Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I need to take another run at it. I got the machine fired up but never got to the benefits? And the pajama debuffs are pretty brutal.

Also, a patch got released today and it fixed the duped getting past atmo/oxy mask checkpoints without suits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Panty Saluter posted:

I need to take another run at it. I got the machine fired up but never got to the benefits? And the pajama debuffs are pretty brutal.

Also, a patch got released today and it fixed the duped getting past atmo/oxy mask checkpoints without suits
That's why I only PJd my cook. He has 2x6 hour naps, then gets up to cook a bit, seems a decent balance.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Getting back into this after a long while of not playing. Started up a new Spaced out game, I feel like I've messed up somewhere I've got like 8 dupes and I'm mostly stuck frying mush bars, my mealwood farms are really only giving me a small boost every so often of extra food. Any tips on how large my farms should be to support my growing family?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Getting back into this after a long while of not playing. Started up a new Spaced out game, I feel like I've messed up somewhere I've got like 8 dupes and I'm mostly stuck frying mush bars, my mealwood farms are really only giving me a small boost every so often of extra food. Any tips on how large my farms should be to support my growing family?

Look up ONI calculator, there's a food calculator that gives you a best-case scenario for how much to plant for a given number of dupes, along with the resources they consume. It's not fully up to date but it should be good enough

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
It takes ~5 mealwood plants for each dupe. With 8 dupes you need a substantial farming operation.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Early early just-scraping-by tip: the gate puts out light. You can put two planter boxes to the left of it (where the ration box is) and three to the right and grow five bristle blossoms without using power. That’ll feed about 1.5 dupes.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Also don't lean on mush bars. They're good for emergency calories but are otherwise an enormous waste of dirt, water, and labor. Plus you can use up all your dirt without realizing it. So I've heard :ninja:

Mushrooms rule for calories, as long as you have a cool CO2 pit and some slime. I also tend to use excess bathroom water for bristle blossoms, just make sure you cook them.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I like mushroom wraps because the quality is decent, and it consumes otherwise useless resources (slime, bleach stone, salt water)

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 21, 2022

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Early early just-scraping-by tip: the gate puts out light. You can put two planter boxes to the left of it (where the ration box is) and three to the right and grow five bristle blossoms without using power. That’ll feed about 1.5 dupes.

I like to stick my research tables on either side of the gate for the work speed bonus

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

HolHorsejob posted:

Look up ONI calculator, there's a food calculator that gives you a best-case scenario for how much to plant for a given number of dupes, along with the resources they consume. It's not fully up to date but it should be good enough

Thanks, got myself back on track it seems now.

This new radiation lab setup is interesting, wasn't sure what to do at first. I tried putting a bunch of shine bugs in the radiation room and it very slowly gives me some radbolts. Kinda funny I doubt that was intended. I see some uranium nearby that I'm pretty sure they expected me to use instead. Not sure how deadly that radiation is gonna be to my dupes but we'll fine out.

On another note I didn't realize the radbolt generators emitted so much heat. I put em kinda close to my farms so I gotta clean that up and flush out that heat.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
If you can deal with some water cleanup, ice tempshift plates are a wonderful quick and dirty cooling solution

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Thanks, got myself back on track it seems now.

This new radiation lab setup is interesting, wasn't sure what to do at first. I tried putting a bunch of shine bugs in the radiation room and it very slowly gives me some radbolts. Kinda funny I doubt that was intended. I see some uranium nearby that I'm pretty sure they expected me to use instead. Not sure how deadly that radiation is gonna be to my dupes but we'll fine out.

On another note I didn't realize the radbolt generators emitted so much heat. I put em kinda close to my farms so I gotta clean that up and flush out that heat.

Yep. I usually put em in space if I can, and just replace them when they melt themselves

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
You can get a pretty good reactor setup with shine bugs. I had 4 generators getting about 8k rads. It took a bit of trial and error but you just need to use water to confine them on top of the collector half of the generator, and have an auto sweeper dumping the eggs outside of the area the shine bugs are living in. They will produce one egg per lifetime if there are no eggs in their room and they have at least 12 tiles of space (the space can be under water). If you have a separate ranch you can keep adding new eggs to it so the stable population keeps going up, minus the ones that occasionally get hit by radbolts.

It's a bit gimmicky but so is a lot of this game. I probably won't bother doing that again though.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Any tips on how to use the spice grinder? I've got all the ingredients for the preservative one but I don't have an option to actually select the spice. I can view it but there's nothing to tell my dupes to use it

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Any tips on how to use the spice grinder? I've got all the ingredients for the preservative one but I don't have an option to actually select the spice. I can view it but there's nothing to tell my dupes to use it

You select the spice and that affects the colour of the grinder, then you choose what food to apply it to in the list underneath. Then they will season just that food (which will be flagged as 'seasoned')

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

The fresh spice is so good. I was dreading having to do rockets with terrible perishable food, but no! Spiced gristle berries stay good forever with just a powered fridge.

