Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

Jack Trades posted:

Moira is really bad at higher levels in fact.

Moira STILL has the lowest dps out of all the characters in the game, actually.

With or without abilities, I did the math for both.

I was referring to Baptiste.

But at least all the other characters have to aim. I saw a video once comparing high dps weapons in Apex and one CLEARLY Did way way more dps on paper, but the average player missed a good 30% of shots, so the lower dps weapon actually was more effective. That is what we have with Moira. She should just debilitate and slow enemies, not do damage to them, or do way way way less damage. Just a boneheaded character concept imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Javik the Seer posted:

Good thing none of us here are playing OWL right?

I keep trying out, and my gameplay is good, but when it comes to the written exam I freeze up and can't think of enough slurs to put down so I always fail. :smith:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just remove every hero except Soldier because why have things other than CoD?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 21, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jack Trades posted:

Just remove every hero except Soldier become why have things other than CoD?

Okay, hear me out:
- Remove all heroes except for Zarya, Pharah, Mei, Tracer, Torb, Junkrat, Widowmaker, Mercy, and Sombra
- Change Zarya's beam to a rapidfire hitscan, nerf her movement speed
- Remove Pharah's jetpack, but increase the self-knockback of her rockets
- Remove flight and rez abilities from Mercy, change pistol to Hanzo-bow equivalent.
- Remove slow effect on Mei's M1, but add a lingering damage over time effect
- Swap Tracer's pistol with Ashe's scattergun
- Give Torb his upgraded turrets back, also allow him to build health stations
- Remove one of Junkrat's eyes
- Switch Sombra's uzi with Cassidy's pistol (without fan the hammer)
- Remove all hero limits
- Change 5v5 to 16v16

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 21, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sniper main spotted.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Man I really started winning a lot more comp games as support after learning Bap. He’s really fun and can really help protect against flankers

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Okay, hear me out:
- Remove all heroes except for Zarya, Pharah, Mei, Tracer, Torb, Junkrat, Widowmaker, Mercy, and Sombra
- Change Zarya's beam to a rapidfire hitscan, nerf her movement speed
- Remove Pharah's jetpack, but increase the self-knockback of her rockets
- Remove flight and rez abilities from Mercy, change pistol to Hanzo-bow equivalent.
- Remove slow effect on Mei's M1, but add a lingering damage over time effect
- Swap Tracer's pistol with Ashe's scattergun
- Give Torb his upgraded turrets back, also allow him to build health stations
- Remove one of Junkrat's eyes
- Switch Sombra's uzi with Cassidy's pistol (without fan the hammer)
- Remove all hero limits
- Change 5v5 to 16v16

You forgot the hats

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Just Chamber posted:

You forgot the hats

And Tracer doesn't have a double jump!!!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Personally I think the focus on pro eSports was a loving mistake and now Blizzard are torn between top level balance and actually making a fun game for the majority of players

I always thought this line of reasoning was silly because that basically means you're hoping people won't jump on whatever broken thing you've got in your game and relentlessly use that until the fun is sucked out of it.

That's kinda what top level balancing stops. You get weird edge cases like them changing symmetra for weird reasons (i know lots of people mad about that change) but in theory top level balancing is the best way of doing it.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Bust Rodd posted:

Hi Folks, played Overwatch a shitload at launch and just realized my accounts merged and I have all my skins. I quit playing when Brigitte was the new hero so i'm def rusty. Messing around in QP before going into comp and wondering what the best Sigma strats & maps are? I'm really loving his slow and methodical playstyle and skill shots, but really dont have a sense of when he is bad or when I'm the wrong tank for the map. Thinking of picking D.Va & Sigma as my mains, and Mercy, Reaper, Hanzo, and Moira as my back ups for when i can't tank. Did Reaper get a huge nerf? I thought for sure he'd be huge in this new meta since there's only one tank, but I barely ever seen him and I have been struggling to get kills as him. Did something change or are the new tanks just way beefier and can't get bodied by pellet spread as hard?

