Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

roomtone posted:

re7 is the worst re game (that i've played) (i haven't played 5 or 6)

Welcom3 to the ignore list!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
fridge ya gotta put some stuff on your wall my dude

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

History Comes Inside! posted:

I hate dodging and a game having a dodge button is usually a sign for me to just not bother

See also: parrying

wtf why even play video games

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
In positive news, I actually made a little progress in Returnal and can break the red barriers and orange rock chunks.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
as a few people are mentioning, my opinions on poo poo like ff and persona aren't actually that unpopular, i'm personally unpopular and it's deserved because of how i just drop in say 'well this loving sucks' 3 times a day. it isn't really about the points, it's about hey, who gives a poo poo. let em have it. that's the attitude i'm gonna work on while i'm studying hard to completely elminate these things from existing at a high level. act cool, don't actually change your mind because you're probably right.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

You definitely don't need to be positive, but you should just, like, try to hold a conversation and elaborate on the things you think and the reasons you think them instead of posting one-sentence hot takes

For example; When saying that Final Fantasy 7 Remake is bad, perhaps use things from the game rather than grand sweeping declarations against an entire genre that nobody who hasn't been getting their head speedbagged in 5 rounds of boxing can understand.

Do say: 'I can't loving believe people like FF7R, those sparks that you make on impact all the time make my eyes burn, how are people okay with this?'

Don't say: 'lmao how do you gently caress up a game like this FF7R is like watching Murphy getting gunned apart at the beginning of Robocop. all they had to do was make a good game and instead it's just shoving Tifa and Sephiroth's titts all over the camera while someone 'sings' give us moneeyyyyy' over a fast food microphone in the background'

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

roomtone posted:

re7 is the worst re game (that i've played) (i haven't played 5 or 6)

What

RE7 shits ALL OVER Re4-6

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

wtf why even play video games

Because some games don’t have those buttons.

Full disclosure which will probably make it clearer why I rail so hard against some of this poo poo - I have a nervous system issue that fucks with my reflexes, and makes anything that involves consistent reaction timing and fine motor control of my individual fingers inconsistently achievable at best and basically impossible at their worst.

The proliferation of soulsbourne-style ‘git gud’ mechanics where you have to very carefully time dodges/parries/whatever with little to no consideration given to accessibility (a few games actually do a good job with this and are very playable - the Nier games in particular) in the single player space, where there’s absolutely zero reason to not give the player options to make the game as challenging (or not) as they’d like it to be since it’s only the player against the computer, often feels a lot like I’m being pushed out of one of my favourite hobbies.

People often throw “but what about all those people who beat soulsbourne titles on twitch using just their tongue and the GameCube bongo controller :smuggo:” at me when they hear that and to that I say I don’t give a gently caress how other people choose to spend their time to overcome whatever difficulties they may be facing in games, either self-imposed or otherwise; when I sit down to play games I just want to chill the gently caress out and play some games, not spend hours of my life learning to work around choices made by game developers aping the latest fad in masochism-as-gameplay just to try and enjoy something.

That out of the way I have started DQXI for the third time and I forgot again that the opening is entirely in my regional accent, which is painful to listen to.

Did they change the music for the definitive edition? I played it on the switch in 2D mode with the sound off so I have no idea what it sounded like.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fridge corn posted:

They looked smaller in the shop...

Hello fellow house tiger guy

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah, seriously! I just got to chapter V and I was telling my son watching me play how frustrating the enemy encounters are. The helmeted dudes are basically invincible? They all have laser vision and can see you from really far away even if you’re crouched, semi-behind stuff, and in shadows. It all feels very gamey. It’s not so much a stealth action game as it is a puzzle game where the puzzle is how do I kill/evade/disable each enemy in my way. Which just starts feeling really, really forced after one too many deaths.

But this is cool as gently caress:

https://twitter.com/blind_rasputin/status/1583485567647748101?s=46&t=XrXMt-ecGjp8hkl8Rp5wvw

The scene at the end of chapter IV where the rats destroy the entire city in the most metal ways possible was one hell of a showcase of their engine’s abilities. Frame rate held up ok too. I feel like with just a few optimization tweaks to the engine this could be much smoother. Just pare down the LOD a bit in the periphery and distance and I’m sure it’d be better.

