Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, the basic gist if 'BL3 action is better than BL2, but the writing is worse'. If I had to compare the impression both games left me, at release, I'd say BL2 was at the time better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Casimir Radon posted:

From what I understand people like Tiny Tina. But some years ago someone posted a YouTube video full of quotes and it was all annoying monkey cheese poo poo.

The whole series seems like it was designed for Reddit.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Tiny Tina annoyed me in Borderlands but she's toned down a lot in Wonderlands

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

BL1 is probably the fastest I’ve ever gone from “ok I’ll check it out” to uninstalling and every subsequent one has looked just as bad if not worse.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

SeANMcBAY posted:

The whole series seems like it was designed for Reddit.
Reminded me of this classic:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Kins posted:

I have no idea whether this site has any cred with rumors or whatever, but:

https://twitter.com/InsiderGamingIG/status/1583082074994450432

For those too lazy to click, the rumor sources say that it's a three-man-squad extraction-shooter (think Hunt Showdown or Tarkov, but probably not as hardcore as the latter) that'll be live-service as hell.

Weird.

If they include a PvE mode alongside the standard PvPvE mode those games focus on it might be actually worth playing, if not it'll be unplayable trash like every game in that miserable little subgenre

Turin Turambar posted:

Man, I could write a pair of pages about Destiny failings, in basic things like difficulty, level progression vs content, matchmaking for activities, raids, etc etc. Great shooting though!

Recently went back to it because of a mix of mild nostalgia and the fact that it's one of the few meaningful games that I can only play on my PS4 and not my laptop or Steam Deck*, but Destiny 1 still holds up pretty well

*we aren't all that far off from the game's 10th anniversary, Sony could make some easy cash by doing a PC port of Destiny 1

Volte posted:

Tiny Tina annoyed me in Borderlands but she's toned down a lot in Wonderlands

Yeah Wonderlands was fine, main reason I stopped playing it was because it ran like hot dog poo poo on my laptop unless I dialed the graphics down to "looks like a no budget PS2 game" levels and It's not worth it at that point

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

drrockso20 posted:

*we aren't all that far off from the game's 10th anniversary, Sony could make some easy cash by doing a PC port of Destiny 1

All the best D1 content is slowly osmosing into D2 anyway

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

haveblue posted:

This got changed in 3, FWIW

I remember at first it seemed like the villains being streamers who built their cult of personality into an actual cult of murderers was a pretty great idea, but they don't really follow it far enough to say anything interesting and at the end one of them transforms into a giant demon for reasons I don't remember which was kinda weak

The best description of the bad characterization of the twins is that as the protagonists turn the tide in BL2, Jack gets increasingly unhinged and panicky and angry, whereas the twins barely seem to acknowledge that you matter even as you're tearing their empire down and mass-murdering their goons. There's no sense of, like, narrative momentum in them.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

New Tales from the Borderlands sounds exactly like what you'd get when A Randy is involved.

To the person who made the Prodeus campaign "Finite": PUT SOME GODDAMN LIGHTS IN YOUR MAPS. There's a reason why Doom 3 got lambasted for being so dark, but at least that game gives you a flashlight. You can make things moody and spooky with more than "pitch black", you know. I wasted close to an hour literally groping around in the dark, and the only way to fix that was turning my brightness settings up to max. Even then I dropped it after wandering around a poorly and overelaborately made cave system looking for something special to power up a drill, but I had no idea what I was looking for and the handy "objective marker" that helped so much in the main campaign was nowhere to be seen. Hard pass.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 21, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

haveblue posted:

All the best D1 content is slowly osmosing into D2 anyway

That implies Destiny 2 actually has any content after Bungie purged most of it out a couple of years ago in a vain attempt to fight how much of a hard drive space hog it was when the sensible thing would have just been to just move on to a third game instead

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Warframe is better than Destiny 2, even if it's utterly impenetrable for newcomers without assistance

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Drinkslinger posted:

Warframe is better than Destiny 2, even if it's utterly impenetrable for newcomers without assistance

so just like destiny 2 then

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've played a few levels of the second episode of Hrot and I think...I think it's not very good. It is not an interesting game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I enjoyed playing BL2 with a friend well enough, but I found that in the later portion of the game I'd hit these plateaus every 10 levels or so where enemy HP would outstrip my damage output for like, 5 levels. But that was also after I respecced because for a while I had a combo that vaporised everything before my friend could do anything and would tank her framerate. Ricochet and slag was awesome.