I managed to enable both the critter scanner thing and the somnium synthesizer. They’re both pretty cool, but the somnium is freaking amazing.

Just now in the early-mid-game with steam rockets, getting close to radbolt rockets. My starting asteroid has a crashed satellite with about 1400 rads all around it, but I’m going to need more power to get that sorted. I already earned super sustainable so maybe I will finally set up an arbor farm. Or maybe make a petroleum boiler for the first time ever. That’s probably more useful for the extra water and needed for super coolant and all that.

But first I want to get some rocket automation setup. There are so many things that need a bit of attention for sustainability, but starting in frozen forest gives so much grace with how cold everything is.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

TehSaurus posted:

but starting in frozen forest gives so much grace with how cold everything is.

Just be aware that the coldness is not replenished. Once you heat the place up, it stays warm. Some people think the ice biomes are actively cooled.

I would recommend a petroleum boiler, they are pretty amazing. And either ranching slicksters or build the generators near space so you can vent the CO2. Or a skimmer, but that is boring.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Dunno-Lars posted:

Just be aware that the coldness is not replenished. Once you heat the place up, it stays warm. Some people think the ice biomes are actively cooled.

I would recommend a petroleum boiler, they are pretty amazing. And either ranching slicksters or build the generators near space so you can vent the CO2. Or a skimmer, but that is boring.

Oh definitely. I have one steam turbine going now and it is cooling my main water tank - primarily hot water from a salt water geyser - and then I added another loop from the main water to the coolant tank for my refinery.

I feel like I will probably skip the slicksters to keep the number of creatures down for performance reasons, as ultimately it was performance that killed my last run. We’ll see how far I can get before Ragnarok releases!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

You could consider cooling your base instead and just insulating the water tank. If you use insulated pipes it doesn't really matter if the water is nearly boiling for most things. It's cheaper to just cool down the 98*C oxygen (and burn off the 98*C hydrogen to straight up delete the heat) then the water before.

Might cause issues if you use the water for farming, but even then chilling down a few tiles of water that you then run radiant pipes through is cheaper then doing the whole tank.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Hm. Gonna go ahead and say this electrolyzer design is good enough

edit: downside is that it makes all your water disappear

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

That’s probably a better idea. I think I went with the tank because it was easy to build a turbine next to it and then I could just send 20 degree water to the electrolyzers and bristle blossoms and not have to think about it. But if I put the steam turbine near the elecrolyzers then there’s not much to worry about there either. I have been meaning to move my main water tank for a bit. Maybe now is the time!

Although my spom is mostly made out of iron so I think I do need to keep the input to it somewhat cool regardless, but that’s a pretty small proportion of my overall water usage I think?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

^^ that looks like a very compact version of the ubiquitous Rodriguez! Do you have some pressure sensors on the bottom as well as the top? I figure it’s below the gas pump out of frame.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I tend to have a sump where I drain any environment puddles into to make a big dirty tank, usually around 30C. I can smelt the first metal from that, and build my industry near it with the first tuner and chill it to ~20 and run midgame base cooling off that. Hot vent water (well, cooled to ~60C) I chuck in the SPOM immediately, and get hot oxygen. It only takes 2 steel radiant pipes in metal tiles, cooled with the my base cooling loop from my 20 degree main pool, to chill all the oxygen to <30 degrees before it goes into the base itself. The oxygen is significantly easier to cool than the water.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I realize the controversy around it exists but I will never apologize for using and enjoying piped outputs. Going through all that janky stuff to make a SPOM just because there's no output pipes grinds my gears.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

TehSaurus posted:

^^ that looks like a very compact version of the ubiquitous Rodriguez! Do you have some pressure sensors on the bottom as well as the top? I figure it’s below the gas pump out of frame.

Very much so. Each pair (left and right) has an atmo sensor set to 300g minimum. Hydrogen is also set to 300 minimum. The oxygen vents are set to pump to the base and suits first, then any excess is routed to the oxylite forge up by the rocket. The hydrogen goes to a tank that feeds four hydro generators. The tank is set to run the generators when it fills up to 100 percent and stops at 99 percent. A bank of jumbo batteries stores all the overrun energy. There's coal and petrol generation too but it it hasn't run in many cycles. :madmax:

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

bird food bathtub posted:

I realize the controversy around it exists but I will never apologize for using and enjoying piped outputs. Going through all that janky stuff to make a SPOM just because there's no output pipes grinds my gears.

