Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

It's wild that this game is bigger than MWII (which is taking up 60.55GB on my PS5)

MW2 may yet grow in size; Warzone 2 isn't actually going live until November 16th and it wouldn't surprise me if there was a fairly beefy update closer to release.

I also have a feeling some behind-the-scenes pushback on the ridiculous game sizes leading up to now was happening. Especially if you wanted to cover both Warzone 1 and whatever the newest CoD was, if you had a 500 gig PS4 that took up the majority of the space you had available. I suspect some gamers were opting to drop CoD entirely because it was a single game you could delete that would free up enough space for multiple other games, and I imagine Sony and Microsoft were pushing back on this as well, especially since for certain console configurations it was impossible to install (e.g. if you put a 256 gig SSD in a PS4, or used a 256 gig external on either PlayStation or Xbox, which were supposed to be "big enough for at least one of any game").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

JollyBoyJohn posted:

AWFUL is a strong word but I will admit its just not what I wanted from an ff7 remake which I guess was basically ff7 with nice graphics

it is a strong word and i agree that there are parts of the game which are actually pretty loving cool like the minute to minute stuff in the shinra escape section, but every single moment in the game that would be cool is undercut by either dragging it out, walking it back, or inserting some convoluted horseshit that says nothing and usually it's all three of those things at once.

i don't think i've ever had as negative a reaction as i did to the ending of that game. usually i'm just like lol jesus christ that went bad, but i was sitting there going....they completely hosed this up. how did they gently caress this up so badly. and then i started thinking about all the signs through the game, like tifa constantly doing 'look at my tits' animations, barret's VA direction, the entire wall market section (the actual dance scene was kinda cool but the hours surrounding it were just pure death), and the general lack of interest shown in developing midgar which they'd decided to reduce the game down to in order to make more money. sephiroth is in his head every 30 minutes now!!!! please keep playing! it's just...trash.

of course some people are gonna disagree with all of that and say no it owns with no examples of why or bad examples of why the worst parts were actually amazing, and that's fine. the audience has sacrificed the people in their early 30's who loved ffvii as a kid and wanted a more developed adult version of that for the bozos. probably will make em plenty of money. i won't be there for the rest.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 20, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Good news though you can still play the original ffvii on any one of like 10 different platforms and it’s still exactly the game you always loved, they didn’t take it out back and shoot it or anything.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arist posted:

"I just wanted better looking FFVII" you absolute cowards

Anyone who is too good for OG ff7 graphics is beyond help

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

History Comes Inside! posted:

Good news though you can still play the original ffvii on any one of like 10 different platforms and it’s still exactly the game you always loved, they didn’t take it out back and shoot it or anything.

i know bud and i will at some point in the future once the distaste of that fuckin remake has faded from my mind.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I would like it if square never used a forced walking-speed change ever again. I would rather just see loading screens then ever have to slowly crawl through another loving crack in the wall again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

roomtone posted:

. the audience has sacrificed the people in their early 30's who loved ffvii as a kid and wanted a more developed adult version of that for the bozos.

please do not speak for the rest of us, or indeed at all

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Arkham Knights reviews are out and the consensus seems to be 'fun system worn down by repetitive grind, crafting and loot systems'

So I guess it's an AAA open world game released at any point in the last six years

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Its not, they added mouths from the pc version and took years to fix the overworld music, also the bg's are smoothed over and look lovely when compared to a crt where they remain detailed and crisp at 26k

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Another epic western AAA fail.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm sure I'll enjoy it when it's patched & less than £20 in a couple of months.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

please do not speak for the rest of us, or indeed at all

it's a general demarcation. i'm far from the only one who had this reaction. i made the mistake of posting my thoughts in the FF thread and thought i actually was just a crazy negative goblin, but i looked outside of that and realised no, it did suck, really bad. and i need to not pay attention to this thing anymore.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

roomtone posted:

the audience has sacrificed the people in their early 30's who loved ffvii as a kid and wanted a more developed adult version of that for the bozos.

I'm both, I dual classed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

roomtone posted:

the audience has sacrificed the people in their early 30's who loved ffvii as a kid and wanted a more developed adult version of that for the bozos. probably will make em plenty of money. i won't be there for the rest.
how dare they disrespect me, a 30 year old goon, by making a game people like

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wolfsheim posted:

Arkham Knights reviews are out and the consensus seems to be 'fun system worn down by repetitive grind, crafting and loot systems'

So I guess it's an AAA open world game released at any point in the last six years

It also can't maintain 30 on consoles and runs like crap even on a 4090, which you have to work pretty hard to accomplish. Digital Foundry openly shits on it, and I can't remember the last game that happened with

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

roomtone posted:

i made the mistake of posting my thoughts in the FF thread and thought i actually was just a crazy negative goblin, but i looked outside of that and realised no, it did suck, really bad.

