Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you're arguing that in terms of performance (when healthy) McCaffrey is bad, I don't follow it. Most of his rate stats are similar to prior years. Dude just cannot stay on the field. The bet the 49ers are making is that in fact with decent workload management he can stay healthy. I think it's a bad bet but it's not a totally unreasonable one to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

My guy said "add up the WARs"

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

How much draft capital has shanahan now spent on running backs?

https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status/1583470060903223296?t=t4t_yxLEvLiLWynvAv7mVA&s=19

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kyle Shananhan : Running backs :: Kliff Kingsbury : Wide Receivers

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kalli posted:

Kyle Shananhan : Running backs :: Kliff Kingsbury : Wide Receivers

But they did get the injury plagued one so I think we can wrap this chapter up

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Now do the Seahawks

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He’s averaging 110 yards a game right now. He was averaging 110 yards a game last year before he was injured. He hasn’t had an injury free year since 2019, but he’s still very good when he plays.

Right but he doesn't play? It's a huge gamble! And arguably a dumb one since the strength of the team is the defense and that has been decimated by injuries sooo not like this team has a great track record with keeping it's players healthy

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

We don’t even know where the 49ers are picking! These could all be late round picks.

Gonna be picks 63, 95, and 127.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Up until CMC isn't this exactly what the "analytics" folks say you're supposed to do at RB? Churn through the position with mid-draft picks and bargain FAs?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

adaz posted:

Right but he doesn't play? It's a huge gamble! And arguably a dumb one since the strength of the team is the defense and that has been decimated by injuries sooo not like this team has a great track record with keeping it's players healthy

Probably part of the reason that he touches the ball on like 30% of the Panthers plays and a significant portion of those are running him between the tackles where he can get beat to poo poo.

The 49ers will probably use him a lot more like Deebo and they actually have good weapons so he won’t need to carry the offense like he did in Carolina.

Maybe he gets hurt anyway, but the way the Panthers used him seemed guaranteed to get him injured.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

Up until CMC isn't this exactly what the "analytics" folks say you're supposed to do at RB? Churn through the position with mid-draft picks and bargain FAs?

Yep

Here's Belichick at RB over that same time, which looks pretty similar all in all.

22 - 4th Pierre Strong
22 - 6th Kevin Harris
21 - 4th Rhamondre Stevenson
19 - 3rd Damien Harris
18 - FA - Rex Burkhead 3y / $10m
18 - 1st Sony Michel

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

People are being weird as hell about CMC. The dude’s injuries have been a weird mix of unfortunate things, nothing that would exactly scare me off of him by any means. He’s been used in a rough poo poo system and he’s still been absolutely incredible when he’s on the field every year. I mean I get the concerns but CMC is a massive pickup on any team in the league.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Probably part of the reason that he touches the ball on like 30% of the Panthers plays and a significant portion of those are running him between the tackles where he can get beat to poo poo.

The 49ers will probably use him a lot more like Deebo and they actually have good weapons so he won’t need to carry the offense like he did in Carolina.

Maybe he gets hurt anyway, but the way the Panthers used him seemed guaranteed to get him injured.

His injury last year was a non contact soft tissue injury.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
It seems like the bears always have a good RB, why can’t they use that draft evaluation talent for other positions.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The thing I'm confused about regarding CMC is that if he's getting hurt so often because he's touching the ball on like a third of the team's plays, shouldn't that also mean that his high production is also tied to the fact the he's touching the ball on like a third of the team's plays? If you dial back his usage by putting him on a team with Deebo, are you not also going to dull his impact?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

His injury last year was a non contact soft tissue injury.

The Hamstring was, the high ankle sprain in week 12 happened when he got rolled up on a run.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The thing I'm confused about regarding CMC is that if he's getting hurt so often because he's touching the ball on like a third of the team's plays, shouldn't that also mean that his high production is also tied to the fact the he's touching the ball on like a third of the team's plays? If you dial back his usage by putting him on a team with Deebo, are you not also going to dull his impact?

He’s still playing very well. He’s going to go saiyan in San Fran.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Hamstring was, the high ankle sprain in week 12 happened when he got rolled up on a run.

Oh yeah I forgot about that injury.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cognac McCarthy posted:

this is why we look at rate stats

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Yep

Here's Belichick at RB over that same time, which looks pretty similar all in all.