So far I really like any sort of rat related puzzles but hate the human combat. Just like you said, helmet guys are invincible unless you have a knife or a way to deal with them and have x ray vision, which has led to me running around trying to find the exit while being chased more than I'd like. Their chatter is also stupid even for a video game enemies. reminds me of PS2 era stealth stuff. The stealth just feels bare bones in a bad way. Also not a fan of all the cart pushing. I remember being much less annoyed by fighting humans in the first one.

otherwise I really like it outside of the rough performance, which is real rough. Story is entertaining and all the rat stuff is still good.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Noob Saibot posted:

What

RE7 shits ALL OVER Re4-6

Re6 is better than all of them and thats a fact, jack.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen posted:

For example; When saying that Final Fantasy 7 Remake is bad, perhaps use things from the game rather than grand sweeping declarations against an entire genre that nobody who hasn't been getting their head speedbagged in 5 rounds of boxing can understand.

Do say: 'I can't loving believe people like FF7R, those sparks that you make on impact all the time make my eyes burn, how are people okay with this?'

Don't say: 'lmao how do you gently caress up a game like this FF7R is like watching Murphy getting gunned apart at the beginning of Robocop. all they had to do was make a good game and instead it's just shoving Tifa and Sephiroth's titts all over the camera while someone 'sings' give us moneeyyyyy' over a fast food microphone in the background'

it's so crazy because your sarcastic impression of me is actually an accurate portryal of the game.

but it's okay pal, we can all disagree and still be human beings.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
drat RE2make's ghost survivor modes kinda suck huh

Seems like something exclusive for speedrun streamers and is counter to everything good about the game imho!!!

EDIT: it kinda reminds me of the roguelike loot grind realm from God of War, just a thing that is explicitly Not For Me

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 21, 2022

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Because some games don’t have those buttons.

Full disclosure which will probably make it clearer why I rail so hard against some of this poo poo - I have a nervous system issue that fucks with my reflexes, and makes anything that involves consistent reaction timing and fine motor control of my individual fingers inconsistently achievable at best and basically impossible at their worst.

The proliferation of soulsbourne-style ‘git gud’ mechanics where you have to very carefully time dodges/parries/whatever with little to no consideration given to accessibility (a few games actually do a good job with this and are very playable - the Nier games in particular) in the single player space, where there’s absolutely zero reason to not give the player options to make the game as challenging (or not) as they’d like it to be since it’s only the player against the computer, often feels a lot like I’m being pushed out of one of my favourite hobbies.

People often throw “but what about all those people who beat soulsbourne titles on twitch using just their tongue and the GameCube bongo controller :smuggo:” at me when they hear that and to that I say I don’t give a gently caress how other people choose to spend their time to overcome whatever difficulties they may be facing in games, either self-imposed or otherwise; when I sit down to play games I just want to chill the gently caress out and play some games, not spend hours of my life learning to work around choices made by game developers aping the latest fad in masochism-as-gameplay just to try and enjoy something.

That out of the way I have started DQXI for the third time and I forgot again that the opening is entirely in my regional accent, which is painful to listen to.

Did they change the music for the definitive edition? I played it on the switch in 2D mode with the sound off so I have no idea what it sounded like.

Okay that’s a good reason to dislike parry/dodge. But you can create a Frankenstein controller and parry with your toes if you want :angel: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/controllers/xbox-adaptive-controller

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

Okay that’s a good reason to dislike parry/dodge. But you can create a Frankenstein controller and parry with your toes if you want :angel: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/controllers/xbox-adaptive-controller

I don’t give a gently caress how other people choose to spend their time to overcome whatever difficulties they may be facing in games, either self-imposed or otherwise; when I sit down to play games I just want to chill the gently caress out and play some games, not spend hours of my life learning to work around choices made by game developers aping the latest fad in masochism-as-gameplay just to try and enjoy something.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Related to the topic of accessibility, God of War: Ragnarok devs took Naughty Dog's level of accessibility features as a challenge to match.

https://www.gamesradar.com/god-of-war-ragnarok-accessibility-features-last-of-us/

Article wrongly identifies the audio puzzle in the desert as from God of War 2018, though it's actually from the original original God of War on PS2. SMDH

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Murder House is really cool so far. I’m glad Puppet Combo games are getting PS releases. They absolutely nail what they’re going for so well. The music/sound is awesome.