Anyways, lol, eat poo poo, Randy.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I seem to recall the bot commands in 2k4 weren't too bad for ddom and ctf

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ilmucche posted:

I seem to recall the bot commands in 2k4 weren't too bad for ddom and ctf

They weren’t. I played offline a bunch since I only had dial up at home still in 2004-2005.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Grimthwacker posted:

To the person who made the Prodeus campaign "Finite": PUT SOME GODDAMN LIGHTS IN YOUR MAPS. There's a reason why Doom 3 got lambasted for being so dark, but at least that game gives you a flashlight. You can make things moody and spooky with more than "pitch black", you know. I wasted close to an hour literally groping around in the dark, and the only way to fix that was turning my brightness settings up to max. Even then I dropped it after wandering around a poorly and overelaborate cave system looking for something special to power up a drill, but I had no idea what I was looking for and the handy "objective marker" that helped so much in the main campaign was nowhere to be seen. Hard pass.

Aside from that particular one, are the Prodeus extra campaigns any good? I'm almost finished with the main one and it was getting better, but now I feel like it's falling apart at the seams and I might just put it down after I finish. I really dig the aesthetic and gunfeel, but the menagerie etc makes the encounters unsatisfying.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
jesus, Randy.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Serephina posted:

Aside from that particular one, are the Prodeus extra campaigns any good? I'm almost finished with the main one and it was getting better, but now I feel like it's falling apart at the seams and I might just put it down after I finish. I really dig the aesthetic and gunfeel, but the menagerie etc makes the encounters unsatisfying.

Right now the only one that's been actually published is the Contest Winners "campaign", which showcases the absolute best community maps that show off what this game can do. The rest are still WIP but I'm going to poke around and see what they've come up with so far.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I remember Ellie from BL2 being a more of a fat joke than in BL3, where she was more portrayed as a Lizzo type or whatever.

I dunno, memory vague.

Ellie in 3 was miserable. She screams every line and never shuts the gently caress up. That actually sums up most of the characters in 3.

Oddly enough, I like the writing in 2 just fine. I replay it every once in a while, and maybe it's just from not being active on the internet around that time, but I look for all the memes people get upset about and don't really see them.

The writing in 3, though, Jesus. All of the jokes are just setup-setup-setup-setup-setup and if there is any punchline, it's either awful or it gets cut off by another character or more radio chatter. It gets toned down in the DLCs. Wonderlands is better.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Or just play Tales from the Borderlands.

Telltale was (is?) truly top tier.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
borderlands has never been funny or otherwise well-written.

also I hope that marathon extraction shooter thing actually comes out so tarkov can stop resting on its laurels and actually have some real competition

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I still think there's great stuff in the mainline games, especially from Handsome Jack's voice actor. His early-game banter in 2 is really good.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I liked the DLC in BL2 where you are in a D&D game. That was actually the best part of the entire game.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 21, 2022

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I liked the DLC in BL2 where you are in a D&D game. That was actually the best part of the entire game.
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is a full-game version of that and it's pretty fun.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pennsylvanian posted:

I still think there's great stuff in the mainline games, especially from Handsome Jack's voice actor. His early-game banter in 2 is really good.