Also, im really bad at overwatch, so I don't really understand what Roadhog's role is now. Can he effectively solo tank with just thousands of health? What am I supposed to be doing if not setting up wombo-combos with my other tank?

Freedo recently did a decent job explaining the "unspoken sub-roles" that various heroes should play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wByfySzq02M Including Sigma and Hog's roles in 5v5.

Just remember Sigma's shield is to catch things (that Kinetic Grasp can't catch or while it's on cooldown), not to be statically located anywhere for too long. Figure out what rock is good against (Hog Vape, Dva Booster, Orisa spin-push, etc), and how to combo it to kill squishies.

Scholtz posted:

And Tracer doesn't have a double jump!!!

I was a Scout main and I hated that Tracer didn't play at all like him when OW initially came out. Man I wish I knew then what I know now about Tracer!

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I think its fine if some heros are easier to play and more common at lower ELO. They are an aim check for people trying to play aiming heros. The only people mad about this are people that feel bad about their SR because they want to aim and are bad at it. I couldn't care less about their feelings. Shoot Moira in her head.

To clarify the point: everyone in this example is the same SR. Maybe the ashe main is working a little harder for the SR than the torb main. Who cares? You need to be able to beat that torb to climb (which is fine), or don't beat the torb to stay your SR (which is fine).

headcase fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 21, 2022

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I’m having such a weird time on support:
ranking up much more slowly because on tank and dps I seem to get nice balanced games in gold, but silver support is just 90% absolute dunderhead teams where the genji wants me to follow him to the other side of the map, or they’ll trickle out of spawn one-by-one to get fuckin nuked and do it all over again. Then I get blamed for not sticking like glue to a Cassidy with a 12% accuracy because I’m getting an entire DVA’d to the face when I step out of spawn.

Another thing is that on dps I literally never come across a team that has a phara or sombra, but on support I have had several games in a row when it’s sombra/phara or flank junkrat and reaper. If it’s phara and sombra I seem to be the only person capable of rendering them on my machine because everyone else ignores them completely. So I switch to Ana and get deleted by sombra, or I switch to baptiste and discover that the immortality field is useless against the reaper ult because it’s somehow the first thing that gets hit by it.

So frustrating!

:Edit: despite all this, it’s given me an excuse to properly play with Mercy’s new movement tech, which is really cool and realise that baptiste can be a killing machine once you’ve got some good aiming practice in

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 21, 2022

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

headcase posted:

I think its fine if some heros are easier to play and more common at lower ELO. They are an aim check for people trying to play aiming heros. The only people mad about this are people that feel bad about their SR because they want to aim and are bad at it. I couldn't care less about their feelings. Shoot Moira in her head.

To clarify the point: everyone in this example is the same SR. Maybe the ashe main is working a little harder for the SR than the torb main. Who cares? You need to be able to beat that torb to climb (which is fine), or don't beat the torb to stay your SR (which is fine).

No if i ever die to a lock on non-aim hero they should be immediately banned. That is what we call BALANCE, my friend.

Scholtz posted:

I keep trying out, and my gameplay is good, but when it comes to the written exam I freeze up and can't think of enough slurs to put down so I always fail. :smith:

Another bone headed issue with Blizzard, using open ended essay questions instead of tried and true bubble scantron sheets. Ugh.

I appreciate the 5v5 in OW2, but i think it has inadvertently, or maybe very verdantly, given tank play even more power than before. Games are won and lost with tank play now, if you have a bad tank that wants to brawl with the enemy tank instead of make space, unless you're a tier or two above the enemy team, you're going to lose. And there isn't really a way to effectively communicate that in this game since as before, incomplete stats give players bigger or smaller egos that may not actually reflect the goal of the match. I don't know a solution to this, its just something I'm seeing as I get into Diamond. Tank play wins or loses games a large percentage of the time, bar none.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

dogstile posted:

That's kinda what top level balancing stops. You get weird edge cases like them changing symmetra for weird reasons (i know lots of people mad about that change) but in theory top level balancing is the best way of doing it.

