Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Has there ever been a luxury hot hatch?

There was that A3 with the 3.2 vr6 and Quattro that was basically an r32.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Neither Audi nor Porsche seem as classy as Mercedes on the top end, but Mercedes makes sprinter vans that have Ford as a competitor.

In the US perhaps because Mercedes has billed themselves as a luxury brand here going so far as to lobby for the 25 year minimum for importing foreign cars. In Europe and maybe other places, Mercedes is effectively a German GM (as a whole including Chevy, Cadillac, etc) or Toyota given the mass breadth of type of vehicles they sell from the lowly econobox and people movers to commercial vehicles in addition to their luxury cars which can also be gotten with poverty specs. It's those poverty spec cars that Mercedes probably wanted to shut out of the US while building up that luxury image hence the 25 year rule or at least so I've heard.

In any case, while playing around with what I can with the GR Corolla builder, I see that roof rack cross bars are available. Are those worth a drat? The way they seemingly clamp onto the top of the door sills seems pretty sketchy and looks like a good way to gently caress up the paint job.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 20, 2022

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Can't believe nobody mentioned the FF/GTC4 Lusso yet. I mean hood's a little long, but what's more hatch than a two-door hatch?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Edward IV posted:

In the US perhaps because Mercedes has billed themselves as a luxury brand here going so far as to lobby for the 25 year minimum for importing foreign cars. In Europe and maybe other places, Mercedes is effectively a German GM (as a whole including Chevy, Cadillac, etc) or Toyota given the mass breadth of type of vehicles they sell from the lowly econobox and people movers to commercial vehicles in addition to their luxury cars which can also be gotten with poverty specs. It's those poverty spec cars that Mercedes probably wanted to shut out of the US while building up that luxury image hence the 25 year rule or at least so I've heard.

In any case, while playing around with what I can with the GR Corolla builder, I see that roof rack cross bars are available. Are those worth a drat? The way they seemingly clamp onto the top of the door sills seems pretty sketchy and looks like a good way to gently caress up the paint job.

Re- roof racks: It’s an easy way to gently caress up the bodywork on your roof, if it counts. My wife had a coworker put doorsill mount roof racks and clamp them down way too hard, buckling his roof and putting waves into it. His doors don’t shut right anymore. Just wanted to haul some kayaks on his… I dunno, Malibu? If it doesn’t have factory racks or runners, be super wary of the roofline racks.

(Regarding Mercedes, it’s a fun story, but one that has probably been told too many times in this thread. Of course they’d rather make $20k profit per car…)

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Any FK8 Civic Type-R owners experience a weird buzzing noise near the map lights at around 4000 RPM? I've looked around and it's not just me who has this, but I found jack poo poo about how to fix it.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 20, 2022

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

fknlo posted:

There was that A3 with the 3.2 vr6 and Quattro that was basically an r32.

I don't think the A3 counts as luxury - the corresponding Golf was usually nicer IMO

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Any FK8 Civic Type-R owners experience a weird buzzing noise near the map lights at around 4000 RPM? I've looked around and it's not just me who has this, but I found jack poo poo about how to fix it.

37000 miles on a 2020 here, no buzzing at 4k cruising in 5th gear on highway. Never noticed anything buzzing under hard acceleration either but its pretty noisy so I'm not sure it'd be easy to pick out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

I had a general buzz at that speed that was a master clutch cylinder but it was vibrating the clutch pedal very noticeably.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Is Audi? It’s a premium brand, but maybe not luxury.

I've been seeing a lot of this sentiment where folks don't seem to think luxury brands make luxury cars

Yes, Audi, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura are all luxury brands that sell upmarket luxury cars

What do people think Luxury means, Bugatti and Rolls Royce only?

MrLogan posted:

That lists Tesla as a luxury brand, so it's obviously wrong.

Just because they suck doesn't mean they aren't priced directly in range with their luxury competition

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

MunchE posted:

I've been seeing a lot of this sentiment where folks don't seem to think luxury brands make luxury cars

Yes, Audi, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura are all luxury brands that sell upmarket luxury cars

What do people think Luxury means, Bugatti and Rolls Royce only?

Just because they suck doesn't mean they aren't priced directly in range with their luxury competition

Ok, then so is Buick.

It’s objective. You being a jerk isn’t helping your point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
RR and Bugatti are not Luxury, those are cars for rich fucks.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What quantifies luxury in your mind? I don’t doubt that there are “cheap” members of each generally considered “luxury” brand but it’s usually easier to just lump them that way. I don’t think anyone is going to say a Benz isn’t a luxury brand because they make fleet vehicles.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It doesn't seem really that arbitrary to the people marketing these cars. No one is cross shopping an Audi against a Buick, they are shopping Mercedes, BMW, Acura, etc. Whether you consider Tesla luxury is whatever, they are competing against those brands in the luxury market.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Rusty posted:

It doesn't seem really that arbitrary to the people marketing these cars. No one is cross shopping an Audi against a Buick, they are shopping Mercedes, BMW, Acura, etc. Whether you consider Tesla luxury is whatever, they are competing against those brands in the luxury market.

I dunno, this was the first result on ”Q3 Competitors”

Now add Buick China to the competition.

Its objective.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I dunno, this was the first result on ”Q3 Competitors”

Now add Buick China to the competition.

Its objective.
We're adding Buick in because of getjerry.com?

