So about Ascension with Behavior and JJ Abrams, etc

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1582936890583707648?s=19

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Diabetic posted:

Yes, that's his whole schtick is he's only in that town because his wife contacted him that she's in that town, he comes across as a good man that loves his wife so much.

The trailer is obviously intended for hardcore fans who know the game inside out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You can't really recreate the twist in SH2 because if you've played any indie horror game that followed in its wake + paid any attention to how a lot of modern prestige TV twists are set up, you'll figure out what's going on instantly. It's played out by this point and most people are way more genre-savvy than they were in 2001.

It also begs the question of why even do an SH2 remake in the first place, but they probably just looked at the success of the RE2 remake and went :eyepop:

And I get it, because it's the most iconic one, but also they should've just started with 1 because that game needs it more. At the very least just put out the original games on modern systems in non-poo poo remaster form.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Doomykins posted:

Pyramid Head lifts his giant knife and you dodge it, it gets stuck in scenery, he goes to draw it out and James sees a giant spinning button prompt for a QTE. James comes up behind PH and peels his helmet off at the seams, revealing HIMSELF BUT GREY SKINNED AND RED EYED.

Then James puts on the pyramid helmet and walks outside, where he runs into HIMSELF FROM EARLIER IN THE GAME.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I don't even think 1 should be remade honestly. The PS1 primitive graphics add to its horror which would totally be lost in higher definition. But I guess it'd make it more accessible to a wider audience. The two games which need it the most I'd say is 4 and Downpour. Both games with actually pretty interesting ideas but not so great execution for whatever reason. Remaking 2 feels a bit pointless, like a remake of 3 and Shattered Memories would be, Origins isn't really remarkable enough to be remade while Homecoming has nothing good enough in it to be remade.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not a huge fan of going back to 1, honestly. It has cool bits (the intro, I love the puzzles), but most of that game is completely bland identical looking corridors with very boring enemy designs, and a lot of the creepiness completely disappears after the school. The whole sewer section is atrocious. I definitely think you could make an interesting new spin on it that isn't Shattered Memories.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BisbyWorl posted:

Then James puts on the pyramid helmet and walks outside, where he runs into HIMSELF FROM EARLIER IN THE GAME.

This is so stupid it's probably already in the game.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

sigher posted:

This is so stupid it's probably already in the game.

The joke is that this is an actual thing that happens in Blair Witch; in the bad ending you kill the spooky woodsman then look into a nearby puddle which shows that you now have the spooky woodsman's face, and the game previously established that you're in a time loop.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's also funny that Blair Witch takes the absolute stupidest thing from SH Downpour, hiding the 'good' endings behind not killing any enemies.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sakurazuka posted:

It's also funny that Blair Witch takes the absolute stupidest thing from SH Downpour, hiding the 'good' endings behind not killing any enemies.

At least Downpour you has to fight them, correct me if I'm wrong but the flashlight is what hurt enemies in Blair which means that you could kill enemies by *looking* at them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

First Silent Hill was the only one that was truly scary for me, it seemed to be the only game that really went heavy on the scares. SH2 was disorienting and moody, SH3 Heather’s thematic detachment from the world I felt revulsion than outright horror, and SH4 was more skin crawly and surreal than ahhhh monsters.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

That's a mechanic in Silent Hill 3 and Origins as well though. Plus at least Downpour has moral choices which contribute to your ending as well as how many enemies you kill.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
SH3’s bad ending is extremely difficult to get even if you kill everything you see, since there’s a handful of extra steps like the answer you give in the confession booth

better than way, silencing the ghoulies in these games shouldn’t be discouraged

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

I'm no fan of Bloober and the thumbnail for the trailer makes James look ridiculous, but the actual trailer was....pretty okay? Am I crazy?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, the trailer was fine. But Bloober Team doing a remake of video game horror's most sacred cow is inevitably and understandably going to rile people up.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It just looked like another sad man simulator when it was originally a wife guy simulator

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

roomtwofifteen posted:

I'm no fan of Bloober and the thumbnail for the trailer makes James look ridiculous, but the actual trailer was....pretty okay? Am I crazy?

