Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

aw frig aw dang it posted:

The cabbage doesn't get all wilt-y after a couple days?

No, it stills retains the crunchiness, plus it's still fresh and peppery :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Force de Fappe posted:

Yeah, it's a great way to make a bulk (pizza)sallad that tastes great and lasts a decent while in the fridge, I often do the same. I like to add a bit of dijon mustard to the vinaigrette occasionally.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Force de Fappe posted:

Wow! I'll have to try that, thanks!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Apparently Olivia Wilde has some amazing recipe for salad dressing, one so good that when she made a salad to take to her new lover Harry Styles, her boyfriend Jason Sudeikis laid down in front of her car to prevent her from leaving with it

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11299523/Jason-Sudeikis-tried-prevent-Olivia-Wilde-seeing-Harry-Styles-fight.html

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

In my experience a cabbage salad kind of thing does wilt a little bit after dressing it, but maybe that's because I'm usually salting it a bit. It's definitely not a lot and pretty delicious for a while afterwards and doesn't wilt much more after the first day or so.

I find it to taste best when it's fresh, but it's still good afterward. I like doing it super thin.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you’re in the Washington DC area and want to order Indian food for delivery, Rasa has a roll of toilet paper as an option

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

If you’re in the Washington DC area and want to order Indian food for delivery, Rasa has a roll of toilet paper as an option

That's something a lot of local places were doing when the pandemic toilet paper scare of 2020 was occurring. They'd actually throw it in with your order IIRC.

Still, all I can see and think about is the

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Alaskan snow crab season has been canceled for the first time ever

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/10/16/us/alaska-snow-crab-harvest-canceled-climate/index.html

Apparently population shrank from 8 billion to 1 billion from 2018 to 2021

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Seems bad! I wonder if there are any other food-related things we do which are unsustainable? I guess we'll find out sooner or later...

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

Alaskan snow crab season has been canceled for the first time ever

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/10/16/us/alaska-snow-crab-harvest-canceled-climate/index.html

Apparently population shrank from 8 billion to 1 billion from 2018 to 2021

Jeez that's awful

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Seems bad! I wonder if there are any other food-related things we do which are unsustainable? I guess we'll find out sooner or later...

I’m not sure if you’re being serious or not.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

therattle posted:

I’m not sure if you’re being serious or not.
It's a bit of the ol' "sarcasm" stuff that is so popular around these parts.

It's not a panacea by any stretch, but if anyone's concerned about sustainable eating, you could do much worse than most of what I've posted about over the years in the vegan thread.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's a bit of the ol' "sarcasm" stuff that is so popular around these parts.

It's not a panacea by any stretch, but if anyone's concerned about sustainable eating, you could do much worse than most of what I've posted about over the years in the vegan thread.

Roger that. I cook 99% vegetarian at home, try to use organic, reasonably local, lower air miles, etc. Our food system is completely broken.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I will join in salad chat to say that a boiled/poached egg is great for making a salad more fulling. Been on a nicoise kick of late, it's very good.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Apparently Olivia Wilde has some amazing recipe for salad dressing, one so good that when she made a salad to take to her new lover Harry Styles, her boyfriend Jason Sudeikis laid down in front of her car to prevent her from leaving with it

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11299523/Jason-Sudeikis-tried-prevent-Olivia-Wilde-seeing-Harry-Styles-fight.html

It’s Nora Ephrom’s, which makes things so much more delightful and banal. https://twitter.com/lanikaps/status/1582560767249092609?s=46&t=E_xE7eSdybLQxjGNJgMJjA

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

bloody ghost titty posted:

It’s Nora Ephrom’s, which makes things so much more delightful and banal. https://twitter.com/lanikaps/status/1582560767249092609?s=46&t=E_xE7eSdybLQxjGNJgMJjA

It can’t possibly be that stupid

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
God bless Costco. Rotisserie chicken still $5. Bigass pumpkin pie still $6. A dozen croissants for $6. Hot dog and coke still $1.50. Chicken thighs $1.69 a pound. 18” pizza still $10

At first when it was announced they would start owning their own farms I didn’t see the point but now because they own the farms they can mitigate inflation

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

God bless Costco. Rotisserie chicken still $5. Bigass pumpkin pie still $6. A dozen croissants for $6. Hot dog and coke still $1.50. Chicken thighs $1.69 a pound. 18” pizza still $10

At first when it was announced they would start owning their own farms I didn’t see the point but now because they own the farms they can mitigate inflation

Meat shouldn't be that cheap. Something and/or someone has paid for it.

