Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

~Coxy posted:

I can't wait for the self-driving-car to get pregnant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twx98M4EiYo :nws:

Mutts

:china:

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 22, 1934)

Peanuts (October 24 November 5, 1975)

The Reaction You've Earned When You Step On Ed's Big Moment

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (May 23, 1939)

Out Our Way (February 22-24, 1940)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Really enjoying Goldie Comeuppance Gaiden arc after the year of that little poo poo being right every time.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Huxley posted:

A+J

I was only like 50% sure, but now I'm definitely sure this is a repeat week.

copyright in the panel border says 2018 so i guess that's that

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

That's because he is, Toby.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

EasyEW posted:

I know Batuik has a complete inability to draw normal facial expressions, but is it possible to read the last panel as anything other than "I'm here to see a woman fall to her death and by god, it's going to happen!"?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Crankshaft belongs in a home

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EasyEW posted:

Is this the second time he's pulled a suicide fake-out as a joke or was there another? I know Cancer Actress climbed to the top of the Hollywood sign.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
She did not seem the correct sort of angry for running dry.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm going to assume this joke is harmless in its original context and that the right wing idea that social inclusion is enfeebling the military is less rampant in Finnland.

The joke isn't that social inclusion is enfeebling the military. The joke is that Putin's general assumed "making progress" meant "making social progress" instead of progress in their military campaign, and Putin isn't happy about it. The general is obviously proud about the great progress they have made. Jarla is a very left leaning guy in general, so I would be pretty shocked to see him do a chuddy inclusion joke.

As for Finland... well... It ain't great. Our military is trying but progressive values aren't shared by all, and you would definitely hear some hosed up opinions if you asked people who identify as military supporters.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Galley Slaves

Next week: New adventure!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Oh goddammit.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

I find it hard to believe Poncho would dodge that bone instead of catching it.

The Boring People Hangout Hour

We have not seen Mud and I don't care about him. I don't care about Truck either. I don't care about any of these old people why am I posting this?

Andertoons

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Mary Worth is shameless and I'm loving it.

Third day in a row Mark Trail has included a thought bubble of Tess, in case you can't figure out by the context that Rex is attracted to somebody named Tess Tigress. Mark states "this is how I met my wife" but I got confused so thank god the narration box told me too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

O ghost who walks, I spoke to you a false prophecy, more than just a false book which you have hidden in the tomb!

Let me tell you now how you will truly die on your way to Gravelines, o ghost who doesn't wash his hands after making GBS threads before dinner...

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Chako

Register Cat

I agree with the manager!

Cthulhu and Girl

Self-Propelled Public Bath

I find it absolutely endearing how terrible Maruoka is at drawing guns.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Oh goddammit.

I hope his last words are "If only you married meeeeeeeeee"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

alright alright let's take our bets
-Nothing happens despite the threats of things happening -> zak continues to be whiny and ruins the relationship because Iris cant just have a perfect hunk
-zak falls, is hospitalized: ohh of course i'll marry you when you're out -> mary worth is busy bodying a wedding
-zak falls, is in a coma: ohhhh if only i had married you -> and now for a 2 year storyline where i feel guilty about dating other men. wilbur is there
-zak loving dies: IF ONLY I HAD MARRIED HIM -> Wilbur slides into her DMs successfully
-zak loving dies, iris is under police investigation: somehow wilbur worms his way into this one too, mary bakes her way into the hearts of the police

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I believe the writers felt our bloodlust for Wilbur, and will not tease us a second time.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Parenting.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

ˇAragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I know that the current A&J plotline is a repeat because I remember the first time around. I had some inherited china I didn't want and didn't feel right throwing it out and didn't feel like Goodwill would want it.

Still have that china. I still don't want it.

Luann

Alt

Alt

Oh, God. Do I even want to know?

... Okay, I'm looking.

Oh God.

Gil Thorp

Alt

Alt

Because the coach got roped into subbing a French class? Okay. I can think of worse reasons to call it quits, but it still seems like a weird place to draw the line

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Julet Esqu posted:

Alt

... Okay, I'm looking.

