Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

1) its probably not super current, and might even be pre fall of cadia, and 2) the emperor doesn't make those calls and never has, on account of he is a rotting corpse. The only eldar/Imperium alliances have been in moments of convenience and never as a broad mandate, just individuals and small groups across planets and stuff.

Rogue Traders are specifically noteworthy for making alliances with individual xenos last for a while. A sister of battle likely wouldn't care though.
1)Alright might be
2)I wasn't talking about the emperor, it was Roboute Guilliman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Great, now in my mind one (or both) of the two Forgotten Primarchs are Raphael Ambrosius Cousteau.

Edit: And yes, a coalition of Saint Celestine, Inquisitor Greyfax, Belisarius Caul, Ynnari (Is that her name, or just her faction? Both?) and Trayzan the Infinite were responsible for healing Roboute. They had to kill him first, so a bunch of Ultramarines were trying to stop them, and his new armour may well be keeping his soul in his body, so he can never take it off.

Then when Ynnari and Roboute were saying farewell they smiled at each other and went to draw their weapons and fight BUT THEN DIDN'T! This means they're BFFs now, by 40k standards.

Elfface fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 21, 2022

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

1) its probably not super current, and might even be pre fall of cadia, and 2) the emperor doesn't make those calls and never has, on account of he is a rotting corpse. The only eldar/Imperium alliances have been in moments of convenience and never as a broad mandate, just individuals and small groups across planets and stuff.

Rogue Traders are specifically noteworthy for making alliances with individual xenos last for a while. A sister of battle likely wouldn't care though.

They're referring to Roboute Guilliman, Primarch of the Ultramarines, who was healed from his near death state in a stasis tube by the combined efforts of a radical member of the Mechanicus and a group of Eldar. And the combined group proceeded to have many adventures fighting together against Chaos to get back to Terra (ultimately reaching it via a Webway Gate on the Moon), where Guilliman proceeded to become Regent of the Imperium.

As such it's likely become more politically and doctrinally acceptable to make temporary alliances with certain groups of Eldar (or in this case, pick up a Ranger crewmember) - particularly the actual group involved, the Ynnari - but there's no formal alliance in place. For one, each Craftworld (or Troupe) is a separate polity with their own goals so it'd be kind of hard to make a formal alliance with them as a whole. And for two, just because the now head of of the Imperium has said it's more acceptable, doesn't mean every group in the bureaucratic nightmare that is the Imperium actually agrees - or has even heard about it.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 21, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Guilliman/Fall of Cadia thing is fairly recent, and seems like it was the first major change to the lore in a decade as they kept dancing with advancing the lore past the actual 40k year. You've basically got 2 actual imperiums split apart by warp rifts and new things like buffer Space Marines etc.

The game codex is like 10th edition now I think, and Rogue Trader was written during 5th/6th edition. It will be interesting to see which version of Necrons they use if at all.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
Yvraine is the leader of the Ynnari.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Elfface posted:

Great, now in my mind one (or both) of the two Forgotten Primarchs are Raphael Ambrosius Cousteau.

two different builds of him yes, this is canon now

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Guilliman's orders and ability to enforce them have not actually spread that far in the Imperium. Many Inquisitors don't like him and many worlds have never heard anything about him.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

pentyne posted:

The Guilliman/Fall of Cadia thing is fairly recent, and seems like it was the first major change to the lore in a decade as they kept dancing with advancing the lore past the actual 40k year. You've basically got 2 actual imperiums split apart by warp rifts and new things like buffer Space Marines etc.

The game codex is like 10th edition now I think, and Rogue Trader was written during 5th/6th edition. It will be interesting to see which version of Necrons they use if at all.

I can guarantee 100% that if any necrons are in-game they'll be Newcrons. No way they undo literal years of branding and advertising. It'd be equivalent to having a post-Fall of Cadia game where they retcon the Primaris.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

They’ve shown two Necron .gifs

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The convenient thing about Newcrons is that you can still have oldschool style Necrons popping up if you need them. If all you need are spooky silent terminator robots, just throw a bunch of uncontrolled newly awoken warriors at the player. Fills the same narrative role, and you never have to touch the nobles with actual personality if you don't want them.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I do hope Newcrons make an appearance though- I've never really found the Oldcrons to be engaging beyond their first impression, and having independent Lords running about mans that there's room for shenanigans setting them against each other.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Newcrons are over a decade old and have consistently featured in every spin off media to include necrons of any kind. I can't imagine they'd change that here.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Lord Koth posted:

They're referring to Roboute Guilliman, Primarch of the Ultramarines, who was healed from his near death state in a stasis tube by the combined efforts of a radical member of the Mechanicus and a group of Eldar. And the combined group proceeded to have many adventures fighting together against Chaos to get back to Terra (ultimately reaching it via a Webway Gate on the Moon), where Guilliman proceeded to become Regent of the Imperium.

