Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Wizard Master posted:

What do you think the darkest jokes on the show have been

Steve Mobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Wizard Master posted:

That the bonds of the nuclear family will finally prevail over the deracinating forces of capitalism.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Wizard Master posted:

idk but in season 3 bart had some pussy in his face

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I remember reading some theories online ages ago about how there were subtle references in the Bigger Brother episode that Tom is a pedo. That would count, only I can't think of any actual real evidence supporting this aside from maybe the "Bart I could kiss you... if I hadn't told the Bigger Brothers that I wouldn't" line. Maybe I'm forgetting something.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

None of you people had as hard a time as me. I was in a tiny private school for 8th grade where there were only 5 of us. Only five kids, in my grade, and we were all 13, and it was 1998, and I was the only one not allowed to watch South Park. Fill in the blanks.
I was at a boarding school where The Simpsons was de facto banned by the student body because it was a cartoon and therefore Gay. This was ~2000 and we were all like 9-13. We still watched a shitload of DBZ though so idk

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
When I was a kid living in Tasmania, The Simpsons was on Channel 7.

That information means nothing to anyone else but mainland Australians, as it was (for nearly 30 years since its premiere) broadcast on Channel 10.

Back then, Tasmania only had three channels, Channel 7, ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) and TVT (TeleVision Tasmania) community television. Ch 7 basically had all the popular shows aired on 7, 9 and 10 on mainland Australia, so when The Simpsons first broadcast down under, it was on 10 everywhere else but Tasmania.

We moved to the mainland in 1991, I was in third grade. Third graders don't believe stories that contradict what they have seen with their own eyes, they are always right. The concept of The Simpsons being aired on any other channel than 10 was an impossible concept that there was zero chance of explaining. In my first week at the school as the new kid, the out of towner, the interloper, my playground cred was at its most volatile and ANY slip up was bound to shape my primary school experience from there on. Third graders are loving stupid, and they do not forget.

I tried to explain that The Simpsons was on channel 7 where I came from, and I found it weird that it was on a different channel. But NO! It was on Channel 10! I was making poo poo up! I was a loving idiot! A LIAR! Lying about the BIGGEST thing of 1991...
Third grade on the mainland solidified my station in that school as That retard who thinks the Simpsons is on a different channel... It all went downhill from there.

TBH, I'd have made it there anyway but I like to feel that this story was the blame, or at least a significant catalyst. I joined this forum after all...

Also, The Simpsons ended up on Channel 7 a few years ago so WHO'S LAUGHING NOW? Dumb kids...

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 21, 2022

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

My house had a bizarre form of TV censorship in that it was based on how much the characters yelled. My mum despised comedy that she defined as people just screaming at each other. So I was always allowed to watch The Simpsons, but Ren & Stimpy was banned. Red Dwarf was ok, but not the Young Ones. Watching South Park and Quads on SBS was somehow more acceptable than Rocko's Modern Life.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

I'm more surprised that Tasmania had television at all back then. I assumed everyone in the state just crowded around the one TV that had a satellite dish.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Wizard Master posted:

In Bart the Murderer, Mr Burns comments "Thank God we live in a country so hysterical over crime that a ten-year old child can be tried as an adult."
As a non-American, I thought the joke was that could never happen irl

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

That information means nothing to anyone else but mainland Australians, as it was (for nearly 30 years since its premiere) broadcast on Channel 10.

Back then, Tasmania only had three channels, Channel 7, ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) and TVT (TeleVision Tasmania) community television. Ch 7 basically had all the popular shows aired on 7, 9 and 10 on mainland Australia, so when The Simpsons first broadcast down under, it was on 10 everywhere else but Tasmania.

We moved to the mainland in 1991, I was in third grade. Third graders don't believe stories that contradict what they have seen with their own eyes, they are always right. The concept of The Simpsons being aired on any other channel than 10 was an impossible concept that there was zero chance of explaining. In my first week at the school as the new kid, the out of towner, the interloper, my playground cred was at its most volatile and ANY slip up was bound to shape my primary school experience from there on. Third graders are loving stupid, and they do not forget.

