Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Duckman2008 posted:

So I take it you got robbed, which my condolences if so.

So , carriers systems aren’t perfect , but when you search an IMEI , they can probably see a few things (depending on how the systems work).

-is it on the lost / stolen list
-is it unlocked
-is it compatible
-a deeper search can show then what accounts it has been on for that carrier , but of course they can’t see other Carriers. Verizon doesn’t share their records with ATT for instance (other than lost / stolen).

The answer here is if you get robbed and it’s that bad , you still can call your carrier afterwards, report it lost / stolen, and the device won’t work in the US. Which doesn’t really prevent it, because usually thieves are looking to sell overseas anyway, but yeah I would say it def wouldn’t be usable service wise in the US.

The find my iPhone being turned off in this example more is bad because of potential personal theft issues plus obviously the phone doesn’t get bricked.

The IMEI lost stolen list is not shared with cops as far as I know, and I really hope it is not. But again, they’re auto flagged in the Us upon being reported stolen, so I would say it removed the need for police , who quite frankly won’t help you retrieve a lost phone anyway, it’s very low on their list of poo poo to do (which I won’t list here).

Thanks for posting man, this is great info.

In retrospect I definitely should have put (I did not get robbed) at the bottom of my post, I was not, it just happens a lot here and tons of thieves know to get you to remove Find My iPhone and get your passcode now.

Out of curiosity why wouldn't you want a list of stolen IMEIs shared with cops? I would have hoped them and, let's say FBI who then would work with municipalities, could quite easily cross reference stolen IMEIs and check when they are pinged to register for new service, then cops could have a chat with either the thieves or whoever thieves sold to, which could lead to the thieves ? Just a pipe dream I acknowledge, but it sure would be nice to systematically find a way to combat armed robbery like that

:page3:

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Inner Light posted:

Out of curiosity why wouldn't you want a list of stolen IMEIs shared with cops?

What happens when someone who wants to cause trouble for you gets your (not stolen) IMEI put onto the list of stolen IMEIs?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Quackles posted:

What happens when someone who wants to cause trouble for you gets your (not stolen) IMEI put onto the list of stolen IMEIs?

I guess that makes sense, in a “that’s why we can’t have nice things” sort of way :shrug:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
FaceID is fantastic, but I reaaalllly want them to bring back TouchID under the glass to supplant it, not replace it.

FaceID is great whenever i pick up my phone to use it like a normal person, which is probably 90% of the time. The other 10% are when I wake up in the morning, or when the phone is sitting on my desk and I get a notification I just want to glance at so i try to position my face over the phone to unlock it but it never reads my face quite right so I try again and it still doesn't read it right so I give up and pick up the phone but by now there's been too many failed readings so I have to put in my code anyway

It's the first worldiest problem, but I'd love them to bring back TouchID in addition to FaceID.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

Thanks for posting man, this is great info.

In retrospect I definitely should have put (I did not get robbed) at the bottom of my post, I was not, it just happens a lot here and tons of thieves know to get you to remove Find My iPhone and get your passcode now.

Out of curiosity why wouldn't you want a list of stolen IMEIs shared with cops? I would have hoped them and, let's say FBI who then would work with municipalities, could quite easily cross reference stolen IMEIs and check when they are pinged to register for new service, then cops could have a chat with either the thieves or whoever thieves sold to, which could lead to the thieves ? Just a pipe dream I acknowledge, but it sure would be nice to systematically find a way to combat armed robbery like that

:page3:

Short answer is don’t trust cops and law enforcement , so this is a good bit opinion.

That said, I will say having worked in stores until recently, cops won’t do anything anyway. And not in a negative way in this instance.

Example: your phone gets stolen, and you track via find my iPhone that it’s at some house or whatever. You go to the police and show that. What do you think they will do ? The answer, is that they will tell you they have more important matters, there’s probably whatever legal stuff with them going there, and lord knows whatever else, and they won’t go and try and recover your phone. And regardless of opinions on police, I pretty much agree with this. It’s small potatoes , and yeah what are they gonna say when they stop by anyway.

So honestly. There’s no point IMO, and it’s still small theft compared to so many other things (plus the volume of phones stolen) so it just isn’t manageable for police to handle.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rinkles posted:

Do people like FaceID? Does it work reliably on a phone? I have it in my iPad Pro and though it works a lot of the time, it fails way too often for my taste.

I never had a X or a 11 but on 12, 13, 14 it's been good.

Paying via NFC is still "worse" than TouchID, simply because of the ergonomics of holding out a card to a card reader.

If you have 2FA notifications that you have to accept with biometric then it's also slightly "worse" assuming your phone is lying more or less flat on the desk.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

~Coxy posted:

I never had a X or a 11 but on 12, 13, 14 it's been good.

Paying via NFC is still "worse" than TouchID, simply because of the ergonomics of holding out a card to a card reader.

If you have 2FA notifications that you have to accept with biometric then it's also slightly "worse" assuming your phone is lying more or less flat on the desk.

that's why you buy an apple watch

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

OldSenileGuy posted:

FaceID is fantastic, but I reaaalllly want them to bring back TouchID under the glass to supplant it, not replace it.

:eng101: supplant means replace. you probably meant supplement or complement

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The only thing I miss about fingerprint sensors are the android style back of the phone ones that can be used as a swipe pad to easily check notifications/settings one handed. Other than that though, FaceID has really surprised me with how well it works. I have zero desire to go back to a fingerprint sensor anywhere on the phone.