It wouldn't be so bad if it overpressured at like 3800g. 1800g is just way too low, there's no non-metagamey way to make electrolyzer/rust deoxidizer run elegantly with decent uptime.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
It's mostly down to finding ways to relieve pressure, IME. Overrunning hydro generators helps one side, and running a ton of pipes helps the oxy side a lot, especially early game. basically if there's any chance that oxygen can be useful in an area, I'll gas it up. Also finding areas that don't get a ton of natural flow and running a vent to that area will ease the backup. You can always vent to space but I'm not a fan. Later on, oxylite forges and condensers will eat up excess O2 like no one's business.

As for rust deoxidizers, I had one pumping pretty much 100% with two pumps and a filter. Dump the chlorine in a small room with some dasha (four was PLENTY) and you will never have too much chlorine

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
To keep rust deoxidizers running efficiently you can put it in a U of airflow tiles and add 2 small layers of different liquids.

It's not constantly running (edit: I suppose I could check the uptime, I would guess 95% so close enough) but it will let it run past the normal pressure limit and makes them a bit less finicky.

When they're at a higher pressure like that it makes it easier to get the oxygen to diffuse into your base, which is nice if you want to keep the chlorine away from it.

I assume you can also do that with electrolyzers but I've never done a setup that required that.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Is there a disadvantage to low uptime, beyond the wasted space?

I haven’t played in awhile, but for electrolyzers I remember pretty much just making tall, thin rooms with the electrolyzer in the middle, air pumps at the top and bottom, and some automation to make sure the wrong thing doesn’t go in the wrong pipe. And in the early game, even that’s overkill; you can just run your electrolyzers out in the open.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Not really. As long as you're getting enough oxygen it's fine. It's easier to force oxygen into your base with higher pressure, but that's only a problem if you don't have gas pumps yet.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Adenoid Dan posted:

Not really. As long as you're getting enough oxygen it's fine. It's easier to force oxygen into your base with higher pressure, but that's only a problem if you don't have gas pumps yet.

This exactly. A lot of ONI players obsess over uptime and miss the forest for the trees. It's a useful metric to see where restrictions are in a design, or to see where demand is. It's cool to be able to hit 90+ uptime since that usually means you're running more or less without restriction but you need to know WHY the uptime is what it is. The context in my case was the ungodly network of vents and automation that span the map :v:

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

As long as you aren't doing a silly start with barely any geysers, water supply should be no issue, and then I've taken to making my SPOMs up in space and leaving a hole at the bottom for excess oxygen to seep out for free. This generally gives a good excess of hydrogen for power, and just costs a bit extra water, which should be cheap and renewable.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Can I cool stuff by piping it out through space? I'm guessing no since I can't transfer heat in a vacuum.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
You sorta can cool things with space, but it's in a "dump heat into gas and vent that gas" way. Like, if you have a single hot boulder:

* dig into the side with a vacuum oil-lock
* run an insulated liquid pipe onto the other side, into a cavity you've dug into the rock face
* snake a couple tiles of copper or aluminum ore radiant pipe around the small cavity
* bring the output of that pipe to the edge of space with insulated pipe
* flood the pipe with gas you don't want (gaseous ethanol is easy and can be pumped trivially with gold amalgam pump, has SHC of hydrogen)
* dump water into the cavity via pipe so it fills up with steam

The gas ethanol will bleed heat from the steam, heating itself up in the process, and will carry that heat into space where it just vanishes from existence.

If you have enough water, you can set up a similar system with a total-loss coolant aquatuner in space. Top up a pool of water (salt water?) as it boils away, use the cooling elsewhere.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Ethanol boilers and petrol pwoered generators make hot CO2 in large quantities, so just put these up near space and let the CO2 drift off and take the heat with them. Make them out of gold amalgum and they will never overheat, and you don't need to pump anything or worry about CO2 sinking down into your sump area, building up, overpressuring your base and eventually killing everyone.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm new to the game and in the early-mid game and need some advice on heat. I've got an aquatuner cooling various parts of my base that's sitting in a mixed pool of otherwise unused liquids. I don't have the tech for steam generators yet (map has 0 wheezleworts, somehow, so radiation has been in short supply), so I'm thinking I need to bank the heat in stone somehow. What's a good setup for this, considering I'm somewhat limited on tech and metal?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
you could throw a bunch of igneous rock tempshift plates in the steamroom. what sort of liquids do you have the AT in? what's the AT made out of?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Hey so, random question....does anyone here have the OST via Steam? if so, does the mix on Duplicant Theme sound different to the game version for you? The levels for the distorted bells and various synths are totally different

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I think the ice maker can be used for early heat management? I’ve never played with it myself but that might be what you need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Panty Saluter posted:

you could throw a bunch of igneous rock tempshift plates in the steamroom. what sort of liquids do you have the AT in? what's the AT made out of?

It's a mix of polluted water and salt water and brine. I think the aquatuner is gold amalgam but I think I have enough steel if that's an option.