Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
they pulled your face out. problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

zoux posted:

Kind of the thing about the common folk before, oh 1800, was that they were all hideous, missing teeth, boils, goiters, rashes, open, weeping sores, that sort of thing. So were the nobles but they could use make ups filled with poisonous metals to mask the worst of it.

Binge rewatching GOT it's been funny to see every tertiary character go from wrinkled dirt covered faces to pristine skin and makeup. The Dothraki all look like cosplayers with their smooth skin, perfect eyeliner and Just For Men dyed beards

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Most "premodern peoples were all ugly cripples n poo poo" discourse is essentially pro-fossil fuel propaganda to cultivate the idea that every single quality of life we have is a consequence of technological progress

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Mameluke posted:

Most "premodern peoples were all ugly cripples n poo poo" discourse is essentially pro-fossil fuel propaganda to cultivate the idea that every single quality of life we have is a consequence of technological progress

that was basically my point i probably didn't make it that well

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mameluke posted:

No, it isn't.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

roomtone posted:

agreed

so why did she burst through the floor

because she's a noble and doesn't give a gently caress about normal people. the crowd was totally irrelevant

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
also it was cool

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Phenotype posted:

Please tell me this isn't worth reading. I'm thoroughly enjoying this stupid Dragon House show and gently caress, that actually sounds like a very interesting setup for a book, but I swore I wouldn't spend another dime on anything gurm until he finishes Winds of Winter (and even then i might just pirate it because gently caress gurm).

Yeah, it's not dumb because of characters not following tactical realism or whatever, it's just that the scene shouldn't have happened. The only way it makes any sense at all is if she flew over there intending to kill them, and just kinda couldn't go through with it once she saw them all on the stage, even after she's just murdered a hundred innocent people. Which, okay, fine, I can accept that she had a change of heart, but it makes the scene feel somewhat manipulative on the part of the producers -- she JUST SO HAPPENS to make a huge spectacle at the end of the episode but stops short of killing any named characters. It feels contrived.

You’re also assuming that she has a moral system where she values the lives of commoners as much as her family. Any evidence to back that up?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

roomtone posted:

like the idea that before colgate and modern denistry we were all just walking around in constant agony. it's advertising. i'm sure some of us were. but if i think about it, my teeth have actually been completely fine
my dude, you brush your teeth and they put flouride in your drinking water

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah even thorough revolutionary america times people basically lost all their teeth quite young and either munched slop or had dentures.

Modern medicine is a freaking medical - for both performance and aesthetics

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do you know what a small pox survivor looks like? No, of course you don't because we eradicated the disease in the 70's - or so the oil companies claim - but you were hosed up looking for life. And that's just one of many permanently disfiguring diseases caused by bacteria, parasites, and malnutrition.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
all right i'm wrong on the teeth issue i'll accept that

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://i.imgur.com/sjfZW57.mp4

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

zoux posted:

My friend, medieval dentistry is not "figured out"
Medieval teeth were, however, much better than early 20th century teeth. People have been making tooth pastes and various tools for dental health for thousands of years, and it's only in the quite recent past that sugar became such a major part of the diet of ordinary people that it really began to do a number on their teeth. Which makes sense, given that teeth that would just rot for no drat reason would have seen our ancestors die out way before they came up with tooth paste.

Of course if you were the type of person who could afford to chow down on lemon cakes on the regular you'd be combining bad diet with bad dental care, and end up with a breath second only to that of a dragon.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Medieval teeth were, however, much better than early 20th century teeth. People have been making tooth pastes and various tools for dental health for thousands of years, and it's only in the quite recent past that sugar became such a major part of the diet of ordinary people that it really began to do a number on their teeth. Which makes sense, given that teeth that would just rot for no drat reason would have seen our ancestors die out way before they came up with tooth paste.

Of course if you were the type of person who could afford to chow down on lemon cakes on the regular you'd be combining bad diet with bad dental care, and end up with a breath second only to that of a dragon.

i now rescind my concession on the teeth issue and submit that i have no opinion on medieval teeth at all

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

roomtone posted:

i now rescind my concession on the teeth issue and submit that i have no opinion on medieval teeth at all

We had the scene where Cripplefinger's M-team was de-tongued, should've had a scene where they made dentures for king Goon by removing suitable teeth from slaves

Give me those sweet consultation :10bux: HBO

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

roomtone posted:

that was basically my point i probably didn't make it that well
The true is that most people before 1800 weren't eating sugar like crazy but greens all days with alcohol to make them pass and they spent their days farting, with most their teeth in good state while their livers were poo poo.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
well who fuckin knows

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Thundercracker posted:

The one with deadwood guy doesn't count. It was dumb.

man they had Ian McShane and completely wasted him

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
this must be how alicent feels

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

https://twitter.com/thrones_facts/status/1582892070175326208?s=46&t=bstY66tZYn-2dJ16P0MqrQ

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Okay, maybe time to shut up, writer lady.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
agh sara, please, stamp ma balls. stamp my brain while you're at it.

loving hell. what a shitshow. ep 10 better be good.

THIN ICE

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

roomtone posted:

well who fuckin knows
Archeologists with a shitton of peasants' skulls.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

lmao

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

man they had Ian McShane and completely wasted him
They had Ciaran Hinds too as the King Beyond the Wall and he was one of the "beyond a feast for crows" characters erased from the plot.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
let's not relitigate the abject loving failures of the recent past or christ this is gonna become a mass suicide

hey, olivia cooke. that was a good casting choice! rhys ifans, he's turning out quite well.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
how about emma d'arcy who is introducing thousands of people including me to the idea of being non binary

that's no bad thing

how about that bitch matt smith

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, maybe time to shut up, writer lady.

roomtone posted:

agh sara, please, stamp ma balls. stamp my brain while you're at it.

loving hell. what a shitshow. ep 10 better be good.

THIN ICE

that's a quote from Eve Best, the actress portraying Rhaenys

at least get the target of your ire right!

edit: also Hess isn't just a writer, she's an executive producer on the show.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 21, 2022

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

now for the good poo poo https://twitter.com/nextlevel_br/status/1583123489908588545?s=20&t=y9l1Q9iP-Ar_5YAjAE2a-Q

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
frankly i think it's disgusting you would compared our very adult show called house the dragon with

ugh

with SHREK

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
is spider princess going to be the new crabfeeder, but with spiders? I hope so

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

So Rhaenys is Russia, indiscriminately killing civilians but holding back her nukes?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

nooneofconsequence posted:

So Rhaenys is Russia, indiscriminately killing civilians but holding back her nukes?

she's didn't hold back her nuke, she crashed through the floor and killed everyone but the nobles

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
no character in the show is positive or likeable lmao

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
No finale screeners are going out, so no indications on what to expect from the finale. Critics were already confirming the foot thing last Thursday, and mentioning the episode would be "divisive".

Really hoping they don't screw up the finale, because it has been fun having Game of Thrones back. A week ago I couldn't see them failing to stick the landing, but now I am not so sure.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
at least game of thrones had characters like brienne, everyone is this poo poo is a contemptable shithead

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i just so want the 'foot thing' to be a foot thing of the past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Rhaeny is clearly Biden; dragon fire is no-fly zone; harmless dragon roar is HIMARS.

White worm is Dugin's daughter.