I tried to explain that The Simpsons was on channel 7 where I came from, and I found it weird that it was on a different channel. But NO! It was on Channel 10! I was making poo poo up! I was a loving idiot! A LIAR! Lying about the BIGGEST thing of 1991...
Third grade on the mainland solidified my station in that school as That retard who thinks the Simpsons is on a different channel... It all went downhill from there.

TBH, I'd have made it there anyway but I like to feel that this story was the blame, or at least a significant catalyst. I joined this forum after all...

Also, The Simpsons ended up on Channel 7 a few years ago so WHO'S LAUGHING NOW? Dumb kids...

Southern Cross represent! We also had so much censored out of the episodes compared to when I would see them on mainland TV years later. Neds clocktower rampage was shortened down to one shot, Homer didn't get to buy an array of smut and enema kits when looking for fireworks, and Kent Brockman never thought it was about loving time.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

goodog posted:

My house had a bizarre form of TV censorship in that it was based on how much the characters yelled. My mum despised comedy that she defined as people just screaming at each other. So I was always allowed to watch The Simpsons, but Ren & Stimpy was banned. Red Dwarf was ok, but not the Young Ones. Watching South Park and Quads on SBS was somehow more acceptable than Rocko's Modern Life.

Don't let her watch an episode of All That.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Never been banned watching TV, but for The Simpsons it was about how rich you were.
Here in Ireland/UK, you could only watch it on Satellite TV, Sky 1.
Which was really expensive at the start.
Same with Star Trek TNG, we would be years behind everyone when it appeared on terrestrial TV later.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wizard Master posted:

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Wizard Master posted:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

happyhippy posted:

Never been banned watching TV, but for The Simpsons it was about how rich you were.
Same with Star Trek TNG, we would be years behind everyone when it appeared on terrestrial TV later.

This makes me think that there were a lot of kids who did/could/would just make up poo poo about episodes that they knew other people hadn't seen knowing full well they coudn't be proven or disproven and even the magazines would be behind or incomplete on episodes more than likely.

Some guy I knew years ago would do that all the time when the internet wasn't so widespread, too. You name the show or movie or comic, nothing was too small for him to lie about if he knew you couldn't disprove it.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Wizard Master posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLcjwYNDvAM

1:03 to 1:21 of this clip.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Large oof at how that "I work at an elementary school" line aged.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Yeah one of my favourite things about visiting my granny was she had Sky and I could watch new* Simpsons while the BBC were cycling through seasons 1 and 2

*by which I mean like season 6

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Wizard Master posted:

Help me please I'm sick

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
"Stop, stop! He's already dead!"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Wizard Master posted:

Itchy & Scratchy, especially the head in the furnace in steamboat itchy & baby itchy stabbing with the broken bottle.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Wizard Master posted:

"Hey! Something's clawing at my leg!"

"Okay it stopped"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
https://youtu.be/eTWnp0zs2iU

This is the darkest the Simpsons has ever been.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the football in the groin quandary was such bullshit. football in the groin was going to lose anyway, it did not have the votes. why didn't they even try to explain this to homer? it was bullshit

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Barney the hardcore alcoholic being the sperm donor of dozens of babies is up there for me

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Cemetry Gator posted:

https://youtu.be/eTWnp0zs2iU

This is the darkest the Simpsons has ever been.

PTSD!Skinner is hilarious and I miss him

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfxabSYFs88

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Wizard Master posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQNMOGFI-Ks

Irradiation fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 21, 2022

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gym Leader Barack posted:

Southern Cross represent! We also had so much censored out of the episodes compared to when I would see them on mainland TV years later. Neds clocktower rampage was shortened down to one shot, Homer didn't get to buy an array of smut and enema kits when looking for fireworks, and Kent Brockman never thought it was about loving time.

