Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Action-Bastard posted:

All I know about this current board is that it's using browns, the rest is a mystery. If I like this cheap mystery board enough, would a proper mechanical keyboard be worth the expense?

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're asking a thread full of enthusiasts who own several boards that cost hundreds of dollars each, not to mention the shelves full of keycaps. Obviously it's worth it to us :v:, but the only person who can accurately answer your question is you.

If you're happy with your current board and your question is more along the lines of wondering if there's room for improvement, then yes, there most certainly is - but it's a also matter of diminishing returns, which again vary based on preference. If you already know what you like and/or dislike about your current board, we can perhaps give you more specific advice about what to look into for a future keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Action-Bastard posted:

Hello Thread,

So I'm dipping my toes into the mechanical keyboard obsession.... I managed to scored a cheap 60% with Cherry MX Browns*.

I like it, but I am not sure if I like it for Ducky One 2 money....

All I know about this current board is that it's using browns, the rest is a mystery. If I like this cheap mystery board enough, would a proper mechanical keyboard be worth the expense?
If you're interested, that keyboard could be your introduction to modding. Apparently there's a version of your board that's hot swap, so you could try different switches and see if you have a favourite kind (if you care at all!), but even if it's not (and at 20$ it might very well be the older not-hot-swap version) you could try one of the surprisingly many mods that you can do with tape and see if you notice/care about the sounds that your board make when typing. If you become an addict, at least you'll have a much better idea of what to look for when you get your next keyboard, and if you find out that you only really care about a clean typing experience, you'll have saved some money!

Some youtubes if you're looking for a place to start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt5ajRZBeYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBwE4Lm3ZNI

Speaking of 60%, I had been looking for one off and on to have a small form factor with linears to complement my 96% tactile and finally bought pre/back-ordered a Wooting 60HE. It's getting insane reviews and seems like much less of a gimmick and way more customizable than I originally thought. Should be here in January!

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Badly Jester posted:

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're asking a thread full of enthusiasts who own several boards that cost hundreds of dollars each, not to mention the shelves full of keycaps. Obviously it's worth it to us :v:, but the only person who can accurately answer your question is you.

Well I had to ask somebody! :v:

Anyways. The more I type on that cheap 60% the more I like it.

So I decided I will take the next step and try out a Keychron w/ Browns
https://a.co/4wCdrvV

I'm going to order from Amazon so if I change my mind I can return it. Then I'm going to put on some pudding key caps because they look cool.

Action-Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 20, 2022

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

does anyone have any suggestions for a num macropad, preferably with media controls and a knob?

alternatively has there been any full sized keyboard runs out there?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Splash Attack posted:

does anyone have any suggestions for a num macropad, preferably with media controls and a knob?

alternatively has there been any full sized keyboard runs out there?

i use a murphpad at work as a numpad/macropad for solidworks and it rules. has a knob but no media controls

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i use a murphpad at work as a numpad/macropad for solidworks and it rules. has a knob but no media controls

I’ve had my eye on this one for a while but haven’t pulled the trigger

https://www.keebmonkey.com/products/megalodon-triple-knob-macro-pad

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Action-Bastard posted:

I'm going to order from Amazon so if I change my mind I can return it. Then I'm going to put on some pudding key caps because they look cool.

That's a great keyboard that I only stopped using because I'm a stupid idiot who apparently hates money, but I have to say that finding compatible keycaps for a 96% is kind of a challenge and I never managed to find a compatible pudding set. The most challenging keys, if I recall correctly, are the 1u "0" on the numpad, the R4 (top row) "Delete"/"End"/"PgDn" keys (depending on profile) and, to a lesser extent, the 1.75u right "shift" key.

There's an easy workaround; any 1u key you can just replace with blanks, novelties or a different key, but if you're not used to a 96% it can be a little frustrating when precisely the keys that are in weird new places are the ones that don't have a legend. Just make sure that you have a 1.75u "shift" but that's the easier one to find.

I'm pretty sure that you can find literally anything on AliExpress if you're okay with that. This would seem to work, for example. But QC isn't always great, a lot of people don't like AliExpress because vendors often rip off keycap designs (although I wouldn't think this applies to generic white/black puddings) and obviously shipping takes a while.

If you're ok with losing the shine-through, for 96% I'm a huge fan of Akko sets: https://www.amazon.ca/Akko-Double-S...aps%2C73&sr=8-4

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

This redditor managed to do it

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Action-Bastard posted:

I'm currently using that same keyboard as my work/travel keyboard. It's been a great keyboard. My only complaint is, since they relocated some of the keys, they're in non-standard rows which can make buying keycaps a bit difficult. Took me a while to find a set I like that matches (mostly) correctly. The only key that looks a bit odd is 'End' as it's shorter than the others and a different color (They're gradient color caps).
The other possibly problematic keys are:
1.00 instead of 1.25: right Alt, right Ctrl, right function, 0/insert on the 10 key cluster
different height: delete, home, pg up, pg dwn.

