Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Linking from the right wing media thread. Tucker Carlson is really, *really* not trying to hide the mask off bigotry anymore. This poo poo's getting loving dark. This is where the Republican party is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bird food bathtub posted:

Linking from the right wing media thread. Tucker Carlson is really, *really* not trying to hide the mask off bigotry anymore. This poo poo's getting loving dark. This is where the Republican party is now.

always has been

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Wasabi the J posted:

always has been

Yeah, sometimes I need to be reminded that poo poo has been bad for a long time, the bad is just more visible than it used to be due to several factors (people paying attention now, tech, social media).

https://twitter.com/thejasonkirk/status/1580193662377463809?t=JF6iiECka8yEhQbTIU4pRA&s=19

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the good time was Reagan

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah, sometimes I need to be reminded that poo poo has been bad for a long time, the bad is just more visible than it used to be due to several factors (people paying attention now, tech, social media).

https://twitter.com/thejasonkirk/status/1580193662377463809?t=JF6iiECka8yEhQbTIU4pRA&s=19

The difference between a major party condemning or at least remaining silent vs embracing and encouraging is indeed worse.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Stultus Maximus posted:

The difference between a major party condemning or at least remaining silent vs embracing and encouraging is indeed worse.

Eh Reagan press sec and a buncha staffers / a few congressmen would openly laugh when reporters would try to bring up AIDS stuff and use it to poke fun at the reporter by asking why they were so curious. Happened for years.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Stultus Maximus posted:

My hot take is that it doesn't matter as much as we thought. The net effect of going from Paul Ryan's "we want lower taxes and no racism (wink)" to Donald Trump's "we want lower taxes and to do a racism" was just fewer Republican voters spraining their wrists making jerkoff motions at Paul Ryan. Actual Republican voters have been out of sync with their leaders' rhetoric for decades, so the voters just followed the radio/TV talkers. Donnie realized the gap between leader/voter rhetoric, charged in, and ruined joint center business.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

facialimpediment posted:

My hot take is that it doesn't matter as much as we thought. The net effect of going from Paul Ryan's "we want lower taxes and no racism (wink)" to Donald Trump's "we want lower taxes and to do a racism" was just fewer Republican voters spraining their wrists making jerkoff motions at Paul Ryan. Actual Republican voters have been out of sync with their leaders' rhetoric for decades, so the voters just followed the radio/TV talkers. Donnie realized the gap between leader/voter rhetoric, charged in, and ruined joint center business.

Lets make one thing clear, in no way did Donnie boy understand what he was doing. He did not see a racism niche and manufactured a thought to fill it. He was and is speaking his unfiltered sewage of a mind directly, and fell rear end backwards into the fact that the universal republican voter is as racist as him.
They blew the dog whistles so hard because Obama that they suddenly all heard it out loud

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

golden bubble posted:

A reminder that unlike the US, where anyone who checks the R or D box can be considered a party member, UK parties generally only consider active members as party members. We are talking about people willing to give regular donations and show up to at least local meetings. Only about 2% of the voters are members of a UK party. These are the people who elected BoJo and Jeremy Corbyn. Think of them as the people who have shown up for at least 10 primaries in a row in the US system.

Yeah you are only a party member if you join and pay a subscription. There's currently zero chance of a general election as Labour is 30+ points in the lead in opinion polls and if the Tories called an election now they would be out off office for 8 years minimum and with the probability they wouldn't even be the opposition party, the Lib-Dems would hoover up a massive number of Tory seats. It really is car crash TV, it's just a pity I am sat in the back seat of that car.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Burt posted:

It really is car crash TV, it's just a pity I am sat in the back seat of that car.

Godspeed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B83jdOH0Q1c

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:piss:

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

I think that could work yeah.
My train of thought hasn't been so much "thorough on the tech side" as it has been "resigned to my fate".

I'm sure someone smarter than I am has looked into this but could you describe the trigger the image has in technical terms? I'm interested in a preload image analysis browser plugin to try and catch these and block loading or reprocess the image to remove the issue to prevent the effect.

Probably couldn't work on the app but I'm interested in potential solutions to this problem (which honestly may be beyond the scope of my programming ability or what a browser plugin can do, I've never worked on those)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Just out of curiosity, have you ever partaken of what the kids these days call “Marijuana?”

I ask because I know a few epileptics that swear by THC. One is the only living person alive with his disorder (He sorta has two faces and like 1.5 brains. I’m describing it poorly, but yeah only person alive with it, and his mom, my friend, took his seizures from hundreds a day to occasional with high THC tincture)

Even if it does nothing for your epilepsy smoke weed anyway. Life’s better that way.

What do you mean 2 faces?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Spaceguns posted:

I'm sure someone smarter than I am has looked into this but could you describe the trigger the image has in technical terms? I'm interested in a preload image analysis browser plugin to try and catch these and block loading or reprocess the image to remove the issue to prevent the effect.

Probably couldn't work on the app but I'm interested in potential solutions to this problem (which honestly may be beyond the scope of my programming ability or what a browser plugin can do, I've never worked on those)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987999

Serth has a very interesting thread in this very subforum where they discuss things like what triggers them in images. It's worth a read.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

"Eyy bruv, they say I'm the new Proime Ministah now. 'Parently the last guy they asked said, 'U wot, mate? gently caress off out of here, you cheeky bastard' so then they told me to come to 10 Downing Street."