I’m trying my best to push through my issues with most horror games. I’ve been doing my October Horror Movie Marathon and having an absolute blast. It’s my favorite genre of everything and it makes me sad that I often find horror games too tense + tedious and quit most of them. Games are such a fantastic medium for the genre that it’s time I git gud and let them into my gamer hole.

Maybe I’ll finally beat RE4 with the remake coming.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
on second thoughts the sh2 trailer wasn't bad

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

is poo poo - I have a nervous system issue that fucks with my reflexes, and ma

gently caress, man. A friend of mine has cerebral palsy and we've definitely had to work out which games are playable and which are not. I'll often cover if that's privileged information by blaming my wrists or what have you, but accessibility and a11y gatekeeping is just loving...I don't want to say anything unkind. So, I usually just try to change the direction of things from accessibility to how making beating a loving game part of your personality is just how you tell everyone you're a tedious and boring person. Jesus loving christ. Then they get mad at me instead of the person who's usually just trying to actually enjoy something for loving once.

Frame perfect timings in games are an accessibility barrier anyway as different people have different levels of visual acuity and reflexes. Why the gently caress do you nerds think I like turn based and management games so much? God damned solipsistic morons.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

wait i probably shoulda made that a limerick

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

people who play games unfurled
and those that enjoy them all curled
there's no debate
because both are great
but "gamers?" a scourge on this world

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

And is the worst modern Persona game!

The gently caress is a "modern" Persona game? Persona 4 was a PlayStation 2 game and Persona 5 would have likely been PS3-only if the PS4 was backwards compatible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not like 1&2 I guess lol

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Persona 5 was the best game of the PS4 generation.

Then Persona 5 Royal came out and now it’s the best game of the PS4 generation.

fridge corn posted:

They looked smaller in the shop...

I’m imagining the music shift in the Titan fight bouncing you a foot off the couch. :hellyeah:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

veni veni veni posted:

So far I really like any sort of rat related puzzles but hate the human combat. Just like you said, helmet guys are invincible unless you have a knife or a way to deal with them and have x ray vision, which has led to me running around trying to find the exit while being chased more than I'd like. Their chatter is also stupid even for a video game enemies. reminds me of PS2 era stealth stuff. The stealth just feels bare bones in a bad way. Also not a fan of all the cart pushing. I remember being much less annoyed by fighting humans in the first one.

otherwise I really like it outside of the rough performance, which is real rough. Story is entertaining and all the rat stuff is still good.

Agree with all this. The best luck i've been having against helmet guys is to tar them and light them on fire but you can only do that to one guy at a time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So you are complaining about accessibility, but then make it a point to emphasize how much you don't give a gently caress when someone nicely shows you an accessibility device. Very on brand.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

So you are complaining about accessibility, but then make it a point to emphasize how much you don't give a gently caress when someone nicely shows you an accessibility device. Very on brand.

Bruh we're in the Playstation thread, how is an Xbox controller going to help anyone?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I shouldn’t have to go out of my way to learn whole new ways to play games with exotic controllers is the point I was making in my original post which, was replied to with, “wow that’s rough here try an exotic controller”. I think it’s a lot more reasonable to just ask for a loving difficulty menu instead of me buying a bunch of extra hardware and spending hours learning to use it.

Also, for what it’s worth, in a thread where I’m already used to taking a lot of heat for my unpopular opinions, you come across like an especially aggro dickhead who constantly takes my posts out of context to give them the worst possible readings and take pot shots at me, please just put me on ignore or something if you can’t resist the urge to keep doing it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

RareAcumen posted:

Bruh we're in the Playstation thread, how is an Xbox controller going to help anyone?

