Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That music task was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All those songs owned lol

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

John is so thick it's incredible.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
And he knows it full well. That's what's so funny about it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I'm big surprised I really liked John's singing. He brought that story to life in spite of my wishes

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That music task was awesome.
In a car crash manner. None of them, musically speaking, were on the same level as Quite Good Considering, I'm Always Seeing You (Do Cool Stuff), or A Song About Libya.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
He is quite a bit less stupid on the recent podcast episode, but yeah, he still sounds like just a weird, weird guy.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

All the previous out-of-their-depth contestants, like Kathryn Parkinson, have nevertheless gained fans for their charm. John might be the first 'nope, he's just an idiot' contestant who fails to even gain a cult following.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I enjoyed the episode but these are my least favourite kinds of tasks. "Do a thing which has one clear solution" never leaves much room for different approaches and "be creative on demand" tends to get a cringe result.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Series should have a mix of task types and it should absolutely have a number of creative takes. The Diverse Stripes performance is one of the greatest TM moments.

But I agree on the one-solution tasks. The bubble machine sort of worked better than the tarpaulin one but back to back was just too weak a pair.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

I heard somewhere that John’s kid was born just before they filmed the tasks so that might explain why he’s so bad at them?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I liked the tarpaulin task quite a bit. John choosing the largest container and still failing was hilarious

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Hard to articulate quite what i like about john kearns, but he's the classic type of a lovable bozo. He's genuinely hilarious about it too

e: I also far far prefer jeremy wells' sense of humour to paul williams, so take what you will from that

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

if you like "have I mentioned that I grew up in Zimbabwe" more than john... you are a bad person.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah John is an absolute fuckup in some truly weird ways and seems to be genuinely delighted to be made fun of by everyone, that's exactly what I want in a contestant that's bad at taskmaster

him just holding the balloons, leaning over, for a long time for absolutely no reason had me cracking up

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I love that Alex reacts every single time Zimbabwe is mentioned.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Every episode makes me more of a Fern Brady fan. She’s fantastic.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

eke out posted:

yeah John is an absolute fuckup in some truly weird ways and seems to be genuinely delighted to be made fun of by everyone, that's exactly what I want in a contestant that's bad at taskmaster

him just holding the balloons, leaning over, for a long time for absolutely no reason had me cracking up

I was dying at him just standing there.

He just stood there for a full 25% of the task, than moved slowly until Alex started counting down from 30 seconds.

All the songs were excellent. Sarah's was my least favorite, and I feel like she got the points over the story.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dragonstoned posted:

the "angry teacher energy" that Greg has

i get scared every time greg whips off his glasses and stares directly at someone

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I was dying at him just standing there.

He just stood there for a full 25% of the task, than moved slowly until Alex started counting down from 30 seconds.

Listening to John Kearns on the TM podcast was an exercise in patience. He's really witty and I do enjoy him, but he has got to have the slowest reaction time of any comedian I've ever seen. He's very smart and funny, but his inability to respond quickly makes him look like a buffoon on Taskmaster, and I find it hilarious.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sim posted:

Listening to John Kearns on the TM podcast was an exercise in patience. He's really witty and I do enjoy him, but he has got to have the slowest reaction time of any comedian I've ever seen. He's very smart and funny, but his inability to respond quickly makes him look like a buffoon on Taskmaster, and I find it hilarious.

And it's not the same dottering kind of slow reaction time where they clearly understand, but can't be arsed to go any faster. It's the "I don't know what I should do" kind of slow.

Dara is clearly gonna win based on how he's done so far. Fern and Sara are a delight though. The former has a great awkward enthusiastic energy that's perfect for the show

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

And it's not the same dottering kind of slow reaction time where they clearly understand, but can't be arsed to go any faster. It's the "I don't know what I should do" kind of slow.

Dara is clearly gonna win based on how he's done so far. Fern and Sara are a delight though. The former has a great awkward enthusiastic energy that's perfect for the show

Yeah I haven't been keeping track of the overall series scores but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Dara was way out ahead, he seems to be scoring at or near the top of each episode. Although Sarah almost had a clean sweep this episode, she won every task except the live one, and with no team tasks that means she wasn't even sharing points with anyone.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dara really just has everything going for him. He's genuinely skilled at thinking quickly on his feet, he's in decent shape, he has a reputation for being into science and being properly smart, he really wants to win and has that drive, and he can manage to be funny while succeeding. Sarah Millican is also very competent and not easily perturbed by the tasks. It's been hard for Alex to shake either of them.