This is an interesting little article on patsteurisation, raw milk, and cheese microbiology.
https://milktrekker.substack.com/p/beyond-the-rawpasteurized-divide?ref=The+Browser-newsletter

therattle fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 20, 2022

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I am running a mafia game in The Game Room, that is 7 parts cooking, 1 part mafia. If anyone is interested, please take a look. Or just observe and cook stuff to help out the participants.

Cookfia 7

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

therattle posted:

Meat shouldn't be that cheap. Something and/or someone has paid for it.

Costco, actually. The rotisserie chickens are a big loss leader.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

The Midniter posted:

Yup.
Go in for a chicken end up with a 1 gallon canister of Jelly Belly's. No regrets.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So a buddy gave me about 12 habaneros, which seems like too few for hot sauce, but exactly the right about for a nice big batch of mango habanero jam. Does anyone have a go to recipe? I'm seeing recipes calling for anywhere between 1-4 peppers per 2 mangos, which seems like a hell of a variation in spice levels.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

The fact that they bought a ton of chicken farms a few years ago makes me wonder if they’re even losing money on them now

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So a buddy gave me about 12 habaneros, which seems like too few for hot sauce, but exactly the right about for a nice big batch of mango habanero jam. Does anyone have a go to recipe? I'm seeing recipes calling for anywhere between 1-4 peppers per 2 mangos, which seems like a hell of a variation in spice levels.

Can't help with the jam but you can make a great wing sauce out of that many peppers, if you were looking for uses.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Can't help with the jam but you can make a great wing sauce out of that many peppers, if you were looking for uses.

I'm kind of committed to the jam now, what with the buying of stuff and promises to share the bounty. I guess one habanero per jar might be the way to go? Its been forever since I've used them for anything. All the mango and sugar should cut the spice, but I still want to it be a very enthusiastic good morning to anyone putting it on their toast.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

I'm kind of committed to the jam now, what with the buying of stuff and promises to share the bounty. I guess one habanero per jar might be the way to go? Its been forever since I've used them for anything. All the mango and sugar should cut the spice, but I still want to it be a very enthusiastic good morning to anyone putting it on their toast.

how strong are your habaneros??

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

w4ddl3d33 posted:

how strong are your habaneros??

Couldn't tell you. Its been years since I've had one honestly, so I don't know how they compare? Should I go with 2 per jar?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Couldn't tell you. Its been years since I've had one honestly, so I don't know how they compare? Should I go with 2 per jar?
How long is a piece of string?

You're going to slice the habs before adding them to the vinegar, sugar, pectin, and whatever else you're using to make the jam, right? Taste a slice or two. Or just the leftover flesh you're left with on the stem end after cutting them.

Me, I wouldn't go under four or five habs per ~1 1/2 cups of vinegar myself, and usually go more around 10-12, but I like hot things. If you don't like hot things (and for some reason are still making hab jelly) then use less. There's no magical "right" number here.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah I think I'm just going to have to taste as the jam heats up and figure it out from there. Lord knows what all that sugar, mango, heat and pressure is going to end up doing to the spice levels but I guess we'll find out. I wonder if chili peppers are high in pectin

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Happiness Commando posted:

I used this as a starting point last night and not only was it delicious, my friend asked for the recipe. A+ will cook again. I think I'm going to start making it with pasta to sustain my carbivore diet.

Glad you liked it! Like I said, I got it from one of the threads here. Probably the vegan one.

Another Sunday, another day of cooking. Chocolate chip banana bread, potato curry, Chinese-inspired potato salad, kimchi fried rice, spicy chickpeas and a couple of boiled eggs.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Walla posted:

Glad you liked it! Like I said, I got it from one of the threads here. Probably the vegan one.