22 - 4th Pierre Strong
22 - 6th Kevin Harris
21 - 4th Rhamondre Stevenson
19 - 3rd Damien Harris
18 - FA - Rex Burkhead 3y / $10m
18 - 1st Sony Michel

One of these things is not like the other.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I hope CMC stays healthy and makes lots of exciting plays, the games will be a lot more fun that way

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

One of these things is not like the other.

Correct, Sony Michel is a 2x Super Bowl champ

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I continue to hope San Fran doesn’t make the playoffs and Miami is picking up another first round OT that’ll bust and the world will continue to spin

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'd just about start samaje perine. but it wouldn't go well. it's jsut that i really think an rb who commits and shoots is better for that line right now. how about that paycor stadium?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is why we look at rate stats

But that's just it, his usage is way higher but his yards per catch (8.4) and per rush (4.6) are on par with Clyde Edwards-Hilaire (8.6 and 4.3). They're good numbers but unless his rate goes up (maybe it will!) or SF uses him as often as Carolina has, you'd expect his yards per game to go down as he's slotted into a much better offense. I'm wondering if you can slot him into an offense that doesn't need or want to give him the ball on every third play and still get 110 yards of offense from him per game.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Cognac McCarthy posted:

But that's just it, his usage is way higher but his yards per catch (8.4) and per rush (4.6) are on par with Clyde Edwards-Hilaire (8.6 and 4.3). They're good numbers but unless his rate goes up (maybe it will!) or SF uses him as often as Carolina has, you'd expect his yards per game to go down as he's slotted into a much better offense. I'm wondering if you can slot him into an offense that doesn't need or want to give him the ball on every third play and still get 110 yards of offense from him per game.

If he’s not the only threat on the offense his production per touch probably goes up and he’s also helping create more opportunities for Deebo and Kittle.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

This strikes me as not a big problem for the offense overall if they get better with him around. He won't be worth the money, but we have all already agreed about that part. For the team it could be fine.

The 49ers need their offense to work, and that part has been iffy. If they get that thing up into the top 12 or so scoring wise and keep playing defense like they have they're a little bit of a monster.

It's bad for your fantasy team or whatever, but if CMC stays healthy I don't see how it's bad for the 49ers on the field. That is a rather large 'if' of course.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean CMC is a gigantic upgrade over Jeff Wilson but you are correct that I think the 49ers are never winning another game because of my fantasy team. I understand if others feel differently. Burn everything.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

He won't be worth the money, but we have all already agreed about that part. For the team it could be fine.

He costs 12 million a year which is the same as Nick Chubb or Aaron Jones.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1583537117019328512

:rip:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm sure Dobbins will be back in time for the late season games that mean nothing because Baltimore was already eliminated from the playoffs.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Classic Dobbins

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

SF just don’t run CMC right up the middle as much as Carolina was

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If he’s not the only threat on the offense his production per touch probably goes up and he’s also helping create more opportunities for Deebo and Kittle.

Fair enough, this is a compelling argument

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Paperback Writer posted:

SF just don’t run CMC right up the middle as much as Carolina was

Note that this is how they lost their 3 1st round pick Quarterback

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Kalli posted:

Note that this is how they lost their 3 1st round pick Quarterback

Sometimes bad poo poo just happens in football.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

YOLOsubmarine posted:

As a reminder, when Calvin Johnson had his record-setting year in 2012 he only had something like 5 TDs and the team went 4-12 because he was the only player on the offense capable of making plays. Had the Lions had other players on the offense capable of doing... anything, Calvin probably wouldn't have broken the record, but the Lions certainly would've won more games!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Eh, he was limited so far anyway. If this helps him get to where he needs then fine. Drake looked good last week and our line is looking real good for run blocking. Edwards will return with hopefully fewer setbacks. Hill was looking solid too when he's been in.

Why are we worried about playoffs? There's 7 teams. If we are going to miss the playoffs we'll miss them with or without the current version of Dobbins.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yeah - against the texans he had been 100% of our offense when his hamstring went and the other three injuries causing him to miss time 2 were high ankle sprains where he got rolled up in a pile and the other was a shoulder - running down hill.

Like I said he hasn't got the big panic ones like Todd Gurley's knee turning to dust on his 26th birthday or ligaments with the tensile strength of wet paper.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/YahooSports/status/1583568131758252032

um how tiny is he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

5’11”

It’s depressing how the shortest pro athletes in almost all sports are taller than me.