Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

He makes a good point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Alright, we need to figure out what song is playing over these montages

It's the end of a thing, the best answer will always be Walk of Life.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

made a slight edit even though it's the wrong hand

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

RandolphCarter posted:

Trixie Slaughteraxe was real good, thanks for posting it.

Yeah, that was an amazing story.

TinyPairOfScissors
Oct 7, 2022

by Hand Knit
I'm happy today Torgeir Lykke survived the revolution and got a happy ending where he invented a new sport. Thorsby's endings are pretty good.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

Hempuli posted:

Epilogue 4
Epilogue 5

YOU WIN!
Would you like your tallies identified? (y/n)

Pages: 444
Talking character deaths: 58
Deaths altogether: 100+
Scepter of Deaths: 22+
Undeaths (re-deaths?): 13+
Epic zombie battles: 3
Unconscious/snake-bitten vice presidents: 1
Dead vice presidents: 4
Lost cupcakes: 3
Destroyed artifacts: 1 (or 4 if we count the cupcakes)
Marriages: 68 (+3)
Destroyed relationships: 2
Karmic retributions for betrayal: 2
Swingball: 1
Zoozo Zlen: 1
Impeachments: 1
Certified Lyndon Painatorium Moments: 8
Certified Audrey Gravescreams Moments: uncountable
Male pattern baldness: 1
Minds mugged: 5

Thanks for letting me post the comic! It was a fun ride, and it was super nice to see how much people liked Trixie!

As a final thing, I invite you to appreciate the national emblems of Skyggemyr and Diabolica.

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Oct 21, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hempuli posted:

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

Of course Audrey gets the longest, most wide-ranging epilogue :five:

Thanks for posting this whole thing, the comic was great but keeping up with the various tallies along the way just added an extra fun touch :tipshat:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Thank you for posting Trixie! It lived up to the hype

Lol at Audrey's love life

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat!

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Lyndon becomes Dumbledore

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Empty Sandwich posted:

Let's see how often these sync up: :hmmyes: :goatsecx:

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Also I like how he teaches the stretchy spell using the example of the wearable human scarf from earlier in the comic.

also also lol the stockbroker's tie is a green arrow pointing up S T O N K S

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I feel like a better person for having read Trixie Slaughteraxe.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Zeniel posted:

lol

CPColin posted:

Let's see how often these sync up: :hmmyes: :goatsecx:

:hai:

Emzedoh posted:

I feel like a better person for having read Trixie Slaughteraxe.

:hmmyes:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zeniel posted:

:golfclap:

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Zoozo Zlen is the best side character in fiction.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I dunno what I was expecting from Trixie, but it wasn't that. Dang good comic, thanks for posting it!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Empty Sandwich posted:

???

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
I feel that the pacing of Trixie Slaughteraxe for President works better the way it was posted here. When it first came out the time between updates made it hard to keep track of some of the more complicated continuity, and when I went back to re-read it myself I definitely remember feeling frustrated and losing focus while wading through some of the more repetitive parts in the middle. This way was better.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Earlier this year I binged BACK in an evening and that's what inspired me to post it here. Personally I prefer to binge read stuff but I like posting it here for everyone to see and talk about it together.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Earlier this year I binged BACK in an evening and that's what inspired me to post it here. Personally I prefer to binge read stuff but I like posting it here for everyone to see and talk about it together.

Thank you, it's good and the pacing works for me! :shobon:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There are some drawbacks to reading long-form stuff posted in installments here (mainly me forgetting basic information posted long ago in earlier comics), but on the whole I think it works a lot better for me. I generally appreciate and pay better attention to the stories when they're posted a few updates at a time than when I just click through one as fast as possible, even though each update leaves me wanting more. Basically you're all saving me from myself

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

thetoughestbean posted:

