Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Act 3 is just “the rest of the game” and I’ll die on this hill.

“Buh-buh-buh-but the credits rolled-“
:qqsay:

So loving what? That doesn’t make it the end of the story when there’s more story after the credits.

It is unquestionably the rest of the game and the actual ending of the story. People who call it postgame are just engaging in wishful thinking.

It's like thinking Xeno'jiiva is postgame content in MHW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
As someone who generally thinks in utilitarian terms, I adored act 3.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
act 3 is interesting. I can understand why it would be a bit polarizing, and maybe that's why they put it after the credits. like they went ok well that was a good enough ending probably, but if you wanna say gently caress no we can do better, here's an opportunity to do so.

does seem like some things end up glossed over or erased, but it's nice to see a game actually like, go for it with the concept a bit more than you generally see.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kinda like Asura's Wrath and MGSV, if you watch the opening cinematic, the credits come at the beginning. So everything after that is actually the post game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQXHcMGIzwo

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You should stop playing a video game when you feel done with it or when it isn't fun any more. All this semantic quibbling is futile.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Light Gun Man posted:

act 3 is interesting. I can understand why it would be a bit polarizing, and maybe that's why they put it after the credits. like they went ok well that was a good enough ending probably, but if you wanna say gently caress no we can do better, here's an opportunity to do so.

does seem like some things end up glossed over or erased, but it's nice to see a game actually like, go for it with the concept a bit more than you generally see.

The real chaos option would be for SE to reveal that Dragon Quest 12 is going to be set in the act 2 timeline, leading to either the Zenithian or Dragovarian games, while 1-3 are already set in the Act 3 timeline. Go full Legend of Zelda with the setting.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

It is unquestionably the rest of the game and the actual ending of the story. People who call it postgame are just engaging in wishful thinking.

Nah, people just don't actually know what DQ post-game is like. A dungeon that's just reused areas and reused enemies is pretty much post-game 101. Triply funny that this is some weird thing people refuse to acknowledge when plenty of people have popped up in the thread to go "After Act 2 I felt done enough and dropped it midway through Act 3". Almost like it's post-game or something.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

The real chaos option would be for SE to reveal that Dragon Quest 12 is going to be set in the act 2 timeline, leading to either the Zenithian or Dragovarian games, while 1-3 are already set in the Act 3 timeline. Go full Legend of Zelda with the setting.

could be cool. can the magic train go anywhere it wants?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Act 3 is when you start getting the god mode skill loadouts and that means a lot to me. Divide Dually Deadly Double Down awakens something primal in my ape brain.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Tbh above all else, skipping act 3 means skipping the bombshell revelation at the end that took the game from "best RPG I've played in many years" to "one of my favorite games of all time by coming full circle to the first RPG I ever played".

If you don't care about that, that's your right, but I still feel like you're depriving yourself. It is pretty bittersweet in context of the story though because of what you have to do to access act 3, but it's worth it for what I mentioned above (and getting back the second best character in the game).

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Saxophone posted:

Are there any mods for DQB2? I was kinda surprised a google search didn’t seem to turn up much but ‘infinite x item’ trainers given the minecrafty nature of the game.

I haven't found any and I'm really annoyed at that because it deserves a bunch :mad:
There's even dummied-out content for some sort of post-game arena mode in the code and nobody made it accessible unless I missed something.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

could be cool. can the magic train go anywhere it wants?

DQ Treasures seems to use the definitely-not-starlight-express so :shrug:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was really disappointed that there wasn't more of a chance to use any elaborate defenses you build. there's a single attack on isle of awakening after moonbrooke. after you fend it off there's no real point in rebuilding, reworking, etc.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
The only thing I didn't beat in DQ11s is the Timewyrm because I have stronger monsters on and he kept wrecking my poo poo.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"They would never design a Dragon Quest game to be that tedious" from the franchise that produced DQ7

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Has there been any news about the DQ3 HD sprite remake?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Kuros posted:

The only thing I didn't beat in DQ11s is the Timewyrm because I have stronger monsters on and he kept wrecking my poo poo.

That thing was absolutely not worth the effort to kill. I got to the fight and lost before I got a second turn, even after beating all the other postgame bosses, and decided it wasn't worth my time to beat it.

Then I spent ten hours grinding everything I needed to kill it and I'm not really sure why.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I liked that boss because it was so hard I couldn't justify continuing. Just- "here, you're allowed to stop playing" .

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Hyper Inferno posted:

Has there been any news about the DQ3 HD sprite remake?

I have not seen any, and it's been ages.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B76a3xxdoc

30 minutes of gameplay from DQ Treasures. It's all in Japanese, but you can get the gist of it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
looks neat, but the minimap is really lousy.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
Yeah, there's a lot of familiarity too.

I got hit with a wave of nostalgia after learning the slime names, and then seeing that one attack the blue and orange slimes do. And there's that brief intro to the scout game mechanic too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I want a base-building beat em up Jade game.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 20, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Streets of Erdrea, where you wander the DQ11 world as Jade and Rab before the tournament at Octagonia looking for info on Mordegon and beating up thugs and monsters.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Commander Keene posted:

Streets of Erdrea, where you wander the DQ11 world as Jade and Rab before the tournament at Octagonia looking for info on Mordegon and beating up thugs and monsters.

I think I would kill for a Yakuza-style game where you play as Jade.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've never played a Yakuza game aside from like an hour or two of 7, so I was thinking more of a side-scrolling brawler like Streets of Rage or Final Fight, but sure.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

I've never played a Yakuza game aside from like an hour or two of 7

My friend, you should fix that at your earliest convenience! 0 is a good place to start.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I've never played a Yakuza game aside from like an hour or two of 7, so I was thinking more of a side-scrolling brawler like Streets of Rage or Final Fight, but sure.

That's fair. I'm the absolute worst when it comes to genres so all I can think of as far as beat em ups is Yakuza and kinda technically Dynasty/Samurai/Hyrule Warriors.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

serefin99 posted:

I think I would kill for a Yakuza-style game where you play as Jade.

this is only fair, after the last Yakuza game was actually a DQ game in disguise.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Log082 posted:

this is only fair, after the last Yakuza game was actually a DQ game in disguise.

I'm still blown away that they changed the name of DQ XII to One Piece: Odyssey

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
drat, DQH2 is a lot longer than I'd have thought, certainly more than the first one

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Commander Keene posted:

RareAcumen posted:

That's fair. I'm the absolute worst when it comes to genres so all I can think of as far as beat em ups is Yakuza and kinda technically Dynasty/Samurai/Hyrule Warriors.

I don't think the characters from XI are in them, but the Dragon Quest Heroes games exist and are basically that, in 3D.

Thanks for reminding me, too. I have the first DQH in my Steam library that I've only played for 8 hours. I've finally quit my MMO so I've been using that time for Steam stuff, and I'll consider diving into it for my next game.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I'm still blown away that they changed the name of DQ XII to One Piece: Odyssey

I've been ignoring this game because I'm not fully caught up with the manga. Is it actually looking good? I love the Unlimited games on the Wii but World Breaker or whatever the newest one is called was not good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Everything I've seen so far looks great, though I've never played any of the previous One Piece games because they were those weird "the enemies are just hordes of pre-animated semi-circles you send flying with a single attack" style of games. This one looks like they're very much borrowing from the DQXI style, party-style turn-based combat with abilities you unlock as you play due to a story mcguffin about having the characters powers stripped away temporarily and needing to be regathered so they can break free from an island that nobody ever escapes from (and typically for One Piece games, lets you replay a bunch of major storylines from previous games).

If nothing else, it'll hold me over till DQXII!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the writing will obviously be garbage, because it's a one piece game. the gameplay may be good, who knows?

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Everything I've seen so far looks great, though I've never played any of the previous One Piece games because they were those weird "the enemies are just hordes of pre-animated semi-circles you send flying with a single attack" style of games. This one looks like they're very much borrowing from the DQXI style, party-style turn-based combat with abilities you unlock as you play due to a story mcguffin about having the characters powers stripped away temporarily and needing to be regathered so they can break free from an island that nobody ever escapes from (and typically for One Piece games, lets you replay a bunch of major storylines from previous games).

If nothing else, it'll hold me over till DQXII!

poo poo, that sounds pretty good! Thanks for filling me in.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I'm replaying DQXI and this time around I'm really noticing just how many songs are being reused from older games. It really skirts the line between being nostalgia bait and laziness and I feel myself going back and forth repeatedly on which I think it is. It helps that it's orchestrated now though.

Since I'm playing the definitive edition this time, it's the first time I'm doing the Tickington quests. I had a huge smile on my face when the Moonbroke princess was shocked that the MP recovery item I was giving her was so common in the world I was coming from. That was definitely a fun bit of nostalgia bait. I just wish they put in the effort of giving the enemies sprite animations too instead of just PC animations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
XI’s standalone tracks weren’t exactly Sugiyama at his A-Game so I can’t be too mad that a whole bunch of the OST is just Dragon Quest Greatest Hits, at least when that comes one of the best overworld themes of all time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Jesus the back half of Heroes 2 is actually difficult. The Twin Kings and the four-boss gauntlet mission are really tough. Got a bit easier when I realised how good shield blocking is if you nail the timing, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Either Polygon doesn't know how to read Roman numerals or DQ9 is coming to PlayStation and also getting a different subtitle. But they've left the typo up for 10 days now lol

https://www.polygon.com/23400752/playstation-plus-games-for-october-2022-extra-premium