Handsome Jack is a fantastic villain and extremely hatable

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

haveblue posted:

Handsome Jack is a fantastic villain and extremely hatable

They did a great job in the Pre-Sequel showing him growing from the horrible but still basically personable guy he was at the start (I mean, he already had Angel locked up, right?) to just an absolute monster.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Handsome Jack is definitely the high water mark of the series for me. Just a fantastic and hateable (but still compelling) gonzo character.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Finally got a chance to sit down with Cultic and blast through the last four maps - great game, can't wait for the next chapter. I think this might be my favourite retro-style shooter other than Dusk. I have some nitpicks, like the fact that the kill counter doesn't reflect completion and the denominator keeps going up as the map progresses (and in one case, I ended up getting killed while exploring for secrets after unlocking the exit because there were two enemies lying in ambush that weren't counted in the kill counter, so I ended up with more kills than the total number of enemies), and enemies in the distance could really use some accuracy falloff, even if it means the player has the same accuracy falloff. But otherwise it's an awesome game and I enjoyed every minute of it, other than the frustrating ambush level which they have since addressed (and which I since got gud at anyway). And it only reinforced my feeling that games always feel better with headshots.

As for the final boss: drat it was easy, even on Extreme. I just Incinerated the head and then pumped TNT after TNT into the heart. Only took like two cycles and it was dead, I didn't even have to deal with any of the adds. It was still intense though and the first time I killed it, I died instantly which felt kind of bad because I popped the achievements and then they didn't really "count".

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I've been slowly working my way through it as well. Apparently the issue with the kill counter in the crypts level is you get a kill for ganking each of the skeletons that have crawled out of their tombs but haven't awakened. I think it was a joke. Agreed about the kill counter not showing enemies that haven't spawned in yet, that's annoying. I think it wouldn't be as bad if they made sure you never had full completion until every enemy had spawned in so you knew when everyone was dead.

One thing I looked in earlier levels that they abandoned at the end was early on you could always get back to the beginning of the level to comb for secrets. Even if there was an area you couldn't immediately retreat from, like a step drop or something, you'd eventually unlock a way back. I know the asylum level doesn't let you go back to the first two or three secrets, I think the asylum grounds level is the same.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Yeah, by the end of the game I was using a YouTube guide to help me look for secrets. Not to actually spoil the secret itself, but I'd find a video that had the secrets timestamped and just see which area they were entering to get the secret so I knew where I shouldn't move past without finding it. Secret hunting really kills the momentum if you're paranoid about missing one.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I magdumped my damage up+full auto sniper rifle into the final boss and it was honestly pretty good

there's almost no other situation you'd actually want those mods, but w/e

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Is there a particular trick or technique to consistently deflecting hatches in Cultic? My achievements indicate that I've done it correctly 15 times but I still have no idea how--can't seem to get the timing right if it's simply kicking it when it's thrown at you, and it seems much more awkward than deflecting projectile attacks in similar FPS games.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
spray at them with the sten :)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I missed weapon parts and made some bad decisions on upgrades:eng99:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Is there a particular trick or technique to consistently deflecting hatches in Cultic? My achievements indicate that I've done it correctly 15 times but I still have no idea how--can't seem to get the timing right if it's simply kicking it when it's thrown at you, and it seems much more awkward than deflecting projectile attacks in similar FPS games.
Does it count if you hit it with TNT and it explodes in your face, killing you

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Volte posted:

Does it count if you hit it with TNT and it explodes in your face, killing you

Hell yeah it does

IronicDongz posted:

spray at them with the sten :)

I just figured that out: you shoot them midair. Maybe there's a way to do it with your Mighty Boot, I don't know--but shooting them is way easier as it turns out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm pretty sure I've seen the prompt to grab them flash up while they're being thrown at me so you could probably just catch it. I suppose it probably wouldn't count towards the achievement though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

One thing I like about Cultic is the splashy sound enemies make on death- it's satisfying and fairly unique and hard to miss that it indicates a kill.

Also the upgraded pistol being amazing feels really good- most games you'd get the Sten and never touch the pistol again, but it's a genuinely viable weapon in most situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

IronicDongz posted:

I magdumped my damage up+full auto sniper rifle into the final boss and it was honestly pretty good

there's almost no other situation you'd actually want those mods, but w/e

I didn't because ammo for the fg42 seemed a little scarce. Do they drop more, not less, in the higher difficulties?