The other (much smaller) complaint, is some of the extra functions (that make use of the function key + [key]) are printed on the stock caps, but many aftermarket caps may not. I don't blame them, as those functions can vary from keyboard to keyboard. So, if you replace the caps, you'll have to remember what the combos are to use those functions. I rarely do, so it doesn't really bother me much.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Action-Bastard posted:

This redditor managed to do it

That's the K2 (75%), not the K4 (96%).

edit: Well, in any case, that's obviously a combination of the original caps and pudding. If that's what you want instead of full pudding, it'll work.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 20, 2022

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Hmmm you know it's sounding like I might need to go 100%

As rarely as I use them. I do like having all the buttons.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Action-Bastard posted:

I get that; not having a dedicated Print Screen key actually impacted my productivity and is a not-insignificant part of the reason I convinced myself I needed a iQunix F97.

If you're in love with the 96% form factor (and I'm only saying this because I am), you can get a VIA/QMK compatible keyboard and reprogram all the keys to your liking so while you're always going to miss 4 keys, you can choose which ones. Like, how often do you use the letter Q anyway?

But that's starting to get kinda deep in the keyboard rabbit hole. At some point it's also cool to just get a nice 100%.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Action-Bastard posted:

Why stop at 100%

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Why stop at 100%

:byodood:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I really like the Keychron V1. It tilts up higher than my Q5 and do I need a numpad?

Built this one with Gateron Milky Yellows and experimented with taping the back of the board. I don't know if I actually like the sound more, I feel like the spacebar is muffled.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
New board built and keycaps on

e: keycaps are pbtfans resonance, kb = fox labs sandglass ergo. Some aliexpress imitation holy pandas as switches.
Not 100% sold on the caps colorway for a white board yet...

Opioid fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 21, 2022

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Amusingly, that still counts as a 75% board

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Opioid posted:

e: keycaps are pbtfans resonance, kb = fox labs sandglass ergo. Some aliexpress imitation holy pandas as switches.

Looks pretty cool! Perfect spill into keyboard distance on your glass, too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CordlessPen posted:

I get that; not having a dedicated Print Screen key actually impacted my productivity and is a not-insignificant part of the reason I convinced myself I needed a iQunix F97.
Have you not yet discovered the wonders of Win+Shift+S? It's like Print Screen but then lets you immediately crop out just the screen, window, or section of screen you want. So much nicer in the majority of cases when you don't actually care about the entire desktop.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

wolrah posted:

Have you not yet discovered the wonders of Win+Shift+S? It's like Print Screen but then lets you immediately crop out just the screen, window, or section of screen you want. So much nicer in the majority of cases when you don't actually care about the entire desktop.

Counterpoint: the ability to edit the image (put a box around something, etc.) is just completely Not There and I don't know why something so basic is not included in the tool by default. Just frustrating as all hell.

Yeah you get the pens but then you have to freehand your circle and I am just not good at that :(

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zarin posted:

Counterpoint: the ability to edit the image (put a box around something, etc.) is just completely Not There and I don't know why something so basic is not included in the tool by default. Just frustrating as all hell.

Yeah you get the pens but then you have to freehand your circle and I am just not good at that :(

It puts it in the clipboard so you can just immediately paste it into paint

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Shear Modulus posted:

It puts it in the clipboard so you can just immediately paste it into paint

Huh, I guess the way I have it configured is to just pop the image up in its own editor. Which is nice because you could begin editing immediately . . . if the editor wasn't an afterthought I guess.

Having to paste it into Paint is an extra step that neither Greenshot nor Snag-It require . . . and I feel like having a whole two "shape" options wouldn't have been too hard to implement.

Given that, if I wasn't so terribly lazy I'd install one of those two programs on my home PC; I'm pretty sure you can set custom shortcuts in both those programs. Instead, I simply bemoan WIN+SHIFT+S the one time a month I need a screenshot on my home PC. I would probably die if I had to do that at work (I take a LOT of screenshots)

Edit: It's just frustrating because Windows was SO CLOSE to having something that was nearly as good as freeware but then they decided :effort: I guess.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Rexxed posted:

Looks pretty cool! Perfect spill into keyboard distance on your glass, too.

lol

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Opioid posted:

What is that funky little display you have?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

wolrah posted:

Yeah, that's what I had to do (actually, we use 3rd party software for screengrabs so it was ctrl+shift+s I believe) but it took me a bit to get used to it and it happened to be just as I was eyeing another keyboard for mostly other reasons.

Look, I need to justify my money wasting, gimme a break.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

ijyt posted:

What is that funky little display you have?

