Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I really don't understand how ranking works in OW2. I win games and then go down in rank?

you can't just grind up, you have to play better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I really don't understand how ranking works in OW2. I win games and then go down in rank?

Did you lose more or win more? It only shows your 7 wins for some dumb reason, but all the losses you got during that time cancel out the wins.

headcase fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 21, 2022

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

More wins than losses except for yesterday which had really bad matchmaking for 4 games in a row where my team got rolled with only 2-3 kills.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Except that different things are "broken" in different skill levels, hence all the complaining about Moira, or even Torb.

I got from the blog post last week that Blizzard is on the verge of nerfing Sym, the literal worst non-Doomfist character in the game, probably because bronze and silver players can't shoot turrets. Shows how much they know about balancing a game properly.

If it's that much of a problem, why not reduce the damage that turrets on Torb and Sym do by 30% or something at low ranks instead of assuming that some kind of statistical analysis is apt and making the bad characters even worse?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BabyRyoga posted:

I got from the blog post last week that Blizzard is on the verge of nerfing Sym, the literal worst non-Doomfist character in the game, probably because bronze and silver players can't shoot turrets. Shows how much they know about balancing a game properly.

If it's that much of a problem, why not reduce the damage that turrets on Torb and Sym do by 30% or something at low ranks instead of assuming that some kind of statistical analysis is apt and making the bad characters even worse?

how would that not also be making the bad characters even worse

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

how would that not also be making the bad characters even worse

I think they mean that characters that are too strong in low ranks only should be nerfed in low ranks only.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
ah. i feel like literally changing statistics based on your current placement is a pretty bad long term plan though.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

I think they mean that characters that are too strong in low ranks only should be nerfed in low ranks only.

Yes, didn't they even do this on console in OW1 for turrets specifically because console players had a hard time dealing with them? Just make turrets worse at low ranks across the board.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Have every character's stats be multiplied by their global win rate for the current ranks. Every 1% of global win rate above 50% will remove 5% of character's damage/health/healing/etc and every 1% below will add to it.
Perfect system.

Don't actually do it, lmao.

BabyRyoga posted:

Yes, didn't they even do this on console in OW1 for turrets specifically because console players had a hard time dealing with them? Just make turrets worse at low ranks across the board.

Yes, it used to be that way but they reverted it when they introduced crossplay.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Win percentage and personal performance compared to other players on the same heroes at the same ranks determines if you go up or down. Play better, go up. It works exactly as you would expect.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Jack Trades posted:

Have every character's stats be multiplied by their global win rate for the current ranks. Every 1% of global win rate above 50% will remove 5% of character's damage/health/healing/etc and every 1% below will add to it.
Perfect system.

Don't actually do it, lmao.

Yes, it used to be that way but they reverted it when they introduced crossplay.

In grandmasters it should take 45 minutes to take down an Orisa with headshots imo

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

They are on the verging of nerfing Sym because she has a win rate of like 58% or something. (Because players only pick her when their team is already rolling the other dudes.)

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Megazver posted:

They are on the verging of nerfing Sym because she has a win rate of like 58% or something. (Because players only pick her when their team is already rolling the other dudes.)

Did they actually clarify if it was bad players not being able to shoot turrets, or good players only picking her in extremely niche situations that is leading to the problem? Either way, statistics are a poor indicator of the actual power level of the hero; there are too many unknown variables.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Did they actually clarify if it was bad players not being able to shoot turrets, or good players only picking her in extremely niche situations that is leading to the problem? Either way, statistics are a poor indicator of the actual power level of the hero; there are too many unknown variables.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Javik the Seer posted:

This. Since the dawn of FPS snipers have never ever EVER been fun to play against. In many games they have taken steps to make it a bit more dynamic like in TF2 they had to really charge their shot and you could see their laser sight. In other competitive games they will balance them with limited ammo, big recoil, slower move speed, and other "negatives" to reward a player that can handle them.

But in this game they took all of the most hated aspects of snipers and dialed them up to 11. Gave the sniper mobility, walls, a proximity mine, no recoil, the same health as other characters, and an ultra mobile grappling hook. Its like they said "what have players raged about over the last 2 decades of FPS, yeah lets put all of that in this game". Its just unfun. I know exactly what i'd do to balance it out but It'll be a huge wall of text for each character, but the way widow is in this game now is garbage. Always has been.
What did they do to buff Widow so hard? I feel like last time I played OW1 she was barely a factor because she was so bad.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Javik is playing a different game and accidentally posting in the Overwatch thread because nothing they say is accurate.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

F.D. Signifier posted:

What did they do to buff Widow so hard? I feel like last time I played OW1 she was barely a factor because she was so bad.

