Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rope kid posted:

I don't want to spoil anything but it's an inquisitorial system, so it does not resemble what we understand as a modern American or European court in appearance or function.

Thanks, now I'm even more intrigued!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

We'll all just have to settle on trial by water, the fairest way to tell if someone is innocent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzwD4zdFmbc&t=3554s

Looks legit to me.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
We have a release date - November 15th.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ilitarist posted:

Oh that's sooner than I expected! Yay

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Sweet

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

ilitarist posted:

Unacceptable. My wife should give birth on early November. Move the release up to October Josh, kthx.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It's not a long game. You might have a chance to beat it a couple of times while your wife is in post-childbirth care. Getting some sleep in advance might be a good idea too.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1562388400841187335

Looks good, rope kid!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Some Previews
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XllxfqCGYOE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peoFzENvK-8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktnQZoTksuQ

If I have some mild criticism, the fact that the main screen space gets pushed in each time you look up underlined information seems like it'd get annoying over time and especially if you're rechecking things.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It’s relatively low frequency in practice. In cases where multiple terms or characters are mentioned at once, the margins will display all of them at once.

The journal also has a running list of all terms and characters as you encounter them, so you can review them that way.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

rope kid posted:

It’s relatively low frequency in practice. In cases where multiple terms or characters are mentioned at once, the margins will display all of them at once.

The journal also has a running list of all terms and characters as you encounter them, so you can review them that way.

Okay, hopefully it's fine. The very long fingers are a big laugh though, almost completely worth it for that.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

We love the long maniculae.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The game is up for pre-order on Steam if you want to do that, too. (I did, because I suspect it positively affects THE ALGORITHM in some way.)

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

The game is up for pre-order on Steam if you want to do that, too. (I did, because I suspect it positively affects THE ALGORITHM in some way.)

I would, but no Mac version is listed :smith:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

That's a solid price point. I hope it sells well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Greatest mystery already solved, you CAN pet the cat! :3:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
'Art Imitates Death' is a supremely simple-but-brilliant tagline

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

idonotlikepeas posted:

And here I go, pre-purchasing games again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Furism posted:

And here I go, pre-purchasing games again.

I feel good about this one because there's no world where I don't get it day of release anyway, and if it does anything to help Obsidian get to make more cool small games like this it's worth it.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
Something just occurred to me (well, apart from RIP me when it releases and I go weird on the wiki): Pentiment is set in the 16th century, which means torture as a legitimate - or, well, legal - method of investigation is a thing, so I wonder if that's going to be included or if Andreas will get to put someone through the grinder. Perhaps it's a fail state, when you end up getting accused of murder?

I'm honestly fascinated with this game, and a lot of it is due to my wife's doctorate being about Bartłomiej Groicki, a iurist from the 16th century who was importing a lot of modern legal institutions and practices into Polish law (limited to cities primarily), and one of these modern, progressive solutions was putting limits on the severity of torture and number of times a suspect can be put through it. I believe he also wrote a treatise exploring the problems of torture, namely that weak people will succumb and say anything for the pain to stop, while hardened criminals will push through the pain and get away.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
feel like they would put it in the content warning if there was torture

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
From what I've understood of the game's context, I don't think Andreas is going to get the authority/power to get people tortured. It feels like he has to get the information and clues he needs through his relationship with everyone in the village and abbaye with no law enforcement power backing him up.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

The Steam page has a fairly detailed content warning description if you're curious:

quote:

Pentiment contains public executions, stylized gore, suicide, references to abortion, frequent strong language, references to sexual assault, and references to sexual activities. Small parts of the game also reference notable alcohol consumption and incidental ergot-induced hallucinations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
That sounds like its promising an extremely good time

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

tiniestacorn posted:

incidental ergot-induced hallucinations

Hell yeah, Andreas!

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
I'm not the only one to think of it, am I?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Congrats rope kid & team.

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/1583228086770102273

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I hope you like it!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I'm excited!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

rope kid posted:

I hope you like it!

I’m confident that I will. Do you know if anyone has tried running it on a Steam Deck?

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

rope kid posted:

I hope you like it!

absolutely

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Also I'd like to submit an official request to finally change the thread title to what it should have been all along, "gently caress you, suck my dick: The Josh Sawyer RPG, aka Pentiment"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also I'd like to submit an official request to finally change the thread title to what it should have been all along, "gently caress you, suck my dick: The Josh Sawyer RPG, aka Pentiment"

seconded

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Now featuring potatoes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

petition to rename thread to Pentimentary, My Dear Watson

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Anno posted:

I’m confident that I will. Do you know if anyone has tried running it on a Steam Deck?
It hasn't been a priority but we're looking into it.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Genuinely excited about this one, it has “labour of love” stamped all over it.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Gonna ment me some penti, if you catch my meaning.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Really hyped for this. Looking forward to being the worst monk I can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1585402708063756289

Wish you a speedy recovery, buddy!