Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
To the Doom Eternal haters: just do cocaine you pussies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

IIRC they later patched Marauders to stop doing the Marauder thing on Easy.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Interestingly, you cannot buy Persona 5 Royal on Steam yet, but it's available on Humble Bundle.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also I don't know why the gently caress you'd recommend Ultrakill to someone who hates Eternal.

I mean Ultrakill loving owns but it's also faster, more complex and more technically demanding than Eternal.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i didn't recommend it to people who hate eternal, i recommended it to people who liked what doom eternal was going for but think it missed the mark in execution

the levels being so short alone makes it feel much less exhausting to play, yes it's intense but you can fly through a level in under a minute while eternal stages just go on and on and on

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 20, 2022

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I'm even less able to deal with Ultrakill than I was with Eternal, but at the same time it's weirdly less frustrating.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Flair posted:

Interestingly, you cannot buy Persona 5 Royal on Steam yet, but it's available on Humble Bundle.

its also on gamepass as of tomorrow

edit: ultrakill and doom eternal are both good but DUSK is that level above

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

eternal's level design was a step down. story was hot garbage that didnt realize what people liked in 2016. gameplay changes are subjective, imo the forced equipment cycling is kind of lame but ymmv. anyway sure i will change opinions in this, the 98th scrap over eternal vs 2016 in the steam thread

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the level design was much better, and the environs were much more varied and interesting. i do not care about any story any doom game ever tries to tell me and 2016 forcing me to listen was objectively worse than eternal letting me ignore it. you dont have to cycle equipment u just shoot things and press chainsaw when your gun stops shooting.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

JollyBoyJohn posted:

its also on gamepass as of tomorrow

edit: ultrakill and doom eternal are both good but DUSK is that level above

DUSK is probably the best shooter I've played in the last decade.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, Ultrakill does own a lot (to the point where it gets me to get over my dislike for boomer shooter presentation) and hits for me a lot better than Eternal did, as did Hellsinger.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ZearothK posted:

DUSK is probably the best shooter I've played in the last decade.

i'm struggling to think of anything i liked more since, i dunno, probably the original halo or some poo poo, its really good, heck its probably the perfect time of year for a replay

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cultic isn't better than DUSK but it's extremely good and if you like one you'll probably like the other.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

My one complaint with DUSK was that Normal was way too easy and Hard was just hard enough to be offputting.

Well, no, my other one complaint with DUSK was that rocket-lobbing miniboss that then immediately becomes a staple of the enemy roster.

And Doom 2016 does drag on a bit in places. Eternal and Ultrakill are too overkill for me. Viscerafest feels like a horrible clashing of design decisions. Prodeus is alright but feels distinctly like a pretender to the throne. Back to playing GZDoom mods, I guess :corsair:

...Actually that reminds me, I own but never played the uhhh GZDoom-based orc waifu shooter. The hell was that called?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MonkeyforaHead posted:

...Actually that reminds me, I own but never played the uhhh GZDoom-based orc waifu shooter. The hell was that called?

Hedon: Bloodrite

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Well, no, my other one complaint with DUSK was that rocket-lobbing miniboss that then immediately becomes a staple of the enemy roster.

The tall lady thing that bends backwards and creaks like an old knob before shooting way-too-fast rockets at you?

Because yeah that sucked.

DUSK was fun, but that sucked as well as the “you broke your flashlight” areas that were supposed to be scary but were actually always confusing because I literally couldn’t see anything.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

in Metro Exodus, how do I charge the night vision goggles?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

IIRC it shares the flashlight battery, hold down your flashlight key to get the charger out

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowgirls in Dusk are super easy, they give you like a whole second to duck for cover when they attack

then in Act 3 you get a few chances to use the Crystal of Madness on them and it is fun times

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

repiv posted:

IIRC it shares the flashlight battery, hold down your flashlight key to get the charger out

Oh, I didn't know I had that charger either. Thanks

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Also I don't know why the gently caress you'd recommend Ultrakill to someone who hates Eternal.

I mean Ultrakill loving owns but it's also faster, more complex and more technically demanding than Eternal.

i didnt like Eternal that much but i fuckin love ULTRAKILL. While it is more complex, thats not immediately apparent or necessary since there are a ton of difficulty levels and its short enough to justify replaying. Also, there's no ammo and health automatically regenerates in combat so the player can just focus on movement and shooting. There's also less focus on certain weapons being hard-counters for every enemy. All the weapons are useful in many different situations, but if the player wants to really rack up the style points, then they can start doing the insane skill shots and combos

Easy to learn game but theres so much depth that it takes awhile to really start to understand how many mechanics there are under the surface. ULTRAKILL will probably be my favorite fps once it gets out of early access

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Didn't like Doom Eternal and those who do have green stink lines coming from them because they smell like poop. No further comment

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

My stink lines are brown thank you very much

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Those are skill lines

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Stink Issue

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Pwnstar posted:

Prey had no reviews allowed until release or the day before something like that and then somehow a game that was barely advertised, with a confusing name turned out not to sell a lot of copies despite being a GOAT.

Prey was hella broken on release, for both PC and consoles. IGN initially gave it a 4/10 because of it.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

I'd rather play doom 3 tbh

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

on the computer posted:

I'd rather play doom 3 tbh

need to play resurrection of evil sometime, missed it when it came out

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Ok, Potionomics is great. It really is a LOT like Recettear but with enough changes to feel like its own thing and with an extremely charming presentation. Highly recommended.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm glad there's finally a true successor to Recettear

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was not liking Eternal at all when I first started playing it, but there's a point where it just clicks and suddenly leans in heavily to the "Doomguy simply does not give a single gently caress" aspect that made Doom 2016 so great, and the game becomes so much better at that point.

I love that they're strongly telegraphing throughout most of the game what the "twist" is going to be, annoying me because it's one of those things where it is super-obvious to everybody but the main character, so to have that be somewhat subverted by the realization that Doomguy was completely aware of what was going to happen, didn't give a poo poo, and was just going along because it gave him more chances to kill EVERYTHING was :discourse:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Det_no posted:

Ok, Potionomics is great. It really is a LOT like Recettear but with enough changes to feel like its own thing and with an extremely charming presentation. Highly recommended.

It's very charming but the controller support sucks. Mouse emulation is the laziest choice they could have made while still being able to say it has controller support.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.pcgamer.com/without-warning-warhammer-40000-regicide-has-been-removed-from-steam-and-shut-down/

RIP

lunar detritus posted:

It's very charming but the controller support sucks. Mouse emulation is the laziest choice they could have made while still being able to say it has controller support.

Uh oh, i was going to get it for the deck

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Hedon seems like it would be neat if each level weren't 50 minutes of running around looking for the Forward Progress Pickup(s) for every 5 minutes of shooting stuff.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

RE4 remake: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2050650/Resident_Evil_4/

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

poo poo, well that's exciting. Hope it gets more closely to RE:4 than the remake of 2 they did a couple of years ago. I only truly love the more action focused RE games, I want to slap a stock on the red9 and upgrade its damage so it blasts heads off before suplexing a cultist.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Does Doom Eternal have a quake style multi-player yet or is it just demons vs doom guy

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

can i be gay as hell in potionomics

(e)

lunar detritus posted:

eww wtf

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The gently caress are you all doing talking about best shooters and somehow not bringing up Prodeus??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPCiBy7-UvY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i did