Except that different things are "broken" in different skill levels, hence all the complaining about Moira, or even Torb.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Moira is not broken at any skill level

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
For reference I said Moira was frustrating to play against. I never brought up balance or the competitive league professionals or whatever because I’m a reasonable person that doesn’t care about those things

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Moira is not broken at any skill level

Bronze maybe, idk. People love to complain about her anyway.

I like playing Moira, I like playing Ana. When I play Ana I feel like I can make plays but I'm bait for any passing Genji/Kiriko combo, with Moira I feel like all I can do is heal but at least I've got better chances to fight or flee. Lately I've been starting on Ana, then switching if I'm getting harassed too much.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Except that different things are "broken" in different skill levels, hence all the complaining about Moira, or even Torb.

If you can't deal with a the lowest dps in the game, then you deserve to be at the level where that thing is keeping you (you in this point being whoever is actually affected by this, i don't know how good you are) there. Same with torb (who isn't as bad as people say, tbh). It's not like you get higher and therefore feel more at ease because they're not playing Moira anymore, because instead they'll be playing Zen and volleying you across the map way faster, or playing Lucio+ dancing around your head, etc.

I like playing Moira, I like playing Ana. When I play Ana I feel like I can make plays but I'm bait for any passing Genji/Kiriko combo, with Moira I feel like all I can do is heal but at least I've got better chances to fight or flee. Lately I've been starting on Ana, then switching if I'm getting harassed too much.

This is exactly what I do btw. Sometimes you just need survivability and "some heals and purple orbs" is better than "dead ana".

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I am enjoying playing brig in silver but if we don't win every team fight I get my tank raging at me to switch. I don't know if its just a hangover from the "everyone hates brig" part of the game or if she's seen as unplayable or whatever but even when I'm making a solid impact and contributing I absolutely get a completely unusual amount of toxicity playing her. I absolutely do not pick her unless I feel like my other support is capable and willing to pull the lions share of the numbers but the meta in the trash ranks seems to largely be two main healers. I think I need to start recording my ranked games to improve because in the moment its very hard to figure out what I can do differently to swing games.

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 21, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Well you see, if the healer isn't deadlifting the tank's bottomed out health bar even as the whole enemy team focuses them, support diff.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I like brig, but her kit doesn't make sense to me anymore. She has a melee range weapon but all of her abilities push people out of melee range. I'd rather have a healer slot person that gets ahold of genjis and kills them. More like classic brig but somehow not game breaking. I do play a lot of brig and I do "get" her playstyle, its just having 2 push abilities is annoying.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Brig should get her Shield bash stun back to deal with these flankers.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

its weird to me that brigs shield bash still interrupts rein charge despite having no other CC interactions that I can tell

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

adhuin posted:

Brig should get her Shield bash stun back to deal with these flankers.

No thank you!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Could she have something like "While holding shield up, one button is a dash-bash with knockback, other button is no-dash but just a melee stun" and have them both share the same cooldown? Or is that too many buttons

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I was told that 3 people on the bot/cart/payload would push it faster and the UI kind of reinforces that idea... but then I watched a karq mythbusters vid that showed that it didn't increase its speed at all. But the video was from the beta in like June or something

So is 1 person enough? Or does it really get faster with 3?

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021
One thing i will say is i cannot believe they released Doomfist in the state he is in right now. Every game i've played has been an insta lose for whichever team had a Doomfist on it. Even if you're the best DF you just cannot disrupt the way other characters can.

I don't understand why they thought this was OK.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i was bored so i browsed a few lore pages and apparently cassidy is 6'1"? sorry i dont believe that for a second. man is 5'7".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

6'1 with hat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't know about that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Zzulu posted:

Did people really complain so much about Symmetra or something? She was more fun when I could set up laser traps, permanent teleporters and use shields and crap. Now she's just... completely worthless

I feel like Symmetra is more useful now but less fun than the original build. Of course there were always good syms for most in the past but it was almost always a guaranteed L for whoever played her unless both sides did. Now I feel like at least you have to pay attention to all the junk she tosses everywhere and remember where she is so you don't back into her beaming you from the flank, if you can't hear directional sound, such as I can't do.