That's why I hate her: 80% she's dead weight and on my team, and 5% of the time, the fucker is clicking heads from across the map, and neither is fun.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

widowmaker is hilariously weak and an almost universal deadweight if you're not a ten year veteran AWPer. this is especially the case in the newest maps which are, by and large, a collection of winding, interconnected rooms and short hallways that are god loving awful to try and snipe down

she's a refugee from an earlier era of more confused design that has almost no place in the current paradigm, even with the benefit of having one less shield to try and shoot through

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Jack Trades posted:

This is the peak of my achievements in Overwatch (I'm the Symmetra).

https://youtu.be/cPnKKkjje80

I did like playing the old Symmetra more though, to be honest.

So what did the symm do here ? :v:

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Can Blizzard stop the stupid system where you're put into a game when it's basically over? Getting pretty tired of loading into a qp game just to see the defeat screen.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just Chamber posted:

Can Blizzard stop the stupid system where you're put into a game when it's basically over? Getting pretty tired of loading into a qp game just to see the defeat screen.

If you backfill and lose it doesn't count as a loss and you get free XP for your trouble.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Shame that XP is doubly crippled by both a lackluster battle pass and miniscule rates, so getting XP for backfilling is like getting a little of sip of not particularly good soda. Like, room temperature dollar world cola.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

teagone posted:

If you backfill and lose it doesn't count as a loss and you get free XP for your trouble.

Yea but I dont care about XP or loss record in QP I just dont want to sit in a queue for 2-3 minutes and then get an instant end of match screen. And i'm usually support so i'd be super pissed if I was in a longer queue for tank or dps

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Moirachat: she's not OP at all, she's just kind of obnoxious

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Which fits her personality perfectly

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

F.D. Signifier posted:

Are you The F.D. Signifier that makes the kick rear end youtube stuff?

And they did give her a bit more HP from OW1 but otherwise nothing else. I just think snipers have always been the least fun to play against, bar none. I think that issue is exacerbated in a team based objective focused game where eliminations really do matter. Being able to just eliminate 1/5th of the enemy team every 3 to 10 seconds is extremely powerful and can change the entire dynamic of a game. Few heroes in this game require a complete retooling of a team than a competent Widowmaker.
Its just not fun to play against and there isnt' much room for counter play, it forces other players to play their role better than the widow has to play theirs which is, in my view, inherently unbalanced and unfun.

Also in the ranks i play in, which aren't particularly high I don't think, every character can aim and is a Problem in their role. All things being equal i'd rather have super good enemy players that aren't safely able to ninja away from retaliation for free.

Vermain posted:

widowmaker is hilariously weak and an almost universal deadweight if you're not a ten year veteran AWPer. this is especially the case in the newest maps which are, by and large, a collection of winding, interconnected rooms and short hallways that are god loving awful to try and snipe down

she's a refugee from an earlier era of more confused design that has almost no place in the current paradigm, even with the benefit of having one less shield to try and shoot through

Regardless of your stance on heroes like Widow, the new maps are definitely not that. All of the new maps have a ton of sight lines and flanking routes specifically designed for flanking sniper shots. I think one new asepct of the new maps is that they actually do have high platforms you can stand on instead of sliding off ala Havana and Kings Row. Plus she can always just grapple straight up anyway with no recoil or issues there.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I think the biggest buff to Widow is less shields

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Widow sucks and in a game that's supposed to be about teamwork I genuinely can't understand the thinking of putting a hero into a game that has one thing they can do, what they can do is unfun to play against, and they are encouraged to play miles away from their team. Apart from Blizzard just being lazy and thinking well we have to have a sniper in the game.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Just Chamber posted:

Widow sucks and in a game that's supposed to be about teamwork I genuinely can't understand the thinking of putting a hero into a game that has one thing they can do, what they can do is unfun to play against, and they are encouraged to play miles away from their team. Apart from Blizzard just being lazy and thinking well we have to have a sniper in the game.

at least Widow gets fewer random headshots than Hanzo

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Javik the Seer posted:

Are you The F.D. Signifier that makes the kick rear end youtube stuff?
lol no

It's a joke based on getting banned for posting one of his videos

Splinter posted:

I think the biggest buff to Widow is less shields
Hmmm I didn't think about it but that makes sense.