The Unwomanly Face of War

Chapter 2 Part 5
Another longer post to finish out the chapter

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
A story that’s trying to be taken seriously generally works better as a binge read than something spaced out across updates, in my experience. It makes it easier to get a sense of the tone and pacing, follow conversations across multiple pages, and just generally keep track of what’s going on. I know I enjoyed Order of Tales a lot more when I was able to sit down and read the whole thing instead of reading one page every few days. (Comedic and continuity-light comics suffer a lot less from the interruptions, for obvious reasons)

But following along with a thread is really great when it gets people discussing the comic. It adds a lot to be able to able to talk and speculate with everyone else, especially since a lot of this stuff is niche enough you’d struggle to find people talking about it at all otherwise.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

And now, chapter 11: Honey Eater's House

In this update of Witch Vasenka's War, Nadya manages not to shoot a child in the face, a blasphemer is punished and we learn an interesting fact about etymology.

The mauling of Nazis will continue until morale improves.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Yeah, I binged Trixie some time after it finished and it was fine. I couldn't really be bothered to follow it live, though.

thetoughestbean posted:

Chapter 2 Part 5

Also holy poo poo this is good

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Huh.

Apparently in English "bear" has a similar thing going, and it comes from an old germanic word that means "the brown one".

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Early European civilisations knew not to gently caress with bears and give them proper respect, I guess.

Reminds me of reading about the history of wolves in Europe - these days, wolves are pretty much a good guy, main character kind of animal, but that's because they've been thoroughly rehabilitated in modern culture. In the old days, wolves were thought to be rapacious monsters, death to anything that walked or crawled, and wearing wolf iconography was kind of like wearing a skull or a swastika today.

At least, that's what I remember. I don't know how true any of that is right now, I'm real tired.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Emzedoh posted:

Early European civilisations knew not to gently caress with bears and give them proper respect, I guess.

Reminds me of reading about the history of wolves in Europe - these days, wolves are pretty much a good guy, main character kind of animal, but that's because they've been thoroughly rehabilitated in modern culture. In the old days, wolves were thought to be rapacious monsters, death to anything that walked or crawled, and wearing wolf iconography was kind of like wearing a skull or a swastika today.

At least, that's what I remember. I don't know how true any of that is right now, I'm real tired.

European wolves were a legitimate threat to travelers, yeah. Big, scary, and hungry

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Fister Roboto posted:

Huh.

Apparently in English "bear" has a similar thing going, and it comes from an old germanic word that means "the brown one".

greek and the romance languages still use words from original PIE root: arktos, ursus/os(oa)/ours(e)/urs(oa)/ors(oa)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Emzedoh posted:

The author of Revelations specifically links wild predators with the horseman Death:

quote:

When the Lamb broke the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature saying, "Come." I looked, and behold, a pale horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him. Authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by the wild beasts of the earth.

And this guy was living in the relative safety and security of the Roman Empire.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

I need beta readers, but also trying to build a community so https://discord.gg/8x7EArvXU2 Join my discord? I guess??

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 13:44 on Nov 28, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Welcome back Boba!

As usual, wonderful work on the special effects

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Thank you! I'm hoping I was able to counteract the paper texture washing the colors out a bit with correction layers, because I love the effect. The fur on the ferret dragon (a return of one of my favorite models, but this is gonna be just be a cute lil guy,) was done with shrineheart's fur brush pack.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Thank you for posting Trixie! It lived up to the hype

Lol at Audrey's love life

Everything's an adventure for Audrey.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Ooh, I gotta say, that last strip is a genuine step up from previous work.
The backgrounds and characters fit together really well, the colours are less saturated than before but in a really good way, Nice :)

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

E: double post! My first!

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
Thanks for posting Trixie, and thanks to all others Thorsby posters too!

These comics have been my favourite here for a long while, and I am going to struggle now due to not having any more Trixie available.

In general I have noticed that this thread has increased the amount I read comics in general. I never really seem to finish anything I start from their respective websites.

And the slower pacing really increases focus to it, instead of going through stuff way too fast

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What happened to the Tiger Tiger poster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

thetoughestbean posted:

Chapter 2 Part 5

Ow.