Another Sunday, another day of cooking. Chocolate chip banana bread, potato curry, Chinese-inspired potato salad, kimchi fried rice, spicy chickpeas and a couple of boiled eggs.

today was also a cooking day for me, which is odd because it's tradition that i eat mostly liquids on sundays - soups, huel, smoothies, that kinda thing

but anyways i made a ton of mango pico de gallo for my breakfast sandwich tomorrow morning. tonight's dinner was tomato and bean soup, with crispy baked tofu and stir-fried mushrooms and savoy cabbage on the side, and vanilla yoghurt chia pudding for dessert

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I did most of my weekend cooking yesterday to get some meals prepped and in the freezer. Black beans & rice, roasted veggies, and some microwave cobbler I spent too much time and energy figuring out.

Today I just made a loaf of bread in the bread machine and chilled.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

w4ddl3d33 posted:

it's tradition that i eat mostly liquids on sundays - soups, huel, smoothies, that kinda thing

Since time immemorial, my people have sung songs and shared stories of the past, handing down the fabled practices of our forefathers that we might learn from them. The ritualistic dancing to herald new life born forth by spring, chanting to our gods to pray for harvest, only drinking meal replacement shakes on Sundays.

These are our ways, learning them is a way to honour your ancestors.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

I wonder if chili peppers are high in pectin

Jalapenos have enough pectin that I've started adding pectic enzyme when I make green sauce from them. Otherwise, the stuff turns into a solid cylinders in the storage jars and doesn't pour.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just made a steamed pudding for the first time. Ginger. Absolutely delicious and extremely easy recipe (to make the batter just throw everything into the food processor). It was GF but I’d never have known had I not made it - very light and fluffy. I added a bit of extra stem ginger. It didn’t have quite enough sticky moist bits on top but other than that was excellent. For a first attempt I was very pleased (with it and myself). This was the recipe.

https://recipeland.com/recipe/v/steamed-golden-syrup-pudding-gl-56645

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

I just made a steamed pudding for the first time.

I recently started doing steamed puddings as an essentially free (not really free, but made with stuff I always have in the house) way of having a dessert for the kids, and they’re loving great. I did one with lemon zest and juice in the batter and lemon curd as the bottom/top, and it was glorious

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I recently started doing steamed puddings as an essentially free (not really free, but made with stuff I always have in the house) way of having a dessert for the kids, and they’re loving great. I did one with lemon zest and juice in the batter and lemon curd as the bottom/top, and it was glorious

We were discussing at dinner different variations and I thought of lemon zest and juice as an option! I hadn’t thought of lemon curd though, which is a masterstroke. Do you just use shop-bought and put a few spoons in the base of the basin?

Speaking of easy and cheap puddings, do you ever make rice pudding? Really delicious, especially with a bit of cinnamon, saffron and lemon zest.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

We were discussing at dinner different variations and I thought of lemon zest and juice as an option! I hadn’t thought of lemon curd though, which is a masterstroke. Do you just use shop-bought and put a few spoons in the base of the basin?

Yes, because I am lazy and the great thing about steamed pudding is that it is a perfect lazy dessert, I am a big fan. Not gluten free, but this recipe is very good and highly adaptable. I really started making steamed puddings as a way to use up eggs, the chickens lay more than we can eat, and I don’t like my neighbours enough to give them any.

therattle posted:

Speaking of easy and cheap puddings, do you ever make rice pudding? Really delicious, especially with a bit of cinnamon, saffron and lemon zest.

I love rice pudding, but I rarely make it, because no-one else in my family likes it. It makes me very sad that this is the case, but I’m stuck with them now.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Yes, because I am lazy and the great thing about steamed pudding is that it is a perfect lazy dessert, I am a big fan. Not gluten free, but this recipe is very good and highly adaptable. I really started making steamed puddings as a way to use up eggs, the chickens lay more than we can eat, and I don’t like my neighbours enough to give them any.

I love rice pudding, but I rarely make it, because no-one else in my family likes it. It makes me very sad that this is the case, but I’m stuck with them now.

The recipe I used was very similar. I loved how easy it was: weigh ingredients, chuck them into the magimix, mix for a few seconds and pour into the basin. I’d totally used shop curd too; it’s meant to be easy. Like if I make lasagne now it’s such a loving faff that I use readymade tomato sauce. Steamed pudding is good enough to serve to guests, I reckon, and because of the steaming time works really well as one can make it in advance.

Happily my son LOVES rice pudding. He loves most food, but RP is definitely among his favourites. Are you sure it’s too late?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

Are you sure it’s too late?

It’s maybe not too late for my kids, but definitely too late for my wife