Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

RandolphCarter posted:

Grounded is so good I might buy dlc if they put any out.

Do you play solo or co-op? I bet it feels like a totally different game with co-op. It's very good in solo just pretty freaky especially at night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Volte posted:

Graphics are in some ways the least of the Series S's concerns - the CPU and RAM are a lot more constrained too, and that stuff is a lot less tunable on the user's end. I don't know what Surgeon Simulator has anything to do with it considering it does run on Series S at 60fps and the original story only says the developer of Surgeon Simulator said that other devs are asking about it (which I fully believe).

Believe it or not, when you force devs to make their games run at a certain level on a low end machine, it impacts what is practical to make the game do on the high end. These things are not all sliding scales where you can just turn down certain things to make it work on whatever machine you want, and developer resources are finite.

I mean it just seems like the performance gulf between consoles is smaller than typical min/max PC settings, which is why I have a hard time believing that series s is the problem here. As people have been pointing out, seems more like the fact that devs are still essentially supporting the PS4 is more problematic.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean it just seems like the performance gulf between consoles is smaller than typical min/max PC settings, which is why I have a hard time believing that series s is the problem here. As people have been pointing out, seems more like the fact that devs are still essentially supporting the PS4 is more problematic.

I think when folks say Series S is holding things back, they're projecting forward a bit. We're probably looking at another 8+ year generation, and it's not hard to imagine Series S taking on PS4's role in that time. Then again maybe it'll be more like the Xbone S, which toward the end of that gen got really badly compromised ports of AAA games that people generally accepted.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

American McGay posted:

Uhh you sure about that?
My bad, I thought the CPU was lower than it is. The point remains, the lower you stretch the low end, the harder it becomes to stretch the high end, especially in ways that aren't just scaling up graphical fidelity. I think games with complex game systems and a lot of dynamic moving parts like Outer Wilds are more likely to run up against this than games with a lot of fancy graphics.

Professor Beetus posted:

Yes, continuing to support the last generation is definitely holding things back, but that's both a temporary problem and more-or-less a self-imposed one. They don't have to support the PS4, they just think it's a good idea for market share reasons. At some point, devs will be moving to next-gen-only (presumably) and at that point, the Series S will be more of a bottleneck. How much of one remains to be seen.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

priznat posted:

Do you play solo or co-op? I bet it feels like a totally different game with co-op. It's very good in solo just pretty freaky especially at night!

Solo, none of my friends have an Xbox. Just spent a night running away from mosquitos while trying to hunt fireflies, ended up running right into a wolf spiders mouth. :argh:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Persona 5 is anime and by that I mean they have a good plot setup and then proceed to tell it to you multiple times out of characters mouth expositing at you which only raises a pile of questions it won't answer instead of doing a montage.

The game is slow as gently caress for no good reason and basic editing and narrative techniques could have cut the game length down by 20+ hours.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Barudak posted:

Persona 5 is anime, no good

Could have stopped there

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Persona 5 is anime, no? Good.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona_5:_The_Animation

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barudak posted:

Persona 5 is anime and by that I mean they have a good plot setup and then proceed to tell it to you multiple times out of characters mouth expositing at you which only raises a pile of questions it won't answer instead of doing a montage.

The game is slow as gently caress for no good reason and basic editing and narrative techniques could have cut the game length down by 20+ hours.

Persona games move at a glacial pace, they desperately need an editor that can cut down like 50% of repetitive exposition.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

persona 5 is a good gane, but it followed persona 3 and 4 which are exponentially better

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
5 is better than 4 but I think 3 is the best one

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

RandolphCarter posted:

Solo, none of my friends have an Xbox. Just spent a night running away from mosquitos while trying to hunt fireflies, ended up running right into a wolf spiders mouth. :argh:

God those things are terrifying. I like spiders irl but getting mobbed by a bunch of orbweavers at night was pure nightmare fuel.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Xbox Series S isn't holding anything back, Capcom made RE8 run at 60fps and look incredible on a baseline PS4. the problem is other devs have lovely game engines and shittier optimization. Ubisoft could barely make loving Asscreed 3 or 4 run on a Switch whereas idSoft committed sorcery to get DOOM 2016 up and running at a solid 30fps.

That being said the new Batman game looks exponentially shittier than Arkham Knight but this isn't a new thing for WB Games---Shadow of War somehow looked shittier than Shadow of Mordor in terms of fidelity and animation. Maybe their teams are just worse or lazier now, though I'm betting corners were cut to make room for the 4-player Avengers gearfest gameplay that nobody really wanted.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

DLC Inc posted:

Xbox Series S isn't holding anything back, Capcom made RE8 run at 60fps and look incredible on a baseline PS4. the problem is other devs have lovely game engines and shittier optimization. Ubisoft could barely make loving Asscreed 3 or 4 run on a Switch whereas idSoft committed sorcery to get DOOM 2016 up and running at a solid 30fps.
None of these things have anything to do with Xbox Series S holding anything back.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
How many absolute masterpiece AAA "next-gen" graphical showpiece games have there been? The bulk of my favorite games in the last few years have been indies or games which haven't been graphical showstoppers because they're on the Switch or something. The only things that come close was Cyberpunk which, much as I like it, has serious issues, and like, Xenoblade 3 which was a graphical showpiece in the sense that it looks really good by Switch standards.