Oh God.
oach got roped into subbing a French class? Okay. I can think of worse reasons to call it quits, but it still seems like a weird place to draw the line

I just read the entire last four weeks and... what. Is this an anticipated result of a stroke?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Alt

... Okay, I'm looking.

Oh God.
How many papers does this guy have left again?

I'm torn on Life in Hell in general - the end-of-history 'true hell is being empty inside due to your office job being crummy' stuff is pretty funny in 2022 - but this specific category of strip gets me every time in a good (depressing) way. The looming, implacable, unappeasable bulk of the parent contrasted with the already-doomed and cowering child. Here's hoping this kind of parenting keeps fading.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's the middle of the night and I have a headache. So I made this.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Oh goddammit.

A preview of Sunday's strip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doDFHOTLMo4

Julet Esqu posted:

I know that the current A&J plotline is a repeat because I remember the first time around. I had some inherited china I didn't want and didn't feel right throwing it out and didn't feel like Goodwill would want it.

Still have that china. I still don't want it.

Luann

Alt

Alt

... Okay, I'm looking.

Oh God.

Why did I look

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Only a coward can't respect the genius of an author speedrunning how fast he can respectfully masturbate to his aged child characters. :getin:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Cowslips Warren posted:

Excuse me, but the catrhino will clearly get together with some rabbit to make the first ever tri-hybrid.

The wolfcar will get together with the batcupine to make a flying car that shoots quills.

Eventually, it will star in Dumb & Dumber

Drakyn posted:

How many papers does this guy have left again?

I'm torn on Life in Hell in general - the end-of-history 'true hell is being empty inside due to your office job being crummy' stuff is pretty funny in 2022 - but this specific category of strip gets me every time in a good (depressing) way. The looming, implacable, unappeasable bulk of the parent contrasted with the already-doomed and cowering child. Here's hoping this kind of parenting keeps fading.

If it helps any, on my son’s sixth Christmas Eve, we told him he could open one gift on Christmas morning.

We awoke Christmas morning, undisturbed. Which was extremely weird; a five-year-old will wake you on the pinking of dawn on Christmas.

We repaired to the living room, to be greeted by the sight of our child, playing with a toy in a literal sea of wrapping paper and gifts. Everyone’s gifts.

I was furious for about two seconds, until my wife started giggling, and we were off.

My son never stopped playing while he wished his parents an enthusiastic, “Merry Christmas!”

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 22, 2022

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Poil posted:

It's the middle of the night and I have a headache. So I made this.
:golfclap:

PainterofCrap posted:

My son never stopped playing while he wished his parents an enthusiastic, “Merry Christmas!”
awwwwwwww

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (December 11-13, 1922; spoilered for the Usual Reasons (Chinese Variation).)

Toonerville Folks (March 4-6, 1920)

For the longhand impaired:

"Willie Verifies His Suspicion
"--that is big sister had something in her Diary that she wouldn't want anyone to read for a million dollars!"

This definitely isn't the last time Mr. Fox is going to cursive at us.

Dok's "Taking 'Going Over The Falls' Lessons From Rip Haywire" Duck (June 1, 1920; spoilered for Usual Reasons (Mexican Revolution variation), and no, I haven't been able to put names to any of those faces in that last panel.)

Little Lefty (July 12-14, 1937)

:china: :china: :china:

Blondie From Zero: End-of-the-Beginning-Game (January 9-11, 1933)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 22, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Nov 21, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 1-2, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

:fireman:

Classic Arlo and Janis (November 15, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

As for Finland... well... It ain't great. Our military is trying but progressive values aren't shared by all, and you would definitely hear some hosed up opinions if you asked people who identify as military supporters.

Maybe they should be told that they're holding the line with the Russian army - maybe that'll make them change their mind out of spite?

Anyways, in today's Blueberry: Trouble in paradise..., or Stanton gets upset with Mike and Pearl, or Stanton gets reminded that labour unions are stronger than any capitalistic exploitation

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

EasyEW posted:

Holy poo poo, Batiuk got a genuine laugh out of me.

Docks

Retail

Popcom

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

No translation needed Fingerpori.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU