Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Idk I feel like they’ve emphasized your trade empire enough that there’s no way there isn’t some mini game built around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Anno posted:

Idk I feel like they’ve emphasized your trade empire enough that there’s no way there isn’t some mini game built around it.

The minigame is actually 3d version of battleship with rpg/progression elements

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah I'm thinking they're probably going for both.

Manage your trade empire like the kingdom in Kingmaker

Command your fleet against the enemy like the battles in WotR

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Of all the things they overreach for and make too complicated, it's the Managment stuff.

Kingmaker was too complex with too many moving parts that could gently caress up your game long term.

Crusade mode was a poorly designed HM&M that had no real strategy or flexibility. Your only reasonable options for combat were to stack archers like crazy and focus exclusively on DPS characters because high defense characters didn't really have the ability to draw aggro or do anything that mattered. The unique units were trash too because you weren't going to get them in a stack large enough to make it worth replacing anything. Also you pretty much had to take a general with a magic attack, or that act 2 battle against gargoyles would be impossible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I do give them points for ambition. If the kingdom management and crusades were entirely optional and linked with picking a specific main character this would be SaGa game worthy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I just fail to understand how they realized the problems in Kingmaker with the Auto mode possible causing a game ending state, and then managed to do the same with certain mythic paths for the Crusade mode. If anything, they should just left the battles only on auto-win and let you handle all the decision management choices.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

pentyne posted:

I just fail to understand how they realized the problems in Kingmaker with the Auto mode possible causing a game ending state, and then managed to do the same with certain mythic paths for the Crusade mode. If anything, they should just left the battles only on auto-win and let you handle all the decision management choices.

We know they’re working on the crusade for either the EE or a future patch, so I wouldn’t be surprised if that option was added along with the rebalance.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
IGN had an article on alpha gameplay impressions, kinda interesting to see how they're building the combat system:

https://www.ign.com/articles/warhammer-40000-rogue-trader-preview-rpg-combat

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I think going an XCOM-like route in terms of cover/shooting mechanics with the depth of a cRPG in terms of skills, abilities, and so on, is a pretty good way to go. I really don't love the idea of hewing close to a tabletop RPG system for singleplayer cRPGs, especially combat systems as bad as the 40k tabletop systems seemed to use.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah that's actually really cool. I like that it's a defined grid, too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Finally, the dnd 4e videogame.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Finally, the dnd 4e videogame.

World of Warcraft came out in 2004 though?!?

for real though that all sounds quite promising, I’m very glad they’re doing a less-than-perfectly-straight adaptation of 40k RPG mechanics

Anno
May 10, 2017

Solid week or so for 40K video game music

https://twitter.com/OwlcatGames/status/1583111070373191680

Also, Sister of Battle companion.

https://twitter.com/OwlcatGames/status/1582386285464866817

Anno fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 20, 2022

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
The theme is pretty good, but a bit different than I expected

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

But what led the young sister away from her duties as a guardian of the reliquary? Was it a holy epiphany or a fall from grace? This remains a tightly held secret…

Sister of Battle is an odd choice for a game that is going to let you recruit non-human allies. Space Wolf not as much because they're really only in it for the fight and loving hate the inquisition so that wouldn't be a hindrance. How they're going to work in the Eldar sniper and the Tau Ethereal(priest-ish looking one) will take some creativity.

The whole human party members part of this game is going to be an interesting aspect of this game if they really do let you go full chaos. As a note, I'm going to assume Owlcat knows that evil and chaos don't have to be synonymous and as a Rogue Trader you would be able to do a ton of 'evil' stuff that is still completely allowed by Imperium law and practices in the heartlands of the empire much less in the wild west equivalent.

Or, you know, full Ork merc party.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I assume that the Sister of Battle and the zenos companions are going to be mutually exclusive.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

pentyne posted:

Sister of Battle is an odd choice for a game that is going to let you recruit non-human allies. Space Wolf not as much because they're really only in it for the fight and loving hate the inquisition so that wouldn't be a hindrance. How they're going to work in the Eldar sniper and the Tau Ethereal(priest-ish looking one) will take some creativity.

The whole human party members part of this game is going to be an interesting aspect of this game if they really do let you go full chaos. As a note, I'm going to assume Owlcat knows that evil and chaos don't have to be synonymous and as a Rogue Trader you would be able to do a ton of 'evil' stuff that is still completely allowed by Imperium law and practices in the heartlands of the empire much less in the wild west equivalent.

Or, you know, full Ork merc party.

they are including a Sister of Battle, I think we can rest assured 'horrifically evil things the imperium has no problem with' are on the table

good character art, too, 'smile that is not going to shift in even the slightest way when they set you on fire' is a hard ask to deliver on

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

That background text does suggest that she's not formally part of the Ecclesiarchy anymore by the time she joins you, so that might be enough of an excuse for her to nominally tolerate Xeno crewmates. It's not entirely without precedent either, these days there's at least one more high-profile Sister who outright pals around with an Eldar to better murder Chaos, Ephrael Stern, though she's also hunted by the Inquisition for it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
In general the Inquisition/Church is going to be the only real problem if you are dealing with Xenos in any capacity beyond murdering the poo poo out of them.

I'm sure some nosey Inquisitor will show up for some side quest or another. The whole region+trading houses precludes most of the typical Ecclesiarch and Ordos Xenos from really getting up to too much trouble for anyone with enough $$$ to throw around.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm definitely going full blood and fire Imperium loyalist the first time though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am thinking whatever makes sense as being the most profitable that does not involve Chaos.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The most recent rpg had ways for the empire to team up with some xenos.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

we can have a little Ynnari cooperation, as a treat

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
And of course, the reply to finding the first female character (I think) is "WAIFU FOUND!"

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

SirFozzie posted:

And of course, the reply to finding the first female character (I think) is "WAIFU FOUND!"

This is the 3d one they have showcased

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

There's been two before Argenta, an Unsanctioned Psyker, Idira Tlass and your Navigator, Cassia Orsellio. There's also the Trader the player gains their commission from, Theodora von Valancius, but she's probably a tutorial companion at most.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

pentyne posted:

Or, you know, full Ork merc Mek party.
:hmmorks:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pentyne posted:

In general the Inquisition/Church is going to be the only real problem if you are dealing with Xenos in any capacity beyond murdering the poo poo out of them.

I'm sure some nosey Inquisitor will show up for some side quest or another. The whole region+trading houses precludes most of the typical Ecclesiarch and Ordos Xenos from really getting up to too much trouble for anyone with enough $$$ to throw around.

The only portion of the Inquisition guaranteed to go ballistic over any Xenos interactions would be Puritanical Ordo Xenos members. More centralized ones, and particularly Radicals, are very much going to take it on a case-by-case basis (or even potentially actively encourage it in the latter case), and other segments of the Inquisition are generally only going to care inasmuch as it pertains to their own focuses. The Ecclesiarchy is a different matter, but has far less official enforcement power in the first place.

From the description the SIster will likely have conflicts with any Xenos people you recruit. Said conflicts escalating to lethal levels certainly isn't impossible (shades of certain Baldur's Gate party compositions, for one example), but probably won't be inevitable. Ultimately though you're a Rogue Trader and have very large degrees of latitude in pursuing your job - an Inquisitor has the right to officially sanction you, but a random Ecclesiarchy member does not.

Unless there's a way to corrupt her though, she's absolutely going to try and shoot you if you go the full Chaos route (same with the Space Wolf and likely the Eldar Ranger).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It kind of begs the question, if you go full chaos do the companions either leave/fight you or will there be a way to slowly 'taint' them during the playthrough before you go full mask off Chaos god worship.

Otherwise it's either generics to fill space or maybe you just get chaos themed versions of your party members in the form of chaos daemons.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

Ultimately though you're a Rogue Trader and have very large degrees of latitude in pursuing your job - an Inquisitor has the right to officially sanction you, but a random Ecclesiarchy member does not.

Yeah, isn't the point that a Rogue Trader is kind of allowed to deal with xenos to some degree(barring the deadlier exceptions)? They're explorers, it's in the job description.

If the Emperor says its ok then who has the right to complain?

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 20, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

Hellbore posted:

There's been two before Argenta, an Unsanctioned Psyker, Idira Tlass and your Navigator, Cassia Orsellio. There's also the Trader the player gains their commission from, Theodora von Valancius, but she's probably a tutorial companion at most.

I hope they find a way to pass you the torch and keep her around (though I don’t expect it) because she looks rad

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

pentyne posted:

It kind of begs the question, if you go full chaos do the companions either leave/fight you or will there be a way to slowly 'taint' them during the playthrough before you go full mask off Chaos god worship.

Otherwise it's either generics to fill space or maybe you just get chaos themed versions of your party members in the form of chaos daemons.

Probably. Owlcat's previous game had extremes of character path like this. I'd guess this one will feature options to corrupt/kill companions as you go down Chaos or renegade pathways. The lich mythic path from Pathfinder 2 involved turning some companions into undead thralls and others leaving you because you're a monster now.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
In theory, beyond the boundaries of the Imperium proper, within the remit granted by the Writ of Trade, a Rogue Trader speaks with the Emperor’s Voice and is not subordinate to the Inquisition. In practice, this depends on 1) How much power and influence the Rogue Trader has, 2) how much power and influence the Inquisitor has, and 3) Whether or not either side thinks they can get away with trying to flex on the other.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Preechr posted:

In theory, beyond the boundaries of the Imperium proper, within the remit granted by the Writ of Trade, a Rogue Trader speaks with the Emperor’s Voice and is not subordinate to the Inquisition. In practice, this depends on 1) How much power and influence the Rogue Trader has, 2) how much power and influence the Inquisitor has, and 3) Whether or not either side thinks they can get away with trying to flex on the other.

once in a while you get an Inquisitor who was given a Writ of Trade as a very expensive "please get the hell out of my house and go be someone else's problem." there are very few points of agreement between Rogue Traders and Inquisitors, and one of them is god, gently caress those guys.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

once in a while you get an Inquisitor who was given a Writ of Trade as a very expensive "please get the hell out of my house and go be someone else's problem." there are very few points of agreement between Rogue Traders and Inquisitors, and one of them is god, gently caress those guys.

Given a writ by who?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The Imperium is falling apart on every level, and doesn't function on codified laws so much as "Yeah, that sounds about right."

So given a warrant by anyone who seems like they might have the authority to do so, and won't be challenged on it.

If I run a ttrpg game of Rogue Trader again, I intend the players to learn if they ever open the stasis vault it's kept in that their warrant is a forgery. But they're rich and powerful so as long as they don't piss off someone richer and more powerful, it's just ignored.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Isn't this supposed to take place in the modern 40k setting? Where the current ruler has had the ally with Eldar multiple times?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

1) its probably not super current, and might even be pre fall of cadia, and 2) the emperor doesn't make those calls and never has, on account of he is a rotting corpse. The only eldar/Imperium alliances have been in moments of convenience and never as a broad mandate, just individuals and small groups across planets and stuff.

Rogue Traders are specifically noteworthy for making alliances with individual xenos last for a while. A sister of battle likely wouldn't care though.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
There are basically two kinds or Writ of Trade, "modern" versions handed out by the Administratum in the Emperor's name and the original Writs, signed by the Emperor Himself. If your family has one of those original Writs, you're basically untouchable by the regular levers of power in the Imperium, since your actions are sanctioned by the Emperor Himself. That doesn't mean that a particularly zealous Inquisitor might not take exception have work to try and have you destroyed if you offend their sensibilities enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT (re: Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau):

ENCYCLOPEDIA: Your mangled brain would like you to know that there is a Primarch called Contact Mike.