Another AliExpress purchase. Can just search for portable long travel monitor, there’s a ton of size options. Works good for fitting in a small second monitor for minor stuff

Not to worry, after previous spills I now proceed with utmost caution for every sip from a glass.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zarin posted:

Huh, I guess the way I have it configured is to just pop the image up in its own editor. Which is nice because you could begin editing immediately . . . if the editor wasn't an afterthought I guess.
It does both, it puts the cropped image in the clipboard and gives you a notification that can be clicked to bring up the editor. I agree that the lack of shape drawing tools is a very strange oversight, but it's still better than the base Print Screen behavior of just slamming the entire desktop in to the clipboard and letting you figure out what to do from there.

quote:

Having to paste it into Paint is an extra step that neither Greenshot nor Snag-It require . . . and I feel like having a whole two "shape" options wouldn't have been too hard to implement.

Given that, if I wasn't so terribly lazy I'd install one of those two programs on my home PC; I'm pretty sure you can set custom shortcuts in both those programs. Instead, I simply bemoan WIN+SHIFT+S the one time a month I need a screenshot on my home PC. I would probably die if I had to do that at work (I take a LOT of screenshots)
If you're bringing third party software in to the equation that's a different matter, but as you pointed out yourself it's reasonable to assume a third party screenshot tool allows customizing the shortcut keys.

CordlessPen posted:

Look, I need to justify my money wasting, gimme a break.
Haha no judgement there, I've been eyeing that Megalodon triple knob macropad for a few weeks even though I haven't even built my FK1 yet and now Opioid has me considering whether I could make use of one of those bar displays.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

unfortunately it looks a little bit too daunting for me to put together, but i think it's definitely something to try out in the future.

Opioid posted:

I’ve had my eye on this one for a while but haven’t pulled the trigger

https://www.keebmonkey.com/products/megalodon-triple-knob-macro-pad

oh i'd been eyeing that too, but i've also been considering the 30% version.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
got rid of a computer desk, have a KVM, now the only keyboard connected are a Das and then the DAW has a keychron and the pi has some corsair thing. I didn't know what to do with my other KBs so I did this :shrug:

they are at exactly the right height for our 18 month old to come gently caress with them but my wall space in here is limited.

A friend just got the Moonlander split and he likes it. it has my attention.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I just got a Keychron K10 with aluminum case for $76 :toot:

It will be here in December :butt:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody have any suggestions on a good wireless keyboard/mouse combo for use in a living room? I have one of those cheap gray Logitec keyboards and I keep losing keystrokes and mouse clicks. This is occurring even when I swap to new batteries and the KB/M is maybe 6-8 feet away from the PC. Just looking for something more reliable than what I have now.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
If it's for a HTPC kind of situation and if by "cheap gray Logitech keyboard" you don't mean that you already have a Logitech K400 that would be my recommendation. Not sure about what I'd recommend for an actual mouse though.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Vargatron posted:

Anybody have any suggestions on a good wireless keyboard/mouse combo for use in a living room? I have one of those cheap gray Logitec keyboards and I keep losing keystrokes and mouse clicks. This is occurring even when I swap to new batteries and the KB/M is maybe 6-8 feet away from the PC. Just looking for something more reliable than what I have now.

I use a cheap little RII keyboard I got off amazon for my bedroom htpc. It's got back lighted keys and a little crappy touchpad but it's palm-sized so it's closer to an actual TV remote than a full keyboard like the Logitech. Seems to have good signal range and I don't miss keystrokes like you mentioned.

Dr_0ctag0n fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 4, 2022

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I originally ordered a Logitech MK545, and that's the model I'm having an issue with. I'll probably check out the K400 since I won't have to deal with an extra mouse.

It's kind of a HTPC with a GTX 1070 stuck in it, but I do all my gaming with a wired controller anyway. Thanks for the suggestions.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Vargatron posted:

I originally ordered a Logitech MK545, and that's the model I'm having an issue with. I'll probably check out the K400 since I won't have to deal with an extra mouse.

It's kind of a HTPC with a GTX 1070 stuck in it, but I do all my gaming with a wired controller anyway. Thanks for the suggestions.

Make sure the keyboard's dongle isn't in a USB 3 port, or put it on a little USB extension if you have one handy. I rarely have issues but when I've had problems with a logitech m650 it was because its receiver was next to a flash drive. Removing the flash drive fixed it up. It could also just be a bad one, though. I like the K400 as well for basic HTPC use, it's pretty foolproof.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rexxed posted:

or put it on a little USB extension if you have one handy

Was going to suggest this

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I had to put the dongle for my MX Master on a USB hub on my desk so it has functionally an open line of sight. I'd get bad dropouts when it was plugged into the back of my desktop sitting on the floor.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i already had a mouse bungee so i jammed a USB extension cable into it and use it to hold up the mouse dongle in clear line of sight

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I had to put the dongle for my MX Master on a USB hub on my desk so it has functionally an open line of sight. I'd get bad dropouts when it was plugged into the back of my desktop sitting on the floor.

I do this for every external dongle - Wifi, Zigbee, Bluetooth, Logitech - so many USB hubs and enclosures affect the signal, from my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I had the FOB plugged into the front of the PC which is maybe 4-6 feet away from the coffee table the existing keyboard is on. I think I'll order the K400 today and give that a whirl.