Also an Apple Watch really pairs nicely too, with super fast NFC stuff and backup unlocking your phone quickly if for some reason FaceID fails.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

face id is good. i didn’t realize how much i liked it until work gave me an iphone 7. i always wish it had face id

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

lol if you don’t unlock your phone with a 10-character passcode

Weedle
May 31, 2006

four digits. i’m a busy woman

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

that's why you buy an apple watch

What's the oldest model of Apple Watch that's still worth a drat?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

~Coxy posted:

What's the oldest model of Apple Watch that's still worth a drat?

Just get the SE if you're not super interested in getting an 8 or Ultra.

Or you can try finding a S5 for cheap maybe?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Just get the SE if you're not super interested in getting an 8 or Ultra.

Or you can try finding a S5 for cheap maybe?

Yeah the SE is a great way to go.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mr. Fix It posted:

:eng101: supplant means replace. you probably meant supplement or complement

You’re right, I typed “supplant” but meant “supplement” :doh:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Huh, first time in a while I joined a zoom call on my phone and my headphones were dead so I had to listen on the phone itself. I had to turn the volume down briefly and it looks like you can't turn call volume all the way? Has this always been this way and I've never noticed or is this something that has changed?

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 20, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Why would you want to turn the call volume completely off if you're on a call? Am I missing something?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yeah in my experience you can’t turn it down all the way on calls. I get that it’s somewhat illogical to want to do so but I wish you could, too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Turning it down all the way is called “mute” and it’s usually a dedicated button

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

FCKGW posted:

Turning it down all the way is called “mute” and it’s usually a dedicated button

:dafuq: Mute button is for muting microphone, we're talking speakers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have been owned

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

why call if you don't want to hear anything on the other end? you can just scream into the void any time, any place. you don't even need to own a phone.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Eh, this was a listening only call and zoom/teams/etc can all do pretty darn good real time transcription, just seems weird that for a use case of "I want to turn off the audio output briefly" the phone won't let you do it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe a privacy thing? They don't want you butt dialing someone and letting folks listen to everything going on around you without you knowing.

Granted this assumes they make any noise that you can hear, but at least they tried?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

well if you're looking for solutions to have a call with no audio, i guess you could plug in or pair a headset and just leave it on the desk. you probably won't hear any sound escaping at low volume. the audio output can be switched between the speaker and headset as needed during the call.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

why call if you don't want to hear anything on the other end? you can just scream into the void any time, any place. you don't even need to own a phone.

Sometimes I join conference calls just so my name is on the attendance list :shrug:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Once again Mumble and Discord are better at this than Teams and FaceTime. (full Mute and Deafen functionality)

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

fourwood posted:

FaceID is great and I wouldn’t want to go back to a TouchID only phone.

It’s really amazing how much better it works on the phone vs the iPad. I was certain I would miss my home button and fingerprint sensor on my phone, but I really don’t at all with my new 14.

Definitely miss it on occasion with iPad, but it’s Good Enough.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was finally allowed by corporate overlords to get the 14 Pro (they actually allowed it almost two months earlier than usual at least).

Dynamic island is def a dumb name, but IMO super slick. Makes the screen look bigger, and even just for notifications already is a better solution. I don’t know how much activity I need apps using it for, but it’s kind of not a big deal either way.

It feels faster than my 13 Pro, and I’m not sure if that is because it is noticeably faster, if it’s dynamic island making ir looking faster, or just me psychologically expecting it to be.

Camera seems very good so far. Been a busy week, so not much time for pictures.

Overall, obviously most people with a 12 or 13 don’t need to upgrade , but A+ , would upgrade again.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

I was finally allowed by corporate overlords to get the 14 Pro (they actually allowed it almost two months earlier than usual at least).

Dynamic island is def a dumb name, but IMO super slick. Makes the screen look bigger, and even just for notifications already is a better solution. I don’t know how much activity I need apps using it for, but it’s kind of not a big deal either way.

It feels faster than my 13 Pro, and I’m not sure if that is because it is noticeably faster, if it’s dynamic island making ir looking faster, or just me psychologically expecting it to be.

Camera seems very good so far. Been a busy week, so not much time for pictures.

Overall, obviously most people with a 12 or 13 don’t need to upgrade , but A+ , would upgrade again.

Important question: what color?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I got a text message from my doctor’s office with a verification number for logging into their website. I went to delete it and accidentally hit to report it as junk.

Is there any way to take that back? I do not want that to affect messages coming to me and going out to others in the future.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
no there isn't but it's not like it sets up a filter to auto-delete any messages, it's just to help apple's algorithms to detect spammers in the future. you'll be fine don't worry about it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Oh. I thought that would filter it out.

Well that makes me feel better.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ha, I did the same thing this week

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've accidentally reported a few TFA texts also but haven't stopped getting them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Electronaut posted:

Important question: what color?

Purple. Had to do purple , even though I have a black case so I can’t see it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Duckman2008 posted:

Purple. Had to do purple , even though I have a black case so I can’t see it.

But you know it’s there and the camera bump is the color purple. I’m in the same boat with my green 13 pro. It’s so pretty but I’m afraid to go caseless — at least I have a green case.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How does dual SIMs work in practice? We're going to Italy next week and I intend to get a local data-only eSIM. I'll still be able to send and receive iMessages since it'll be over data, just not my US data, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

How does dual SIMs work in practice? We're going to Italy next week and I intend to get a local data-only eSIM. I'll still be able to send and receive iMessages since it'll be over data, just not my US data, correct?

It’s been a bit since I’ve done it, but basically you can set which phone number defaults for data. You should set that the be the Italian number.

In theory iMessage is data where it then should process correctly (aka not use roaming data), but honestly not sure since I’ve never done that.

As I’m sure you know, Verizon roaming is $10 a day, and is triggered by an outgoing text message, any incoming or outgoing call, or data usage. You *should* get notified of you trigger that. Which , honestly will tell you if you need to tweak a setting or whether it is working correctly or not.