Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

VOTE1 posted:

I heard a stat that Miller had something like 6 of the Canucks last 12 OT winners.

He looks like a shadow of his former self this year. I used to this his defensive issues were overblown. He looks like he picked up the sport over the summer right now. He's a trainwreck. I'm not gonna judge him on five games because Petey was equally cold to start last year but drat the guy signed a questionable extension a month ago. The least he could do is play with the tiniest bit of fire to maybe allay some of the concerns fans had with signing him until he's 37 at 1st line centre money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres won last night! But…

https://twitter.com/sabresplays/status/1583295737592324096?s=46&t=TwFTXXjE0LLCesvR-roiLQ

What the gently caress was that Ref thinking? Why was he so far off the boards???

Edit: “hitting off the ref”? He literally kicked it to a Calgary player lmao

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 21, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ThinkTank posted:

He looks like a shadow of his former self this year. I used to this his defensive issues were overblown. He looks like he picked up the sport over the summer right now. He's a trainwreck. I'm not gonna judge him on five games because Petey was equally cold to start last year but drat the guy signed a questionable extension a month ago. The least he could do is play with the tiniest bit of fire to maybe allay some of the concerns fans had with signing him until he's 37 at 1st line centre money.

He would not be the first guy to kind of let himself go after signing the biggest contract he'll ever sign.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Sabres won last night! But…

https://twitter.com/sabresplays/status/1583295737592324096?s=46&t=TwFTXXjE0LLCesvR-roiLQ

What the gently caress was that Ref thinking? Why was he so far off the boards???

Edit: “hitting off the ref”? He literally kicked it to a Calgary player lmao

Seems like it was a hosed up breakout where the ref was skating up ice and then a turnover at the blueline? Only thing that makes sense

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

That was sick

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I can't believe Quinn's first win with the Rangers was an OT win against the Sharks and now his first win with the Sharks is an OT win against the Rangers.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Sabres looked great last night, super fun team to watch. The Flames looked like an outhouse after I eat falafel

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
beware dreck of the league, you will get outshot 40-15 and only win 50% of the time against the all-mighty New Jersey Devils

https://twitter.com/MoneyPuckdotcom/status/1583423598022209536

mennoknight posted:

Sabres looked great last night, super fun team to watch. The Flames looked like an outhouse after I eat falafel

yeah ever since they got hot last year I've enjoyed their games, well coached and they can really skate

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1583459656655319040?s=46&t=vbKXzXlgq1xsY20fvgCgfQ

This should solve their defense issued

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
maybe they can trade for Jordan and sign Jared so that they can all voltron on the ice into a giant guy who gets deked out of his skates

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

maybe they can trade for Jordan and sign Jared so that they can all voltron on the ice into a giant guy who gets deked out of his skates

how bad do the Canucks have to get before the Devils can have Quinn?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1583282750785695744
Guess the Pens upgraded from a viking helmet to an MF DOOM mask for the best player of the game

We now need then to take the ice to "Rapp Snitch Knishes"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

That would be so sick

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Trouba being confused like when you show a lion four chair points, except it's 3 twink Hughes brothers and he's trying to kill all of them

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

mennoknight posted:

now just imagining what kind of nightmare falafel you get in Alberta that gives you the shits

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Please take him, he's too beautiful for this team.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Once Barkov finishes his shifts as a forward just put him back on the ice as a D man, problem solved.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

a good team

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Ottawa Senators have a really cool organist. Wish the Caps had one too…

Sorry that's all tied up the Beal deal

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Early obviously, but I can’t get over how fuckin stacked the 2023 draft is looking. Bedard will go 1st obviously, but there are three other guys who would arguably have gone first in prior drafts. Michkov has been the #2 ranked guy for so long, but being signed to the K until 2026 could hurt. Leo Carlssons stock is rising, leads his SHL team in scoring

Fantilli is 17 and leading the NCAA in points per game. if somehow Seattle drafts him and he studies under Tanev long enough, he could be elite at team pictures as well

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

https://twitter.com/jkmnew/status/1583526447482040320

Don't worry, JT's got this

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
https://twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/status/1583479276007231489

come on Barzy it can't be that hard you got a coach who wants you to shoot and score now come on dude you can do it I believe in you Lane believes in you Lou believes in you the whole drat island believes in you kid just SHOOT THE FREAKEN PUCK!!!!!!!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ottawa might not be a good team but I have honestly enjoyed watching them. DeBrincat and Giroux are a match made in... well not Chicago or Philly.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Lmao

https://twitter.com/ineffectivemath/status/1583506963647713280?s=46&t=Zgw3ZhOCYFakHPU_spE8Ug

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

He was the one that took the penalty in OT and just kind of stood there with a static stick while his team scrambled to keep Kaprizov from scoring last night. No one’s expecting him to become a defensive powerhouse, but some participation is going to make better friends. Kaprizov isn’t the best defender either, but he at least makes an attempt to support at both ends of the ice.

His poo poo is weak right now and I guarantee there’s not much Bruce can do to get him playing if he’s just not up for it. May as well just fire Bruce and buckle in for Mike Yeo right now.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

you know who would fix a lot of the canucks problems? mike babcock

he'd introduce a lot of new ones but it could be fun!