I would add that things like the A3 and Q3 are the entry level Audi's and compete more probably with the VW variants and that competition.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 21, 2022

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I don’t know wtf get Jerry is, it was just the first result on the first page of google. Qualifiers of “they also make other cars that aren’t luxury cars,” doesn’t really strengthen the argument. Buick makes insanely priced cars too, right?

Drawing hard lines in the sand doesn’t go anywhere here, because we’re talking about global markets and global brands that offer different things in different regions.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, and I said that those cars are marketed as luxury brands (in the US) not sure why this is such a big deal, it's just how they are marketed. Luxury itself is of course subjective, but we're talking about brands that sell in the pretty well defined luxury market.

The enclave is probably a Luxury SUV, but the market for that is going to be at maybe a different audience, I honestly have no idea who buys Buick and I don't think they even make cars anymore.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 21, 2022

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Our heads will all collectively explode when we try to define the market segment for Mazda given their recent pushes in North America.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/mazda-gunning-for-lexus-move-into-luxury-car-market/

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Toyota and Nissan both do it, so not sure why it would be some crazy thing we can't fathom.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Our heads will all collectively explode when we try to define the market segment for Mazda given their recent pushes in North America.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/mazda-gunning-for-lexus-move-into-luxury-car-market/

Oh god, tell me about it. My BiL is a Madza fan and was telling me about how they’re doing all kinds of weird poo poo these days. He’s got whatever the top trim of the CX-5 is and there are parts of it that are higher quality than the Prestige Q5 Mrs. Burd just had to have. That’s also started to extend to the Miata of all things. Which, like, sure but man do I miss the older ones being things you could fix by swearing at them in the right way.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Before he got a G70 I had a buddy who would lease the top trim Mazda 6 every two years and honestly the experience in those things always blew the competition out of the water. Like I personally would have gotten an Accord 2.0T for the performance and a 6spd but the Mazdas felt so….nice inside.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Quite A Tool posted:

Before he got a G70 I had a buddy who would lease the top trim Mazda 6 every two years and honestly the experience in those things always blew the competition out of the water. Like I personally would have gotten an Accord 2.0T for the performance and a 6spd but the Mazdas felt so….nice inside.

my '07 Speed6 was the cushiest car I've ever owned and I miss it a lot

mind you prior to it i owned mostly shitboxes

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

It's the opposite of hot, but man I love hatchbacks.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Rhyno posted:

RR and Bugatti are not Luxury, those are cars for rich fucks.

"Luxury" is a marketing word. It doesn't actually mean anything about build quality or anything else tangible. It's just the market the company is going for, irrespective of whether they succeed. It's not an endorsement at all.

In this case I think the more direct question as I read it is "are there hatches that really go for comfort and don't suck."

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 24, 2022

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Not available in the US anymore but my Elantra GT Sport (aka i30) has the tech package which gives you a panoramic sunroof, heated/cooled seats, adaptive cruise control, a decent stereo, and some other luxury stuff with a somewhat-sporty but still comfortable ride. I wanted the same thing (luxury hot hatch) and wish there were more options for it.

Would have loved a lux version of the FiST with a decent automatic. Not that it’ll happen in the US, but I’d buy the new FiST in a heartbeat if it had an auto option with adaptive cruise control.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

"Luxury" is a marketing word. It doesn't actually mean anything about build quality or anything else tangible. It's just the market the company is going for, irrespective of whether they succeed. It's not an endorsement at all.

In this case I think the more direct question as I read it is "are there hatches that really go for comfort and don't suck."

My friend have you heard of a Volkswagen GTI?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pic of the Veloster, just now out of break-in:

Goodbye, friend. I'm sorry I let you down.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/volkswagen-brings-back-the-push-button-steering-wheel

Thank Christ

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

No mention of the infotainment cluster at all, they've learned absolutely nothing.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’ll quietly slot the Golf R back into consideration if at least one of the inputs uses buttons.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

KakerMix posted:

No mention of the infotainment cluster at all, they've learned absolutely nothing.

The A/C controls are really the biggest negative for me

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KakerMix posted:

steering wheel fix is far, far cheaper so of course that's the plan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
eh the steering wheel is also the fastest fix as they still offer buttons on the wheel on lower trim cars. if it takes off maybe they'll get smart about the center console next

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

At least the centre stack in the Golf makes some sense as it does save a lot of space.l - I don't think it's a good set-up but I can see where they're coming from.

On the Tiguan they simply replaced the 'old fashioned' AC control panel with a new capacitive one that's the exact same size

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's getting to be that sad time of the year when it's time to replace the fun wheels and summer tires with stock wheels and winter tires.

Feels bad man.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Enos Cabell posted:

It's getting to be that sad time of the year when it's time to replace the fun wheels and summer tires with stock wheels and winter tires.

Feels bad man.
It don't have to be. My snows are my fun set.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Different kinds of fun *yanks handbrake* :getin:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

We barely even get snow anymore, it's just cold and windy :saddowns:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Enos Cabell posted:

We barely even get snow anymore, it's just cold and windy :saddowns:

Where I am, every winter is the warmest on record, with what snow we do get followed the next day by like 60 degree weather. It's infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the FiST started smoking a bit, it looked blue tinted so I hoped it was the turbo and not the head gasket. I was thankfully correct, Ford service is quoting a full turbo replacement. He's also submitting it under power train but there's an aftermarket wastegate which may cause the warranty to be denied. But money isn't really the issue.

The parts are on b/o and not expected til December. So in the case that the warranty claim is denied and i have to pay out of pocket I may as well go aftermarket. So....

what the hell should i go with