Weak and decadent western squat. In true gopnik form you keep your heels on the ground.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Dance Officer posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987999

Serth has a very interesting thread in this very subforum where they discuss things like what triggers them in images. It's worth a read.

Thank you!

I was just about to link that thread as well, let me see if I can dig up the most relevant post in that thread.

Okay so start with this post:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987999&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post524843875

Then go straight on to this post:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987999&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post525898202

If you can do programmer magic that makes it safer to be photosensitive and online, I know of about 1½million people who'd find this very very interesting.
Do let me know if I can help.

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 21, 2022

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah I didn't want to pry but a dude with a head and a half sounds wild.

Also Iran's involvement in Ukraine is up to "trainers" now apparently.

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

If you can do programmer magic that makes it safer to be photosensitive and online, I know of about 1½million people who'd find this very very interesting.
Do let me know if I can help.

Probably not but I've done plenty of hobbyist level image processing and analysis programs so what the hell I'll look into it during some free time.

Going down the rabbit hole of academic papers and seeing what PhotosensitivityPal, HardingFPA, Peat and some others do. Doubt I can do better and anything I come up with may be too intrusive like default greyscaling everything, low contrast conversion when high contrast is detected, and no autoplay gifs. Maybe I'll think of something novel but I'm still reading about the academic analysis of the triggers.

Spaceguns fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 21, 2022

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1583514039787094017?s=20&t=NbC0WLGdBUShOOBWtFVWGA

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Well, THAT is going to be an interesting day of either, "I am taking the 5th" or word salad followed by a riot of some sort.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ASAPI posted:

Well, THAT is going to be an interesting day of either, "I am taking the 5th" or word salad followed by a riot of some sort.

My initial thought is that he refuses to show but I got nothing to support that other than a hunch.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
What the gently caress happened to CNN? I never cared for their articles to begin with but lately I've noticed on my news aggregator app that their articles these days could have just as easily been found on Fox News instead.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mustang posted:

What the gently caress happened to CNN? I never cared for their articles to begin with but lately I've noticed on my news aggregator app that their articles these days could have just as easily been found on Fox News instead.

They had a leadership shakeup in June. The new guy is trying to both sides Republican bullshit in an attempt to pick up market share, not realizing that the brand is poison to anyone on the right regardless of what they say and the only thing they're going to accomplish is alienating their existing viewers.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Watching Kelly become the Joker in real time.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Diprosopus. Caused by an abnormality in the (I poo poo you not it’s actually named this) Sonic the Hedge Hog gene.

His mom is super woman, he may have been dealt a tough hand with that disorder but he was given exactly the right mom to help him in this world.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sacrist65 posted:

Watching Kelly become the Joker in real time.

:stare: What the fuuuuck

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Arrath posted:

:stare: What the fuuuuck

"What the fuuuuck" is pretty much reality now. It's a fair characterization of what's been going on with Walker.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

They had a leadership shakeup in June. The new guy is trying to both sides Republican bullshit in an attempt to pick up market share, not realizing that the brand is poison to anyone on the right regardless of what they say and the only thing they're going to accomplish is alienating their existing viewers.

Discovery got CNN in their HBO/Time Warner/whatever merger.

They're loving with the morning show I liked. John and Brianna have good banter chemistry. The merger also killed a bunch of stuff on adult swim, including Joe Pera. TBS lost Sam Bee, that Chad show (right before the second season was to premiere). The merger is loving awful for the consumer and a complete shitshow. The CNN+ shitshow looks minor comparatively.

I'll be pissed when they nuke American Dad.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Discovery is cancer.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It's not a right wing billionaire plot to shape public discourse, honest! :aloom:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kesper North posted:

It's not a right wing billionaire plot to shape public discourse, honest! :aloom:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/mstratford/status/1583585212025696256

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

How the gently caress do they have standing?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
because the law doesnt matter unless youre poor or in opposition of the ruling government

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

because the law doesnt matter unless youre poor or in opposition of the ruling government

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Crab Dad posted:

How the gently caress do they have standing?

They don't. They tried the District Court, which killed the lawsuit for standing purposes. But, this Appeals Court only has one Democrat appointee on it, so they made up an Administrative Stay that's actually a Preliminary Injunction because rules don't matter when you have the judicial votes.

No debt was scheduled to be discharged anyways for quite some time, but this is a dumb, bullshit ruling that may be / may not be temporary, but right now doesn't actually gently caress with anything.

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1583589599627988992

But again, the above doesn't matter because I'm interpreting rules and these courts haven't given a gently caress about them for quite some time.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
They should ignore it

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Proud Christian Mom posted:

They should ignore it

With a. Conservative supreme court I don't think that would be a winning play. At least not yet. Gonna have to turn public opinion against an institution that most people pay 0 attention to. Its gonna be a carefully choreographed process of they're actually going to successfully pack the court.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Nothing says that you feel secure in power like feeling the need to publicly humiliate an octogenarian.
https://twitter.com/dansoncj/status/1583663702896967680
Closer shot showing he's clearly not going willingly. gently caress the Pooh Bear piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

lightpole posted:

The Truss government is conservative ideology in a nutshell and what happens when its implemented with no checks.

Did she actually get anything implemented? I thought her big plan was the economic "fix" which was rolled back when the markets imploded.