Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Barry posted:

That's a desert island record for me too but I don't think I need 11LPs of anything. Let me know if it's cool at least!

I'm still working on listening to the entire thing but so far I'm loving it. The box set ends with a live triple album from that era so it's a rare four-piece situation on that one. I mean, this set is for diehards only so I'm loving the hell out of this, but unless you're a superfan of the band and/or album you probably won't find anything essential here (with the exception of the track Shakin' Sugar, which would've been the centerpiece of an album had I written it and yet Wilco just threw it away and it never got a proper album release). The album as it was released really does seem to be the best version of the album and the songs individually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Got a couple goodies in the mail today! :hellyeah:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I got the whole Prince of Darkness soundtrack from Death Waltz before Mondo ruined them. :smug:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I got bored last week and signed up for a VinylBox subscription with a coupon code giving me 50% off the first and forth boxes (meaning the 1st and 4th will cost me £17 for my chosen two record subscription plan).

Well, I got them yesterday and if I had paid full price I would be quite disappointed; I'm not that impressed at half price to be honest.

I got Max Richter - Songs From Before, which I really like, I think I had it on CD years ago. I also got Umfang - Symbolic Use of Light, which is alright, but I wasn't blown away.

I'll stick it out until the forth box so I get my coupon's worth, but unless I start getting some absolute bangers, I don't think I'll bother past that.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

My first ever delivery where it looked like the mailer had been kicked around the sorting office by disgruntled postal service employees.

The record was fine, but the cover looks a bit poo poo, sadly.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Nabbed it, thank ya kindly!

Waxwork putting out the Hausu score this Friday!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

that's a very nice cover, but I cannot think of what the Hausu soundtrack sounds like. Probably a good reason to not buy it!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Nice! That movie rules

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Successful thrift store trip report:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Ballz posted:

I am extremely jealous and also mad at whoever got rid of that

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ballz posted:

What up :hfive:

Here's my thrift store finds for today:

Kind of regret buying the two LPs, but they were in such nice condition that I couldn't resist.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Ballz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0OOnfUBVNw

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1582869432790962176

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Hot Diggity! posted:

I am extremely jealous and also mad at whoever got rid of that

It was literally on top of the giant disgusting stack of thrift store garbage records, too. Pretty much just daring someone to buy it. Challenge accepted. :c00lbert:

I did get other stuff along with Bruce Willis:

A 1980s-era Wayne Shorter record. And since it's 1980s jazz you already know what it sounds like (synth elevator music trash). I did like the inner sleeve comic presumably drawn by Shorter himself, at least.

I recognized several of the names listed on this and just bought it on a whim, especially since the sleeve and record looked NM. Then I looked it up on discogs when I got home and saw people are selling it for $40 and up. :dogstare:

Not pictured: a Quincy Jones record I already owned and was planning to flip for a few extra bucks until I saw the inside sleeve was filled with mold.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The dangers of keeping your albums sealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0yOEFfZlco

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

The art itself is technically okay. But this is dogshit at representing the actual film. That might not be such a big deal if we weren't talking about a movie with VERY specific and extremely memorable aesthetics. There are so many ways they could have done better. Even if they left the art alone and changed the color palate it would be much better. They could have also just used the original album cover or the cat painting/something similar to the Criterion blu-ray art.

dorium posted:

that's a very nice cover, but I cannot think of what the Hausu soundtrack sounds like. Probably a good reason to not buy it!

It rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tcSn1iGt0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg-WT8Wg5kI

I've also wondered if that My Chemical Romance song The Black Parade was inspired by House's main theme or if it's just a musical coincidence.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Mister Kingdom posted:

The dangers of keeping your albums sealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0yOEFfZlco

Is this really an issue? I'm not buying it (aside from improper packaging maybe) and not watching the entire video.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CaptainBeefart posted:

Is this really an issue? I'm not buying it (aside from improper packaging maybe) and not watching the entire video.

I have seen other YouTubers talk about the same issue. It does happen, but how often, I don't know. There was one guy who opened a sealed gatefold album only to discover the inner surfaces had fused together.

I have set of sealed ELO albums and none of them are warped at all. I knew a guy who used to have a record store and he would cut a tiny opening along the open side of the cover for stress relief.

This is definitely an exception.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

CPL593H posted:

The art itself is technically okay. But this is dogshit at representing the actual film. That might not be such a big deal if we weren't talking about a movie with VERY specific and extremely memorable aesthetics. There are so many ways they could have done better. Even if they left the art alone and changed the color palate it would be much better. They could have also just used the original album cover or the cat painting/something similar to the Criterion blu-ray art.

The gatefold art they shared is even worse. The actors likenesses are terrible and it just feels so slapped together. For an album that people have been asking for forever, this is a real wet noodle way to put it out.

I’m glad I have an original copy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

The gatefold art they shared is even worse. The actors likenesses are terrible and it just feels so slapped together. For an album that people have been asking for forever, this is a real wet noodle way to put it out.

I’m glad I have an original copy.