As such it's likely become more politically and doctrinally acceptable to make temporary alliances with certain groups of Eldar (or in this case, pick up a Ranger crewmember) - particularly the actual group involved, the Ynnari - but there's no formal alliance in place. For one, each Craftworld (or Troupe) is a separate polity with their own goals so it'd be kind of hard to make a formal alliance with them as a whole. And for two, just because the now head of of the Imperium has said it's more acceptable, doesn't mean every group in the bureaucratic nightmare that is the Imperium actually agrees - or has even heard about it.

I know. Hence point 1

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Newcrons own so much, and Mechanicus features themk heavily.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Newcrons are over a decade old and have consistently featured in every spin off media to include necrons of any kind. I can't imagine they'd change that here.

yeah it's extremely clear that is what GW considers Necrons to be and have always been.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Apparently the new Leutin video is about the area of the game/has some story info in partnership with Owlcat. Haven’t had the time to check it out yet.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah current space Tomb Kings Necrons (which own) is here to stay. Oldcrons have already been accounted for as just specific dynasties of the greater empire. The only real retcon is the state of the C'Tan.

Also the Silent King's model is probably the best model ever made tbh.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I have the mtg Necron deck, because it is cheaper than getting into the wargame.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Getting back into the flow of the game, here's a Owlcat Dev Diary on being a Rogue Trader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsqjwl3ME2c

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's... different from how WH40K is typically represented, that's interesting - I do hope that the bleak satire isn't left out, though.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Terrible Opinions posted:

I stopped playing 40k around the time Necrons were first released/invented, and I know enough through cultural osmosis about the "philosophical" difference between old and new (with Old being the Dark Crusade "undead, unthinking robots who just want to eradicate all life, period" and the New being Mechanicus "Tomb Kings IN SPACE!") but did their design/units evolve that much in the retcon ?

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 13, 2022

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Kobal2 posted:

I stopped playing 40k around the time Necrons were first released/invented, and I know enough through cultural osmosis about the "philosophical" difference between old and new (with Old being the Dark Crusade "undead, unthinking robots who just want to eradicate all life, period" and the New being Mechanicus "Tomb Kings IN SPACE!") but did their design/units evolve that much in the retcon ?

The peons are still just terminators I think. The leadership caste are the space pharoahs. TBH I just don't think Necrons needed a backstory or motivations. The less you know about them the cooler/scarier they are. Gotta fill up those books with something though I guess.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Samovar posted:

It's... different from how WH40K is typically represented, that's interesting - I do hope that the bleak satire isn't left out, though.

I don't think it will be, if it's anywhere near to how Rogue Traders are usually presented, honestly- after all, you not just the 1% of the Imperium's 1%, you're also a space-conquistador. Think to all the excesses of colonialism, then realize that you're not only encouraged to turn all that to 11, you're expected to. Indeed, it is a sacred duty (and I'm not speaking figuratively here).

Randallteal posted:

The peons are still just terminators I think. The leadership caste are the space pharoahs. TBH I just don't think Necrons needed a backstory or motivations. The less you know about them the cooler/scarier they are. Gotta fill up those books with something though I guess.

Newcrons gave us The Infinite and The Divine (a.k.a. Orikan and Trazyn's Excellent Adventure) and I'll have nothing said against them :colbert:

EDIT: Spoilers for the book below.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 13, 2022

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

I don't think it will be, if it's anywhere near to how Rogue Traders are usually presented, honestly- after all, you not just the 1% of the Imperium's 1%, you're also a space-conquistador. Think to all the excesses of colonialism, then realize that you're not only encouraged to turn all that to 11, you're expected to. Indeed, it is a sacred duty (and I'm not speaking figuratively here).