Playing it feels really bad to me but different tastes for different people.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I havent had much luck with sym on my team but she does extremely flashy plays that cause teamwipes pretty consistently so its fun even when we lose

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I havent had much luck with sym on my team but she does extremely flashy plays that cause teamwipes pretty consistently so its fun even when we lose

This is the peak of my achievements in Overwatch (I'm the Symmetra).

https://youtu.be/cPnKKkjje80

I did like playing the old Symmetra more though, to be honest.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Javik the Seer posted:

One thing i will say is i cannot believe they released Doomfist in the state he is in right now. Every game i've played has been an insta lose for whichever team had a Doomfist on it. Even if you're the best DF you just cannot disrupt the way other characters can.

I don't understand why they thought this was OK.

Maybe I've been lucky but I've played with some absolutely dominant doomfists. Doesn't feel much different than playing with ball. On push maps, just being able to get to the robot from spawn and sustain a bit makes a big difference.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Had a good experience on console where someone clicked the "stay as team" button and so did I and another person and we had a bunch of fun games. For whatever reason I was getting dropped into damage way more often than usual and the other person was maining Soj, so I tried a bunch of characters out or went back to characters I hadn't touched in literal years. it was a nice change of pace, I like Echo and feel like I can usually at least carry my load.

But I just have no idea how to clear being pressed into the entrance of Dorado anymore, which is embarrassing since this was like a solved problem in the past. But I can't just switch roles and Phara where you have to actually almost hit them with the rockets is not playable for me. Didn't help that they had a good Hanzo who was playing the point the whole match (that's cheating, to me, Hanzo should be trying to pull off trick arrow shows from a mile away for all of the match until shooting the dragon into the opponents safe zone). I was thinking about it after and maybe I should have switched to junkrat or something since I wasn't able to shoot my way out.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Yeah she definitely can turn team fights you almost lost into fights you lost.

Bust Rodd posted:

Hi Folks, played Overwatch a shitload at launch and just realized my accounts merged and I have all my skins. I quit playing when Brigitte was the new hero so i'm def rusty. Messing around in QP before going into comp and wondering what the best Sigma strats & maps are? I'm really loving his slow and methodical playstyle and skill shots, but really dont have a sense of when he is bad or when I'm the wrong tank for the map. Thinking of picking D.Va & Sigma as my mains, and Mercy, Reaper, Hanzo, and Moira as my back ups for when i can't tank. Did Reaper get a huge nerf? I thought for sure he'd be huge in this new meta since there's only one tank, but I barely ever seen him and I have been struggling to get kills as him. Did something change or are the new tanks just way beefier and can't get bodied by pellet spread as hard?

Also, im really bad at overwatch, so I don't really understand what Roadhog's role is now. Can he effectively solo tank with just thousands of health? What am I supposed to be doing if not setting up wombo-combos with my other tank?

Quoting this because these are good questions.

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 21, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Echo is a beast and kinda deletes people way faster than they expect. Her goop/shot/beam combo will even melt tanks. 1 tank makes her ult way more impactful too when you copy the enemy tank.

And there’s nothing better in the game than stealing Rein and getting two shatters off in 10 seconds. His double E makes that much easier to routinely do too.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

whalestory posted:

I was told that 3 people on the bot/cart/payload would push it faster and the UI kind of reinforces that idea... but then I watched a karq mythbusters vid that showed that it didn't increase its speed at all. But the video was from the beta in like June or something

So is 1 person enough? Or does it really get faster with 3?

Capping control points is sped up by having more people, up to 3.

The cart/bot moves at the same pace regardless of number of people

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I believe it was faster in TF2and maybe it's just created a myth?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I really don't understand how ranking works in OW2. I win games and then go down in rank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I really don't understand how ranking works in OW2.

It doesn't.