They're good at graphics and I doubt they're gonna mess with the story too much. The character designs are a bit uninspired, but it looks better than most remakes that don't come out of Capcom. That said I have zero interest in a Silent Hill 2 remake, regardless of who's making it. Just put out the original version again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That's a mechanic in Silent Hill 3 and Origins as well though. Plus at least Downpour has moral choices which contribute to your ending as well as how many enemies you kill.

Lol I'd forgotten that was in SH3 (and Origins existence).

There's a total of two moral choices in Downpour, not counting the ending which is just 'pick which of the two endings available you want'.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1583090344974987266

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

hard belly laughing at this one

the real miracle here is exposing a game from 2001 to the modern day meme generating internet

BisbyWorl posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bloober has no subtlety, like James grabbing a noose is not a visual that should never be in SH2. He's not suicidal he's delusional!

Bloober is like a living embodiment of Garth Marenghi but not funny.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I don't even think 1 should be remade honestly. The PS1 primitive graphics add to its horror which would totally be lost in higher definition.

This is why I thought a Silent Hill 2 remake was a dumb idea even before the developer was confirmed.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I'm having a lot of issues with the remake trailer, and it's difficult to tell if I'm just anxious it will be bad, or if I'm really seeing red flags. My greatest fear at this point is that Bloober will go too hard on the new graphics and animation tech, and as a result destroy so much of the subtlety that made the original game. Or worse, overemphasize the wrong elements, altering the narrative as a result.

Take the bathroom opening. In the original game, we get Mary's letter narrated as it opens on James looking in the mirror, dead eyed, touching his face as if to confirm he's actually awake. Part of that was the limitations of the animation tech at the time, but they lean into it, using it to support the themes and characterization of the game. Here is a man who's lived with grief and guilt for so long that he's become numb to everything else. Who feels like he doesn't belong in the world anymore. Who's chasing a hope he knows is insane, but he has nothing left to keep him going. Compare that to the remake, where the scene opens on the dark, dirty bathroom floor, empty save for a cockroach. James enters in a hurry, washing his face and hands, the former wincing, the latter trembling. This isn't long established trauma. It's fresh. An open wound. Which would work with a drastic re-imagining of the story, but assuming they stick with the original lore doesn't fit at all. This and all the other scenes focusing on James just comes off as overacting, like they don't trust the audience to realize what a sad boy James is. And that's not mentioning how off model he looks.

Another scene that stuck out to me was the first look at combat. We see James rush into the room from a side door, immediately bludgeoning a nurse. While you bludgeon plenty of monsters in the original, the combat stance meant that you had to confront each fight carefully. Guarded. No rushing in. Like James was hesitant to inflict more violence, but will do anything to get to his wife. It has more of a "backed into a corner" feel. So seeing Jame rush into the fight, and not even seeing the nurse fight back feels really wrong. And we know from the developers that the actual game-play will have a behind the shoulder camera, so what are we even seeing here? The original has no cinematics showing combat.

Finally, and this is more a grumble at the marketing, but already fully showing Pyramid Head irks me. I get it, he's the most iconic part of the game and a big selling point, but seeing him on the hospital roof top before the ominous hallway scene is the worst way to introduce him to new players. It's the stinger that ruins it. The brief glimpse you get of him assaulting the mannequin early in the trailer would have worked fine, but they couldn't leave it at that.

There are parts I liked about the trailer. I love how dynamic the town looks, and the debris swirling in the wind works really well. No doubt it will be a very pretty game. I just don't know if they will be able to recreate the themes properly.

Very hyped for Townfall and F though. I think a fresh perspective from creators not trying to recapture the lightning of 2 is exactly what the franchise needs. Will be checking out other games by NoCode in the meantime.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I thought it was a novel idea to actually have James show... emotions. Any emotions. But then James kept making that face from Midsommar, you know the one.

al-azad posted:

Bloober has no subtlety, like James grabbing a noose is not a visual that should never be in SH2. He's not suicidal he's delusional!

Can't even tell if you're being serious here, that's literally a shot from the original game. The only difference is, again, James making that face.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

I thought it was a novel idea to actually have James show... emotions. Any emotions. But then James kept making that face from Midsommar, you know the one.

Can't even tell if you're being serious here, that's literally a shot from the original game. The only difference is, again, James making that face.