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Jhet posted:

He was the one that took the penalty in OT and just kind of stood there with a static stick while his team scrambled to keep Kaprizov from scoring last night. No one’s expecting him to become a defensive powerhouse, but some participation is going to make better friends. Kaprizov isn’t the best defender either, but he at least makes an attempt to support at both ends of the ice.

His poo poo is weak right now and I guarantee there’s not much Bruce can do to get him playing if he’s just not up for it. May as well just fire Bruce and buckle in for Mike Yeo right now.

I’m curious what offers were on the table for Miller prior to the draft that they decided to say gently caress it and re-sign him hoping for the best. Re-signing a player to a 7-year deal starting at 30 after hitting career highs is chancy enough as it is, and Miller seems like a polarizing personality on top of his declining skills. Feels like a Blake Wheeler situation in Winnipeg waiting to happen

Maybe Benning wasn’t the problem?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Benning was just the most obvious problem, not the only one.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

man those jerseys are sick

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The Dirty Burger posted:

I’m curious what offers were on the table for Miller prior to the draft that they decided to say gently caress it and re-sign him hoping for the best. Re-signing a player to a 7-year deal starting at 30 after hitting career highs is chancy enough as it is, and Miller seems like a polarizing personality on top of his declining skills. Feels like a Blake Wheeler situation in Winnipeg waiting to happen

I'm guessing not a lot? Or very much short of what Vancouver was wanting to get. If I remember right they were wanting a big return. He can be absolutely explosive, but he also seems like a bit of an anchor. I'm guessing that there wasn't a lot of interest in the UFA world for him either with a lot of big contracts being done last summer. My money's on him ending up in Arizona (or wherever the contract dump franchise is) in about 3-4 years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's pretty clear that Aquilini makes all the major decisions and he is catastrophically bad at it. I still wouldn't be in a hurry to hire Benning to run my hockey team, since he probably has little experience making actual decisions and his job was mostly explaining Aquilini's terrible decisions to the press and pretending they were his. Being a loyal yes-man is likely the extent of his skills.

I'd be real interested to know how Benning presents his time in Vancouver in interviews with other teams though.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Chad Sexington posted:

now just imagining what kind of nightmare falafel you get in Alberta that gives you the shits

I live in Ottawa and yes, deep fried fiber balls make me poo poo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This thread about to get into how mustard is too spicy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The Dirty Burger posted:

Benning is responsible for Vancouver's current defense, he was definitely a big part of the problem.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
https://twitter.com/Chris_Krenn/sta...s1_c10&ref_url=

The rookies alright

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Perbix sounds like what you break after getting hit like that.

"Yeah, got knocked on his rear end and broke his perbix"

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
It’s insane that Nichushkin had 0 goals in 57 games for Dallas in 2018/19, he has 5 goals and 10pts so far through the first 5 games this year and is driving his line, using his speed, finishing checks and looks like one of the best power forwards in the league.

Player development is so weird

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mennoknight posted:

I live in Ottawa and yes, deep fried fiber balls make me poo poo

Take the boy outta berta but can't take the deep fried fiber balls out da boy

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Take the boy outta berta but can't take the deep fried fiber balls out da boy

sounds like how easy it is to take deep fried fiber balls out da boy is the problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

It’s insane that Nichushkin had 0 goals in 57 games for Dallas in 2018/19, he has 5 goals and 10pts so far through the first 5 games this year and is driving his line, using his speed, finishing checks and looks like one of the best power forwards in the league.

Player development is so weird

IMO it's that player development often expresses itself via "breakpoints" rather than being a linear thing where some guy gets 10 points, then 20, then 30, etc. The nerd example I would use is character balancing in something like Overwatch. If most of the players in the game have 200 hit points, and one character has a gun that shoots every 1.5 seconds, then boosting that character's damage from 60 to 65 doesn't matter as much as boosting it from 65 to 70, since now 3 shots will kill most players instead of leaving them with 5-20 hit points.

For power forwards, you can go from not winning like any physical battles to winning just about all of them and getting a ton more chances all at once. My personal theory is that these breakpoints happen later for power forwards because so much of their game relies on balance and strength, and those take more time to develop. I think it's also harder for European power forwards because the bigger ice just gives you more time and space and less need for strength. and also also they're not as corn-fed over there like our Big Boys.

Some guys just have games that are particularly suited to it right out of the gate or develop man strength really early, like Lucic, or they have early access to good rear end professional athlete horse steroids from their parents like Thurston and Gorse Tkachuk or Ovechkin. But there's a lot of power forwards that develop later and get good all at once like Hartnell, Simmonds, LeClair, Bertuzzi, hell even Tom Wilson is better at holding onto the puck now.

Kakko has been an absolute bull so far this year which is opening up space for his ridiculous stickhandling, but yeah Nicushkin is a perfect example of that. He was always a good skater, but he really can get to anywhere he needs to go on the ice now. Also the IIHF dropped their doping appeal against him so he can take even more steroids. Good on Colorado to lock him up.