You were right the first time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Final Fantasy 7 remake was really the wake up call for me that I just cannot personally stand how modern JRPGs are made. I generally do not like anime and they are like watching a really really long anime. I still have a soft spot for the 16 and 32 bit era of JRPG but not in a way that I really want to revisit them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

roomtone posted:

it's a general demarcation. i'm far from the only one who had this reaction. i made the mistake of posting my thoughts in the FF thread and thought i actually was just a crazy negative goblin, but i looked outside of that and realised no, it did suck, really bad. and i need to not pay attention to this thing anymore.

The FF thread was right

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nobody has to like the ff7 remake but I reserve the right to lol at anyone who says stuff like "slap in the face", "bait and switch" or accuses the publisher of fraud

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ffviir sucks really bad if you hate good poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

classic 16/32-bit jrpgs were also very anime tbh, its just a lot of the most obviously anime ones didnt get tl'd. 90% of tales of phantasia's marketing was about how they managed to get a single generic jpop song onto the cartridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3SA9LuqQgA

listen to that soundchip work baby

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

While I get nostalgia for FF7, it had a notoriously screwed-up translation (especially in European languages which were second-generation from the English) which I think probably messes things up substantially in a revisit that, due to modern localization standards, is a lot closer to what the Japanese developers intended than some of the mistakes introduced in the Western editions of the original game (and no official re-release has done any significant changes to the original flawed translation, even though every other FF that needed this had a revisit at some point).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Firsto Aido 48 mbits well spent

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FF7 Remake was good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The ff7 translation goes from serviceable to totally breaking down into nonsense in optional areas like Ft Condor, though Ft Condor sucks so it didn't affect my enjoyment that much.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
FF7R was great because it was fun, had fairly original gameplay, and didn’t make the original game redundant. If you want to play FF7 again…just go play it!

Remake being a totally different game and actually a sequel was a really ballsy choice on Square’s part and I think it was the best choice they could have made for how to do it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Final Fantasy 7 Remake was incredible and if they continue doing what they're doing Part 2 and 3 are going to be even better. Remakes that are just the same game but with better graphics are weak shlock made by cowards for cowards.

Belan
May 7, 2007
https://twitter.com/Sony/status/1583133482103939072

Oh dear.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Sony is going to announce that they're deleting Bloodborne from their catalogue to stymie Microsoft somehow

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

yeah you're right the re2 remake was just a huge waste of time and the reason people don't debate it forever is because well, it's just boring, not because it was a satisfying 8-10 hours that had it's time and place and brought the atmosphere of re2 into the future in a fun way. they should have inserted an additional interdimensional umbrella conspiracy from the movies and revealed this was the second 1998, not the first, to give it that extra pop and potential for more sequels.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Belan posted:

Oh dear.

Hmm Sony account instead of PlayStation account. Announcement incoming for HBO show starring Pedro Pascal

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

And of course people are jumping to conclusions about what this is. Sony never said this was some sort of prelude to an announcement of any kind.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Jimbot posted:

Final Fantasy 7 Remake was incredible and if they continue doing what they're doing Part 2 and 3 are going to be even better. Remakes that are just the same game but with better graphics are weak shlock made by cowards for cowards.

there's been like zero news on part ii so i'm kind of worried about it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

roomtone posted:

yeah you're right the re2 remake was just a huge waste of time and the reason people don't debate it forever is because well, it's just boring, not because it was a satisfying 8-10 hours that had it's time and place and brought the atmosphere of re2 into the future in a fun way. they should have inserted an additional interdimensional umbrella conspiracy from the movies and revealed this was the second 1998, not the first, to give it that extra pop and potential for more sequels.

See, now you get it

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I said come in! posted:

And of course people are jumping to conclusions about what this is. Sony never said this was some sort of prelude to an announcement of any kind.

There's no reason to tweet something like that except to get starving fans worked up over a possible announcement. And that announcement will be a film starring Mark Wahlberg

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I pissed and moaned that squenix expected me to buy multiple full priced games because of episodic bullshit and then it actually came out and there was a reason for it and I was wrong and it owned, actually.

I would sooner play ffviir again over ffvii and I like ffvii as much as anyone who is in their 30s and originally had their tits blown off by the psx experience.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

roomtone posted:

I think there's a difference between remaking a 10 hour game that takes place in eight hallways with eight different character models and remaking an 80 hour game with dozens of cities and dungeons and a hundred characters

But also both are extremely good so

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

What time is the RE show?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

roomtone posted:

if you think those are the things ff7r did then you dont understand ff7r

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

FFVIIR GOATed