Fern and Munya are funny and exciting and weird in their own ways, but John Kearns is just kinda dumb. Not even exceptionally dumb, which might be more damning, because there's not much spectacular about it.

What piece of music did Munya use anyways?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

What I love about Fern is that seems to be genuinely bewildered that she has to expend mental and physical energy to do tasks on a show called Taskmaster.

Every time she gets given a task she reads it, then roars "WHAAAAAT" in the most belligerent manner possible, as if she had been expecting a nice gift certificate to a restaurant inside the envelope instead.

I love her. I love Dara too, and their dynamic is so deliciously weird. I like Munya, and feel he got most unfairly scored for both Smooth Rupert and his rap. Sarah kind of broke my heart a wee bit this episode, with the singing revelation: I think Greg was a bit broken by it too for a few moments.

(I have now accepted I will never get John Kearns, I find his blank ineptitude neither funny nor endearing and have decided I can now safely ignore everything he does on this show)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Irisi posted:

I like Munya, and feel he got most unfairly scored for both Smooth Rupert and his rap.

Smooth Rupert was absolutely robbed.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I suspect a reason Dara is also doing so well is he isn’t getting flustered by the tasks and immediately starts to problem solve, he keeps his composure which is i suspect 50% of doing well (witness Rhod having to force himself to concentrate every time and other contestants talking about the pressure of having to think quickly on camera under a time limit). But last week’s team task and studio task suggests Dara is fine on his own but then starts going nuts when he’s having to collaborate with someone else not on his wavelength/ running at the same speed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blamestorm posted:

I suspect a reason Dara is also doing so well is he isn’t getting flustered by the tasks and immediately starts to problem solve, he keeps his composure which is i suspect 50% of doing well (witness Rhod having to force himself to concentrate every time and other contestants talking about the pressure of having to think quickly on camera under a time limit). But last week’s team task and studio task suggests Dara is fine on his own but then starts going nuts when he’s having to collaborate with someone else not on his wavelength/ running at the same speed.

I can imagine a lot of that quick thinking experience comes from A. his stand up and riffing off of the audience and B. his vast panel show experience. You can see some of that in the older seasons with other panel show regulars like Noel Fielding who just dive into tasks and figure it out as they go.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fern’s whole deal made a lot more sense to me when I saw on her twitter that she has autism (and makes it part of her brand a lot)

I think she’s great

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Put me in the "I like John Kearns" camp. His prize task entry was great this week. And I thought his song was good too. Maybe he's just a divisive sort of comedian.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Kearns is amazing and this thread is weird.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

not a bot posted:

Kearns is amazing and this thread is weird.

Ok mrs. Kearns

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

wish they'd air extended episodes because its seems really obvious how much stuff they cut. some of these comedians just dont work with such a short run time. maybe cut it down to 4 contestants. also the kearnes guy sucks lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dongicus posted:

wish they'd air extended episodes because its seems really obvious how much stuff they cut. some of these comedians just dont work with such a short run time. maybe cut it down to 4 contestants. also the kearnes guy sucks lol

Been saying for ages Taskmaster XL is a no brainer. Some of the best banter ends up in the outtakes.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

SlothfulCobra posted:

What piece of music did Munya use anyways?

Chopin's Minute Waltz.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Extremely mild suggestive spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ipPxYBzNE

Alex compares Greg and Dara to two rutting stags and implies that there's a huge upset coming

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Trig Discipline posted:

implies that there's a huge upset coming

Very very here for a Fern upset.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm reasonably sure it was a simple unsubstantiated lie to get people to tune in.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
The NTAs were the 13th, I'm assuming Alex was referring to the team task sabotage as the 'twist'. Which, yeah.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I really appreciate Ed doing the Taskmaster podcast but oh man I wish there was some sort of production touch behind it since the audio levels are all over the place. My volume button gets quite a workout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

stev posted:

Been saying for ages Taskmaster XL is a no brainer. Some of the best banter ends up in the outtakes.

Sorry, but I will never understand "These people make really good content at this exact length. I wish it were 50% longer, because surely it would still deliver."

Maybe not exactly relevant with a largely unscripted comedy, but mostly I'm just venting about people who wish every Avengers movie was 5 hours long.