Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Hans is the next Billy Mitchell. Generally speaking suing someone for calling you a cheater when you've admitted to cheating is not a great tactic. Also he literally filed this after finishing a national championship in which he didn't come close to winning despite being the player who beat Magnus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Scipiotik posted:

Hans is the next Billy Mitchell. Generally speaking suing someone for calling you a cheater when you've admitted to cheating is not a great tactic. Also he literally filed this after finishing a national championship in which he didn't come close to winning despite being the player who beat Magnus!

His performance rating in the US Championships was almost exactly his actual rating, as expected. And the way chess.com behaved during all this has been pretty terrible. They released a huge report that essentially cleared him of cheating OTB.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Chess rules

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

tractor fanatic posted:

They released a huge report that essentially cleared him of cheating OTB.

No?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

107. Many people have stated they do not like me and do not want me playing

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Control Volume posted:

Forums>Traditional Games> Chess: Many people have stated they do not like me and do not want me playing

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Control Volume posted:

Chess: Many people have stated they do not like me and do not want me playing

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Control Volume posted:

:vince:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Control Volume posted:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Control Volume posted:

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

tractor fanatic posted:

His performance rating in the US Championships was almost exactly his actual rating, as expected. And the way chess.com behaved during all this has been pretty terrible. They released a huge report that essentially cleared him of cheating OTB.

They didn't clear him, and cheaters are cheaters. He really should get a couple year ban from tournaments.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Very excited for this thread title to show up in court as evidence of a wider pro-magnus conspiracy

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Scipiotik posted:

They didn't clear him, and cheaters are cheaters. He really should get a couple year ban from tournaments.

They did. They are extremely clear in their report there's nothing suspicious about him OTB except for his rapid rise, and even the tournaments they highlight they don't call suspicious. They just point out some overperformance outliers. If Hans has any case at all here, it's that Chess.com put out a big report clearing him of OTB cheating but making it look they called it suspicious.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Lack of evidence for A is not evidence that A is not true. In this case, A is cheating OTB.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

tractor fanatic posted:

They did. They are extremely clear in their report there's nothing suspicious about him OTB except for his rapid rise, and even the tournaments they highlight they don't call suspicious. They just point out some overperformance outliers. If Hans has any case at all here, it's that Chess.com put out a big report clearing him of OTB cheating but making it look they called it suspicious.

They basically said they can't do cheating analysis OTB because they don't have the data they have from his multiple times he was caught cheating online and to which he admitted to, but then lied about the extent. You want to believe a guy who has been caught cheating and lying? Well good for you I guess. I think he'll struggle to get this case past a motion to dismiss since he admits in interviews that he cheats so it is not defamation to call him a cheater.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

Oh hell yes, I was worried this was dying down.

Also still laughing at this post a month ago.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I really don't blame anybody who doesn't want to play against a confessed rampant cheater even if all that cheating happened online

it does seem like the preponderance of the evidence is on no otb cheating but like, it's not like chess.com was doing character assassination of some poor innocent player. If anything, outing people willing to cheat in money tournaments should be the norm

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
except people do play against online cheaters all the time, and that's just the known cheaters which is apparently the tip of the iceberg
I'm sympathetic to the argument that online cheating should be taken seriously but the chess world has not acted at all to make that happen, except in this one case. So I also get why Hans feels persecuted.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Yeah Chess.com is pretty clear that a large number of GMs including some of the top 100 have been caught cheating and been quietly banned for a time. I think they've been acting kidna scummy, just not sure for 100 million dollars scummy.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

A stunning number of my online losses are against cheaters.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I've no idea how the legal system works but I'm assuming 100 million dollars just means "idk a gazillion". Like that's not a real number

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Redmark posted:

I've no idea how the legal system works but I'm assuming 100 million dollars just means "idk a gazillion". Like that's not a real number

basically you just ask for a ridiculous number because it's almost impossible to be rewarded more than you ask for, but asking for way too much doesn't really hard you

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I stand with Hans.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Starsfan posted:

(b) Defendant Hikaru Nakamura (“Nakamura”)—Chess.com’s most
influential streaming partner—acting in collusion with Carlsen and
Chess.com, published hours of video content amplifying and
attempting to bolster Carlsen’s false cheating allegations against
Niemann with numerous additional defamatory statements;

I am by no means a legal expert, but from what I understand it would be next to impossible to prove that Hikaru actually colluded with Magnus and Chess.com in a premeditated or organised manner. Is there such a thing as unintentional (accidental?) collusion? Maybe he can prove that he lost revenue do to Hikaru's videos, but collusion is a hard sell. I imagine he just threw this in as an extra "gently caress you" to Hikaru, but the lawsuit is going to focus more on Magnus and Chess.com?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If there is collusion, it would plausibly leave a paper trail

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I haven't read his lawsuit but I would be pretty interested in an argument that he was potentially targeted given similar or worse records they may have on others. If this case gets to discovery it could be hilarious.

Also, chess.com is being super weird about this. Clearly their policy involves getting admission from people about cheating so that they can reban them later without all the fuss, and it gives them a liability shield.

Given that, it's a super weird choice that they decided to come out with other cheating incidents outside of that set. That doesn't mean they're wrong, or that they have liability is any kind, but they definitely consciously made a decision to switch up their policy.

I feel like it's pretty likely this gets settled for some nominal amount before discovery, assuming it gets past the inevitable motions to dismiss.

As always, I stand in support of the funniest outcome though.

Also, everyone's actions here should lay to rest the idea that being good at chess is the same as being smart.

The legal podcast opening arguments briefly touched on the scandal a few episodes ago, so I would be surprised to see them look at the complaint.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

T.C. posted:

Also, chess.com is being super weird about this. Clearly their policy involves getting admission from people about cheating so that they can reban them later without all the fuss, and it gives them a liability shield.

In the report chess.com said they never got a written confession from Hans. They have a screenshot of Danny Rensch and Hans discussing sending a confession, but Hans never sent it and they didn't chase him for it. I don't know what the legal implications of that are but it probably isn't great for them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Contra Duck posted:

In the report chess.com said they never got a written confession from Hans. They have a screenshot of Danny Rensch and Hans discussing sending a confession, but Hans never sent it and they didn't chase him for it. I don't know what the legal implications of that are but it probably isn't great for them.

he did confess (though to lesser cheating) publicly before the report dropped. The whole stated reason for the report was that Hans allegedly was lying about the extent of his cheating, in his public confession

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Yeah so they don't have a second confession that contradicts his public statement. They would be in a stronger position if they had that.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

lol chess is amazing content please go to discovery

T.C. posted:

The legal podcast opening arguments

Your honor, the defense would like to open with c5

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Contra Duck posted:

Yeah so they don't have a second confession that contradicts his public statement. They would be in a stronger position if they had that.

A stronger position means they go from 99% chance of getting that complaint dismissed to 99.9998% chance.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Contra Duck posted:

maybe danny should send him another reminder asap

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

T.C. posted:

Given that, it's a super weird choice that they decided to come out with other cheating incidents outside of that set. That doesn't mean they're wrong, or that they have liability is any kind, but they definitely consciously made a decision to switch up their policy.

lmao it's pretty clear chess.com doesn't have any consistent policy and just make poo poo up on the fly to be as opportunistic as possible. Didn't they tell Maxim Dlugy that all of their correspondence about the cheating would be confidential but ended up sending that to Vice anyway? Yeah, I get that the guy is a cheater but it still feels pretty weasely to lie about that kind of stuff to extract a confession.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Discovery is the funniest outcome. If its anything as good as when Anish Giri's twitter DMs were leaked, there guys are all capital G gamers in the way they view and talk about the world, and I would love to see their dirty laundry aired.

Also chess.com makes more sense when you realize its just a startup that realized that no one had tried to monetize the url 'chess.com' more effectively, and they're just doing dumb startup bro poo poo all the way.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I didn't know about the Twitter thing. Did Nakamura a drop a n-a please in dms? Yikes

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zak2k12 posted:

I am by no means a legal expert, but from what I understand it would be next to impossible to prove that Hikaru actually colluded with Magnus and Chess.com in a premeditated or organised manner. Is there such a thing as unintentional (accidental?) collusion? Maybe he can prove that he lost revenue do to Hikaru's videos, but collusion is a hard sell. I imagine he just threw this in as an extra "gently caress you" to Hikaru, but the lawsuit is going to focus more on Magnus and Chess.com?

who cares about proof when you can just tell a judge that everyone who has ever been mean to you is colluding in a conspiracy to ruin your life?

quote:

FIFTH CAUSE OF ACTION
(Civil Conspiracy – Against All Defendants)

198. Niemann repeats, reiterates, and re-alleges each and every allegation as contained in the above paragraphs with the same force and effect as if fully set forth herein.

199. Defendants schemed and agreed amongst themselves to repeatedly defame Niemann to members of the chess community and the public at large, in order to improperly cause the chess community to refuse to deal with Niemann, as described more fully above, including by unlawfully banning Niemann from Chess.com’s platform and sponsored events, and blacklisting Niemann from participating in professional chess tournaments.

200. Defendants took multiple overt acts in furtherance of their scheme and agreement, including by making repeated false and defamatory statements accusing Niemann of having cheated during his match against Carlsen on September 4, 2022, unlawfully banning Niemann from Chess.com’s platform and sponsored events, and interfering with his professional relationships, as described more fully above.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
in other words,

Control Volume posted:

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I was not expecting such amazing content from chess. I hope it goes to discovery.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Thread from legal guy https://twitter.com/AkivaMCohen/status/1583225640873959424

EDIT: https://twitter.com/AkivaMCohen/status/1583266796765052928?s=20&t=AdpnOoypGKMdmfAuBjKkkQ

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ALAB when