Yeah, seriously, what is with poo poo getting mega-censored in Australia. Whenever we had poo poo broadcast on TV here in NZ that came through the Aussie networks, it was always butchered up to fuckery.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Gym Leader Barack posted:

I remember finding out Bart's retort to Homer when he banned him from watching the Itchy & Scratchy movie about 20 years after it was first aired because they cut it out. In Australia... Bloody Australia!

Also, they hacked the poo poo out of the darker Ren & Stimpy episodes.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Have they done anything in recent episodes about Skinner being a veteran? I guess nowadays he could have served in Afghanistan or Iraq...

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Why didn't you just tell them exactly what you just told us

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

I remember finding out Bart's retort to Homer when he banned him from watching the Itchy & Scratchy movie about 20 years after it was first aired because they cut it out. In Australia... Bloody Australia!

Also, they hacked the poo poo out of the darker Ren & Stimpy episodes.

I remember the end of the flying hellfish episode cut to the credits while Bart was reassuring Grandpa that he was never a washed up old has-been. Completely missed out on that German dude telling them to get a room.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's always wild hearing about all these cartoons getting censored internationally. I watched a lot of cartoons through Mumbai growing up and somehow it seems like that was the only nexus that censored less than the States. I saw a lot of Looney Toons commit suicide, a bunch of Nickelodeon episodes that had been banned, and that rug munching episode of Cow & Chicken more than once. Even got to see the pre-9/11 version of that segment in Door to Door on Invader Zim.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

amazing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah, seriously, what is with poo poo getting mega-censored in Australia. Whenever we had poo poo broadcast on TV here in NZ that came through the Aussie networks, it was always butchered up to fuckery.

Adventure Time also comes to mind. I think it might be a mix of certain ratings boards being churchie geezers even though the rest of the country doesn't give a poo poo, and/or networks filing Australia under 'Asia' and so giving shows conservative cuts that supposedly would be required to get past Chinese censorship or whatever.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

edogawa rando posted:

Got any examples on hand? It's not something I noticed growing up.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Beartaco posted:

Ever heard how a bunch of episodes of Doctor Who from the 1960s got erased by the BBC to save storage space? Some of these episodes have excerpts surviving because the Australian censor office hacked them out of the film prints they got from the BBC and kept them in a folder. In some cases these clips run to almost a minute, out of a 25 minute episode.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ever heard how a bunch of episodes of Doctor Who from the 1960s got erased by the BBC to save storage space? Some of these episodes have excerpts surviving because the Australian censor office hacked them out of the film prints they got from the BBC and kept them in a folder. In some cases these clips run to almost a minute, out of a 25 minute episode.

I find the story of lost Dr. Who episodes much more interesting than the show, which I've never seen and don't really care to.

It's not just "a bunch". It's around 100 episodes. And they all have audio preserved, just no video (or not much video).

Lost media is fascinating. Like it's nearly impossible to find Beavis and Butthead with the music video segments intact due to copyright issues. Same for a bunch of MST3K episodes. Although those were both after the advent of ubiquitous home recording devices so the vast majority can be found if you look hard enough.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I find the story of lost Dr. Who episodes much more interesting than the show, which I've never seen and don't really care to.

It's not just "a bunch". It's around 100 episodes. And they all have audio preserved, just no video (or not much video).

Lost media is fascinating. Like it's nearly impossible to find Beavis and Butthead with the music video segments intact due to copyright issues. Same for a bunch of MST3K episodes. Although those were both after the advent of ubiquitous home recording devices so the vast majority can be found if you look hard enough.

Daria has the same problem. When airing on MTV they could use basically all the music they wanted but no one saw affordable home video coming in the age of VHS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Beartaco posted:

It was usually the films that were broadcast free-to-air. Both major networks, TVNZ and TV3, would often get their films over from Australia, and often scenes involving nudity were hacked out, while swears would get a massive *beep* over it. I vividly remember watching Crimson Tide on TV3 once, probably in 1998 or so, and as soon as Gene Hackman said "gently caress," there was a massive *beep* over it.

Luckily, the Simpsons on TV2, was more-or-less unmolested.