People will buy just about anything. I'll bet it sells out.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have seen other YouTubers talk about the same issue. It does happen, but how often, I don't know. There was one guy who opened a sealed gatefold album only to discover the inner surfaces had fused together.

I have set of sealed ELO albums and none of them are warped at all. I knew a guy who used to have a record store and he would cut a tiny opening along the open side of the cover for stress relief.

This is definitely an exception.

I bought some sealed records from the 80's last year and they were all pretty warped. It was a large but gentle warp so they were still playable but as long as I have been collecting records I have been told to cut the shrink as soon as I get the record home. I like KGLW is shipping their records in paper bags instead of shrink.

I have a new all vinyl mix up. https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-38-ft-pete-moss/

Thanks again to everyone who checks it out. Play with your vinyl!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I also think we need to stop shrink wrapping all these movies and albums. If it's going to retail then ok, but with so much of these videos being sold directly online, it's all so much needless plastic

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I like when the record comes in a decent outer sleeve with the hype stickers on that. Lots of metal is like that

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

It rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tcSn1iGt0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg-WT8Wg5kI

I've also wondered if that My Chemical Romance song The Black Parade was inspired by House's main theme or if it's just a musical coincidence.

CatBlack posted:

I like when the record comes in a decent outer sleeve with the hype stickers on that. Lots of metal is like that

Yeah all the Castleface releases come open and in a thick outer sleeve. best way to go.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm still working on listening to the entire thing but so far I'm loving it. The box set ends with a live triple album from that era so it's a rare four-piece situation on that one. I mean, this set is for diehards only so I'm loving the hell out of this, but unless you're a superfan of the band and/or album you probably won't find anything essential here (with the exception of the track Shakin' Sugar, which would've been the centerpiece of an album had I written it and yet Wilco just threw it away and it never got a proper album release). The album as it was released really does seem to be the best version of the album and the songs individually

I have also picked up the box set.

I got a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo after not having a record player for a decade and man, is it nice. Seems like records have somehow gotten even more expensive though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Still waiting on one album to show before I post pics of the whole hoard, but for those that haven't seen it the new Gizz album cover is actual embroidered denim:

I love it

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I went on a day trip to see a show, had time to check out exactly one of the local record stores and holy moley that was a good one. Before I knew it I had 3-4 records under my arm and that was just from idly browsing, not even actively looking. Here's the haul:

Iron rule: I see any Current 93 or Legendary Pink Dots in the wild, I grab them, cause I'm not likely to run into them again. Unless they're prohibitively priced. I don't regret leaving multiple €100 C93 albums on the shelf. Same goes for Comsat Angels but they're never expensive. Actually that one is the most expensive one I've seen yet, come to think of it.

Worth noting that the used ones are very reasonably priced for being in such staggeringly good condition. That sticker on the one Toyah album is advertising tour dates from 1980. Looks like it was made yesterday, leaving the shrinkwrap on that one for 40 years hasn't hurt it one bit.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Might be even more exciting than TSwift and Carly day.... my Marianas Trench albums arrived 3 days early :dance:

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Enos Cabell posted:

Still waiting on one album to show before I post pics of the whole hoard, but for those that haven't seen it the new Gizz album cover is actual embroidered denim:

I love it

That's rad.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I finally did the thing and bought another copy of an album I have always regretted selling, after finding a nice copy for a reasonable price

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Was your previous copy a higher or lower number?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

IUG posted:

Was your previous copy a higher or lower number?

my old one was copy #6638

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Are there more copies of that? I need that.

Also: I'm seeing Legendary Pink Dots this weekend and I'm hyyyyped. :hellyeah:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 22, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cloks posted:

Seems like records have somehow gotten even more expensive though.

WHAT?!

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I had a feeling this would happen. My girlfriend got me into Bollywood and there's a soundtrack I want. Yeah, you probably know the one.

https://www.discogs.com/release/12244696-Sanjay-Leela-Bhansali-Bajirao-Mastani

If anyone has a good lead on a copy of this that isn't two hundred and sixty loving dollars let me know please.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

IG-88 posted:

I had a feeling this would happen. My girlfriend got me into Bollywood and there's a soundtrack I want. Yeah, you probably know the one.

If anyone has a good lead on a copy of this that isn't two hundred and sixty loving dollars let me know please.

I don't, but how is that so expensive for something that came out in 2018? Then again my Bollywood CDs and things were mostly a pain in the rear end to find.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

hell yeah

gotta get my tickets for February, I've seen them like 5-6 times now and I'm not about to stop (unlike Phil :()

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

IG-88 posted:

I have some Indian music lps (I don’t know if they’re exactly bollywood, It might just be Indian pop from the 70s?) that I never ever listen to. Free in the US and figure out shipping if you’re somewhere else.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Sorry you had to find out like this bud.

got these and (don't read if you're anti-drug) as much marijuana as you can legally buy in a day in Michigan

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Time to smoke hella weed and listen to Gut Feeling. :snoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

Wow