Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm still plodding through the book on the early American Revolution. I enjoyed this bit about British general Henry Clinton

quote:

Rational, dignified, and brainy, he also could be tetchy, insecure, and obsessive—a “shy bitch,” as he called himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Eeeewww don't recommend Barbara Tuchman

you're literally the first person I've ever heard who doesn't like Tuchman

I'm interested to hear your take, Teriyaki Hairpiece

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I enjoyed The Guns of August, but that's the very first part of the war.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Proud Tower is also good imo. But that and Guns of August are all I've read from her.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Filthy Hans posted:

you're literally the first person I've ever heard who doesn't like Tuchman

I'm interested to hear your take, Teriyaki Hairpiece
I've read Guns of August and A Distant Mirror, both over 15 years ago. I'd heard that Distant Mirror had some real problems but didn't remember any specifics. A vague, lovely take that I cheerfully withdraw.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What is your historical movie/tv show dream? I want a 13 episode miniseries about the Solomons campaign that alternates between an American perspective, a Japanese perspective, and a Guadalcanal islander perspective.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

What is your historical movie/tv show dream? I want a 13 episode miniseries about the Solomons campaign that alternates between an American perspective, a Japanese perspective, and a Guadalcanal islander perspective.

I want a miniseries about the Russian Revolution starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Lenin

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

battle of blair mountain with a giant himbo cast

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
battle off samar/Leyte gulf

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Robert Caro's Master of the Senate cinematic universe

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I want a miniseries about the Russian Revolution starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Lenin
this or a hbo's rome-esque show about the french revolution, tbh

i say swears online posted:

battle of blair mountain with a giant himbo cast
also yes

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i just want hbo's rome, again, but with season two expanded by about 30 more episodes but i'd settle for a russian revolution thing if we could get it without liberal brain poison (this wouldn't happen though)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Already filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-XPxlVuMJU&t=160s

Timestamped for some genuine Orson Welles.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Fall of Eagles actually had a pretty decent rendering of the initial Bolshevik-Menshevik rift in the RSDLP except for when they (as far as I could tell) purposefully conflated Vera Zasulich getting ousted from the Iskra board in 1903 with Maria Spiridonova pledging to return to narodnik-style assassinations after the Left-SR central committee decided Brest-Litovsk had betrayed the revolution by the summer of 1918. As far as I can tell the writers just did this to make Lenin look power-mad but it was just some wild "creative license" they took there. Otherwise a pretty solid miniseries though. They do a few other eye-raising things like that with Lenin, but it was definitely a more sympathetic portrayal than I would have expected from a BBC show. I got the impression they must have used Krupskaya's memoirs as a main source for the episodes that focused on the Bolsheviks.

MeatwadIsGod has issued a correction as of 03:31 on Oct 22, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

R. Mute posted:

this or a hbo's rome-esque show about the french revolution, tbh

oh yeah i'd definitely watch an anthology from 1789-1815 following a couple bumbling sans-coulottes a la pullo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

did Rome end strong? i think i only saw the first season ages ago

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sort of: they got canceled halfway though season 2 and thus had to wrap up that season and do the entire Octavian-Antony civil war in 6 episodes. Given those constraints (and a recast for an older Antony who's not nearly as good) it came out all right, I'd recommend watching it

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

coulda been worse

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Sort of: they got canceled halfway though season 2 and thus had to wrap up that season and do the entire Octavian-Antony civil war in 6 episodes. Given those constraints (and a recast for an older Antony who's not nearly as good) it came out all right, I'd recommend watching it
older octavian, you mean. if they'd have gotten rid of james purefoy, it'd have been a crime.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Oh whoops yeah. Young Octavian is good and the recast is unfortunate but losing Purefoy would have practically killed the show

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

What is your historical movie/tv show dream?
single-camera sitcom set in a Sumerian temple complex, all temple prostitutes and lamentation priests getting into hi-jinks and stuff

edit: maybe it would have to be an hour-long HBO production wrt all the mongooses and wild asses and horny poetry

Gravid Topiary has issued a correction as of 04:51 on Oct 22, 2022

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

6-parter about Cortez' campaign in the New World, preferably a Lars von Trier or Nicholas Winding Refn production

So much crazy poo poo happened. The first battle Cortez deployed dogs to great effect, second battle the Aztecs had a plan: they built pit traps and used spears to kill the dogs but they kept them concealed so the Spaniards wouldn't keep the dogs back and deployed the spears right before the dogs got there a la Braveheart. Cortez captured their king, who was revered as a god, and held him for ransom. The Aztecs (sensibly) told him that the fact the king got captured proved he was a false god so Cortez could keep him for all they cared. There were some pitched battles and at one point Cortez' people were besieged in one of the Aztec temples and only survived because the besieging force quickly succumbed to diseases introduced by the Spaniards. The Spaniards' documents show they witnessed mass sacrifices (I think to Xipetotec, which means the sacrifices would have their hearts cut out and then be skinned, symbolizing the fertility of new plants emerging from seeds); they must have felt they landed in biblical hell. By the time the Spaniards finished their conquest millions of Aztecs were dead.

This is all according to a history class I took over 20 years ago so I may be conflating or misremembering some events. The whole situation was the worst of humanity on display and it would need a real nihilist auteur at the helm to do the story justice.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Oliver Stone directing an adaptation of The Devil's Chessboard, with Michael Shannon in the title role

Comedy option: Michael Bay's The Jakarta Method

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gravid Topiary posted:

single-camera sitcom set in a Sumerian temple complex, all temple prostitutes and lamentation priests getting into hi-jinks and stuff

edit: maybe it would have to be an hour-long HBO production wrt all the mongooses and wild asses and horny poetry

Armando Iannucci's Enkidu

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narv%C3%A1ez_expedition

cabeza de vaca would be way more fun if we have to choose a conquistador

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Armando Iannucci does the Year of the Five Emperors

The part where they bid for Emperor would be loving hilarious

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Buddy cop procedural set in warlord period china

Landsknecht anti-band-of-brothers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A minute-to-minute accurate recreation of Shattered Sword with a split-screen cinematography gimmick so you have the Japanese POV running concurrent with the American one

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Armando Iannucci's Cuban missile crisis with Steve Buscemi as Kruchev.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
the office but about ea-nasir

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

A series about the life of Jan Janszoon van Haarlem aka Murat Reis.

Seriously, read this dude’s bio: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Janszoon

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Anything set before the Iron Age would be cool although almost everything made until now has been poo poo.

And of course the wars of the diadochi which seems to be high up on people's lists pretty often.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A more serious answer: Probably the life and adventures of Sokollu Mehmed-Pasha, ideally not made by Turkey.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
13 episode mini series on the Trưng sister's rebellion shot ala HBO Rome.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

was this thread talking about odd westad? whats the general consensus about their books?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

after the Age of Napoleon episode about it, I'd love a good Battle of Trafalgar movie

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Suplex Liberace posted:

was this thread talking about odd westad? whats the general consensus about their books?

i read his cold war survey book and it didnt strike me as awful

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Suplex Liberace posted:

No book or author is perfect but his books are among the best available if you want to understand the Cold War as a global conflict.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

ok thats good to know i found a cheap copy of his book on china restless empire i will check it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Buddy cop procedural set in warlord period china

Bridge of Birds would be difficult to turn into a film but kickin' rad if they managed it.