I also once had a Window one-shot headshot my brigitte with her shield up, I guess it's possible she shot over the shield since she was high up?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I hate getting Widow in Mystery Heroes and tried to suicide off her before remembering that doesn't work. Then the enemy Winston dove through my entire team just to kill me and my team went on to take the point so I guess Widow makes a good tank? The game obviously gave me Widow again on respawn. I also get Doomfist a lot. I'm positive the algorithm is giving me my worst characters. That said I actually got a few kills as Doomfist and he's starting to click with me a bit. Though I still overshoot his seismic slam too much.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

Just Chamber posted:

Preach

F.D. Signifier posted:

lol no

It's a joke based on getting banned for posting one of his videos

Hmmm I didn't think about it but that makes sense.

I also once had a Window one-shot headshot my brigitte with her shield up, I guess it's possible she shot over the shield since she was high up?

Awww dang here i was hoping i met one of my favorite content creators.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I stopped playing comp OW before the queue splits, but I was somewhere in Plat when I did, playing DPS a majority of the time (mainly Pharah.)

I just finished my placements for Damage and Support, got Silver 4 for both. I guess that makes sense?

Also holy hell this game is loving toxic nowadays. Got told to kill myself a few times, that was cool!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Widow exists to counter soldier 76 and zenyatta sweatlords and while I think she sucks the game would slide further into CoD meta without her

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
extremely glad i have yet to encounter anything toxic

worst i've seen is my brother ask some people if they were new while we were stomping them and they were like "gently caress off"

he just wanted to give them some tips!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

verbal enema posted:

extremely glad i have yet to encounter anything toxic

worst i've seen is my brother ask some people if they were new while we were stomping them and they were like "gently caress off"

he just wanted to give them some tips!

had a couple bad usernames in my games. "BurningJews" and "BlackEraser" come to mind

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pattonesque posted:

had a couple bad usernames in my games. "BurningJews" and "BlackEraser" come to mind

yeesh

for the record i've had assholes on both sides of the game but that just comes with the territory. havent had anyone overtly awful

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Javik the Seer posted:

This. Since the dawn of FPS snipers have never ever EVER been fun to play against. In many games they have taken steps to make it a bit more dynamic like in TF2 they had to really charge their shot and you could see their laser sight. In other competitive games they will balance them with limited ammo, big recoil, slower move speed, and other "negatives" to reward a player that can handle them.

But in this game they took all of the most hated aspects of snipers and dialed them up to 11. Gave the sniper mobility, walls, a proximity mine, no recoil, the same health as other characters, and an ultra mobile grappling hook. Its like they said "what have players raged about over the last 2 decades of FPS, yeah lets put all of that in this game". Its just unfun. I know exactly what i'd do to balance it out but It'll be a huge wall of text for each character, but the way widow is in this game now is garbage. Always has been.
yah widow can be unfun to play against b/c you have to dramatically change your playstyle to effectively counter

but widow is probably the hardest sniper to play in any current fps b/c of how cracked out the movement and defense is in overwatch and you usually have to hit headshots to do anything meaningful

Javik the Seer posted:

WHy does a support character do more dps than dps characters by just holding down lmb? And why would any competitive game have any invulnerability mechanic EVER first of all, but have it not be an ultimate second of all. I know they were trying to make the game more dynamic and exciting for support players, but in a game already rife with ways to avoid dying, mitigate damage, and negate the shooting of enemies, this one is way too far imo. At the least Bap himself shouldn't be effected by it.
Most supports in the game can duel dps characters and win and this has been the design philosophy of ow1 from release. Contrary to popular belief, they're almost all basically jacked up dps characters but they have to focus on healing their team a lot instead of fully utilizing their kit for raw damage.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

What the actual gently caress man. Mystery heroes gone wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

Most supports in the game can duel dps characters and win and this has been the design philosophy of ow1 from release. Contrary to popular belief, they're almost all basically jacked up dps characters but they have to focus on healing their team a lot instead of fully utilizing their kit for raw damage.