Yeah, for better or worse, Owlcast played their Pathfinder games fully deadpan. I wouldn't expect them to stray from that for 40k, both because it's been their style up to this point and, as you say, Rogue trader doesn't really seem to encourage that kind of darkly comic take on the Imperium

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

CommissarMega posted:

From one of my group’s Rogue Trader sessions:
Psyker: Isn’t this entire endeavor completely hosed? We just orbitally bombarded the largest city on this feudal world out of existence!
Navigator: And tomorrow, we’ll visit the largest city remaining on this planet. And the next day, we’ll visit the largest city on this planet. And we’ll keep on visiting the largest city on this planet, day after day, until there are no more cities, or until they give us what we want.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kobal2 posted:

There are a lot of new units. In particular taking the teleport from something that only happens on death or with a monolith to most non-basic units having some kind of special movement.

Samovar posted:

It all seems pretty in line with Fantasy Flight's Rogue Trader.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Preechr posted:

From one of my group’s Rogue Trader sessions:
Psyker: Isn’t this entire endeavor completely hosed? We just orbitally bombarded the largest city on this feudal world out of existence!
Navigator: And tomorrow, we’ll visit the largest city remaining on this planet. And the next day, we’ll visit the largest city on this planet. And we’ll keep on visiting the largest city on this planet, day after day, until there are no more cities, or until they give us what we want.

:allears: That is loving perfect Rogue Trading; every one of you deserves a Crux Imperialis!

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
New companion preview

Aeldari Ranger Yrliet Lanaevyss

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

our first task: feed her a little

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

She's literally in the game's website banner, not sure you need to hide any spoilers.

Just realized the blue-ish person in the back isn't actually a Tau but a human NPC, so it seems like there's only one confirmed Xeno so far.

A distressing lack of Orkz in general.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I want my romancible Kroot, dammit.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Cant wait for the reveal of the jokaero crewmate

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GRRR HISSS :commissar:

Seriouspost: I do wonder how many companions we'd be travelling with if we go full Puritan- first there's the unsanctioned psyker (who I honestly consider to be the biggest threat, narrative-wise), and now a xeno, so there's two companions I'm probably going to have to shoot sooner or later. Hopefully there's a create-your-own-party option like in their Pathfinder games.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Uh, are Puritan Rogue Traders even a thing?

Wouldn't you just be a freight baron at that point?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If the puritan-radical distinction is even a thing, I imagine the radical Rogue Trader isn't going to be getting much help from the SoB or possibly the Space Marine companion

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Slashrat posted:

If the puritan-radical distinction is even a thing, I imagine the radical Rogue Trader isn't going to be getting much help from the SoB or possibly the Space Marine companion

The Space Marine appears to be of the Space Wolves chapter - one of the canon ones who are happier to bend the rules at times, even coming to blows against people who are effectively the active hand of the Imperium and representatives of Terra/the Emperor. Very easy to do a "ok, I'll work alongside the xenos witch for the mean time, but once this is over we fight each other".

I don't know about the Sister of Battle, though, she'd maybe be a Puritan route-exclusive kind of thing.

Or most probably the inevitable conflict involving The Great Enemy that is Chaos will get everyone to play nice while it needs to be dealt with.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BrotherJayne posted:

Uh, are Puritan Rogue Traders even a thing?

Wouldn't you just be a freight baron at that point?

Yeah, it's entirely possible to be a Puritan Rogue Trader while still doing Rogue Trader-y stuff. It just puts more emphasis on the whole 'Colonialism HO!' aspect of the business, and less on 'harems of nubile xenos' bit.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Given how cartoonishly xenophobic the Imperium is, I'm curious about why any xenos would even want to travel with a Rogue Trader. I doubt they care about strengthening the Imperium and surely there's a pretty high risk of someone just going "Actually, you're a filthy xeno heretic. Get purged." and shooting them on a whim.

I guess theres a plot reason for it in this game given the latest companions preview.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Nephthys posted:

Given how cartoonishly xenophobic the Imperium is, I'm curious about why any xenos would even want to travel with a Rogue Trader.

well that lady is on the Path of the Outcast, and a human Rogue Trader would undoubtedly allow her to visit places she would never be able to get alone, or at least with far more ease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Nephthys posted:

Given how cartoonishly xenophobic the Imperium is, I'm curious about why any xenos would even want to travel with a Rogue Trader. I doubt they care about strengthening the Imperium and surely there's a pretty high risk of someone just going "Actually, you're a filthy xeno heretic. Get purged." and shooting them on a whim.

I guess theres a plot reason for it in this game given the latest companions preview.

It is pretty far away from any core region of the Imperium. On the edges even hardliners tend to bend the rules a little bit (just like in the black fortress board game you can have a priest and a man of iron cooperate)