Maybe if someone with a disability didn’t realize these peripherals existed they might be interested in picking up an Xbox. Or even look at the new DuelSense controller as back paddles could maybe help someone with limited finger movement. In any case our friend just wanted to complain, not talk solutions.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
As someone who had used a scuf for years, I can attest to how nice the back paddles are, whether you’re using them to offset “crab hand” strips that some FPS’ have or using them to replace L3/R3 in a comfortable manner.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Having one as L3 makes using the hotbar in PSO2/NGS a lot better, definitely. It's nice for things like sprinting also but that's been the biggest game changer for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I shouldn’t have to go out of my way to learn whole new ways to play games with exotic controllers is the point I was making in my original post which, was replied to with, “wow that’s rough here try an exotic controller”. I think it’s a lot more reasonable to just ask for a loving difficulty menu instead of me buying a bunch of extra hardware and spending hours learning to use it.

Also, for what it’s worth, in a thread where I’m already used to taking a lot of heat for my unpopular opinions, you come across like an especially aggro dickhead who constantly takes my posts out of context to give them the worst possible readings and take pot shots at me, please just put me on ignore or something if you can’t resist the urge to keep doing it.

Allright, maybe I do go too hard on you. You just really get on my nerves sometimes though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

In any case our friend just wanted to complain, not talk solutions.

The solution I proposed is developers just add a goddamn difficulty option.

Like I said, the onus currently feels like it’s unfairly on the player to work around systems developers have chosen to impose on them, despite the fact that theres absolutely no detriment to anybody at all if they added difficulty options to a single player game.

I’m not asking for them to give me a bunch of advantages in online play against other players, I just want to be able to play my offline single player games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The solution I proposed is developers just add a goddamn difficulty option.

Like I said, the onus currently feels like it’s unfairly on the player to work around systems developers have chosen to impose on them, despite the fact that theres absolutely no detriment to anybody at all if they added difficulty options to a single player game.

I’m not asking for them to give me a bunch of advantages in online play against other players, I just want to be able to play my offline single player games.

You are very clearly trying to reignite one of the worst argument topics that always goes off the rails and I think you know it, which is the tldr on why I was being a dick to you.

But if you want a real answer. that is just not how things always work in games, in life etc. and no amount of complaining on a dead forum is going to change that. luckily there are options out there, even for PlayStation if that is your genuine concern. But it doesn’t seem like it is. It really seems like you were just enjoying complaining for the sake of complaining.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

You are very clearly trying to reignite one of the worst argument topics that always goes off the rails and I think you know it, which is the tldr on why I was being a dick to you.

But if you want a real answer. that is just not how things always work in games, in life etc. and no amount of complaining on a dead forum is going to change that. luckily there are options out there, even for PlayStation if that is your genuine concern. But it doesn’t seem like it is. It really seems like you were just enjoying complaining for the sake of complaining.

I’m not trying to reignite poo poo, I’m defending my position and explaining why I feel the way I do since people have asked me things like why am I even playing games if I don’t enjoy these specific mechanics.

Once again, from my perspective this is you choosing to take the worst possible reading of whatever I post so you can justify “being a dick” to me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh my god, I don't understand tone in text 100% of the time and even I can tell HCI is just trying to vent about how much it sucks trying to play a video game when you have a motor disability. And it's absolutely impossible for any games on console to have noclip or invincibility or a QTE skip or anything to get past a part that you're unable to get past naturally.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sakurazuka posted:

Not like 1&2 I guess lol

Yep. God, it makes me realise how old I am.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

That out of the way I have started DQXI for the third time

Did they change the music for the definitive edition?

Same (trtong to start a 3rd time). Maybe it is early-game only, but I have to turn the music off. The tracks are too samey and the loops too short. I thought I'd turn off the in-game and pipe Spotify but it is one of the titles that won't allow that.

The last couple of times I was playing it w/music off, but keeping game sound on, and I kept falling asleep.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Man veni and HCI need to stop bickering and just bone down already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

GoW:Ragtime has 120fps mode 👀 siicck