Exactly. Showing more emotions is fine, and exactly what a remake should add to the game. But his expressions are just too exaggerated in many of the scenes.

And yeah, that noose is part of the prison level puzzle. One of many, many things hinting at how suicidal James might be (and is in the water ending).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

glitchwraith posted:

Take the bathroom opening. In the original game, we get Mary's letter narrated as it opens on James looking in the mirror, dead eyed, touching his face as if to confirm he's actually awake. Part of that was the limitations of the animation tech at the time, but they lean into it, using it to support the themes and characterization of the game. Here is a man who's lived with grief and guilt for so long that he's become numb to everything else. Who feels like he doesn't belong in the world anymore. Who's chasing a hope he knows is insane, but he has nothing left to keep him going. Compare that to the remake, where the scene opens on the dark, dirty bathroom floor, empty save for a cockroach. James enters in a hurry, washing his face and hands, the former wincing, the latter trembling. This isn't long established trauma. It's fresh. An open wound. Which would work with a drastic re-imagining of the story, but assuming they stick with the original lore doesn't fit at all. This and all the other scenes focusing on James just comes off as overacting, like they don't trust the audience to realize what a sad boy James is. And that's not mentioning how off model he looks.

James just received a letter from his dead wife, why wouldn't that reopen a trauma wound and make it fresh again. His wife died only three years ago, that's not a lot of time to simply become numb to it.

I mean, yes, it's different from the original, but I'm wondering how much of blowback is people doing their own interpretation of things from the original game vs what the developers actually wanted to convey but simply couldn't, and then the question arises about which is better.

I can't say I have too much hope in Bloober's remake, but I'm hopeful for it. Being cynical is boring as poo poo, I'm going to look forward to this until the full product is out and people actually find out what they did with it.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

I'm looking forward to a remake of a good game by a studio who has made nothing but bad horror trash games because I'm built different.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am cautious but also try to remind myself that Mercury Steam made the worst Castlevania game and the best Metroid game so turnarounds can happen.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bloober Teams Darkplace: "James Sunderland looked down at his hands. Blood? Blood. Blood. Sticky, red, wet. Blood. Mary's blood. Blood. And bits of sick."

King Vidiot posted:

Double dumbass on me I don't remember at at all. Guess that's an excuse to replay the game.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 20, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

al-azad posted:

Bloober Teams Darkplace: "James Sunderland looked down at his hands. Blood? Blood. Blood. Sticky, red, wet. Blood. Mary's blood. Blood. And bits of sick."

"I know writers who use subtext, and they're all cowards."
Bloober Team: :hmmyes:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

al-azad posted:

Double dumbass on me I don't remember at at all. Guess that's an excuse to replay the game.

Yeah, it's the puzzle in the prison courtyard where you put the plates at the base of the hangman's noose. The closeup of James pulling down the noose at the end is straight out of the original.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i can't remember but i think in the OG sh2 when faced with the hangman puzzle james was like "yeah whatevs" and went ahead with it, without much fanfare to show that he's kinda dead inside. i suspect bloober james will be a melodramatic weeping wreck half the playtime but i'll wait till we see more than just a trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Morpheus posted:

James just received a letter from his dead wife, why wouldn't that reopen a trauma wound and make it fresh again. His wife died only three years ago, that's not a lot of time to simply become numb to it.

I mean, yes, it's different from the original, but I'm wondering how much of blowback is people doing their own interpretation of things from the original game vs what the developers actually wanted to convey but simply couldn't, and then the question arises about which is better.

I can't say I have too much hope in Bloober's remake, but I'm hopeful for it. Being cynical is boring as poo poo, I'm going to look forward to this until the full product is out and people actually find out what they did with it.

Imo it's mostly a tone thing. In the original James wanders through the town in a daze because he's sixteen layers of delusional over the fact that he killed his wife all of a week ago and (if Rebirth is to be believed) stuck her body in the trunk of his car. He's confused and sad, not frantically searching for her. The opening is one thing, but the graveyard scene is what really sets it, and we haven't seen that yet. The new one kind of gives the impression that he should be running up to Angela and screaming "sorry about your sister or whatever but MY WIFE IS ALIVE HOLY poo poo".

It just seems like Bloober is going for more of an action game than the originals slower, more restrained style.