That's what's "holding games back", not any console.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm not sure if it's because I'm sick or because I'm just not into it but persona 5 kind of put me to sleep. The music is great though. Maybe I'm just not a jrpg kind of dude

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Can we at least agree that Gotham Knights revealing that it runs at half the expected framerate two DAYS before release is some serious bullshit?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think it's really funny and also if you pre-ordered a game that looked that rear end, you deserve it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Narcissus1916 posted:

Can we at least agree that Gotham Knights revealing that it runs at half the expected framerate two DAYS before release is some serious bullshit?

Is it really bullshit. I expected it to be hot garbage and all signs point to it being just that. Honestly they should be praised for honest marketing. They're squeezing out a turd and they advertised it as such.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if you pre-ordered a game that looked that rear end, you deserve it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think it's really funny and also if you pre-ordered a game that looked that rear end, you deserve it

Yeah the game never actually looked that great even in the pre release stuff.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I'd say the game that most impressed me was Metro Exodus Enhanced edition, which had ray traced global illumination, even on the series s. The entire lighting system in the game used ray tracing and was super impressive. The game uses dynamic resolution scaling and it would scale down to 520p on series s, which isn't great but still cool that they made it work.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

External Organs posted:

I'm not sure if it's because I'm sick or because I'm just not into it but persona 5 kind of put me to sleep. The music is great though. Maybe I'm just not a jrpg kind of dude

music is good for sleeping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq7kyf1T_lk

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I was fuckin asleep as soon as I knew it was the next game from the developers of the worst Arkham game, but if you expect games to stay 60 fps for the rest of the generation you’re in for a rude awakening

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

I was fuckin asleep as soon as I knew it was the next game from the developers of the worst Arkham game, but if you expect games to stay 60 fps for the rest of the generation you’re in for a rude awakening

I'll play at 1080p no raytracing for it. I ain't going back

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Honestly, if the 30 fps will be like Plague Tale it's really not that bad. The VRR really makes it very smooth, but it's also a slow game so that helps.

Still hoping that games will stay with a performance mode option, but we'll see.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The supposed VRR 40fps in Requiem doesn't feel at all like the 40fps fidelity modes in Rift Apart or Forbidden West, camera movement is still choppy and delayed. Maybe it's a technical issue on my side so I'd sure appreciate some way to troubleshoot it like a frametime chart in the options menu. If you're not bringing PC graphics options over, at least bring the diagnostics

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I will play 720p for 60fps. Im a simple soul.

I will go to 480, final offer

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!
At the end of the day like I always say, all is forgiven if the game is fun. Gotham knights looks like dumbass Ubisoft drudgery and most importantly, not fun.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe i didn't play it long enough since every western game has a 2 hour on rails tutorial section these days but the first Arkham game sucked rear end and i have expected nothing from that style of comic turd since. it's weird seeing people get upset at how bad this latest one is since it basically looks indistinguishable to me

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Oh gently caress yeah

Anno devs posted:

Technical Test – A new way to play Anno 1800
Part of our team has been working hard on bringing the base game experience of Anno 1800 to Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5 and Amazon Luna! And we would love to get your help for a Technical Test in November.

Sign up for the Technical Test by following this link. To participate in the Technical Test, you will need to own either an Xbox Series X|S or a PlayStation 5. And you will need to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) before being accepted.

You probably have more questions, but we will have to ask you for a little bit more patience: We will have more information on the Anno 1800 Console Edition in early 2023.

Will be interesting to see how they make the UI work, but if Crusader Kings 3 can work on a console I don't see why Anno can't either

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation

Larry Parrish posted:

maybe i didn't play it long enough since every western game has a 2 hour on rails tutorial section these days but the first Arkham game sucked rear end and i have expected nothing from that style of comic turd since. it's weird seeing people get upset at how bad this latest one is since it basically looks indistinguishable to me

it was good once it got going but it's hard to go back to now for the reason you mentioned, the tutorial goes on for ages and there's an unskippable :let's walk through the cool environment really slowly" intro.

it turns into a metroidvania game and the combat was fun. the new one looks so boring

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Hell yeah! My favorite part of this gen is that they're bringing over strategy and sims that were traditionally PC only.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Hell yeah! My favorite part of this gen is that they're bringing over strategy and sims that were traditionally PC only.

Yeah absolutely - I loved Anno 1800 at release, but I've since sold my gaming PC and really miss games like that. I realise the announcement says "base game experience", but I wouldn't be surprised if the plan is to get a bunch of Microsoft cash for putting it on Gamepass then selling packs of DLC (there's a colossal amount of it for 1800 now, not Train Sim levels, but I think they're up to Season 4 or 5)

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Yeah they got me with that for stellaris, put the base game on gamepass and then I enjoyed it so bought all the DLC

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it was good once it got going but it's hard to go back to now for the reason you mentioned, the tutorial goes on for ages and there's an unskippable :let's walk through the cool environment really slowly" intro.

it turns into a metroidvania game and the combat was fun. the new one looks so boring

idk why game developers are so afraid to just throw me into the action straight away.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation

Larry Parrish posted:

idk why game developers are so afraid to just throw me into the action straight away.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

:eyepop: